PDA

View Full Version : Will you wear it down?

GlassEyes
March 30th, 2009, 05:25 AM
So, it has occured to me reading posts that MOST of the people on here who have my goall length (or longer...which may also be a goal lelngth) never, EVER wear their hair down.

I'm curious as to why. Most people say it's too much length and it gets in the way, but are there other issues? Does it not look good down? Does it do something odd at that length? Does it stretch out your curl/wave pattern so you don't like it?

Then you have people like Emichee, who I THINK still wears it down sometimes, and is beyond classic. So I'm curious. I want to grow to classic, but I still want to be able to wear my hair down. So maybe I'd have to consider a shorter goal. :shrug:

pdy2kn6
March 30th, 2009, 05:30 AM
hey, i don't have your goal length yet unfortunately, but i would assume alot of the people who already have that length hair, are looking to go that extra bit more, and have a different goal in mind, therefore they probably want to wear it up as much as possible until it reaches the length they want, or perhaps to prevent breakage if they are on their road to terminal. thats what my plan is :) oh and im sure you will be able to wear it down when it reaches your goal length if it is healthy and not got any damaged ends, which would potentially get knotty

Katze
March 30th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I really only want waist length hair, and I want it to look good enough to wear down. That is why I am trimming, slowly getting rid of as much tapering and as many layers as I can, so that the hemline looks 'presentable.'

IMO, most people who see long hair with thin ends, as mine are now, think of that hair as being 'damaged' or looking 'bad'. I tend to feel this way (about MY hair) too and I really want to be an advertisement for good hair care.

That said, I notice the longer it gets the more I either don't want to fuss with it or wash/style it or the more it gets in my way, so I am wearing it up more. When I do wear it down, however, it does look much, much better than it ever has, making me really enjoy the days I have it down.

Other people seem to go for the maximum length possible so they can use the longest ends for updos, or maybe just so they can say 'yeah, my hair IS down to my heels' or whatever. :D

patissegrietje
March 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I'm not even close to your goal length but... almost never wear my hair down. The main reason is because i don't like the tangles; my hair is not totally straight (even though it sometimes looks like it) and it sort of clumps together/ starts to look stringy during the day and i don't like that.
so it's mostly up's and half up's for me. :shrug:

Briar
March 30th, 2009, 06:15 AM
My hair is about tailbone length and I wear it down probably 1-2 days every week. I think a lot of people who have it very long wear it up to protect it from tangles and getting caught in things, or because it can get quite obnoxious to have to flip it over your shoulder every time you bend down to get something. I put mine in updos mostly because it's being obnoxious, tangly, or it's wash day and really just not presentable.

kwaniesiam
March 30th, 2009, 06:34 AM
You bet, or at least in a braid or with braid waves. I like wearing my hair down. Updos are nice, and certainly a lot easier to deal with but I view wearing your hair down on occasion almost like a reward for taking such good care of it and allowing it to grow to that length.

misstwist
March 30th, 2009, 06:36 AM
My hair is just starting to brush waist again after a trim to remove my v-hemline. I usually wear it up because the ability to wear cool updos is the entire reason I'm growing out my hair.

I usually wear it down on washday because my husband likes it down. Sometimes I wear it down for work (we're entertainers).

Melisande
March 30th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I'm at hip now and I nearly almost wear my hair up. For many years, I thought it doesn't flatter me but now I got used to it and enjoy it. Nice earrings and eye make up and HAAAIR TOOOOYS *greed glittering in eyes* make updos look so much better, and I'm happy and proud that I know so many different braids and updos now.

And when I let my hair down, it's really something special...

When I was younger and had long hair, I nearly always wore it open because I didn't know what to do with it.

Jessikinz
March 30th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I wear my hair down on certain days, like occasions. If I wore it everyday it would get all over the place, stuck in things, and in my way. My hair is just about tailbone length, and I love putting it up. That doesn't mean I don't like to wear it down though. I enjoy it when it's down. But it's a challenge for me to keep it behaving. Having my hair up has done a lot of good things. I can take it down and it will look so much better than it has ever been in my life. When it gets longer I will let it down less more. I really want to protect it from damage.

goodenough
March 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Grow it out and see! You can always cut it:) I was planning on tailbone--but even at waist, it's too irritating for me to wear down all the time. It overwhelms my face. I have a long face. I accidentally cut my almost hip length hair back to a little longer than waist last month, and I found even that little bit helped. I didn't feel sad at all. I'm getting my hair cut this week to between bsl and waist. And I'm having the sides cut shorter so they are right above bsl. My favorite updo is one I can do with apl, so I'm not worried about being able to put it up when I need to.

