PDA

View Full Version : Calling for all who reached at least waist length!

Lile
March 30th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I just thought we(I mean "we" who would like to grow healthy long long long hair)could really learn a lot from you.
What's your secret?

1.best shampoo?
2.special hair care routine?
3.to trim or not to trim?
4.a single best hair product you've ever used...

Please share with us your experiences,so that any time we are back to this thread could read a lot of your "secrets";)

AmyJorgensen
March 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I don't think I have any secrets, but just avoid the blowdryer, flatiron, and hairspray....and be patient.

AmyJorgensen
March 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I do believe in trimming, but I am more about maintaining the length I want than seeing how far I can go. I trim twice a year...however much I need to cut to remain between waist and tailbone. I have IMPROVED the QUALITY of my hair with Dr. Bronner's Shampoo, Suave coneless conditioner/w added EVO and jojoba, and Kimberlily's DeFrizz Spray as a detangler/leave-in, but honestly I achieved the length with normal shampoo and coney Pantene conditioner from before I joined this site.

Islandgrrl
March 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm approaching waist right now, but I've been there and longer before. My secret: benign neglect. In other words, clean it when it needs cleaning, pile it up on your head and forget about it.

Tornerose
March 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM
when wet, bun it, only comb when completely dry (however many bundays that takes), and was as little as possible. Stay away from heat (blowdryers, curling irons, flat irons, etc).
Oh and forget to trim it for a while. Once a year is more than enough ;)

eresh
1.best shampoo?
I use Andrelon (shampoo with cones and sles) for greasy hair on my scalp and Andrelon shine on the length.

Always a braid at night, no products like gel/hairspray, no blowdrying, wear it up a lot to avoid damage, and I wash it once every 4 days.
Oh, I do give myself scalpmassages :)
And I mist my hair before I make an updo with plain water, sometimes I add a few drops of jojobaoil (or Jasmin EO when I'm in the mood for scent).
Instead of elastics with metal thingies I use pantyhose.

I search & destroy, I only trim if I get frustrated with my ends, but that isn't monthly or even half yearly.

Palmolive anti-tangle conditioner

(my length is past the knees)

spidermom
I have trimmed my hair a lot since I began growing it out. However, for one year from July 18, 2008 through July 17, 2009, I am not trimming. I feel confident to let it grow now because there isn't much appreciable damage. I have to search to find splits these days;. If I had damage, I'd trim to get rid of it. I do some S&D to maintain the good condition, but I don't have much patience for it. If S&D sessions get long because there's so much to find, I'll just go have it cut back to a place above the most damage.

For care, I favor CWC, diluting the shampoo, and the most natural products that I can find/afford, although I'm not terribly picky. Ever since I discovered CWC, most products work. If the shampoo seems harsh, I'll double up on the dilution.

AJoifulNoise
March 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM
There really aren't any "hard and fast" rules for growing to waist and longer. That said, my hair seemed to improve when I cut back shampooing and stepped up COing. Switching detangling from brush to comb helped, too. Using ties as infrequently as possible has cut down on breakage. Wearing it up has kept if from getting caught in/on/between things.

And, it helps that I have fast-growing, hardy hair genes.

ETA: I started off not trimming for 3 years. But, that led to thin ends. So, now I'm on a schedule: 1-1.5 inch trim every (about) 6 months. I trim my own hair.

I don't do any special treatments as they never seem to make any positive difference. I will say that coconut oil is the most amazing thing. It keeps my end smooth and silky. I scrunch in a little immediately after washing. I would say that's the single best thing I've ever used.

sneakybea
March 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I have waist length hair, and I like it! I've tried a couple different things, and what works best for me is Neutrogena Triple Moist Shampoo and Conditioner---in the winter, if I am having scalp issues, they have a dry scalp shampoo that works much better than things like Head & Shoulders. I've tried CO, and it just seems to weigh down my waves. My biggest piece of advice is to use what works best for you---experiment with what others use if you'd like, but if it doesn't work go back to what does. Everyone's hair is different.

jera
March 30th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I don't think any one routine works for everybody because we're all individuals and our hair is different from everyone else's. :) But I do agree that quitting the blow dryer and other heat styling methods works for most people. Hair doesn't seem to like heat. :p

DragonLady
March 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
1.best shampoo?

I think I've settled on Flex Extra Body, diluted with tap water 50/50. I love the way it smells, my hair gets clean, and it doesn't leave me itchy or flaky. Can't say it gives me extra body, though.

Weekly catnip, weekly SMT's

I plan to get a trim in a couple of months just to even up my hemline.

LHC. Everything else is just an also-ran. :)

mira-chan
March 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Length, a bit past classic.

What's your secret?
None really. All the information is on this site somewhere. :D Though the no heat, damaging chemicals and all applies (never used any of them in my life).

1.best shampoo?
Umm, none. Best one for me is herbal CO with methi (fenugreek) when I'm not too lazy to do it. Definitely no sulfates though.

Wear it up all the time. Oiling it often with scalp massages but otherwise forgetting it till wash. Pre-wash deep oiling.

Didn't trim for a couple of years, got fairytale ends. Trimmed a couple of years (minor though) still have fairytale ends. Not too much difference in condition so either way works. S&D occasionally does great things too.

Oils in general seem to have given the most benefit.

HairColoredHair
March 30th, 2009, 06:39 PM
My hair reached waist (heck, almost tailbone) with me being absolutely horrid to it.

To get any longer, though, I had to start being kind (keeping my hair up, deep conditioning, gentle combing, etc...)

