PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with my 'big head'

Laurel32
March 30th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I know this sounds odd but a girl at school today told me I have a big head. :( I didn't know quite how to respond so I just made a slight nervous smile and walked away...

Do people really notice that much? I haven't really thought about my head size before and now I am embarrassed to wear my hair up. :disgust:

Does anyone have any advice or something? What would you say?

AmyJorgensen
March 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I doubt you have a big head, or you probably would have heard about it as a child. It seems like such an ignorant thing for someone to say. They were probably just acknowledging your updo in an awkward and perhaps jealous way. It is such a silly thing to say that I wouldn't even let it get to me.

RocketDog
March 30th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I come from a family of big heads, so for me that would be a compliment! ;)

Whenever someone says something like that to me, I just say thanks and don't really think on it after that. Unless they are being really snerky, in which case I'll do an exaggerated eyeroll and comment to whomever I'm with that some people have no manners :P

Loviatar
March 30th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I would ignore her, sounds like she was just wanting to make a rude personal remark!

julya
March 30th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I have a big head. It just means I need bigger hats.

Anlbe
March 30th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I have a big head too, just means I sometimes have to wear mens hats. However even if you do I sincerely doubt the person at school actually noticed it. Like feet and hands the actual variety isn't that big and is quite difficult to judge by eye. No one ever seems to notice mine.
I never know how to respond to personal comments about my appearance wether they're positive, negative or neutral. Slightly bemused 'oh right' is still the way I respond. You don't know if it was a positive, negative or neutral comment so probably best to just carry on as before, it would be such a shame if a random comment made you self conscious

feralnature
March 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Rather a big head than a pin head.

If it were me, I would let it go in one of my big giant ears on my big giant head and out the other.

It was no doubt based on jealousy :)

joyful373
March 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I have a big head too.... I love Julya's reply. Nothing wrong with that! Just keep sporting the beautiful updos and know that all is well :)

DragonLady
Two words: Marilyn Monroe. She had a huge head. She's never been forgotten. :)

Presto
People with big heads are more likely to be picked to be on TV. Take it as a compliment, even if she didn't mean it that way.
I think it has to do with making the rest of you look smaller by comparison, or something else ridiculous like that. :rolleyes:

By contrast, people with exceptionally small heads kind of weird me out to look at them. Why yes, I have a big head too!

feralnature
March 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I would LOVE for the rest of me to smaller by comparison!

Tressie
March 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Extremely intelligent people have larger brains therefore they have larger heads! It's simple! (o:

AnneAdeline
March 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Yet another big-head here. *wave* I find that it isn't noticeable unless someone is looking for it.

We should start a club. :D

Deborah
March 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I just tell people that I need the big head to hold that extra big brain of mine. :)

Anje
March 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Eh, I've got a bigger head. Just means I have difficulty finding hats that'll fit, even with my hair down. It's really not noticeable, though, even when I wear my hair up. (Can't complain about it much, though, since having a "big head" can also mean being stuck up.)

If anything, it distracts from my humongo-feet and balances my big butt.

Themyst
March 30th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I know this sounds odd but a girl at school today told me I have a big head.

You should have asked her if it was as big as her "tact".:)

manderly
March 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM
You should have asked her if it was as big as her "tact".:)

Nah, I would've gone more along the lines of "not as big as your ass".

But I'm a biatch :p

JasmineDaisy
March 30th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I would just ignore her. It is not worth your time commenting back to a person who is being rude.

BranwenWolf
March 30th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I always get the big head remark because, well, it's big. I have to get hats for showing horses and I wear either 7 1/4 or 7 1/2. Lots of hat makers don't go bigger than 7 1/2.

My favorite comeback to "you have a huge head!" is....

"It's to contain my genius".

ChatoyantLocks
March 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM

That's a great line! :D

Nocturnal
March 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I wear mens hats. :) Don't think too much about it. :)

Xandergrammy
March 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I have a big head. It just means I need bigger hats.

Same here. And there's more room for more elaborate updos. :gabigrin:

I think I'll borrow this comeback!!

Katurday
March 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Nah, I would've gone more along the lines of "not as big as your ass".

But I'm a biatch :p
HEEEEY

I'm pretty proud of both my big head AND my big butt.
:shake:
Anyway, big heads are far more attractive than itty bitty creepy little ones IMHO.

KBG
March 30th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Another giant head checking in. I have to buy the xxl and men's hats as well. It's even crazier when my hair is longer (larger). I've had hairstylists comment about my head size...it can actually take a bit longer to style than normal to tiny (less scalp space? )heads.

manderly
March 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Anyway, big heads are far more attractive than itty bitty creepy little ones IMHO.