So I said all that to say--don't stress about your goal length. You'll know if you like a length once you get there. No need to stress over something before it happens.

Anje
March 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Mine is tailbone-ish, and I wear it down quite a lot around home. I often take it down when I'm "out" (restaurants, special events, etc.), too. But for day-to-day stuff, it stays up because it's safer from wind and random tangles. It's got to be up at school too, but for safety reasons, because I spend my days in a lab.

getoffmyskittle
March 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I'm at my goal (classic), but I don't wear it down unless the ends are curled, because I don't like how wispy they are (I'm trying to thicken them up). :shrug: In the winter I hardly wear it down at all (I guess I wear too many hooded sweatshirts or something?), but now that it's spring I've been wearing it down... like... er... once a week or every couple of weeks. Usually for not more than an hour or two, though.

It gets everywhere. It really does. :shrug:

akka naeda
March 30th, 2009, 07:31 AM
What do you mean by "down"? Loose or a half up? Or some kind of plait?

I never, ever wear my hair loose because it falls forwards over my face, so anything longer than a pixie requires at least some of the hair to be tied back, so half ups are the nearest my hair gets to loose. At the length it is now (knee) I wear it in a halfup depending on the weather, and depending on what I am doing. It likes to hug things and that's a PITA:), and if I am wearing fleeces or something similar and it is loose it tangles at once. I have better things to do with my time than untangling my hair:). Most days however it's in a plait, and if I need it out of the way then I put it up with my trusty Starlites.

I wore it as a halfup and carried a comb with me almost every day from it being long enough to tie the sides back until it was classic or thereabouts. Then I wore it in a plait until it was kneelength because it got in the way. Then I found this site and hairsticks:) trimmed it back to classic to even the ends up and started growing it again.

Nightshade
March 30th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I'm just about classic, so I hope that counts ;)

I wear my hair down :) Not to work, and obviously not when I'm doing crafty stuff, and when on the computer I like it up so it doesn't get pinned between me and the chair, but when I'm out shopping or laying about the house reading or going to special events I wear it down.

So, I'd say about 20% of my waking hours are with it down, but it's the 80% up that makes it so nice for the 20% down.

CindyLea1
March 30th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I'm nearing classic. It's there if it's SOAKING wet in the shower. I wear mine down most of the time.

Now, I do put it up for work. I work in daycare, so I need it away from fingers and messes. At home, it's down. If I am scrubbing floors, or using something stronger than dishsoap to clean with, I shove it down my shirt, or pull it up in a scrunchie.

My goal is terminal. I am hoping I have a bit more to go, so I am trying to protect it from getting sat on. I think I hit a false stall, because I do sit on it alot. I also step on it and it hits the floor if I bend over to pick something up. Sometimes the whole mess of hair flops over my shoulder and gets in my face. Right now, I don't count that a bad thing! LOL

Do whatever you want. It's your hair. I'm sure it will be BEAUTIFUL! Just realise that their may be dangers lurking in odd spots at that length

almudena
March 30th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Mine is waist length and I wear it down 95% of the time. I’m not an updo girl (although I have a beautiful hair toy collection)and if it's is up is for practical reasons
For me long hair is a vanity as it is makeup or beautiful clothes. Updos don’t compliment me as well as wear my hair loose. Besides, if I was not capable to wear it down because of not being happy about how it looks I’d probably cut it to a length I’d enjoy.

There are people who grow their long to wear beautiful updos. I grow mine long to wear beautiful long hair :)

Bloodflower
March 30th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I'm at classic and one of those people that never wear their hair down. There are several reasons for this:

1. I'm not happy with how my hemline looks. I'd like to wear it down more often once my hemline is thicker.

2. My hair is fine and gets tangled easily. And I mean matted tangles. Last month I wore my hair in a ponytail for about three hours and had matted knots all over the underside of the ponytail.

3. It get's in the way when I'm moving around.

4. I like updos. :)

Drynwhyl
March 30th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I'm almost at BCL (butt crack lenght :D or tailbone, how do you like it)
and it's down pretty much all the time, unless it's a bit greasy and I have to hide it, or windy\gets in the way...So don't worry, it depends how you tolerate it. I love having it all around. :)
+ my scalp hurts like hell if I try a bun, the hair is pretty heavy.