Anje
March 30th, 2009, 07:02 PM
1.best shampoo?
I don't really use shampoo much. I tend to CO wash with (protein-free) Suave Naturals, and will on rare occasion shampoo with whatever cone-free stuff I have around to clarify or get gunk from a hair experiment out. WO worked pretty well for me, but my ends got dry despite oiling, so I think I need some conditioner.

Not much of one. I wash my hair when it gets dirty, which varies by season -- I get oily in 2-3 days in the winter, but I can make it up to a week between washes in the summer. A little coconut oil all through it while it's still damp makes it easier to comb through. I normally wear it up, sometimes braided. Tend to wear it down more around home (buns hit the back of the couch). I don't do ponytails because I've had bad breakage from them in the past.

I trimmed a little, but not much, and I'm paying for it right now with a thinner hemline than I would prefer. I'm hoping my taper will grow out a bit, and spent a few months maintaining at tailbone to thicken. Thickness vs. length is a balancing act I'm still working on.

Hmmm. I like SMTs for when my ends get dry, and useful for undoing problems from trying out protein conditioners. Does LHC count as a hair product, because it's because of LHC that I am happy with my hair and have learned to love it, despite its annoying properties (which everyone has, but what those are differ).

Background: I've used a few temporary dyes that might still be on my ends, and I've got several applications of henna on my length. Never flat-ironed, my hair hasn't seen a curling iron, and the length probably hasn't seen a blowdrier more than a few times. My fine hair tangles and splits easily, though it dislikes protein. Catnip doesn't seem very conditioning for me, unfortunately, though I wish it were able to give me a bit of slip and stop the splits.

Fiferstone
March 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I've got waist length hair (just), and for the past 2 years I've used LUSH Karma Komba and Jungle conditioner. Lots of people don't like LUSH, but I love the way the shampoo smells. However, I definitely recommend CWC, using the shampoo "puck" only on the hair on your scalp. It took me at least 2 if not 3 weeks for my hair to recover from the switch from the conventional grocery-store shampoo (pantene, for years), but I've never been happier with it. I also do not use heat to dry or style it (my hair is fine and it's usually only slightly damp an hour after washing). I'm trying to better about trimming the split ends on a regular basis, and keeping it more up than down (my default was a ponytail - all the time - probably not the best thing I could do). I also wash every 2 days, but I'm finding (since I switched to LUSH), I can go 3 days. CWC may just help me to solve the "dirty" scalp hair, bone-dry length problem I'm having. Next stop is to see if my actual terminal length is anywhere close to what I've estimated that it could be, but it'll take time. No problem there, the hair has been long for over 20 years, and it's survived my son's infancy. That's when I knew I was a longhair, when having a baby pulling on it didn't make me run for the scissors.

princess
March 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Now my hair is not so great but I am now taking iron and B12 and so I am going to be alright.
Yes eat a healthy diet. Plenty of protein.
I have never used any chemical dyes, or straightened my hair so I do not have that problem.
Not going to do so in the future too.
I have used kesavardhini and it helped my hair. I have used coconut milk hair pack and ithas helped my hair
Only one product did not agree with my hair. It had castor oil and almond oil with curry leaves by the beautician who lived next door. |

Otherwise I stick to plain coconut oil.

That is everything I do. I do not go for a lot of other hair oils or any herbal product I hear about.

Omens
March 30th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I'm going to admit that I've done everything bad. I dye a lot and have used multiple evil chemicals that dry out and destroy hair (I even bleached over the dye...), all back in the days when I had a change of heart about the color. I must have the strongest hair genes ever, as it has reached waist fairly easily with no signs of slowing, even though I've constantly worn it down and slept with it down.

Throughout the dyeing, I've always conditioned, A LOT. That really helped my hair when it was getting dull looking or feeling more coarse. I switch off between Pantene conditioner and Infusium 23. I never had a problem with buildup because I wash every day. But I slather it on---my hair gets drenched when I'm in the shower. I make sure that the ends get completely covered in conditioner. I also, as bad as it may sound, don't wash it all out. I leave some of it in so that the hair feels a little slimy. It really cuts down on how much hair I lose when I brush, since my hair loves to tangle. And again, since I wash so frequently, I've never had an issue with the build up like a lot of others do. I don't know, seems to work for my hair :shrug:

If the hair gods were fair...I would so be cursed bald.

lynnala
March 31st, 2009, 12:11 AM
I just hit waist so I'm so happy to be able to post here, I feel like a grown-up! :cheese:

1. No shampoo, my hair hates it. I wash with Indian herbs, and only once a week.
2. Always braid at night, silk pillowcase
3. I do a trim when the ends look ragged. I guess twice a year.
4. Indian herbs again

Elbereth
March 31st, 2009, 12:18 AM
1) best shampoo
My homemade shampoo bars. Before I learned to make my own shampoo, I was a loyal Chagrin Valley customer.

2)Special hair care routine
Benign neglect. Usually, the things we do to our hair (chemical treatments, excessive trimming, products etc.) cause much more damage than things we fail to do. I wash my hair twice a week and wear it up with hair friendly toys. That's pretty much it. Oh, and avoid salons and haircare advice from anyone who wants to sell you their products. Plenty of LHC instead.

3)To trim or not to trim
It really depends, on your hair and your goals. As long as you trim less than you grow, you will gain length. Some people can go without any trims at all (perhaps save s&d missions), others prefer regular small trims.

4)A single best hair product I've ever used
I really don't do much products. I am happy with my homemade shampoo, ACV and some jojoba oil. I think our new users are often focused on products, as that is what salon industry tells us: everything depends on finding the right products. Not true. Gentle handling of hair is just as important, it just doesn't sell so well.
So, my "favorite product" has to be all the great hairtoys out there, because they make wearing my hair up fun and thus, contribute greatly to its protection and wellbeing.

