PDA

View Full Version : hair styles @ yearning for zion ranch on oprah

susiemw
March 30th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Did anyone see Oprah today?

there was a short clip of one of the women who had beautiful
long (never saw the total length so I'm not sure how long but it was LONGGGG) hair doing her hair.

She had the front part poofed up, then it looked like a rope braid on each side which she did something with (twisting them both together at the crown? twisting together than topsy turving?) then ended in a rope braid.

there were some nice braids on those women and children. I wish they'd do some youtube videos :) which since they didn't even know who oprah was, seems highly unlikely.

Susan

PrliamntofRooks
March 30th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Just an FYI, but Zion Ranch is one of the FLDS compounds that was raided for polygamy and child brides....

While their hair might be nice and long, I don't think most people would want to go live there. It is also very conceivable they don't know who Oprah is...they probably don't own TVs...that is how conservative the sect is.

misstwist
March 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Don't underestimate the web savvy of these ladies.

http://www.fldscrafts.com/

susiemw
March 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Just an FYI, but Zion Ranch is one of the FLDS compounds that was raided for polygamy and child brides....

While their hair might be nice and long, I don't think most people would want to go live there. It is also very conceivable they don't know who Oprah is...they probably don't own TVs...that is how conservative the sect is.

thanks, that was all evident on the show.
oprah went to interview them at their ranch.
it's not a way I'd want to live but will say they are
talented at braiding hair.

ratgirldjh
March 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM
wow - did you check out their learn to braid hair stuff? they also sell what they call 'braid endies' which are sort of like scrunchies.

very interesting!

AnneAdeline
March 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Anyone know where I could find the clip from Oprah? I'm kinda obsessed with cults/FLDS (read an awesome book on them).
Edit: Found it! http://www.oprah.com/dated/oprahshow/oprahshow-20090325-polygamist-ranch
There's a "Hair How-To". I'm gonna go watch them...

wow - did you check out their learn to braid hair stuff? they also sell what they call 'braid endies' which are sort of like scrunchies.

very interesting!
I totally went straight there, too.

Alia
March 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Oprah went there? Don't they consider her in league with the satan because of her dark skin?:rolleyes:

RavennaNight
March 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Anyone ever watch "Big Love?" Chloe Sevigny's character got called "the Braid" by the surrounding neighbors. For those of you who don't know, it's an HBO series about an FLDS family trying to blend in, in the suburbs of Utah outside of the ranch.

Presto
March 30th, 2009, 10:24 PM
The Big Love family is not FLDS, they do not follow any prophet as of season 2. They are two former mainstream Mormons, one FLDS(she's from a compound, not necessarily the same as Yearning for Zion), and one non Mormon who is baptized into their own little version of Mormonism during season 2.

I do love their hair on Big Love. Margene has been growing hers out during season 2, which is all the episodes I've seen so far.
I love Barb's curls, and wish she'd grow it longer.
Nikki's hair always looks like mine on a bad hair day, I think she needs some oils or leave in conditioner.
Can't wait for season 3 to come out on DVD!

Morningglory
March 30th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Their hair style video looks pretty cool!

Chrissy
March 31st, 2009, 05:39 AM
Not related to hair but I watched Oprah yesterday when she visited there. It was interesting but sad. The children don't play AT ALL!! They just work. Oprah even asked that question. They all seemed a kind of "fake" happy, but who am I to judge. I just feel sorry for the kids. :(

ilovelonghair
March 31st, 2009, 06:05 AM
Those sects are pretty scary. There was a show on dr Phil once where they tried to trace kidnapped children (where the father had taken the kids away to a sect), when they finally found them they were completely brainwashed.

IndigoInk
March 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM
I do admire the hairstyles but wow how creepy was that! They all seemed so defensive and scared. Also I thought one of the three wives was a bit snippy and bitter sounding.

She said it took her about 25 minutes to do her hair, and they did their daughters' hair I'm sure at least until a certain age. Can you imagine how much time was spent just on hair every morning. It seemed to be one their only forms of self expression. They all dressed a like and wore no makeup and did the same work, but they could have different hairstyles.

JamieLeigh
March 31st, 2009, 08:13 AM
Just to stay on track with the topic (you're welcome, OP ;)), yes they do have some amazing long hair, and I'd be all thumbs when it comes to doing some of those hair styles. Some days I'm lucky just to get a Figure-8 to look right. :p

Cindi Eponabri
March 31st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Anyone know where I could find the clip from Oprah? I'm kinda obsessed with cults/FLDS (read an awesome book on them).
Edit: Found it! http://www.oprah.com/dated/oprahshow/oprahshow-20090325-polygamist-ranch

I totally went straight there, too.
I know what you mean. I am fascinated by their lifestyle as well, although I couldn't tell you why that is. I feel to each their own, and I'm glad to see they are finding ways to support themselves.

darkwaves
March 31st, 2009, 09:16 PM
She had the front part poofed up, then it looked like a rope braid on each side which she did something with (twisting them both together at the crown? twisting together than topsy turving?) then ended in a rope braid.
If that's the one in the video on the site linked above, she really moves quickly in the final twist/flip/fasten!

