PDA

View Full Version : Itching scalp!

Chamy
March 30th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Hi, im new here and i just want to say that i love TLHC! :)

Now to the problem!
About a month ago i stopped using cones, and my hair is getting better and better every day, its shinier and softer, it really works better for me without cones :p. The problem is that around the same time i stopped using the cones my scalp started to itch, and i got what i think is acne(it feels like acne, sort of bumps here and there) all over the scalp too. My hair feels great, but the scalp feels dry and itchy.
What do i do?
Have any of you experienced the same thing at exactly the same time you stopped using cones?
What else could it be causing it?

I hope my english is comprehensible. :D

Juanita
March 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Have you tried a different Shampoo and conditioner. I tried one recently and my hair hated it. Made my hair really dry. My scalp gets dry and itchy at the change of season from monsoon to dry. It's okay later in the season. I rub coconut oil into my scalp and finds this helps me. But my hair is happier with some cones.

Chamy
March 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Yes, a week ago i bought a natural shampoobar but it made no difference. I use the same connditioner as i have loved for a year, and i dont have that on my scalp anyway, its really weird.
Do coconut oil make your hair very oily or does the hair and scalp absorb it good? I mostly use jojoba oil, but i have heard so many good things about coconut oil that i have been thinking i should buy a bottle and try it myself. Maybe this is the time :p.

DarleneH
March 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM
When I've tried stopping shampooing for extended times (say a week), I get the bumps but not just from stopping 'cones. When I go back to shampooing or even COing it's cured. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but somehow my sebum production or something necessitates I really wash my scalp regularly.

ravenreed
March 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I always have itchy scalp and since I started acv rinses, my scalp is a lot happier. I don't know why, but if I go without rinsing with vinegar, I get a build up and sometimes little bumps. It was wonderful to find something that helped with that, because I have always had it.

mira-chan
March 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I always have itchy scalp and since I started acv rinses, my scalp is a lot happier. I don't know why, but if I go without rinsing with vinegar, I get a build up and sometimes little bumps. It was wonderful to find something that helped with that, because I have always had it.
It's possibly from the water, if you have hard water in your area. The acid in vinegar dissolves hard water buildup.

Juanita
March 31st, 2009, 07:35 AM
I like coconut oil because it keeps my hair soft and helps keep the moisture in. Otherwise I tend to have dry ends. It can make your hair look oily if you use too much. Usually it is recomended to use from the ears down. It does sooth my scalp when dry and itchy. But putting it on your scalp could affect the PH balance also.

Chamy
April 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM
When I've tried stopping shampooing for extended times (say a week), I get the bumps but not just from stopping 'cones. When I go back to shampooing or even COing it's cured. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but somehow my sebum production or something necessitates I really wash my scalp regularly.

Maybe thats the problem, i wash my hair once or twice a week, but i co between shampooing.

ravenreed- do you get the acne-bumps on your scalp also? i'm gonna try to do a avc rinse in between washes, or is it better to do it at once after a wash

maria_tasha
April 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM
I also have the problem with ichy scalp. I have really oily hair and my scalp always iches although I don't have dandruff or any other type of iritation. I hope that Fenugreek will help me with this condition.

Chamy
April 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM
I also have the problem with ichy scalp. I have really oily hair and my scalp always iches although I don't have dandruff or any other type of iritation. I hope that Fenugreek will help me with this condition.

What is Fenugreek? :o

viking_quest
April 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
I suggest diluting your shampoo or washing less and using a vinegar rinse. I've found that the vinegar rinse really helps with the itchy scalp.

mira-chan
April 1st, 2009, 12:30 PM
What is Fenugreek? :o

Fenugreek (aka. methi) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek) is a plant. The seeds of it produce a mucus when grated and put in water (hot/ warm) that is conditioning to hair. It's commonly used in Indian hair care and is also eaten as a spice.

marialena
April 1st, 2009, 03:50 PM
The scalp itches when you don't rinse well the shampoo, soap or whatever product you use. If you want to rinse well these products you have to have either very soft water in your tabs or use rainwater. Otherwise the vinegar rinse is a must because can dilute any remains of shampoos etc.
If you have very long hair is very important to rinse them both sides too. With your head down and with your head up because it is very difficult to rinse properly long hair.
And of course don't use very hot water and finish your washing with totally cold water that gives shine to hair.

maria_tasha
April 2nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
Thank you for all your lovely advices. I will definetly try ACV rinses more often because I've tried them before and it helped with streeching the washes.

hennaphile
April 2nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
i have the exact same problem. I've had a very itchy flaky scalp all of my life. It's gotten better since using all natural shampoo and conditioner, but it doesn't go away, eve with acv rinses. I also get little acne bumps too. the only things that help are

1. washing every day, gently of course

2. henna

good luck :)

Chamy
April 2nd, 2009, 02:38 AM
i have the exact same problem. I've had a very itchy flaky scalp all of my life. It's gotten better since using all natural shampoo and conditioner, but it doesn't go away, eve with acv rinses. I also get little acne bumps too. the only things that help are

1. washing every day, gently of course

2. henna

good luck :)

The strange thing is that i have never had a sensitive scalp before, it just started a few weeks ago :(.
Doesnt your hair get dry when washing it every day?

I suggest diluting your shampoo or washing less and using a vinegar rinse. I've found that the vinegar rinse really helps with the itchy scalp.

I wash once or twice a week, i dont think i could wash less, :D.

But the acv has been a popular answer, so i will go for it :). Its wash day today so i will keep all of you updated. :p

Juanita
April 2nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
I think I will try the vinigar also I already dilute my shampoo

maria_tasha
April 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
On wednesday I treated my hair for the first time with cassia mixed with fenugreek, camomile tea and little cinnamon. Yesterday my hair looked great, had shine, volume, everything. today it looks oily and ichys like hell. i've washed with diluted shampoo, used conditioner only on the lengh and still nothing. this ich is driving me crazy. I am a big fan of dermatocosmetics based on thermal water so I think I should try a dermatocosmetic shampoo. Or do you think I should try Nizoral?

butterflydreams
April 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
I was having a problem with itchy scalp but then I switched shampoos. I was using Giovanni TTTT shampoo which has sodium cloride (salt) in it. I switched to another sulfate-free shampoo w/o salt(s) and my scalp has been fine. I read it is added to thicken shampoo and conditioner. My scalp is very sensitive, i have learned.