LittleOrca
March 31st, 2009, 12:35 AM
Everyone's hair is different, and you need to know that first of all. :) I am still learning that myself and trying not to oogle all the nice hair and hate my own. :lol: But I am still willing to answer the questions simply.

1.best shampoo?

1. It's a toss up between Pantene (when it works right) and Nexxus.
2. The only really special care I do is when I swim. For that I do my 'Swimming Routine.' [Swimmer shampoo, swimmer conditioner, regular conditioner soak for 5 minutes, coconut serum on the ends, air/blow dry (depending on how cold it is), comb. Then wash with regular shampoo and a regular conditioner soak the next night again before slipping back into regular routine.] This has been shortened though by using Nexxus, which is niiiiiiiiice and makes my hair back to normal in once night versus 2 after swimming.
I also sleep in a satin cap. It keeps the tangles away.
3. I don't trim often and when I do its only about 1 inch, but I have done 5 before about 2-3 years ago.
4. Ignoring the wonderful shampoo that gets the chlorine out of my hair, I'd have to say Nexxus' leave in conditioner spray.

JamieLeigh
March 31st, 2009, 08:36 AM
1.best shampoo? These days I CO, using Suave Naturals tropical coconut. There's really no special 'poo that I keep running back to. As long as it clarifies well, once a month, it's fine by me. :)

2.special hair care routine? I subscribe to Teazel's theory of benign neglect. ;) (As in, the less you mess with your hair, the better it will look - embrace what you have!)

3.to trim or not to trim? If you're a fan of the blunt hemline, trimming is an option. But if you like the way the fairytale hemline looks (longer taper in the middle), then no trimming for you. Simple S&D works well. :)

4.a single best hair product you've ever used I'm loving mixing about 3/4 cup of my tropical coconut conditioner with about 1/4 cup of honey. (averages out to 1 part honey, 3 parts conditioner, for shorter lengths) I leave it on for 2 hours under a plastic cap, then shower it out. Since I do CO, I don't even have to do anything else to it, and it gives it super-shine and softness. :D

janeytilllie
March 31st, 2009, 08:56 AM
1.best shampoo?

I don't use SLS shampoos or cone conditoners. I do use shampoo bars which are soap for hair :) At the moment im using simplysoaps hemp hair shampoo bar. For a conditoner I use a shea butter soap on my lengths.

I braid my hair for bed and put coconut oil on my ends every night. I also sleep on a silk pillowcase. I do not use heat, I always wear buns and I do scalp massages :)

I do search and destroy. I will only trim now and again.

Simplysoaps hemp shampoo bar im in love ! :D

vindo
March 31st, 2009, 09:03 AM
Not really any secrets but here I go:

1.best shampoo?
Earthly Delight, Have not found anything milder yet ingredientwise, but still very functional.
Same as most here..I never use any heatstyling, wear it up, S&D, careful handling, high bun at night held with claw clip
Regular Trims and S&D make a big difference for me
4.a single best hair product you've ever used
Camellia Oil

Nightshade
March 31st, 2009, 09:11 AM
1.best shampoo?
I use Max Green Scalp Rescue shampoo (http://www.maxgreenalchemy.com/item--Scalp-Rescue-Shampoo--MGASH.html). Not so much because I have scalp issues, though it does help the itchies in the winter, but because it's light, natural, SLS free, and smells fantastic.

Cassia/Henna blend on the roots monthly, CWC washing, safe hairtoys, wearing hair up often.

While growing (I had lots of damage) I trimmed 1/4in per month, which was half my growth, so I still gained length while eliminating damaged hair that was just encouraging more breakage. Now I trim about an inch every other month to keep at my current length as I grow out the last of the damage.

Henna. (In my cause diluted with cassia to get the right color).

icydove
March 31st, 2009, 09:36 AM
Here are my answers:

1.best shampoo? a sulfate-free one. I typically use Indian herbs for washing, but I occasionally use Giovanni 50/50 shampoo. I use a sulfate shampoo for clarifying once every few months or after swimming on vacation, etc.
2.special hair care routine? Seamless comb, safe hair toys, containing hair (braids, buns) to minimize tangles, avoiding regular use of sulfates
3.to trim or not to trim? I think it depends on your amount of damage. Damaged hair seems to affect the healthy hair, probably because of the friction. I search and destroy occasionally and trim once or twice a year.
4.a single best hair product you've ever used... elderberry flower (elderflower) tea and coconut oil give my hair wonderful softness.

lora410
March 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Not sure if it counts or not but I am close to waist. I shampoo every 2 or 3 days. I scalp massage with some of my scalp mixture and then shampoo with avalon organics biotin shampoo, no conditioner, and rinse with white vinager mixed with lavander,and cinnamin eos and jasmine perfume oil. This gives me moisture well and then I do a drop of oil after that. I switched from a comb to my BBB becuase the comb seems rougher on my hair.

jel
March 31st, 2009, 10:20 AM
My hair is past hip-length.

1.best shampoo?

Any, well diluted, as part of CWC. I'm looking forward to trying Dairy Whip if it ever arrives...

I'm a hennahead and I believe it's thanks to the strengthening properties of henna that I was able to grow my hair.

Personally, I chose not to trim until I reach my goal. That's because I'm too lazy to bother with trims myself, too tight to go to a hairdresser, to impatient to reach tailbone (I started at barely shoulder length, heavily layered), and I like fairytale ends on me. I do S&D from time to time...