On the other site linked, I see they have hair styling DVDs for sale -- just added to their catalogue two weeks ago, with the more complex styles coming soon... Could inviting Oprah have been a marketing ploy for their crafts? No, surely not!

susiemw
March 31st, 2009, 10:04 PM

thanks for posting the link... I hadn't gone to the oprah web site. I sure wish they would have given us more than one minutes and 27 seconds! :)

I may need to try a variation on that hair style... no ratting!!!
no high poof! but if i can figure out exactly what she does with those two rope braids maybe I can come up with a variation.

susan

DragonLady
March 31st, 2009, 10:20 PM
The Big Love family is not FLDS, they do not follow any prophet as of season 2. They are two former mainstream Mormons, one FLDS(she's from a compound, not necessarily the same as Yearning for Zion), and one non Mormon who is baptized into their own little version of Mormonism during season 2.

I've only watched the first season, but I concur. FLDS is a whole 'nother world, and I'm sure that they (FLDS) would not want most of their lifestyle to be dramatised much.

So far as happy, I lived in Salt Lake City for a while, and most of the mainstream Mormons seem very happy. Can't say about the FLDS as a sub-group, but regular Mormonism doesn't seem too negative or cultish to me. I'm not interested my own self, but it seems like a mostly positive religion with it's own sorts of benefits for those who follow it.

Whatever their beliefs, I did see some beautiful hair in SLC. It seems the majority of the women are housewives, and have plenty of time to spend on their hair and to experiement with some awesome hairstyles. And they seem to have the "good" hair genes -most had long, lovely, thick locks that would be the envy of any long hair anywhere.

MadHatter
April 1st, 2009, 11:07 AM
JamieLeigh, I just saw your sig. It cracked me up!
/derailment

Bene
April 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM
3 things

1) wow, impressive lengths on those ladies

2) i'm not digging the teasing for that height. that just seems like too much effort, and can't be good for the hair

3) yes, i may be totally prejudiced and bigoted about these things, and as much as i hate to admit it, i have to say it for the sake of the ppl i may offend without meaning to, but certain hairstyles totally give me like the heebie jeebies because of their religious group connotations. and i know a little bit about FDLS, but i've been reading up on the renegade, kiddie marrying, forced polygamy groups (which i know are not representative of all ppl who are FDLS) and it totally makes angry, so like certain hairstyles (even though those ppl may or may not be a part of it) just sets off the bells in my head that screams "that's UGLY!!!"

(also, i only watched the video with the volume down because i'm listening to dan savage's sex advice podcast, who is totally queer and totally fabulous, and i didn't want to turn him down to listen to ppl who may or may not be engaging in some renegade, kiddy marrying, forced polygamy shenanigans. so i don't even know what those particular ppl in the video are about, which even highlights my own prejudice and bigotry concerning hair and religion, so a million apologies to anyone and everyone and anything and everything who may be reading my stuff going "omg bene, you're a total *******")

Euphony
April 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
3 things

3) yes, i may be totally prejudiced and bigoted about these things, and as much as i hate to admit it, i have to say it for the sake of the ppl i may offend without meaning to, but certain hairstyles totally give me like the heebie jeebies because of their religious group connotations. and i know a little bit about FDLS, but i've been reading up on the renegade, kiddie marrying, forced polygamy groups (which i know are not representative of all ppl who are FDLS) and it totally makes angry, so like certain hairstyles (even though those ppl may or may not be a part of it) just sets off the bells in my head that screams "that's UGLY!!!"

I'm there with you in the 'that's ugly' part. I just don't like hair styles like that, never have. It's a symbolism to me I'm sure - that's the only thing I can figure. I think those types of hair styles are horribly unflattering <sigh> and I love braids, simple braids, and I love long hair.

I even get concerned that people will think that I'm connected with some sort of religion that dictates women should wear long dresses and long hair. I wear long skirts and dresses because I'm comfy that way, I have long hair sometimes it's up sometimes it's down. But I always am wearing something slightly funky (or off) somewhere on my person that screams, I dress this way cuz I'm comfy, I have long hair because I like it - not because my god tells me I have to.

Bene
April 1st, 2009, 11:50 AM
I'm there with you in the 'that's ugly' part. I just don't like hair styles like that, never have. It's a symbolism to me I'm sure - that's the only thing I can figure. I think those types of hair styles are horribly unflattering <sigh> and I love braids, simple braids, and I love long hair.