I agree, as I suffer from pin-head syndrome. This is exaggerated by my weight. I prefer not to wear my hair up because I end up with a teeny-tiny little head stuck ontop a monstrous body ;)

I would rather have a big head :D

susiemw
March 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM

ignore her.

she's thoughtless.

her comment may or may not be based in reality but as someone who does have a big head the only downside is
finding hats to fit is a pain in the butt... and since I wear
my hair up that makes it really difficult to find hats that fit!

susan

Tangles
March 30th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Being a pinhead is def annoying. It makes my shoulders look like a linebacker's in comparison, even though they're actually very normal sized.

earthdancer
March 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I have a very small head (can't get a hat to fit me) but I married 2 men (not at the same time) who have very large heads. I don't know what that means, except that I find people with big heads attractive.

Laurel32
March 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Thank you all so much... You have made my day and I won't be afraid of wearing my hair up. This has been a growing experiencing for me.

LutraLutra
March 31st, 2009, 02:50 AM
Forget about it, she was just being b*tchy.

I have a huge head, it's massive, it's bigger than a tall man's. Most hats balance on the crown of my head like a skull cap. It doesn't bother me at all. :)

Katze
March 31st, 2009, 08:01 AM
Forget about it, she was just being b*tchy.

I have a huge head, it's massive, it's bigger than a tall man's. Most hats balance on the crown of my head like a skull cap. It doesn't bother me at all. :)

me too. I can't wear womens' hats. My head was so big as a baby that they worried about me.

Once I was at a party and they started measuring peoples' heads. Of 40 people, the only other person with a larger head than me was a VERY unique looking man, on the border of being a 'little person', whose head was definitely, visibly large in comparison with his small body and short limbs. Mine being second largest was just funny (but not for me).

Oh, and my feet are exceptionally small (metric size 36-37, US size 6-7) for my body, and people DO notice that. Combined with a large head, it's not really that attractive. So I like to wear my hair down and wear big clunky shoes, or shoes that look wider or bigger than they are (Keens are great for this).

Don't worry about it. We all have something we feel self conscious about, but focusing on the positive goes a long way towards taking attention away from it.

JamieLeigh
March 31st, 2009, 08:06 AM
I'm sure you don't have a big head! This kind of thing is what usually, if not always, happens when girls who are in school decide to get away from the herd and do something on their own. The herd gets nervous and tries to make the girl feel bad about her individuality. Either ignore it or think up a snappy comeback. (Unfortunately, I'm reading this pre-coffee, or I'd be more help on that second choice....I love a good comeback!! :coffee:)

karli
March 31st, 2009, 10:44 AM
When I was 17, I was going to buy my first hat. The lady in the shop measured my head, started to laugh and said that I wouldn`t be able to wear a ladiehat.

That`s also a way to find out that you have a big head!

Big- or small-headed, you can have a good life.

ravenreed
March 31st, 2009, 11:32 AM
In high school, some girl randomly walked up to me and told me my nose is crooked. I have been paranoid about it ever since. Yes, it is just a tiny bit crooked, but I never would have noticed had I not stared at it for hours in the mirror after her comment!

The only way I can tell that my head is smaller than my girlfriends is that I get the hats they can't wear.

Spike
March 31st, 2009, 11:33 AM
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
-- Francis Bacon

I'm one of the "big heads" too.

Never really noticed until college, in a costume class when we went to make hats and took head sizes. The teacher said, "Oh, good, I NEED you!" and then plopped a felt fedora on me, saying "It needs a tiny bit of stretching." Hey, one of the tall girls was her glove stretcher, so it was pretty funny.

Noticed again years later in a photo of me and the gang, probably because I was sitting between two people with proportionately SMALL heads.

(One of us! One of us!! We will make her one of us!)

Wear your hair any way that makes you happy. One of the BEST things I learned in costuming was that every single human being has oddities--one shoulder higher than the other, one b**b bigger than the other, feet that don't quite match.

Pile your big hair up on your big head, and give 'em a big grin as you walk on.

Anje
March 31st, 2009, 11:34 AM
When I was 17, I was going to buy my first hat. The lady in the shop measured my head, started to laugh and said that I wouldn`t be able to wear a ladiehat.

That`s also a way to find out that you have a big head!

Big- or small-headed, you can have a good life.
Wow. When I bought my one and only *nice* hat (it's an orange fedora, and I love it!), I just had to have it steamed and stretched. I can't wear it with my hair in anything but a braid or loose, and it still can be snug, but at least I was able to get it adjusted to fit.

For all you big-headed folks: silicone swimcaps are the only way to go! (Latex = headaches)

Roseate
March 31st, 2009, 01:47 PM
It's funny that we seem to have a lot of big-headed folks here at LHC! I'm another. I can't buy a cheap sunhat, have to buy ones that come in real sizes or they perch uselessly on top of my giant melon. Big heads= more space for big brains, nothing wrong with that! :)

Tap Dancer
March 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM
I would have smiled and said something like, "A big head means a big brain. Your head is kinda small." :D

feralnature
March 31st, 2009, 02:05 PM
Actually, the big head, big brain stuff has some truth to it. Remember, babies who suffer from fetal alcohol syndrome, as well as some other problems, can be born with a small brain and a small head. Of course, this is not to say that ALL persons with a smallish head are in any way impaired.

