PDA

View Full Version : No color in 2009!

LaurelSpring
March 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I thought that I would start this offshoot thread from the Salt and Pepper thread and the Long Count to Natural Length Thread. I really want to let my natural silver come out and it is so much harder to kick the color habit than I thought it would be.

The no trims in 2009 thread has really helped me stay focused and determind to not trim so I thought that maybe a no color thread would help me keep my determination to not color.

Its still early enough in the year to start the resolution I think so if anyone would like to hang in there and not color for the rest of the year also I could use the support.

Chamy
March 30th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Im in. Although im not at a salt and peppar stage in life. But i do have virgin hair that i would like to keep virgin.
I have urges to colour it red, so i will defenitely join no colour in 2009 to keep from colourin at least for a year!

LaurelSpring
March 30th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for joining me Chamy!

Yedda
March 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I'm in too. I have had so much damage from color that I'm voting for no dye or highlights for life, but it's probably better to start with a shorter-term goal.:)

No color in 2009! Woot woot!

punkgirl89
March 30th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I'm in! I have been addicted to hair dye for 5 years and barely even remember what my natural shade is. I recently henndigoed the 2.5in of hair I have to medium brown which should blend ok with my natural shade. I'm not sure I'll keep it natural, but I want to at least see what my natural shade looks like for a while before I get on the dye train again (henna/indigo) I've given up the chemical stuff for life.

Plus, I think it might help my hair health/growth to not dye or trim it for the rest of the year. Benign neglect, here we come!!!

punkgirl89
March 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Also, I'm just imagining all the money I'll save :-)....could spend it on peircing instead ;-)

Akiko
March 30th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I would like to join.:waving: My few silvers are looking good as is... I would like to keep them that way.

JamieLeigh
March 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I'm definitely not going to color! ;) I haven't colored since 1998, and thankfully all of the damage that I had from that horrible time period has all been cut away. My greys are starting to pop out now too, I have 7 that I can see (who knows about the back? lol), and I'm welcoming them. I've got 5 kids and a crazy ex-husband; I think I've earned them!! :eek:

melrose1985
March 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I'm still deciding if maybe i should try a henna gloss to help with some damage i have, but i made a pack with myself that there will be no coloring this year. In fact no chemicals on my hair this year. I have been doing it since about oct of 2008!

wintersun99
March 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I'm going to subscribe to this thread (although I'm not yet ready to commit) I really wanna see what cassia does on my grays first. But, I will be standing by with cheers!

ETA: the last time I "colored" my hair (using henna/indigo) was on 3/13/09 and I did only the roots. I currently have about 1/2" of regrowth (as of 3/30/09)

Bianca
March 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I'm in. I dont have salt and pepper hair, but I do have lots of damaged hair after bleach and dye. It's time to go natural :p

Carina
March 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I am so tempted to put highlights in my hair again.I fight the urge everyday not to call my local salon to get it done.Fingers crossed that the urge will go away soon.

Yedda
March 30th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Oh, no cassia either? I might try some cassia but not for color as it will not affect my dark hair, but rather for conditioning effects.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 30th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I don't know if this news without photos will encourage you, but i'll tell you anyway :)

Yesterday, on my way to school, i saw a woman with straight (possibly straightened) brown hair with visible gray strands. But, she matched her grays with her make-up so wonderfully that no other haircolour would fit her better! (she had grays mostly around her face and her eye makeup was white-gray eyeshadow with heavy black liner...not to mention her black leather jacket and high-heel boots!)

There was another woman i saw in a shopping center...She had hip-length gray-white hair which was obviously virgin...She was wearing silver boots, white jacket and silver lipstick (don't have an idea how she found that lipstick!) She was pretty old, but who cares when you've got a style?? ;)

Rohele
March 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Count me in.