I even get concerned that people will think that I'm connected with some sort of religion that dictates women should wear long dresses and long hair. I wear long skirts and dresses because I'm comfy that way, I have long hair sometimes it's up sometimes it's down. But I always am wearing something slightly funky (or off) somewhere on my person that screams, I dress this way cuz I'm comfy, I have long hair because I like it - not because my god tells me I have to.

oddly enough, and i know this is going to sound really really bad, and completely unbelievable, but like i can tell when someone has long hair and wears long skirts out of comfort and personal preference, rather than doing it because of religious, um, rules?

like you for example, you've got this groovy green stick in that pretty reddish hair in your sig (fabulous envy inducing bun, by the way), and the crack about bun eating hair, and i can totally get the "cool person" vibes off of that.

wearing the funky items are a really good way to give off the "hey, i'm cool and not going to tell you that you're going to burn in hell" vibes. but i think there's also like a mannerism and body language thing involved. kind of like how i can tell someone is from a foreign (even though totally westernized/developed country). it's all in body language and how they hold their faces. i do look at that first and foremost before the bells go off in my head that say "omg, that person is going to tell me i'm going to hell and therefore they are totally, hideously, disgustingly ugly"

nowxisxforever
April 1st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Generally if you think someone is going to tell you off for some silly thing, they will.

I don't get insulted very often, but I also don't assume (because of appearances especially) that someone will. I give them far more credit than that.

Kimberly
April 1st, 2009, 07:51 PM
There are plenty of cool women who wear long hair and dresses for spiritual reasons and some of them are LHC members. This thread makes me cringe.

Anouk
April 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM
I was going to ask if they said anything on the Oprah thing about what particular products they use. I see on the link along with their crafts they sell shampoo and conditioner. The ingredients look very similar to a lot of stuff out there.

Anouk
April 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Not that I expected them to do anything TOO specific; I was just wondering if they made something special or just used regular store bought stuff.

Mebo
April 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
Response deleted. Sorry for getting off topic. Strong opinion - could have been expressed better and in a different forum.

Cinnamon Hair
April 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM
I think it's rude how off-topic people have went with this thread.

I saw the Oprah episde and all the very long hair. It's beautiful, no doubt, their religion should not take away from that. I'm in love with the draped braids in particular.

If you are looking for better instructions Dreamweaver Braiding (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/Braiding_Tips.htm) is the place to go.

SimplyLonghair
April 1st, 2009, 11:58 PM

I saw the Oprah episde and all the very long hair. It's beautiful, no doubt, their religion should not take away from that. I'm in love with the draped braids in particular.

If you are looking for better instructions Dreamweaver Braiding (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/Braiding_Tips.htm) is the place to go.Thanks Cinnamon Hair I wanted some instructions and even considered buying a DVD from them, but didn't really want to spend 20 on a 17 min dvd. :shrug: I want to learn the styles as I think that they are lovely. I think that they would work for the civil war reinactments around here.

ilovelonghair
April 2nd, 2009, 12:14 AM

I just had a look at the video clip and I cringe because of those pooffy front bits, but I think it's possible to alter the style so it has a normal front, and I'm sure it won't look regilous anymore (especially if you'd add flowers to it :D)
Btw what is it with those ugly baggy dresses of theirs? Sure they could make them nicer, if they think they are dressing acording the fashion of older times, people did wear much nicer things back then. But I know nearly nothing about such religious groups as we don't have them here (not that I know of)

There is this girl who posted a lot of updo how to's on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8SgFFwi_g

I have a feeling it is also something religious but some of the styles are nice (if you'd take the pooffy bit away)
Oh, and since I'm a bit dyslectic, when I first stumbled upon these links I thought there were called 'Apocalypse Hairstyles' LOL.

Gumball
April 2nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks Cinnamon Hair I wanted some instructions and even considered buying a DVD from them, but didn't really want to spend 20 on a 17 min dvd. :shrug: I want to learn the styles as I think that they are lovely. I think that they would work for the civil war reinactments around here.

I think you may be referring to Braided Image (http://braidedimage.com). Dreamweaver (http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/) for the most part just has a lot of instructions on the site to browse through. :)

Heavenly Locks
April 2nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
Btw what is it with those ugly baggy dresses of theirs? Sure they could make them nicer, if they think they are dressing acording the fashion of older times, people did wear much nicer things back then. But I know nearly nothing about such religious groups as we don't have them here (not that I know of)

Since you asked :)

I don't personally think the dresses are 'ugly'...but they are baggy. A lot of the reason behind the way they dress is because of modesty. Styles that are 'flattering' according to most people are usually form fitting in some fashion. Another thing they strive for is simplicity...more flattering can also mean a lot of adornment...and that's not something they are comfortable with.

From a this site - http://www.achristianhome.org/ModestFeminine/ModestyFeminineAttireIndex.htm

What is Modesty and why is it so important for the Christian woman to understand, dress & behave modestly? Modesty is the voluntary personal responsibility to behave & dress in such a manner as to not purposely draw attention to oneself, to not think proudly of oneself and it's a decision to protect from purposeful or "unintended" enticement in inappropriate ways & places. This is crucial for a Christian woman; first and foremost because we're representatives of the LORD Jesus Christ and secondly, if we're married, we're a reflection of our husban

Hope this helps you understand a little better why they dress that way. :)

SimplyLonghair
April 2nd, 2009, 12:48 AM
I think you may be referring to Braided Image (http://braidedimage.com). Dreamweaver (http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/) for the most part just has a lot of instructions on the site to browse through. :)
Thanks Gumball, now I have to decide which one to get :silly:

Roseate
April 2nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
I don't personally think the dresses are 'ugly'...but they are baggy. A lot of the reason behind the way they dress is because of modesty. Styles that are 'flattering' according to most people are usually form fitting in some fashion.