Oil as a leave-in, especially for the ends. My favourites are olive, castor and coconut, but I like them all!

joyfulmom4
March 31st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Current favorite shampoos and conditioners are:
no-cone, no-sls products: giovanni ttt
coney, sls products: tresemme anti-breakage

Special hair care routines? None really. The best thing I've done for my hair is to avoid all chemical treatments and heat styling products. For years, I just used cheap shampoo (daily) and combed it out with a wide-toothed hair pick. I got my hair to almost classic length that way. I wore it down all the time too. I've only begun doing other things since I found LHC six months ago. I think the heat and chemical stuff is the biggest hair-damaging factor out there. Frequent washing and harsher hair products pale by comparison.

I'm not currently trimming, but I trimmed for years. I used to get 2"-4" cut off my hair regularly as I was growing from shoulder to tailbone length. I think the regular trims helped me to keep my hair healthier on the ends and also to keep the thickness as it grew. I probably would have reached this length years ago, but with much more taper. Now, as I grow it longer, I will avoid trims unless I absolutely feel they're needed and I expect I'll have some tapering or fairytaling. :)

***addendum*** I should clarify that when I said I got 2"-4" trims "regularly" that's probably not the right word choice. It was not frequent, but I did them throughout the 8 years I grew my hair. The trims were once or twice a year. Otherwise, I'd have never gotten it this long. lol!

No real "miracle" products, but I do like giovanni direct leave-in conditioner, sweet almond oil, Moroccan oil and Flexi-8 clips (not a hair "product" but I love 'em so much I just had to add that).

I honestly believe patience is the biggest factor. I don't believe in miracle products or hair growth aids or elaborate hair routines. If hanging upside down, massaging your scalp all the time, sitting for hours under shower caps with special conditioning treatments and other similar things help to pass the time while your hair grows, great. Otherwise, take up knitting while you wait. ;)

rhysiana
March 31st, 2009, 10:45 AM
Current length: waist+
Has been in the past: tailbone

I'm going to put in another vote for benign neglect being the best secret weapon, with trims 1-2 times a year. That was what I did pre-LHC, and I've pretty much always had long hair. My since-discovering-LHC additions have been:

-shampooing only the scalp
-switching to cone-free conditioner (this one mostly just reduced the amount of ridiculous slip my fine hair can get when over-coned)
-doing a diluted vinegar final rinse (stepping it up from a final cold water rinse and giving my hair better untangly-ness)

I wash my hair 2, sometimes 3 times a week.

Also, my hair is almost always in a braid or updo, even before I was thinking about protecting the hair more, just because the fine hairs halo out and get all over everywhere.

I'm eager to see if my LHC routine additions will let me get very far beyond tailbone this time around in the long hair journey.

Silverlox
March 31st, 2009, 12:46 PM
What's your secret?

Sorry, I really don't have any hair care secrets.
There's no magic :magic:, or holy grail of haircare. :toast:

1. best shampoo?

My hair doesn't get to choose, my wallet does all the choosing. I buy my extremely common shampoos and ditto conditioners at a surplus store, they are basically regular, commercial store brand 'poos, each and every one of them probably laden with sulphates and cones.

However, I super dilute any and every shampoo before using. Both to reduce waste and to more easily spread them over my hair when washing. I use 1-2 teaspoons of shampoo to 1/4 litre of water.
That's approx 8.5 US fl oz and 8.8 UK fl oz.
Why, oh why do these imperial measurements differ, not only from metrics, but even by the same name from one country to another. That makes them even harder to ever comprehend for us metric people. :rant::couch:
Basically, I use an old, empty shampoo bottle, with a screw-off cork to mix the tiny bit of shampoo with a full bottle of water.

I only wash my hair about once a week as it doesn't really get dirty or greasy.

First, I do a pre-wash heavy oiling of entire hair, scalp to hem, preferably the night before wash, otherwise a couple of hours before. Oh! And most weeks, I start that off by applying monistat to my scalp. Not to enhance growth, because, frankly, I haven't seen any difference at all, but to reduce shedding where I have seen a big difference!

The wash consists of a CWC, where I only shampoo the scalp area. If necessary, as in very oily, I shampoo twice with my über diluted 'poo, mostly once is enough.

After rinsing out the second C and towel drying by means of a turbie twist, I add some leave-in and/or oil to the bottom 6-10" of hair. Depends on how much of the stuff I manage to pour in my hand, there's nothing even remotely scientific about it. I start at the very ends and work my way up a bit, "wiping" hands in hair, until everything has been deposited in hair.

Then I let it air dry.

After that, I pretty much ignore it completely, except for daily combing/braiding/bunning until the next wash day comes around.

Count that as one more vote for benign neglect. :rockerdud

That's completely up to you, the needs of your hair, what you're comfortable with and your preferences as to what kind of hemline you'd like to have, blunt or fairytailed.

I tend to trim only once or twice a year, about 2-3" total a year. I don't mind fairytails and generally only trim when the very ends feel "worn" and tangle more than usual. On the other hand, I rarely do any "real" S&D missions. More like, - if I notice a fairy knot or a split end while combing/handling hair, I'll cut the tip of that particular strand and perhaps take a general look at my ends to see if it's time for a trim. However, it rarely evolves into full S&D sessions, though.

Since my hair is ultra fine and light grey, the individual strands are practically impossible to see, no matter the amount of lighting. :eye: Trying to do a full and thorough S&S simply makes me completely cross-eyes trying to focus on the tips of my invisible strands. :dizzy:

Sorry, don't have one.