Finoriel
March 30th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I donīt wear it loose much (since somewhere between tailbone and classic) mainly because:
-I like to wear updos, thatīs why I have long hair :wink:
-Itīs a pain to sit on it or worse have others sit on it.
-Finding 40 inch long shed hairs in my surrounding all the time is not my thing.
-Iīm very active and it getīs in my way easily, stuck in doors for example.
-Itīs embarrassing to hang with your hair in a tree, have it fly into other persons faces on windy days and I donīt like to watch out constantly about it brushing īfilthyī park benches, garden soil etc.
-I work with dangerous tools, chemicals and dust almost every day.
-I have allergies, hair collecting pollen and spreading it with every movement is something I try to avoid.
-Itīs damaging, imho wearing it down 24/7 at that length and have it in healthy condition is just not happening for most hair types. Not for mine at least :wink:

Kanntara
March 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I'm at waist length and tend to wear it up to keep it out of the way :p I used to wear it down all the time because up was so heavy until I found the infinity bun (I start the bun up high and pull the top loop down and that seems to work perfectly for me).

I enjoy wearing it down but if I'm cleaning, cooking, or working at the computer I'm wearing it up and anymore those three activities seem to take all my time :wail:

Euphony
March 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM
(I'm at tail bone when pulled straight, so not at your goal length but long enough to know my need for updos) I think it just depends on a lot of reasons. When finding LHC I wanted to protect my hair from damage so I started learning updos. After about waist length I realized my hair gets everywhere. While I enjoy how it looks down more than how it looks up I've learned that to keep my sanity my hair goes up for most day-to-day activities. I do wear my hair down, but not often and when I do wear it down it looks terrific and it's a nice treat for me (and hubby loves it too).

Heavenly Locks
March 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I am not looking to get to classic, but at least hip and beyond. One of the things that influences my length goals is how easy it is for me to leave it down. Part of the glory of long hair is being able to let it down and have it look beautiful. I like to wear it loose, down in a low pony or just half up. If it becomes difficult I will trim it back I think.

I don't know if I will ever be happy to be one of those who leaves it up most of the time. :o (by most, I mean more than 40%) ;)

DotDotDot
March 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I'm barely classic when wet, tailbone when dry, and I don't wear my hair down most of the time except on wash days to let it dry, just to protect the ends.

Juanita
March 30th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Mine's at waist and I wear it up most of the time. Helps keep it in good condition I think. Plus I feel happier when my ends are protected. My hair is for me.

WritingPrincess
March 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I'm three to four inches from classic, and I have a goal of knee, but I can tell already that I'm not going to wear my hair down a lot. I've been experimenting with wearing it down recently and within half an hour it gets on my nerves and I braid it. I hope I'll be able to wear it down at my goal, but who knows.

JamieLeigh
March 30th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Mine is classic (FINALLY, YAY!!!), and I wear it down maybe one day out of 7 when I'm out of the house, and all the time at home, except on wash days. My reason for wearing it up at home is mostly because I'm a mom to 5 small kids, and at this point, stay-at-home-mom-and-housewife is a dirty job. I don't really look for it to get any easier with 5 teens either. :rolleyes: But hey, I knew what I was doing. LOL. :p Also, I love trying new updos, especially those involving braids, and I couldn't do a lot of the ones I really like if I didn't keep my hair longer.

I think you should continue to grow, at least until it gets on your nerves. Mine really doesn't annoy me that much, and I love the way it feels when it's down. If it starts to get in the way or bug me.....that's what hair sticks are for. And it takes about 12 seconds to throw it up into a figure 8 or cinnabun and stake it. Super-easy. :D

But I think that everyone should go really long, at least once in their lives just to test the waters. You can always cut back if it gets annoying, or if you just don't like the way it looks. But it's easier to find a shorter hairstyle you like if it's long to begin with, IMHO. That way you can look back and remember what it looked like at a shorter length....whereas if you don't grow it out, you'll never know what it's like longer. Does that make sense? :confused:

mira-chan
March 30th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I didn't wear it down even when my hair wash shorter with a very blunt thick hemline, so it's no difference to me now that it's longer other than the more variety of updo's to choose from. I wear it down for a few hours maybe a couple of days a year, for variety. My hair doesn't tangle easily and looks fine down, especially when very wavy but I just don't like the feeling.

viking_quest
March 30th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I'm not even close to my goal but I'll probably keep it up or in a braid. I just don't like how I look with my hair down and I'd rather have it up 99% of the time so when it's down then the 1% of the time when it's down I can appreciate it more.

ravenreed
March 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I am the exact same way! I have been wearing my hair up more because I am trying to get some length, but if I ever get to a point where I cannot wear my hair down as much as I like, I will probably trim it back to where I can. I want to get to tb, but I belly dance and if it gets caught up in my costume, off it goes!