The thing that is odd to me about their dress is that instead of simply skimming over the body, like the very flattering and very modest clothing worn by some Muslim women, it actually is shaped somewhat like the body, only bigger. Broad shoulder pads, then nipped in at the waist, all standing away from the body in what seems like an awkward way to me.

I'll take a jilbab over a prairie dress any day!

Impressive braids, that's for sure. The poof... falls into the same questionable style category as the puffed sleeves, IMO.

ilovelonghair
April 2nd, 2009, 01:16 AM
If I had to wear a prairy dress, I'd put a hejab over it, because I wouldn't want anyone to see me in such a dress :cheese:

Did anyone notice that those dresses only come in plain colors and only certain colors? Do those colors have a special meaning? Funny is though that the women wear those old fashioned dresses, but the men wear jeans and modern suits!

I understand the modesty thing, but that can be done with many different dressing styles.

This is getting really off topic: what happens to the men in that zion ranch when the women run out due to polygamy? Surely there must be heaps of men that won't have a wife due to other guys having a whole bunch of wifes.

RavennaNight
April 2nd, 2009, 06:23 AM
As far as the hairstyles of the FLDS women, it's just not for me. I am sure some can rock those hairdos, but I like stuff with less poof in the front. And simple braids and sock buns.

CaraLynn
April 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
There are plenty of cool women who wear long hair and dresses for spiritual reasons and some of them are LHC members. This thread makes me cringe.

My thoughts exactly. It's about the hair, folks, the hair...

Elbereth
April 2nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
Um...they seem to dress much like I do...

I can only speak for myself (as a non-Christian plainly dressing person) that a dress you are going to wear all day, every day, even when you do heavy physical work, must be loose and have a full skirt to allow enough room for movement. In a modern dress I could not survive my daily life. In a plain dress, I can lift, run, crawl...do whatever needs to be done, and do it more comfortably than I ever did in jeans.

I, too, prefer solid colors simply because I find patterned dresses too loud for my taste. A long dress is a lot of fabric and if that fabric is patterned, to me it looks too loud (or too prairie...yes, there is such a thing even for me...) to feel comfortable.

As far as the "flattering" part goes. To most people, "flattering" means comformity to one's cultural standards. In Western culture, the standard is to display one's sexual attractiveness and wealth. I don't much like that idea and have some ideas of my own I want to display via dressing simply. Probably, those women think somewhat similarly (though I believe that in this case, not every FLDS lady has had an opportunity to choose her style of dress freely...in which case being negative about what they wear shows rather poor judgment).

In short: Some people have long hair because they personally prefer it, some have it because it has religious significance to them. Plain dress is no different.

Xandergrammy
April 2nd, 2009, 08:41 AM

Me too. I'm actually holding my breath whilst reading it.

And as for the hair, I love the braids, but am not a fan of the poofy stuff. :twocents:

Xandergrammy
April 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Um...they seem to dress much like I do...

I can only speak for myself (as a non-Christian plainly dressing person) that a dress you are going to wear all day, every day, even when you do heavy physical work, must be loose and have a full skirt to allow enough room for movement. In a modern dress I could not survive my daily life. In a plain dress, I can lift, run, crawl...do whatever needs to be done, and do it more comfortably than I ever did in jeans.

I, too, prefer solid colors simply because I find patterned dresses too loud for my taste. A long dress is a lot of fabric and if that fabric is patterned, to me it looks too loud (or too prairie...yes, there is such a thing even for me...) to feel comfortable.

As far as the "flattering" part goes. To most people, "flattering" means comformity to one's cultural standards. In Western culture, the standard is to display one's sexual attractiveness and wealth. I don't much like that idea and have some ideas of my own I want to display via dressing simply. Probably, those women think somewhat similarly (though I believe that in this case, not every FLDS lady has had an opportunity to choose her style of dress freely...in which case being negative about what they wear shows rather poor judgment).

In short: Some people have long hair because they personally prefer it, some have it because it has religious significance to them. Plain dress is no different.

Well said! :applause

Aisha25
April 2nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Yeah I dont like the poofy in front, its too big and that back teasing made me cringe *shudder*

kirky
April 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Wow, what an interesting post!

Thank you to everyone to find the links!

All I'm going to say is that I found the videos interesting, and I think the hairstyles are amazing. The effort they put into creating such beautiful styles definetly pays off.

enfys
April 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
I won't diss these people because I know very little about their way of life. I know certian companies we deal with in work are fully staffed by people from certain religious cults, but I'm too scared to question them about their beliefs!