Beloved
March 31st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Hi Laurel!

I have a big head too. :p I've always been fine with it... my dad says all beautiful women have large heads. ;) And it's true! Movie stars and television personalities are known for having big heads. People with big heads are just more fun to look at. I have a friend, pretty girl, but not beautiful, because she has a small head. If she had a bigger head, she could be really beautiful. Pay attention the next time you see a gorgeous woman, because she probably has a big head like yours!

I think the beauty of big heads is evolutionary; humans have sacrificed a lot biologically speaking in order to have large brains. So when we see a person who is displaying this preferred feature in force....that person is just so attractive.

Next time smile and tell the person "all beautiful women have big heads!" <preen> :)

heidi w.
March 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM
I know this sounds odd but a girl at school today told me I have a big head. :( I didn't know quite how to respond so I just made a slight nervous smile and walked away...

Do people really notice that much? I haven't really thought about my head size before and now I am embarrassed to wear my hair up. :disgust:

1. This is an opinion. This is not a fact.

2. No, people do not notice that much. They're too busy thinking about themselves. There's this cool book title (a book I never read since the title says it all): What You Think of Me is None of My Business. A cliche that pops in my mind is something about If you only knew how little people really think about you, you would not worry what people think about you.

Back to people are too busy thinking about their own problems to notice.

3. Wear your hair any way you like. Be yourself. It's all you can be anyway!

heidi w.

longinthehair
March 31st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Big head, big brains..
I've got a big head..no shame in that.

Nicole.Amina
March 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM
So you have a big head. So do I. The only thing you can do is love it. :rolling:

The size of your head is not something you can change so why let it bother you? From what I've heard women used to pluck their hairlines because large foreheads were considered beautiful. (I don't know if you have a large head overall or a large forehead, I have both lol.)

And for someone to comment about the size of your head is silly. The only purpose it served was to make you self conscious. It's not like you can do anything with the comment other than let it bother you. So don't let it.

Unicorn
March 31st, 2009, 10:35 PM
I don't have a big head, but I do have big ears, in my next life I'll try for a matching set. :)

Seriously, I inherited my mothers huge ears, Only two people have ever mentioned/noticed it. One of my neices and my ex SIL, I she had really tiny ears that I found amusing while she found my oversized one's equaly amusing. Don't worry about it, it's made no difference to my life.

Unicorn

RancheroTheBee
March 31st, 2009, 10:56 PM
What an incredibly weird thing to say to someone. I'm always irked when someone points out something about me, as if I had no idea.

"You're short."

That's why I can't reach the top of the cabinet. THANK you.

"Your hands are really weird and bony."

Better to strangle you with, my dear.

manderly
April 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM
In high school, some girl randomly walked up to me and told me my nose is crooked. I have been paranoid about it ever since. Yes, it is just a tiny bit crooked, but I never would have noticed had I not stared at it for hours in the mirror after her comment!

The only way I can tell that my head is smaller than my girlfriends is that I get the hats they can't wear.

LOL, I had someone on Fark.com tell me I had a wonky eye. I never saw it.....ever, until he said that. Now I can see it in photos :D Luckily I don't notice it in my reflection!

zift
April 1st, 2009, 03:50 AM
Hey I have big feet! But that doesn't keep me from wearing sandals hehee:D

Maybe the next time someone says something about the size of your head you should make a comment about the size of their brain;)
People always told me my head was small and I felt bad. One day at school we measured our head circumferences and I had the biggest head amongst them all*lol* probably my face is small and they think my head's small or my shoulders are too wide or anything.
Anyway just don't worry about every comment, I used to do that and it does nothing but occupy your brain. Like everyone else suggested wear your hair however you like:)

ravenreed
April 1st, 2009, 04:44 AM
My mom is silly, but silly in a good way. She is obsessed with pointy ears. We were out having lunch and she said, kind of loudly, "Our waitress has pointy ears, like an elf!" I pointed out to her that SHE might think that is a great thing, the waitress might not. Sometimes I think people make comments to us that we interpret as negative, and they might not be meant that way.

ravenreed
April 1st, 2009, 04:45 AM
LOL, I had someone on Fark.com tell me I had a wonky eye. I never saw it.....ever, until he said that. Now I can see it in photos :D Luckily I don't notice it in my reflection!

Well, just by looking at your profile pic, your eyes look fine to me! Maybe he is an optometrist and eye obsessed? :p

Ndnlady
April 1st, 2009, 04:48 AM
I have a big head too! Hubby makes fun of me sometimes, I just tell him my brain is bigger therefore making me smarter then him!:):p

helen2806
April 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM
my whole family are big heads - and my mum loves to go for the 'it's to fit all the brains in' approach lol. anyway, like others have said it's nothing to worry about at all!

In fact I've read that big heads are seen as looking cuter because babies have proportionally larger heads compared to their bodies than adults, so bigger headed adults look more youthful!

marialena
April 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Big head, huge brain..The secret of really clever people! :)

Carolyn
April 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Having a big head makes you look thinner.