Mine is waist length and I wear it down 95% of the time. I’m not an updo girl (although I have a beautiful hair toy collection)and if it's is up is for practical reasons
For me long hair is a vanity as it is makeup or beautiful clothes. Updos don’t compliment me as well as wear my hair loose. Besides, if I was not capable to wear it down because of not being happy about how it looks I’d probably cut it to a length I’d enjoy.

There are people who grow their long to wear beautiful updos. I grow mine long to wear beautiful long hair :)

AnneAdeline
March 30th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I wear my hair up most of the time when I'm not home. My hair tangles so easily, so it's not worth it to keep it down. I like wearing it down while at home relaxing, though.
I also like that when I wear it down for special occasions, there will be a shock factor for others. :D

JamieLeigh
March 30th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I am the exact same way! I have been wearing my hair up more because I am trying to get some length, but if I ever get to a point where I cannot wear my hair down as much as I like, I will probably trim it back to where I can. I want to get to tb, but I belly dance and if it gets caught up in my costume, off it goes!

I dance also, and mine is at classic; I wear it down when I dance and I have no trouble with it at all! I, and a billion and one other people, feel that long hair is the best thing to ever happen to belly dance. ;) :D

ktani
March 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM

That is exactly the way I feel about long hair. I wear my hair down about 98% of the time. Not long ago, the length stretched out, reached my waist but I cut back 3 inches, to offset growth taper, (I had not been trimming regularly) and the length was getting in my way. I do intend to let it grow longer though but I have no goal length. As long as I think it looks good, that will be the length.

eresh
March 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I always wear it down when I go to a concert or clubbing.
It feels good to dance with my hair down :)
Outside of work (work = always hair up) I sometimes wear a ponytail, but if I don't feel like talking to people I wear it up to avoid attracting attention to myself.

Wearing it down is fun, but creating differnent kinds of braids and updo's is fun too :)

Oskimosa
March 30th, 2009, 09:50 AM
That is exactly the way I feel about long hair. I wear my hair down about 98% of the time. Not long ago, the length stretched out, reached my waist but I cut back 3 inches, to offset growth taper, (I had not been trimming regularly) and the length was getting in my way. I do intend to let it grow longer though but I have no goal length. As long as I think it looks good, that will be the length.

I agree with you and almudena. But I do get that lots of people stick with updo's because of the wear and tear on hair. (Ooh, that rhymed!:p) But I don't like updos on me, for the most part, because I have a huge forehead and hair slicked back from my forehead looks awful. That's the whole reason I got away from really short hair, was because it looked aweful on me. I like the long lines of loose long hair. If my hair tangles up too bad once I get to my goal, I'll cut it shorter or go back to cones. But that's me, and for others a better solution is to tie it up most of the time so they can keep it.

Carolyn
March 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm almost at tailbone. I may grow another 4-6". I wore my hair down (loose or in a half up) a lot when I was in the mid back range. Now I wear it down when I go out maybe once a month at the most. It's down more than that at home. I live in a windy climate and that's just not good for wearing long hair down. Oh the tangles! I find it so much easier just to bun or braid it and not have to deal with it. Also the only day my hair looks really good is the day I wash it. I don't wash daily anymore so that precludes me from wearing it down 3-4 days a week. I don't mind wearing it in a bun or braid a lot of the time as it makes my life easier. Wearing it down is for special occasions or just for me to enjoy at home.

ktani
March 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I agree with you and almudena. But I do get that lots of people stick with updo's because of the wear and tear on hair. (Ooh, that rhymed!:p) But I don't like updos on me, for the most part, because I have a huge forehead and hair slicked back from my forehead looks awful. That's the whole reason I got away from really short hair, was because it looked aweful on me. I like the long lines of loose long hair. If my hair tangles up too bad once I get to my goal, I'll cut it shorter or go back to cones. But that's me, and for others a better solution is to tie it up most of the time so they can keep it.

My hair suits me up and I look good in short hair but I like it better in long and as a friend once said long hair "is me" (they actually said it "is you"), lol. It is part of who I am. I love it best, long and free.