I think some of the hairstyles are pretty extreme for everyday wear in my locality, but some of the ones on gossgirl2 on youtube would be lovely wedding hairstyles! Who needs stylists?

Atlantic
April 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Here's what I've been wondering: Last year, when the story about YFZ Ranch broke, I noticed a piece (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/apr/10/fashion.women) on The Guardian website which quoted a fashion designer as saying, "Doing this without products is impressive. If they don't have access to mousse or hairspray they might be using sugar water to set the hair."

My first reaction to that was, "What, he think they're Amish?" and my second was "And he thinks that the Amish, or plain-dressing people in general, are actually about swearing off all technology after some given date?" But I suppose it's an easy mistake if you don't know anything about it.

But I'm still curious: are they using products?

SHELIAANN1969
April 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Don't even get me started on this. "My name is Rachel, and I'm 21 years old." These people are liars and thieves, and criminals.

I think that's a terrible generalization.

I am sure that every single one of their group cannot be liars, thieves and criminals.

Just because someone has a different way of life, and/or may have been led into something by someone unscrupulous, does not fit them into one category of being liars, thieves and criminals.

enfys
April 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Here's what I've been wondering: Last year, when the story about YFZ Ranch broke, I noticed a piece (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/apr/10/fashion.women) on The Guardian website which quoted a fashion designer as saying, "Doing this without products is impressive. If they don't have access to mousse or hairspray they might be using sugar water to set the hair."

My first reaction to that was, "What, he think they're Amish?" and my second was "And he thinks that the Amish, or plain-dressing people in general, are actually about swearing off all technology after some given date?" But I suppose it's an easy mistake if you don't know anything about it.

In one of the videos in youtube, is saw a can of hairspray whipped out at one point, but mainly it was without product.

At first I was really impressed then I realised a lot of us here, including me, do the same!

SimplyLonghair
April 2nd, 2009, 11:49 AM
I think that's a terrible generalization.

I am sure that every single one of their group cannot be liars, thieves and criminals.

Just because someone has a different way of life, and/or may have been led into something by someone unscrupulous, does not fit them into one category of being liars, thieves and criminals.
Sheliaann, Mebo is a CPS worker and most likely had to deal with all of the lies that they were told. I don't know anyone that worked CPS here in Texas that wasn't impacted by the raid on the compound. So I think that she was speaking from having "dealt" with the whole mess that it became. Just my :twocents: :flower:

SHELIAANN1969
April 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Sheliaann, Mebo is a CPS worker and most likely had to deal with all of the lies that they were told. I don't know anyone that worked CPS here in Texas that wasn't impacted by the raid on the compound. So I think that she was speaking from having "dealt" with the whole mess that it became. Just my :twocents: :flower:

I understand. But in that case, the women were probobly told to lie and in fear of their lives if they didn't comply. That still doesn't mean the entire group are liars, criminals and thieves though.

I feel bad for anyone who got involved in any cult or group that may have brainwashed them, like Jim Jones, David Koresh, Heavens Gate etc. People are sometimes born into situations or get into bad situations and just don't know how to escape. It's sad to generalize the whole group though.

OhioLisa
April 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think we need to stay on topic with the hair. None of us has any right to pass judgment on these peoples' lives.

ANYHOO, I personally love the hair styles. Growing up as an apostolic pentecostal, we had many similar styles. I still wear my poof sometimes. :D

redeyedtreefr0g
April 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
I thought the hairstyles were generally very pretty and stylish, but I thought it odd that they all started with a poof in the front. I can understand having a little bit of lift so it wasn't flat, but they all had fairly big poofs. I loved the braiding.
It would be interesting to me to see the hairstyles after a day of working in that orchard or field as they were. Do they stay well? Does that poof end up splitting or changing the way it lays? Does hair end up coming out and falling down?
It seemed that some of the women did not have that Pantene commercial freshly washed look, so I also was wondering how they care for their hair.

SimplyLonghair
April 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
I fondly remember my mom with her long hair when I was a child, but I want to learn how to do the poof without the backcombing that they did. So I love the utube that shows her just pushing it up and pinning it in place. :D

SHELIAANN1969
April 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
I fondly remember my mom with her long hair when I was a child, but I want to learn how to do the poof without the backcombing that they did. So I love the utube that shows her just pushing it up and pinning it in place. :D

That's where a bumpit would come in handy dandy!

I wish I could do *any* hairdo other than my 10 second bun! :(

ElizaSea
April 2nd, 2009, 02:11 PM

According to Carolyn Jessop's book Escape, they use hairspray on the poof.

Pegasus Marsters
April 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
This is getting really off topic: what happens to the men in that zion ranch when the women run out due to polygamy? Surely there must be heaps of men that won't have a wife due to other guys having a whole bunch of wifes.

You should look into the Lost Boys. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_boys_(polygamy))

Gladtobemom
April 2nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
OMG, they even have hair styling DVDs.

I'm giving this one the ten-foot-pole treatment. Zip my lip.