I've stopped dying because of damage, but was dismayed to see the amount of gray hair I have. I haven't posted in the salt and pepper thread because I don't feel 100% certain about wether I can accept them or not. My hair is at a really ugly stage, about 3" of regrowth, so it looks like I've just been neglecting myself at this point. I find myself lingering in the hair colour aisle at the drugstore and I need someone to say no and slap my hands away, before I cave and buy a box.

long.again
March 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I may be ready for this. I am trying to dye my 8 inches of grow out with henna mixs to match it to my 4 inches of virgin roots. But I totally have the goal to not dye anymore and I am not doing full head dyes. My bleached out ends look awful next to my dark roots. :(

LaurelSpring
March 30th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I'm in! I have been addicted to hair dye for 5 years and barely even remember what my natural shade is. I recently henndigoed the 2.5in of hair I have to medium brown which should blend ok with my natural shade. I'm not sure I'll keep it natural, but I want to at least see what my natural shade looks like for a while before I get on the dye train again (henna/indigo) I've given up the chemical stuff for life.

Plus, I think it might help my hair health/growth to not dye or trim it for the rest of the year. Benign neglect, here we come!!!

When I started to try to match my natural shade my Mom kept telling me it was too dark. I told her she didnt even know what my natural shade was because I had colored it light brown for 20 years!

I think I need a 12 step program or something for this!

Thanks everyone for joining in.

enfys
March 30th, 2009, 04:05 PM
All the broken ends I find when I S&D are on the chunks I dyed pinky red about 2 years ago for a year. They're going to take me ruddy ages to grow out. Now that thing is happening where the dye has faded to the bleachy orange/red and I want to dye over it so it disappears. I already tried this and it didn't work.

I can't promise I won't dye it before my wedding just on those bits but I'm certainly going to try.

Asha
March 30th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Am loving this thread. LOL I have very dark brown almost black hair and have dyed many times in the last few years usually just for red highlights and such but when I decided I didn't want the highlights anymore I dyed it to black, the color actually matched my natural color. But in November I had the urge to go a nice medium brown (forgetting that I had dyed it black in the beggining of last summer), so I ended up with nice light brown orange roots for the first 3 in. Looks awful even now. But regardless I have decided I need to leave it alone before I do anymore damage.

Asha
March 30th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Ha and now my black roots are coming in above the light brown. Ehh. Alas I need to leave it alone regardless.

Jessaka
March 30th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I'm in :) I don't have much grays or whites yet (maybe like 4-6 hairs?)...but I used to dye/bleach/highlight - basically KILL my hair all the time. So yeah, this year I am going to be good and not be evil to my hair by coloring it :)

mellie
March 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I'm in!! :waving: I've been henndigo free since mid-December!

Jessaka, your hair is lovely, BTW!

LutraLutra
March 31st, 2009, 02:54 AM
I think I need a 12 step program or something for this!

Oh yeah, I know what you mean.

No more dye for me, certainly not in 2009.

Johanna64
March 31st, 2009, 04:38 AM
I'm in too!!
Since I stopped bleaching, my hair is much thicker and healthier :)
I'll never bleache or dye my hair again!

sandrak
March 31st, 2009, 05:28 AM
Count me in too! I recently had my hair cut short to get rid of damage and bad color. Now I have pretty much virgin hair. But I have alot of grays coming in. I am going to try to not color and just let the grays come!

paper
March 31st, 2009, 07:49 AM
Oh, I want to join this thread!!!

The last time I colored my hair was Nov 20, 2008.

I'm loving seeing my virgin hair and have no thoughts of dyeing it ever!

wintersun99
March 31st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Oh, no cassia either? I might try some cassia but not for color as it will not affect my dark hair, but rather for conditioning effects.

That sounds perfectly fine... it's a conditioning treatment primarily. If (in fact) it does color grays a light blond, I've read that it is temporary and will eventually wash out. So, I'm [personally] counting it as appropriate for this thread. :eyebrows:

LaurelSpring
March 31st, 2009, 01:40 PM

I might use Cassia for conditioning but not with dye release. I have been doing the dye release with catnip for blonde but it is just prolonging my desire to see my gray.