LHGypsyRose
March 30th, 2009, 10:32 AM
You should definitely grow to your goal length before deciding rather you will like it at that length or not. As you probably know, your experience and your attitude toward your hair (at classic) will vary from those who have a similar length. There are so many different factors that make up each persons view of thier hair, and the thier reasons for doing this or that with it:)

I think my hair looks great when it's down. However scince it is so darn windy around here:angry:...I am not able to where it down much when I'm out of the house. But that is ok with me because I am so used to wearing it up. I do occasionally wear my hair down around the house because I LOVE the the way it feels, and I just want to sort of give it a break. But when I'm in the house and wearing it up, it's usually because I want it out of harms way:)

ShaSha
March 30th, 2009, 12:06 PM
My hair is short compared to most people here, with recent cut of damaged hair only to shoulders. But I wear it up all the time, have been doing that for years.

Reason being that I'm outdoors a lot and if my hair is not up it is in my way, in my eyes or my mouth. :rolleyes:

I do wear it loose sometimes, when I'm at home and indoors. Now that it is no longer shedding an looking better I'm looking forwards to a time that I can actually wear it loose for some special occasion. Before it was too thin and damaged for that.

I don't want short hair. I had that once, but the regular trimmings at a hairdresser and required daily styling were a pain. So I decided to grow back to longer. And now I want to see how long it can get, just out of curiosity :D

pointydog
March 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I'm at classic or a little longer, I rarely wear it down at work. Up looks more business-like and less feminine. I work in an environment with no other women.

I also enjoy the shock factor when I turn out at a party or other event with my hair down.

There is a practical side too, I have pulled the ends of my hair out of soup pots, the bathroom sink (with toothpaste on it) and had to cut a ton of rolled-up long hairs off the beater brush on my vacuum. Up means I don't have to worry about it.
Chris

Gumball
March 30th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'm not at that length (yet?) but my reasons are to protect my hair and just because when it's loose then it gets all tangled and is certainly not fun to comb out at the end of the day. It's my sanity and I intend to keep it intact! :p That and I like having my hair up or back somehow.

ravenreed
March 30th, 2009, 12:18 PM
That is hopeful! But I like the jingly belts with the stuff hanging off the stuff! I have gotten myself tangled up more than once already and had to be rescued from my own costume. :p

But yeah, having long hair while dancing is so wonderful.

I dance also, and mine is at classic; I wear it down when I dance and I have no trouble with it at all! I, and a billion and one other people, feel that long hair is the best thing to ever happen to belly dance. ;) :D

LittleOrca
March 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
My hair is at TBL and not goal, but I love to still wear it down. I am actually having to train myself to put it up more or roll it into my scarves so I don't tangle it and it will look even better when I do let it out.

When I am at goal I plan to wear it down occasionally or keep it mostly in braids. I fear buns might get too heavy, but I will see what I can do when I get to that point. :)

spidermom
March 30th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I don't wear my hair down very much because it tangles so-so badly, especially at the neck area. It can also be a safety hazard around fires, the burners of the stove, etc.

SwordMaiden
March 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM
My hair is an inch or two from classic length and I enjoy wearing it down or half up almost everyday. It is really healthy at the moment so I see no harm in wearing it down,...although, I always put it in a braid if I am sewing, or working on someting that my hair needs to be out of the way.

I haven't been able to yet find an updo that works with my hair... it seems to have a mind of its own and somehow slips out or falls out of any updo.

Marbles
March 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Mines at classic at the moment and I wear it up constantly. Its always falling over my shoulders and getting in stuff, I carry a rucksack outside so it gets trapped. I also sit at a computer a lot and I cant count the number of times I have trapped my hair between me and the seat! I will wear it down to go out occasionally, or round the house. But then it usually gets put back up when Im cooking! ;)

TammySue
March 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM
My goal is classic and it will be up most of the time (as it is now). I'll wear it down for special occasions, hair meets and for my SO. :)

GlassEyes
March 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I didn't really mean people necessarily at my goal length, just anyone who's always wearing their hair up because it's gotten to the point where it's annoying, or people who wear their hair down, or whatever. Basically anyone longer than my hair is now. XD Which isn't hard to find.

And I don't plan on NOT growing out to my goal. If it bugs me, then I'll cut back, but somehow I doubt it. :shrug: My friends have already started saying that by the time I'm 25 I'll be looking in a mirror staring at my butt length hair. XD;

redpenny
March 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Well my hair has been at classic for a while and I recently trimmed it back to a point between tailbone and classic length. My hair stopped growing over 2 years ago and before that I always used to wear it up. I could count on one hand the amount of times I wore it down in one year! =P I wear it down a lot more now, maybe like once a week or two weeks when I feel like it. I just keep trimming my hair back every few months to try and keep my ends in good condition; I know that I have a lot more split ends now than I ever did when I used to be more obsessed with my hair. I have also been single for almost a year and I know that has some to do with it because I try and attract the boys. ;) My hair has also gotten so heavy that it is really hard for me to wear it up anymore without it bothering me, so I know that is one HUGE reason why I wear it down more these days.