Magdalene
April 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
The poof is good for historical periods- to get it I just push my hair up and pin it, spray it (yeah, I use spray on stage) and comb and repeat until it's poofy enough. I refuse to backcomb, but I think you can use rats to get the same effect.

Feels a bit odd with the sweats I'm usually wearing when I do my hair and makeup backstage, but looks good with a victorian gown.

marajade
April 2nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
The poof is good for historical periods- to get it I just push my hair up and pin it, spray it (yeah, I use spray on stage) and comb and repeat until it's poofy enough. I refuse to backcomb, but I think you can use rats to get the same effect.

Feels a bit odd with the sweats I'm usually wearing when I do my hair and makeup backstage, but looks good with a victorian gown.

I agree, rats should work fine for this and a little hairspray.

Gladtobemom
April 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well, that didn't work.

I worked with a tech that was from a polygamist town on the Utah border. He and his wife met when they were teens (him 19, her 17) and fell for each other, they asked their parents to make plans to marry--fully intending to stay in their small town, he had finished a machine shop apprenticeship and she would be his "first" wife. They actually thought they were doing everything right.

The problem was that she was "promised" to someone else by her father (to a 42 year old man) and was told that if she didn't marry him, she was sinning. Then the girl was locked in her room with a round robin of people to come and "pray" with her for nearly 3 months. In that time, she was never alone with any one person, always at least two of them--unendingly trying to persuade her, pray for her, etc.

Finally, she was allowed out to care for her mother when she had a child (this was supposed to show her what was really important). First chance she got, her mom gave her $500 and put her on a Greyhound bus for L.A. Where she went to a Catholic Mission that her mom found on the internet. The boy followed a few days later when the mom let him know where the girl was.

They have been "excommunicated" and other than a few letters from her mother . . . have lost all contact with their families. I only found out about it because I travelled with him and we had to go to an area that was near his home town (seismic emplacement), he was petrified someone would recognize him, and at the same time, he was looking for faces that he recognized. He was a basket case.

This stuff is just too open to abuse. Way too open to abuse. I'm sure those people thought they were "saving" her by locking her in a room and "praying" with her. But isn't that brainwashing?

It's just scary.

If everything were out in the open and above board . . . if everyone were really allowed to CHOOSE to be included or not . . . then why do we keep hearing all these awful stories? If the women truly were WOMEN when they chose the life--maybe.

It's all very scary.

OhioLisa
April 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Ummm, this thread is about hair, yeah?

Gladtobemom
April 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry,

I watched the Oprah clip online. The lady that did the demo with the dark hair had a BIG pouf!

Oh well, they did look like they had pretty healthy hair.

Flaxen
April 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Stepping in for just a moment to ask that everyone please refrain from discussing the FLDS religion and stick to discussing their hair styles. Thank you.:flower:

sapphire-o
April 2nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I didn't read all the replies. Just want to say if I have a few "sister wives", I'd never do my own braids. :D Why would I? It's much easier to braid other people's hair. I've done some pretty spectacular styles playing with DH's hair, of course he'd never wear it out. I wish I have sisters or daughters.

aries
April 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM

If you are looking for better instructions Dreamweaver Braiding (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/Braiding_Tips.htm) is the place to go.

I am in total agreement with what Cinnamon Hair said. I also love the draped braids and am wowed by all their beautiful long hair. I was wondering about the dvd's, shampoo and their hair tie offs. I am really interested in these things. The first dvd mentions haircare or scalp care or something like that and I think it would be interesting to see how they care for their hair and do their braids. The tie offs looks extremely hair friendly and are hand made which I love hand made stuff. Shampoo and conditioner seem really nice and I am wondering what the ingredients are since my computer won't open the ingredients up. Sensitive scalp to cones, protein, parabens and certain perfumes. I am flat out interested in learning more about their haircare in general and I see nothing wrong with it.

I can't believe where you who judge have taken this. Things like this thread have really upset me in the past and make me want to quit being a member. Yes freedom of speach but good heavens, who are we to judge. I feel like you are also judging my church and belief system as well because of the things that my church does, no not FLDS. This is just not right, hurtful and should be kept on topic.

SimplyLonghair
April 2nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
I think that I will try the idea of rats. I already want one for the gibson girl, so I will just make one for this as well.:D

aries
April 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hey Simplylonghair, we are hairtwins but for color and length. Wow, that's so cool. My hair thickness goes between ii and iii depending on my thyroid so I decided to just keep it at ii.

Ratting can be bad for hair if your aren't careful when doing it and then removing it. It can cause a lot of damage so be careful.

I look at their hair in the video when they do the ratting and wonder how in the world it looks so healthy even though they rat their hair everyday.

SimplyLonghair
April 2nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hey Simplylonghair, we are hairtwins but for color and length. Wow, that's so cool. My hair thickness goes between ii and iii depending on my thyroid so I decided to just keep it at ii.

Ratting can be bad for hair if your aren't careful when doing it and then removing it. It can cause a lot of damage so be careful.