After having joined LHC, my main adventure has been to try oiling. This turned out very well, as my hair was apparently a lot drier than I ever knew. I thought I just had frizzy hair, but apparently it was lacking in moisture.
It's still a bit frizzy though, even on a good day, but that's simply its nature. Oiling has made it much more manageable, though, and cut down on both splits and frizzes! :thumbsup:

My main oils are coconut oil and Nightshades Triple Moon Anointing Oil. They work really well for my hair!

Other than that, I've found no magic ingredients, no special product of any kind.

My hair has always grown well and rather quickly. I get approx 3/4-1" a month without even trying. This is of course a major reason why I haven't been more adventurous when it comes to trying umpteen different types of hair care products/supplements/routines.

I'm a firm believer of: If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Oh, and don't take any supplements. Nope, not even a multi vitamin.
Somehow, I've not only managed to survive with all my nails and teeth still intact, :silly: my hair has also continued to grow, so far to classic. :cheese:

UP Lisa
March 31st, 2009, 01:08 PM
For me, not letting it tangle, and treating it as gently as possible are key. My hair tangles VERY easily, and once it does, it is impossible to remove the tangles without damaging the hair.

I always condition to try to keep it from drying out, and I wear it up most of the time. I braid it at night, and do sleep on a silk/satin pillowcase.

Brushing and combing are hard on my hair. I try to do as little of it as possible.

Helen Baq
March 31st, 2009, 01:56 PM
I don't really have any special hair care routine, or at least I didn't have one all the way to TBL. Just the same old song: don't use heat, don't use a hairbrush on wet hair, comb gently starting from the bottom up, don't rip through tangles - gently free your hair, shampoo as little as possible, and keep your hair in braids and/or buns. Also, beware of zippers!!! I shampoo about twice a week in winter and I can usually slow that down to once a week in summer.

I didn't have my hair trimmed for about three years, maybe four, but then I cut off six inches to help even it up. I prefer regular trims, about once every six months, or so.

I don't have any special hair products to recommend. I found SLS to be a big problem for me and all sulfates cause me irritation to some extent, so I use organic all natural stuff. If I were going to recommend anything as a favorite, it would be ACV rinse. I mix the ACV with filtered, refrigerated water and pour it on after shampooing, then I don't rinse it out. My hair has gotten so soft and shiny from it since I started using it. :)

Monchhichi
March 31st, 2009, 02:18 PM
What's your secret?
I don't think I have one. ;)

1.best shampoo?
I use everything from shampoos with cones and SLS to Ghassoul.

Braid at night, no blowdryer, no hairspray, no gel.

For about a decade I only cut my hair once in three years. I usually was at classical length before the trim and between mid-back and waist after it. About four years ago I started trimming my hair once or twice a year. I now cut off a few cm, if I start sitting on my hair.

Cannot recommend anything. :confused:

Forever_Sophie
March 31st, 2009, 02:22 PM
So excited to finally be at this length! (pic in profile)

What works for me:
~ Mega Vitamins for the hair from Vitamin World. Makes a noticable difference (classmates commented when I was in uni!).
~ Airdry, my hairdresser called over the salon manager to feel how healthy my hair is :)
~ Products - I think a leave in is important, I like ABBA Pure Gentle. My fav shampoos are actually Herbal Essences (Long Term Relationship, Break's Over...& their conditioners), also Sunsilk De-Frizz (shampoo).
~ 1 product? hmmmm...I guess the Pure Gentle.
~ I trim as needed, maybe a couple times a year.
~ I braid at night BUT just a day or so ago realized the importance of putting the elastic higher. I thought it was time for a trim then realized that was making my ends look...off. They're healthy (today I was scheduled to take a couple inches off!!).

tinker bug
March 31st, 2009, 04:12 PM
1. Best shampoo is no shampoo for me. Every once in a while I'll distribute the oils down to the ends from the scalp, but my sensitive skin just can't handle shampoo anymore. I'm a CO kind of girl :3

2. I don't think there's much of a difference between my routine and the consensus here at LHC. I CO no-cone with suave coconut when I need it (I usually go 4 days or more before wash day), oil when I need it (about every other night on my ends--on a side note, has anyone ever used tuscan oil? It has some cones in it, but I've used it with acceptable results. My hair seems to really "suck it up" and it doesn't leave any residue, with less chance of over oiling). I trim about every four months and do a little pampering whenever I feel I need it :D

3. Again, I trim about every 4 months, and I really think you should trim sparingly while growing. I tried the no-trim thing, and it left me really without a hemline at all. I wish I would've trimmed more between BSL and waist, because I think I'm going to have to cut off quite a bit of damage now that had been left over. Maybe the Hair Fairy will come and save my nasty ends...please?

4. Single best hair product...hmmm... I really dig my cheap conditioner. Especially on days when I visit a the hair care isle and see $10+ bottles when I skate by at 99 cents. Today I saw a $27 bottle of nexus conditioner at costco!! Luckily I persuaded my mom out of buying it and she's letting me clarify her tonight to remove all of her cone residue and then I'll SMT her, if she lets me... I forgot to add--using a spray bottle is really a godsend for me. My waves get stretched out and de-clumpify (hahaha, do you know what I mean??) quickly , so I fill a small spray bottle with water and one long squirt of my cheap condish and it really gives me great body, restores my wave pattern, and DBF loves the smell. I also tried a protein treatment at Sally's last week (it was on sale, I couldn't help myself!) and had great results. i left it in for about an hour and a half then rinsed and my hair hasn't felt healthier.

Happy growing, I hope to see you all at waist+ very soon!!