Sieren
March 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I'm not even close to my goal legnth yet (right not its close to my shoulders, at the longest) but I wear my hair down most of the time. I have VERY thick, heavy hair, and a very sensitive scalp, so even now when i put it up it gives me headaches. Plus, I like how it looks down better! So I'm thinking that my goal might end up being somewhere between mid-back and tailbone (I'm 6' tall, so that is still a LOT of hair!) so I can wear it down alot and braids will probably end up being my main "updo" hehe ;)

naomimcc
March 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I'm not even close to your goal length but... almost never wear my hair down. The main reason is because i don't like the tangles; my hair is not totally straight (even though it sometimes looks like it) and it sort of clumps together/ starts to look stringy during the day and i don't like that.
so it's mostly up's and half up's for me. :shrug:

same here.

enfys
March 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
If my back was made of glass and friction free I'd be fine, but it can matt up too quickly if I'm wearing a jumper or anything rough.

Also I get scared of other people. I never like to sit down on public transport with my hair down or in a ponytail. At the very least I will pull it over my shoulder. I hate people to even be sat behind me on a bus because I'm clearly quite paranoid!

Islandgrrl
March 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
HI Glass Eyes. My hair is approaching waist now, but it's been classic and beyond in the past.

I rarely wore my hair down at classic or longer because it was just so difficult to manage. It gets stuck in everything, chairs, doors, seatbelts, windows, the sunroof of the car, your waistband...you get the idea. That being said, there were the rare occasions when I would wear it loose - special occasions mostly, occasionally just because I felt like it.

So even where I am now, I wear it up every day (well, I am doing a Hair Up for 1000 Days challenge, so....). I find that when it is down - whether I've just washed and combed and am letting it dry a bit before bunning it up, or if it falls out whatever the updo of the day is - it still gets into stuff and is a little obnoxious. Besides, wearing it up prevents all kinds of damage. So there you have it.

RocketDog
March 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I never wore my hair down when I was a longhaired teen, mostly because I didn't really know how to make it look presentable when it was loose.

Now that I have some more experience dealing with my fine, curly hair I do plan to wear it down a day or two a week when it's longer, just like I do now. I've got a ways to go before I reach my goal, but you'd better bet I'm going to enjoy wearing it down when it's looong!

sneakybea
March 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM
My hair is at my waist, or a little past it and I wear it up most of the time. I could wear it down more if I didn't always wear a shoulder bag or backpack, or if I spent less time waiting for or riding the bus---it just seems to get so tangled from daily life. I am also a hair twister and fidgeter, so it is a good idea not to have it down if I am giving a presentation or teaching. That said, I think I wear my hair down once a week or every two weeks, and I like to wear it down if I go to a party or on a date. It's kind of like my high-heeled shoes that way---a bit impractical for day-to-day, but looks awesome on special occasions!

intothemist1999
March 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM
My hair would have to be considerably shorter for me to get away with wearing it down at work. At home I like to wear it down, but I was getting tired of finding long hairs in the kitchen, which would be a potential point of embarrassment (for me -- bad enough visitors are likely to get pet hair all over them, and potentially in their food...it's never happened, but could).

Also, because my hair has a slight frizz to it it tends to look dry and always looks stringy (at least the current old-growth does) I usually wear it up when out 'n about now, too. Hopefully when I get to the day that all the old stuff has grown out and has been trimmed off, I might get away with wearing it down.

~GypsyCurls~
March 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Mine is about at waist and I wear it down almost all the time. I haven't practiced updos enough to be able to do them well, but I occasionally wear a high ponytail or the half up/half down thing. If my hair ever got to a length to where I could never wear it down, I don't think I'd want it. As it grows a bit longer I'll probably hide it in updos while riding public transportation or anywhere else I don't want to attract attention. I'm a 2c/3a

flowers-n-waves
March 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Sorry guys i don't understand the hair measurements here...so I'm just going to say : my hair is halfway down my back ..and mine's always down. I only wear it up when i get a "i feel like having short hair today" mood lol or it's too windy. But it nice to wear your long hair loose isn't it ??:)

embee
March 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I wore my hair down until it was about BSL and then it was really long enough to put up a bit. That was my goal, a secure decent looking updo. And I have it now. :)

My hair does not look nice down, it's fine, thin, straight, and stringy. But it looks fine up.

kam984420
March 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Sorry guys i don't understand the hair measurements here...so I'm just going to say : my hair is halfway down my back ..and mine's always down. I only wear it up when i get a "i feel like having short hair today" mood lol or it's too windy. But it nice to wear your long hair loose isn't it ??:)

I trust you're female. Does your hair cover your bra strap? If so you're BSL. Doesn't sound like your hair is long enough for WAIST.