Elenna
March 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
I haven't dyed my hair in two years. The silvers are now chin length. And the rest of hair is BSL with old dye, and there is a lot of damage. I want to trim off the dyed hair , but very slowly micro inch by micro inch. Eventually, hair will be all salt 'n pepper with face framing silver chunks.

wintersun99
March 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM
I haven't dyed my hair in two years. The silvers are now chin length. And the rest of hair is BSL with old dye, and there is a lot of damage. I want to trim off the dyed hair , but very slowly micro inch by micro inch. Eventually, hair will be all salt 'n pepper with face framing silver chunks.

that sounds like it's going to be a really pretty color mix!

Bene
April 1st, 2009, 03:57 AM
i haven't dyed my hair since spring '05, another year won't hurt. i'm in! :D

Stevy
April 1st, 2009, 05:54 AM
Count me and my two-tone hair in! I'm looking forward to the day that the dye is all gone, but I guess it won't be for a while yet - the tidemark's only just past my shoulders. :)

paper
April 2nd, 2009, 06:51 AM
I was washing my hair twice a week. Now, I have to wash every 2 days. My virigin hair gets greasy fast. I don't want to dry out the old dye though. Does anyone else have this problem?

Xandergrammy
April 2nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
I'm in. I haven't dyed since July 13th, 2006 and don't intend to ever color again. Maybe I can be an inspiration to someone- I'm growing out my dye with no trims. :gabigrin:

Rohele
April 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
I was washing my hair twice a week. Now, I have to wash every 2 days. My virigin hair gets greasy fast. I don't want to dry out the old dye though. Does anyone else have this problem?

Well... I have really dry ends from dye too. I always have to wash every 2 days anyway, because my scalp has always been greasy, so I'm not noticing much difference yet. I'm finding a heavy EVOO oiling on the ends a couple of hours prior to washing really seems to help - they are much crispier when I forget to do the oiling.

Rohele
April 2nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
I'm in. I haven't dyed since July 13th, 2006 and don't intend to ever color again. Maybe I can be an inspiration to someone- I'm growing out my dye with no trims. :gabigrin:

You and all the ladies over in the "Salt and Pepper" thread are the only thing that's stopped me from picking up a box of dye in the last few months. :)

I haven't posted in that thread because I'm feeling so conflicted about my greys, but I've been lurking like mad. All the pictures are very inspirational.

paper
April 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Well... I have really dry ends from dye too. I always have to wash every 2 days anyway, because my scalp has always been greasy, so I'm not noticing much difference yet. I'm finding a heavy EVOO oiling on the ends a couple of hours prior to washing really seems to help - they are much crispier when I forget to do the oiling.

That is a good tip, thanks!

Wanderlust
April 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
I'm with you!!! I haven't dyed my hair in over a year, and the ends are quite light. I'll probably need support when the difference in natural hair and dyed hair becomes obvious as it grows longer!

hennaphile
April 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
i tried out henna + indigo, and i plan on more

before that it was just henna

Ndnlady
April 3rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Count me in! No more henna or any other dyes for me, I have been wanting to grow out my natural silvers for a while. I guess my allergy to henna is helping that journey out!:rolleyes::p

Lize
April 3rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
I'm in! I have highlighted and dyed.. I have few inches that are virgin. In the meantime pampering the poor highlighted hair and S&Ding a lot...

LittleOrca
April 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
I'm trying not to dye my hair anymore, period, though I will admit I have been tempted by a henna/indigo mixture that would give me my natural hair back for sure, but part of me just thinks it would be better for me to just grow out my natural hair and trim off the dye little by little.

I'm glad this thread is here for support!

Arctic_Mama
April 4th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Sign me up for the no color team! No grays here yet, that I have seen anyway, but I am trying to get my length long and completely virgin. My last color was in August, I think, and I haveno intentions of ever dyeing again, be it natural or synthetic.

This is a dye free zone!

naturalme
April 4th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Me me me me too! I had my hair cut and coloured last in mid-Feb, and it was *very* average, and I really wish I hadn't spent that money and affected my hair.

Now I'm aiming for long, natural coloured hair (cough - hence the name!) which is healthy and strong. I look forward to hanging out here more for inspiration and encouragement!