PDA

View Full Version : people with naturally curly hair

Ricky22
March 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Theres something I've been curious about, when it comes to people with naturally curly hair how come their hair "poofs" up real big-looking after they wash their hair?

but thats pretty cool how it does that! I wish my hair would do that but instead it does the opposite :(

Dreams_in_Pink
March 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM
My hair is wavy, but still it triples its size & frizz when washed.

I guess it has something to do with thickness & density of curly hair.

misspriss
March 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
The way I see it, curly hair is curly to the root. It poufs up more when it is clean. Wavy hair (like mine) isn't curly around the roots, it's only poufy at the bottom.

I don't know why it does it. Maybe because it isn't weighted down as much?

spidermom
March 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Mine is only partly curly, but it poofs up big when I wash it. I think this is because I wash away all the sebum and oil and hair styling products. There's nothing to weigh it down. Plus all the shorter, newer hairs like to stick out, which pushes the longer hairs outward too.

mira-chan
March 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM
The way I see it, curly hair is curly to the root. It poufs up more when it is clean. Wavy hair (like mine) isn't curly around the roots, it's only poufy at the bottom.

I don't know why it does it. Maybe because it isn't weighted down as much?

There are two factors to this. Curl and coarseness. I have wavy coarse hair and it poofs up at the roots because coarse hair doesn't bend as easily so doesn't obey gravity as readily.

The poof from curl at the root is because as misspriss mentioned curl starts from he follicle and this the curl formation start right at the root. Curls themselves take up space as the turn. The is more space/ air between each strand so they have a larger area as a mass, hence it looks pouffier.

When these curly strands are misaligned with each hair going it's own direction, instead of all together in clumps, it poofs. When all are aligned you get ringlet clumps. You can also align with straightening effect all the hair as a mass with a boar bristle brush (with oil to make the hair heavier so it doesn't frizz) or damp bunning though that doesn't work for everyone.

Ricky22
March 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM
thats beasty how ya'll hair does that lol

Áine
March 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Ricky,

I think with your hair type, you may not have a continuous wave or curl pattern for the hair to get arranged into. As far as I'm aware, kinky types tend to experience more "shrinkage" than "poofiness".

If you want the poofiness, I think that can be achieved with some good moiturization on clean hair, and a pick or wide tooth comb.

ElizaSea
March 30th, 2009, 06:30 PM
The longer my hair is, the straighter my roots get. I've had my hair this length before, and it was straight until about my ears, when it starts curling. The poof never happened on top of my head.

I have noticed that it's a lot thicker when I wear it down or in a braid. If I bun it, the thickness goes down substantially.

Debra83
March 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Theres something I've been curious about, when it comes to people with naturally curly hair how come their hair "poofs" up real big-looking after they wash their hair?

but thats pretty cool how it does that! I wish my hair would do that but instead it does the opposite :(

I don't know why my hair goes poofy, but it drives me crazy. sigh.

Ricky22
March 30th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Ricky,

I think with your hair type, you may not have a continuous wave or curl pattern for the hair to get arranged into. As far as I'm aware, kinky types tend to experience more "shrinkage" than "poofiness".

If you want the poofiness, I think that can be achieved with some good moiturization on clean hair, and a pick or wide tooth comb.

your definitely right about shrinkage! thats the main reason why I only wash my hair on weekends because after my hair gets shampoo'd and conditioned it shrinks up to the point of where my hair will not puff up very big at all and I CANNOT go to school like that lol but I always make sure to carry my afro pick with me

KBG
March 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
After my last BC it took me about 3 years be able to have a decent wash and go. I need a lot of length/weight to balance my shrinkage.

My hair is short now so I have to braid-set it (I'm currently loving the Pantene detangling spray and a bit of Amla oil as a leave in) for volume. I have a huge head, so it's 8 braids now to stretch it. The longer it gets, the fewer braids I need. I use a wide-toothed comb and my fingers to massage the parts away, so my fro or puff (with headband) isn't gappy.

If I want to freshen it, I mist with water or conditioner + water and rebraid at night.