Elphie
March 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'm currently at BSL but I've been between waist and TBL before. I'd say I wore it down about a third of the time. I'm more likely to do a half up because I tend to need it contained in some way so that I'm not pushing it out of my face most of the time.

rhubarbarin
March 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I love to wear my hair down, and I would like to grow my hair to thigh or knee.

If my length ever became a hindrance to wearing it down when I wanted to, I would cut it back to whatever made it doable.

BranwenWolf
March 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I wore my hair down a lot when it was a few inches away from my knees, probably because I couldn't find an updo that didn't give me the mother of all headaches.

I'm used to wearing long hair down so I probably will when it gets to whatever, but I'm also going to get purdy hair sticks and toys to mess with so wearing it up is fun and comfortable. :D

Tressie
March 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Pre-LHC, I used to keep my hair trimmed to waist or just above. I wore it down a lot, but always up in a high pony for working around the house and sleeping. Now, I wear my hair in an updo most of the time and I am becoming used to it!

I think I used to sort of "hide" behind my hair. Now, if I wear it down, it's only on special occasions and if I wear clothing that is hair friendly! I do wear my hair down to dry after washing. I am much more aware of the possibility of damage now and I love hair toys! Thanks LHC!

Xandergrammy
March 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I don't wear my hair down much because it's very inconvenient. I work 6 days a week and it gets in the way and I don't want it to get damaged. My goal when I first decided to grow my hair was to have a long braid. My goal was never to have really long hair that I could wear loose. Hope that makes sense.

Ash
March 30th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I always wear my hair down on days off and I will continue to do so as it gets longer. Most updos look ridiculous on me anyway.

vindo
April 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Then you have people like Emichee, who I THINK still wears it down sometimes, and is beyond classic. So I'm curious. I want to grow to classic, but I still want to be able to wear my hair down. So maybe I'd have to consider a shorter goal. :shrug:

I think it depends more on you than your hair length.

I do wear my hair down "planned", meaning suitable outfit (dress, long shirt), wash day and freshly washed.
I would also always carry a hairtoy to be able to put it away for a moment.

If you are okay with that and putting it up on those oily days or on days when it might get in the way you will enjoy many of the longer lengths :)

myotislucifugus
April 30th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I agree with eresh (I'd quote, but I can't remember the pg number and I'm lazy)

I love to feel my hair when I dance. It's like a silky extension of me. In a halter top, it is heaven. Of course, I don't have ankle length hair.

Tragically, the payment for this vice is about an hour of major detangling, and hours of fine detangling, and all the bad karma my soul can handle from two hours of cursing. (I used to work for both a machine shop and a trucking company. My cursing is both inventive and masterful)

To avoid karmic blemishes, my hair is usually in an updo. Also, dressing my hair is one of my life's personal pleasures.

SheWolf
April 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
My hair is BSL.
I always wear it up when I workout or when I cook, no exceptions.
I tend to wear it tied one way or another when I'm out, if I'm by myself.
This may sound odd to some, but I am well aware of the sensual nature of long hair, and apparently, I'm not the only one... I have gotten certain reactions from the opposite sex which may be flattering but make me feel uncomfortable nonetheless.
If I'm with Mr. Wolf, no problem, I love to wear it down, he really loves it, too.

Themyst
April 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I wear it up most of the time to protect it from friction against the back of my office chair, sitting on it (and snapping back my neck in the process), dragging on the floor while I bend over to load the dishwasher, feed the dogs/cats/clean the rat cage, etc. I'm pretty active.

I wear it down when I go out because I usually have a different agenda - just go shopping, etc. where I'm not bending down a lot. Except when I'm in a particularly reclusive mood I won't wear it down, because I usually cause a little spectacle with it. There are not many long hairs around here and I can usually count on one to three comments (usually very loud where people stop and turn) on it lately. :o

Tangles
April 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
You bet! While I don't think it's odd to wear it up the majority of the time (hair is a distraction and wearing it down can be uncomfortable in many situations), I wouldn't enjoy having hair I felt had to be up or else it would look bad. (This is also why I'm doing a lot of microtrimming even though it's slowing my growth process; dry lengths just don't look good.)