Darkhorse1
March 31st, 2009, 04:44 PM
1.best shampoo Pantene daily clarifying shampoo, Herbal Essence Degunkify, Head and Shoulders when dandruff is a problem,

2.special hair care routine? Using a strong conditioner as I work in the elements (I highly recommend Pantene daily moisturizing conditioner if you don't mind cones), Joico leave-in detangler, L'oreal color fast conditioner. Also, braiding hair/putting it up when at the barn/in the elements helps reduce breakage--not totally, but it reduces it.

3.to trim or not to trim? Trim. If you have splits, they can go further up the shaft and breakage may occur.

4.a single best hair product you've ever used... Honestly? Olive oil! Thanks to the peeps here, when my hair was getting dry/dull looking, olive oil before a clarifying worked amazingly. That and cool water rinse.

IndigoInk
March 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM
This might be supremely unhelpful, LOL.

What's your secret?
Benign Neglect

1.best shampoo?
My favourites are V05 either Blackberry Sage Tea Therapy or Lush Godiva and Hybrid Bars. Anything with cones tends to give me nasty itchy flaky scalp and oily hair.

Wash every 3-4 days, wear it up all the time, ignore it for 5+ years.

I haven't been in a salon since before I got pregnant (DD is now 7 LOL) I did cut my hair myself once last year when I got tired of my two-tone hair from my old dye jobs. Not the best idea but my hair is all virgin now and looking forward to henna. I plan on trimming every 2-3 months from here on out.

Coconut Oil

My hair is past waist and that has a lot to do with ignoring it for several years. However in that time I didn't dye it, I have never been big on heat styling (don't own a blowdryer or curling iron or anything) but I paid a lot of attention to it as far as figuring out when to wash. I had such scalp problems from washing it everyday and/or cones that I had to stretch out my washings just to keep from hurting myself scratching my head. I've been here almost a month now and when I first got here I saw my hair as a ragged mess that would need a serious cut and lots of rehab. A few posters on here gave me great advice and I figured out I didn't need to cut! (Thank you Nightshade) and after a few SMTs my hair is so much better and makes me feel better. I really owe my length to benign neglect though. If I hadn't ignored it for so long I might not have the length I have now.

danacc
March 31st, 2009, 08:31 PM
1.best shampoo?

So far, something with zinc pyrithione or selenium sulfide to help manage seborrheic dermatitis. This means it will also have SLS or ALS.

I always oil the length, shampoo just the scalp, and use conditioner only to wash the length.

No conventional trims, but I S&D. I have fairytale ends whether I trim or not, and I get satisfaction from snipping out the damage, so S&D works well for me.

Coconut oil! I use olive oil in the winter because I'm too lazy to deal with coconut oil which becomes solid, and I use a LOT, but coconut oil is still my favorite oil.

Ash
March 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM
I have to mention that I use chemical colors but yesterday was the last time for that hopefully. I should be able to afford henna soon.

1.best shampoo?
Giovanni 50:50 Balanced

M/W/F - Morning CWC, leave-in, coconut oil. Evening- braid dry for sleep
T/Th - Morning CO, leave in, coconut oil. Evening - heavily oil damp hair with walnut or avocado oil, braid for sleep.
Sat - Morning CO evening braid dry
Sun - Experiment day or CO. Evening - heavily oil damp hair with walnut oil, braid.

I trim less than 1/4 inch off the base of a ponytail every couple of months and try to do a weekly S&D.

This is a hard one. Food grade avocado oil has helped thicken my hair but coconut oil helps it shine more and Giovanni 50:50 conditioner has made it healthier, and.... (gives up.)

marialena
April 1st, 2009, 10:06 AM
1.best shampoo?
No shampoo.. Just soap

Washing every three to four days, dyeing every 20 days with indian henna. Once a week I use some coconut milk or olive oil for mask

I trim them rarely, especially after summer holidays but just one or two cm.

Olive oil soap!

redeyedtreefr0g
April 1st, 2009, 11:26 AM
My hair is waist length again after having it cut short. It was long when I met my husband in 2002, and cut maybe middle 2003

I graduated in May after battling my little sister and her head lice for 4 or 5 months and avoiding the health people to sneak on campus to attend classes and not fail them. After she got them again it was cut- $20 every month for RidX is not cool, nor is 4 hours in a chair with a nit comb only to have the paranoid health people see dandruff and keep me out of school still. I kept it long for graduation and then chopped.

Of course I regretted it. It went to shoulder length first, and then after I decided I wanted long hair, I cut it to an inch or so to be able to say its been there once in my life. It was nice to finally be able to see what I looked like with super short hair, but I hated having to maintain it, get it cut all the time. It grew back to the same hateful length- not able to be pulled back and constantly in my face. I dyed it, with Herbal Essences probably, ot Garnier, to an orangey pretty copper color (from dark brown) which got me through that stage, and then it was dyed back dark.

So from 2003/04 to now, only one trim last year for my birthday. I had felt that my hair tangling was the cause of split ends and so it was trimmed. I was right, to some degree.

As for shampoo and conditoner, I use it. A hairdresser said moisture would help my hair, so I had used Pantene, generic Pantene, I used the Garnier Fructis Long and Strong before that, but I would have to switch to something else after a while, it stopped working and made my hair feel heavy and coated.

I would usually wear my hair in ponytails, a single braid, or a simple twisted bun. I think its called a cinnamon bun here, secured into a pontyail, then twisted around with another scrunchy to hold it.