My daughter has the hair that gets larger. lol! That's another scene entirely. It seems that length helps that as well.

Ricky22
March 30th, 2009, 07:55 PM
After my last BC it took me about 3 years be able to have a decent wash and go. I need a lot of length/weight to balance my shrinkage.

My hair is short now so I have to braid-set it (I'm currently loving the Pantene detangling spray and a bit of Amla oil as a leave in) for volume. I have a huge head, so it's 8 braids now to stretch it. The longer it gets, the fewer braids I need. I use a wide-toothed comb and my fingers to massage the parts away, so my fro or puff (with headband) isn't gappy.

If I want to freshen it, I mist with water or conditioner + water and rebraid at night.

My daughter has the hair that gets larger. lol! That's another scene entirely. It seems that length helps that as well.

I wish I knew how to braid my own hair so I could maybe try that one day but ah well....lol

you mean your daughter has that mixed peopl curly hair?

KBG
March 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM
hmmm..i think my oldest has the more stereoptypical mixie hair (my husband is european) type 3 curly 'fro. I said 'stereotypical' since this is tricky territory because i know multiracials with type 2 to 4 like mine... Our middle son has huge ringlets but no poof. It looks rollerset when longer and mostly straight when short.

Our daughter's hair, i'm still learning. it's wavy, curly, and fine. I cut it into a bob and it's alright day of styling but just expands & poofs like crazy, esp since the haircut..she's young and it's cute (well to me at least ..lol) now but I can hear the middle school complaints already. I think it will be fine if she keeps it on the longer side.

Have you checked youtube.com yet, there are lots of cool curly & afro hair vids/tips/tricks etc.

If the braiding is too much then just try not to cut/trim more than absolutely necessary. Again, the length makes a huge difference. Leave-in condtioners and even a bit of (don't scream, ok, lol) curly perm activator product can give a good finish.

Ricky22
March 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM
hmmm..i think my oldest has the more stereoptypical mixie hair (my husband is european) type 3 curly 'fro. I said 'stereotypical' since this is tricky territory because i know multiracials with type 2 to 4 like mine... Our middle son has huge ringlets but no poof. It looks rollerset when longer and mostly straight when short.

Our daughter's hair, i'm still learning. it's wavy, curly, and fine. I cut it into a bob and it's alright day of styling but just expands & poofs like crazy, esp since the haircut..she's young and it's cute (well to me at least ..lol) now but I can hear the middle school complaints already. I think it will be fine if she keeps it on the longer side.

Have you checked youtube.com yet, there are lots of cool curly & afro hair vids/tips/tricks etc.

If the braiding is too much then just try not to cut/trim more than absolutely necessary. Again, the length makes a huge difference. Leave-in condtioners and even a bit of (don't scream, ok, lol) curly perm activator product can give a good finish.

lol it sounds to me like your kids got some COOL hair!

I've looked at some of them videos on youtube and their pretty helpful

occasionally I'll get my hair trimmed and yup yup I be using them curl activators lol

KBG
March 30th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Have you seen cynthiarf's vids? She has gorgeous, TDF, type 4 hair!

http://www.youtube.com/user/cynthiarf

she's one of my youtube hair idols..lol

... but yah, i understand my oldest's hair most since it's close to my mom's.. i think he'll be able to do an excellent right on classic 'fro. my other two..i'm not sure... my daughter can probably do 'froesque eventually(?) They can blame it dh's type 1 lol! j/k ...I love all types of hair. <3

Ricky22
March 31st, 2009, 05:22 AM
Have you seen cynthiarf's vids? She has gorgeous, TDF, type 4 hair!

http://www.youtube.com/user/cynthiarf

she's one of my youtube hair idols..lol

... but yah, i understand my oldest's hair most since it's close to my mom's.. i think he'll be able to do an excellent right on classic 'fro. my other two..i'm not sure... my daughter can probably do 'froesque eventually(?) They can blame it dh's type 1 lol! j/k ...I love all types of hair. <3

do you have any pictures of your kids hair that you could show?