I look at their hair in the video when they do the ratting and wonder how in the world it looks so healthy even though they rat their hair everyday.
They probably have thicker hair than we do, my mom did. Her's was more medium than fine. I don't ever do backcombing as it makes me have massive breakage. So hence the idea of the rat. At least I have been gathering hair for some time for this. :D

SimplyLonghair
April 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
I first started thinking about a rat when I saw the 1900 house on PBS and they were doing the ladies hair. They used hair that they had bought for rats, but I thought about using my own hair so I started gathering.
I go between thicknesses due to celiac issues. If I stay away from the wrong grains I am fine, but getting it undercontrol caused a major shed.:p But it is growing back now.:D

aries
April 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
They probably have thicker hair than we do, my mom did. Her's was more medium than fine. I don't ever do backcombing as it makes me have massive breakage. So hence the idea of the rat. At least I have been gathering hair for some time for this. :D

Rofl, I am tired and was absolutely thinking of back combing as ratting. Go ahead and laugh cause I am lol. I shouldn't be posting right now due to being sleepy heh. Anyway, I am interested to know how it comes out.

truepeacenik
April 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
I seem to recall a member here with youtube vids (or maybe only links to ) on Apostolic hair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8SgFFwi_g&feature=related
Seems similar in the creative outlet/ do something with long tresses sort of thing.
But Yikes on the ratting!

longhairedfairy
April 2nd, 2009, 11:42 PM
Once you gather enough hair for a rat, exactly how do you stick it together and get it the right shape before you use it? Sorry, I'm not sure how to word my question so that it makes more sense.

OhioLisa
April 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
Once you gather enough hair for a rat, exactly how do you stick it together and get it the right shape before you use it? Sorry, I'm not sure how to word my question so that it makes more sense.

You can use a hair net to put the hair in, then form it to whatever shape you might need.

longhairedfairy
April 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
You can use a hair net to put the hair in, then form it to whatever shape you might need.

Thanks, that makes sense. :flower: I suppose you could also use a piece of panty hose if you don't have a hair net. That type of fabric might show through a little, though. I don't know.

OhioLisa
April 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks, that makes sense. :flower: I suppose you could also use a piece of panty hose if you don't have a hair net. That type of fabric might show through a little, though. I don't know.

Not only would pantyhose show through, but would also make it more difficult to form because pantyhose wouldn't hold the shape you wanted.

SimplyLonghair
April 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
I keep my hair in a storage bag and it has compacted together like felt, LOL but I have been collecting for some time. I kind of like rub it together periodically to help the process. I used to make felt and got that idea from that. I like the idea of it being thicker so that it stays really together. It is in someways like teasing the hair together without it being on the head.

But I like Ohio Lisa's idea of the net too.:D

sapphire-o
April 3rd, 2009, 01:29 AM
I collected a bunch of shed hair and they formed a rather solid blob. It's far from the feeling of felt, though. I think it feels more like those scrubbing pads for cleaning tough grease. S.O.S.? :D At least it's not like steel wool. I have friends whose hair can probably be used like steel wool.

ilovelonghair
April 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I moved my post to another thread because it's off topic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=533930#post533930) :)

OhioLisa
April 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I wonder if there are couples that stay monogamous. If these 2 were allowed to marry, sure that guy wouldn't have wanted a whole row of wifes. Again, I don't think it's possible for all guys in these cults to marry more then one woman, because there wouldn't be enough women in the group. I did hear that some cults try to turn away some of their male children for that reason once they become adults.

Btw if this goes too off-topic, we can always have a second topic on the friendship board. I find this thread really interesting!

See post #61 of this thread. The topic here is hair. And there was already a topic on the friendship board when this first happened last year. The thread was closed.

ilovelonghair
April 5th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Oh that's where I read it I think. Thanks :)

OhioLisa
April 5th, 2009, 12:07 AM
The prior thread was closed by the mods, meaning the topic probably isn't open for discussion.

SimplyLonghair
April 5th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I collected a bunch of shed hair and they formed a rather solid blob. It's far from the feeling of felt, though. I think it feels more like those scrubbing pads for cleaning tough grease. S.O.S.? :D At least it's not like steel wool. I have friends whose hair can probably be used like steel wool.
Yeah the felt texture doesn't come until you really use friction and pressure, which I do periodically to the bag to get it to self weave together, if that makes sense. I understand about the brillo or SOS pads sometimes I think my hair looks that way but not usually.

I hope that the rats make my hair stay up right. So have any of you braiders managed to make a braid look like that edge braid that they are using. I think that I need a video. I think that this link (http://braidedimage.com/Braided_Image_Hair_Braiding/Home.html) for the braiding books and DVD are something that I need to look into. So have ya'll managed and if you have do you have any pics?:D

ilovelonghair
April 5th, 2009, 03:59 AM
The prior thread was closed by the mods, meaning the topic probably isn't open for discussion.