That's it, I kind of just let it grow. Now it is an interesting transition from the natural borwn getting lighter and lighter to turn somewhat dark golden from the sun at the tips. I've decided it is natural sun lightening and not the dye from earlier, the transition is so gradual. Least I think it is. I like it.

I'm trying Water Only now, but not sure if I'm succeeding.

Coriander
April 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM
1.best shampoo? Right now because of the Santa Ana we're having here (hot dry winds), I'm using Clairol's Long Term Relationship poo/dish once or maybe twice a week.

2.special hair care routine? Shampoo once or twice a week using the CWC method. Clarify every couple of weeks with Neutrogena Anti-residue. Deep treatment once a week or every other week using Aussie Deeeeep. Comb in conditioner in the shower, and then gently comb with a wooden comb when I get out (combing is after application of coconut oil to the bottom 6 inches of hair.) Throw it up in a bun or turbie-towel and ignore. :)

3.to trim or not to trim? Search and destroy. That's it. Haven't had a cut in over a year.

4.a single best hair product you've ever used... I love Aussie deeeep conditioners and coconut oil :)

Tabitha
April 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
I did reach past waist before I cut back, so I feel "entitled" to post here (see my photo album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2447) for proof!:p)

1. best shampoo?
Herbal Essences for Greasy Roots/Dry ends: cheap 'n' cheerful, smells nice, does the job without stripping.

2. special hair care routine?
Benign neglect/updos in wet and windy weather/airdrying almost exclusively.

3. to trim or not to trim?
6-monthly salon trims to keep ends healthy and the shape of the hemline nice and even.

4. a single best hair product you've ever used
Philip Kingsley Elasticizer deep treatment. No smell, utilitarian packaging but does what it says on the tin.

Ursula
April 1st, 2009, 01:25 PM
There's no "secret" really. As long as you "don't cut" more than you "cut" your hair will get longer, and eventually it will wind up around waist length.

My hair has been long, varying between the middle of my back (between BSL and waist) and hip length, since I decided to stop letting my mother cut it, when I was 9. (She kept it very short, bobbed.) Before I knew how to self trim, I'd not-cut for several years, then get it trimmed "cut straight across here" pointing to a spot on my back. Now, I self trim, and trim more frequently, but smaller amounts.

1. Best shampoo - I can't think of one, I always used what was cheap, or what was lying around, when I used shampoo. Now I mostly CO, using cheap conditioner, and when I do shampoo, it is cheap or whatever is lying around wherever I am when I happen to shampoo.

2. Special hair care routine - not really. While growing it out, and until I found LHC, it was just shampoo with what was cheap, sometimes condition with whatever was cheap. Post LHC, I tend to shampoo less and condition more, still keeping it cheap. I always wore it up a lot, once it was long enough to put it up, for the sake of convenience.

3. Trim or not trim - I'm agnostic on that issue. When I was still paying for cuts/trims, they were quite rare, now I tend to self-trim as the mood strikes, but I'm not really aiming for more length. When I first grew out my hair, it was by going on strike on the haircuts my mother did - so I just didn't get it cut for several years.

4. Single best product - I can't think of one. I tend to use what is cheap, for conditioner and shampoo. I've occasionally splurged a bit for a leave-in (Curls Souffle, Oyin Whipped Pudding) and they're nice, but mixed coconut oil and shea butter are fine too, and cheaper and easier to buy.

Really though, growing hair is a boring process. Even slower so than the proverbial "watching the grass grow." Keep yourself busy with lots of other interesting things, and eventually, you'll find that you have long hair. Take a class, learn a craft, volunteer, etc. Because long hair happens while you're busy with other things.

joyful373
April 1st, 2009, 02:08 PM
Yay! I qualify for this category :)

1. Best Shampoo- After trying many different ones since I've been here at LHC, my absolute favorite is Beauty Without Cruelty Daily Benefits. I use the Conditioner too.

2.Special Haircare Routine- I stretched my washing for 2-3 days. I never thought that would be possible! :) Detangle with a bone comb when damp, not wet. Keep hair up on most days, and wear down for special times only. I braid my hair at night- and also oil with coconut oil on the ends and also as a "pre-wash" oiling on really dirty days.

3. Trim or No Trim- Hmmmm... mostly Search and Destroy only, although if my hair is really tangling and splits keep returning I will trim damage. No more than once or twice in one year, and most definitely micro trims if I can get away with it.

4.Single Best Product- Coconut oil, and Henna Shine conditioner by Nature's Gate (I use it to really seal my ends when I truly wash all my hair)

Thanks for letting me share! :)

Amoretti
April 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Thigh length here:

1.best shampoo? Dove in the blue bottle (conditioner too)

2.special hair care routine? Wash scalp only, condition from ears down. Full wash once a week with a scalp wash in between and half scalp washes as needed. Jojoba oil on the ends on wet hair.

3.to trim or not to trim? Micro trims only for maximum length.

4.a single best hair product you've ever used... The "evil" cone laden Dove in the blue bottle. ;)

ETA: I always wear it up.

neon-dream
April 1st, 2009, 02:15 PM
I don't think I have any secrets, but just avoid the blowdryer, flatiron, and hairspray....and be patient.

I agree with this, although I have always had quite long hair. But, since I ditched the above items it's grown so much faster!!

Rosepatrice
April 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
No heat. No brushing. Combing only when dry, then finger comb only. Drink lots of water. Take in lots of Biotin-rich foods, along with the B-vitamin rich foods, Lots of dark green salads, Limit junk foods, Stay outta the sun. Drink coffee.!! Use only non chemical, organic products on the hair....... love and be loved.

