PDA

View Full Version : Hair toy help . . .

Silver & Gold
April 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Ok, I purchased this item because it was so unique that I just had to add it to my collection.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg46/veeless/fish.jpg

I seems as if it is too short to be a decent hatpin and the end is certainly blunt enough to be a hairpin. So I have to assume this was it's intended use.

The pin portion (including the top) measures in at a tad above 4" with the working length being 2 1/2 inches. The length of the chain including the length of the articulated fish (way too cute) measures in at just over 11". This makes it so that if I were to put it into a bun that sat on the back of the head (about midway, neither high nor low) the chain hangs down and touches my shoulder.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg46/veeless/Photo6.jpg

So I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever seen such an item and if they have, do they know how it is worn?

LifeisAdventure
April 2nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
I have no idea how you wear it but it's very unique and cute!! Looks great in your hair, too. :) Nice find!

Red Jezebel
April 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Oh that is very lovely! The way you wear it in the photo is very pretty.

MoonCreature
April 2nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
It's really beautifull! I haven't seen anything like it before though. How about having the stick horizontaly trough a smaller bun of some type, so that a part sticks out, and then putting the chain over the bun and hang it on the part that sticks out..? That would at least make it a bit shorter. Don't think it's really stable though..

Alaia
April 2nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
That's absolutely lovely!

I'd just wear it like you are wearing it. Perhaps drape the fish over the bun in order to make the chain shorter but I think it looks nice like that, but it's definitely not something you'd wear every day.

Silver & Gold
April 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried draping the chain over the bun and it does work nicely . . . it just seemed odd that the chain was so long in the first place so I wondered if perhaps anyone knew anything about these.
It looks distinctly Asian and I've seen a lot of dangly Asian hairsticks . . . just never one that dangled quite so far.

lora410
April 2nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Maybe someone made it for half ups so that the fish graces your hair?

Silver & Gold
April 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Maybe someone made it for half ups so that the fish graces your hair?

I tried that too and it looks nice that way but I didn't show it in the photo because I was afraid the fish would be less visible for the camera against my hair. I also suspect that a half updo bun with a braid below might be nice.
It's just such an odd piece and yet I really, really like it and so I want to be able to wear it well.

Islandgrrl
April 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Where did you find that??? I love it! I think you're wearing it perfectly, by the way. Reminds me of fishing.

Silver & Gold
April 2nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Where did you find that??? I love it! I think you're wearing it perfectly, by the way. Reminds me of fishing.

It was being sold on eBay as a vintage item. I took a chance because the cost wasn't too high and the item was so unusual. I really like it too. I'm drawn to the unusual.

CurlyNinja
April 2nd, 2008, 06:27 PM
It's possible that at one point the chain was shorter and at some point in the piece's life it broke and was replaced by the long one you see it with now. It's so pretty and unique, I just love it.

Silver & Gold
April 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
It's possible that at one point the chain was shorter and at some point in the piece's life it broke and was replaced by the long one you see it with now. It's so pretty and unique, I just love it.

Although that is possible, it truly looks like it's the original chain. The color and age of the metals seem to match perfectly and there is no sign that anything has been changed/added.

I'm so glad to see a few other women love it as well. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just turning into a very weird old lady!