If it isn't up for discusion the mods can close the one I started. But I'd like to know why it was closed. I don't think we have people on this board from the yearning for zion ranch, I doubt they have internet access.

florenonite
April 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I didn't read all the replies. Just want to say if I have a few "sister wives", I'd never do my own braids. :D Why would I? It's much easier to braid other people's hair. I've done some pretty spectacular styles playing with DH's hair, of course he'd never wear it out. I wish I have sisters or daughters.

I'm the opposite: I'm better at doing my own hair than others', maybe because I'm more used to it. I do like playing with my wee sister's hair, though.

Pegasus Marsters
April 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
If it isn't up for discusion the mods can close the one I started. But I'd like to know why it was closed. I don't think we have people on this board from the yearning for zion ranch, I doubt they have internet access.

Actually from watching the videos (did you watch them?) it seems like they're pretty technologically advanced... I saw cell phones, ipods and computers. The idea of the internet isn't that bizarre.

The poof at the front of the hair styles was weird, but I'd love to know how they did some of those braids. Did anyone else find it interesting how they said that the trend of braids there changes? They have to have long hair, but they can style it any way they like it seems.

OhioLisa
April 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM

I think starting a thread just to talk about how strange or wrong we think people's religious practices are is never really a good idea. And just because we might not have people from the sect here does not give license to talk about how horrible we think their religion might be. :twocents:

Rosepatrice
April 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I think the womens hair was just beautiful. I saw one pic where her hair was down to her knees...it was thick and light blonde and shiny....I am wondering what type of hair products they can use, or what is available to them to have such pretty hair?? I could use some tips!

marajade
April 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I think the womens hair was just beautiful. I saw one pic where her hair was down to her knees...it was thick and light blonde and shiny....I am wondering what type of hair products they can use, or what is available to them to have such pretty hair?? I could use some tips!

Ditto, I would love to know how they keep their hair healthy in spite of the backcombing!

Forever_Sophie
April 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
3 things

Agreed! When Oprah asked about the hair and they're like, "It's the STYLE!" Whoa. One said to come back in 10 yrs and there's be another. Pixies?

I know ppl from a Church I attended (United Pentecostal), where women had long hair and skirts, but none wore these updos.

KajiKodomo
April 6th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm amazed at the talent (and time) that goes into those hairstyles. I really don't think I could do any of them myself, because I get frustrated easily, and if I have to spend more than 5-10 minutes on my hair, I would give up. :D

Stevy
April 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I ordered the braiding DVDs from the FLDS Crafts website, I'll report back when I get them. I sent a query to their site asking whether they shipped internationally, and they were really friendly and helpful.

Stevy
April 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
So have any of you braiders managed to make a braid look like that edge braid that they are using. I think that I need a video. I think that this link (http://braidedimage.com/Braided_Image_Hair_Braiding/Home.html) for the braiding books and DVD are something that I need to look into. So have ya'll managed and if you have do you have any pics?:D

There's instructions for a 'perimeter braid' in one or other of the Braided Image books, but I've never been able to master it - I think you must need telescopic arms, or maybe it's one of those styles that's easier to do on other people. I'd definitely recommend the Braided Image books and DVDs in general, though.

harpgal
April 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I think starting a thread just to talk about how strange or wrong we think people's religious practices are is never really a good idea. And just because we might not have people from the sect here does not give license to talk about how horrible we think their religion might be. :twocents:I agree, completely, and if this thread goes in that direction, it will be closed.

Sherri
April 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I ordered the braiding DVDs from the FLDS Crafts website, I'll report back when I get them. I sent a query to their site asking whether they shipped internationally, and they were really friendly and helpful.
Yes do report back. I love to braid and was thinking of ordering them myself, but was not sure if they would be any good or not.

frodolaughs
April 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I think this is a very interesting thread. Although of course it isn't good to get critical of other people's religious beliefs, I do think there was a lot of curiosity here mixed in with the judgemental comments. From posts like these we can learn a lot about each others ideas and views, and I know there are many people here whose thinking is quite different from mine, and from my 'real world' friends, so I welcome learning about that. Where would be an appropriate place for postings about hair and culture? I think it's fascinating that certain hairstyles, hair lengths, and hair habits (?) are linked to different cultural and religious beliefs. I appreciate knowing about these things. I also make choices in my own dress and hair based in part on not wanting to be automatically associated with a group of which I am not a member--not necessarily because I think ill of them, but out of respect. For example, I wouldn't wear a group's religious clothing because I thought it was 'cool-looking.' I would find that disrespectful. It's complicated, and I know everyone has to find their own comfort levels in all sorts of things in life--and that despite best efforts, some people will always be hurt and/or offended.

kanesmom2
November 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Has anyone reported back on the vids of their braiding? I tried to order mine today, but their website says that their doors are closed. :(

longhairedfairy
November 17th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Has anyone reported back on the vids of their braiding? I tried to order mine today, but their website says that their doors are closed. :(
Maybe they just didn't have enough buyers and stopped selling.