Kristen_Marie
April 1st, 2009, 05:39 PM
1.Best shampoo?
I’ve seen a couple answers to this one along the lines of “everyone’s hair is different” and that is certainly true. For myself (I have thick/smooth hair that tends towards oily if left to its own devices or with too much conditioner) I have tried several shampoos and conditioners that ended up working quite nicely.

1.) Aloe 80 Daily Shampoo and Conditioner (Organic and 80% aloe vera!)
2.) Yes to Carrots Pampering Carrot Juice Shampoo and Carrot Juice/Mud Conditioner
3.) Avalon Organics Tea Tree Mint Treatment Shampoo and Conditioner (works wonders for dry/itchy scalp! Nice tingly sensation)
4.) Jason 84% Pure Aloe Vera Shampoo and Conditioner
5.) Not so specific – I’ve used Aussie, Garnier Fructus, Pantene Pro-V and Giovanni and haven’t hated what it did to my hair, but wasn’t completely happy with it either.

Shampoos like Pert, Head and Shoulders, Suave, White Rain, Herbal Essences, Tresemme and so on, haven’t worked for me. That’s just me though. For others, they might work just fine and dandy!

2. Special hair care routine?
My routine is simple – I avoid things like flat-irons, dryers, and combing my hair when it is wet. I have never and will never use any sort of dye on my hair. (Yes, those are my natural colors and highlights!) I shower at night so my hair is dry by morning, but comb it before my shower with a boar-bristle brush until any and all tangles have been removed. I comb in jojoba or emu oil with my fingers and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before showering and washing it out. I follow with a light conditioning afterwards and let that sit for 2-5 minutes before rinsing. After my shower, I usually leave my hair up in the towel for 20-30 minutes to soak out excess water and then leave it down for the rest of the night. I don’t mess with it again until morning. Because of my hair type I have to do this every night or face imbalances in oil/dryness which is super annoying.

3. To trim or not to trim?
Definitely to trim – but not too much. I usually trim my own hair at least once a month. Just a few snips here and there where I see dead ends and splits. I don’t usually get it professionally done more than once or twice a year.

4. A single best hair product you've ever used:
I couldn’t choose just one! I do, however, like the henna and placenta leave in treatment. I also like Super Skinny Serum by Paul Mitchell and…hmmm….yeah. I can’t think of any others!

I hope this has given you guys some ideas. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away!

susiemw
April 1st, 2009, 10:25 PM
My hair is a little longer than waist length.

my best hair care secret: don't cut it :) and no heat.

I'm in favor of benign neglect.

1.best shampoo? I use a selenium sulfide shampoo otherwise my scalp gets yucky. I use cheap conditioners: suave or vo5.

none really. I gave up coloring last september so I'm sure less chemicals will be a good thing.
I rinse with cool water and sometimes use diluted vinegar

I don't normally dry my hair or use any other heating implements. This year I was in anchorage alaska for winter which means it was -20 and I started partially drying it again and that's probably the first time I've regularly dried my hair in
30 years. I'm sort of liking it! so i'm drying (partially) more often now.

I did perm my hair for 20 years and never using heat or other chemicals made it ok for me to do that. My hair tolerated it
pretty well.

I also haven't brushed my hair in 30 years. i use a wide toothed pick to detangle in the shower and then I leave it be unless i need to detangle for putting my hair up. I did buy a BBB recently but haven't gotten into the habit of using it. It's collecting dust.

no regular trims, My hair and I avoid scissors!

I"m not in love with any product yet but I have started experimenting with oils but I haven't decided what I like yet.

hennaphile
April 2nd, 2009, 02:35 AM
1.best shampoo?

Morrocco Method. hands down. You can FEEL and SEEEEE it work. no joking! second favorite: Mehandi shampoo bar, nettles and peppermint. there used to be a local lady who made amber rose shampoo, it was divine. But now i can't find it :(

Boar bristle brush twice a day, turning the head over and brushing from the nape on down. Scalp massages. Wash at least every other day, condition, sometimes oiling before hand. Now I'm starting to use indian herbs and catnip! I use the morrocco method leave in conditioner and volumizing spray, sometimes a spot of aloe for gel. braid at night

Yes. My OCD makes me batty when it's looking ratty. oh geez that rhymed! On my hair it looks much nicer.

One? impossible! hehe. if you like cones, giovanni power magnetic treatment, not the conditioner but the treatment. Otherwise the MM shampoos. but but but:

HENNA!!! That stuff looks like a super expensive salon treatment. It's amazing

blondecat
April 3rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
I just thought we(I mean "we" who would like to grow healthy long long long hair)could really learn a lot from you.
What's your secret?

1.best shampoo?

Please share with us your experiences,so that any time we are back to this thread could read a lot of your "secrets";)

Ummm, I can't answer those questions, I use any ol sham/cond/product
Honey is the best conditioner I can recomend.
Patience.
Protective styles.
Washing only once a fortnight.
Combing [not brushing]
EO oils are great [rosemary, peppermint, lavender, tea tree] smell great too.

Feighning Deafness whenever told to 'cut it'

dukkelisa
April 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM
1.best shampoo? Pantene
2.special hair care routine? None in particular. I wash when it's dirty and just use shampoo on the roots and conditioner on the rest. I finger comb and use a boar brush for smoothing. I keep my hair up 99% of the time.
3.to trim or not to trim? No trimming
4.a single best hair product you've ever used...I've tried different shampoos/conditioners and the one that keeps my hair just right is Pantene. I am not a product raver, I use what I have on hand, but soon go back to Pantene after I notice my hair getting less manageable. I try to just leave my hair alone for the most part.