Nes
April 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM
My hair when straight is just skimming tailbone length. I NEVER wear it up. I braid it sometimes around the house (when cleaning, cooking etc) but 95% of the time it is down, and it always has been.

I plan to grow to classic and still wear it down all the time. I hope it can be done. I don't find my hair gets in the way too much at the moment, but maybe that's because i'm used to it.

I would say try for classic, you'll know more when you get there.

Nes x

Madame J
April 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I don't wear my hair down much because it's very inconvenient. I work 6 days a week and it gets in the way and I don't want it to get damaged. My goal when I first decided to grow my hair was to have a long braid. My goal was never to have really long hair that I could wear loose. Hope that makes sense.

I totally get it. My long hair envy dates back to pre-school when one of my teachers was this Indian woman with a gorgeous long braid. When I had waist-length hair, I either wore it down or in some sort of braid. But I still probably wore my hair down more than half the time.

iamamanda
April 30th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I have broken the TBL barrier & am on my way to classic. I work in food service so it's a given that I must wear my hair up for work. I have a different look daily & my customers & co-workers enjoy seeing what I'll be doing with it next. When I am home or going out I love to let it loose. Although, I have to put it up when cleaning, cooking since I have cooked a couple of ends, soaked them in cleaning chemicals, and have occasionally became my own duster. I'd say that It's loose or down most of the time.

Please don't be offended when people compliment you. Of course people are going to comment on your long hair it's glorious, takes commitment & when it is well taken care of it deserves praise! I like to respond with " Thanks, I grew it myself!" My area is rampant with bleached out blond extension wearing fake tan having "plastic lady dolls". So for me it's like a badge of honor...my crowning glory. People often want to touch my hair when it is down and I generally don't have a problem with that. I'm glad they can enjoy it as much as I do.

spidermom
April 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I do wear my hair down when I have time to watch out for it and enjoy it. Since I last posted, I realized that, for example, I wear it down quite often while I sit here at the computer. I bring it in front of each shoulder so that I'm not grinding the ends against my office chair.

When I get busy and won't be paying any attention to my hair, I put it up.

Natalia
April 30th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Well im no where near my goat yet which is hip but i did choose that goal with the mindset of it looking good when down and still being managable and realistic to wear it that way. Who knows if that will be the case when i get there but thats my intention. Im growing for the joy of wearing it down for myself when i want to so i probably wont wear it doen that much in public as much as when im home, at hair safe family activites, or having a girls night out dressing upa nd such. I am temped to grow longer than my goal but i have enough hair issues as is no need to provoke them :p! I cant wait to enjoy the feeling of my hair against my skin in a bikini......sigh......

Dars
April 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
When I reach my goal length I will wear it down, probably as often as I do now. Which is on wash days, special occasions and going out.

Marika
May 1st, 2009, 06:46 AM
My hair is around hip and I feel less and less comfortable wearing it down when I'm out. It just tangles too much and gets in the way all the time. It's also very hot and heavy in the summer when my scalp gets sweaty. I haven't trimmed my hair for a really long time and my hemline looks a bit strange (right side longer than the left). That's also a reason why I prefer keeping my hair up. But I do wear it down quite often when I'm home doing absolutely nothing.

Sheltie_Momma
May 1st, 2009, 07:31 AM
I.

My area is rampant with bleached out blond extension wearing fake tan having "plastic lady dolls". So for me it's like a badge of honor...my crowning glory. People often want to touch my hair when it is down and I generally don't have a problem with that. I'm glad they can enjoy it as much as I do.

"Plastic lady dolls", hee hee this really made me laugh. I moved to Houston, TX ten years ago from Austin, TX and I was confounded by the amount of tanning, long fake nails, giant implants and totally fried hair that I see everywhere. I mean no offense to anyone, everyone can adorn themselves as they like - it just was foreign to me on some level having been raised by hippies and having a very different ideal for health and beauty.

cassie_g
May 1st, 2009, 07:37 AM
I'm nearly classic and still wear my hair down every now and then. My tends to tangle very easily and so by the end of the day I can have a big snarl underneath in the back, which is why I do it less and less often. You don't have to shorten your goal length just because you want to wear it down. Just be careful when you do wear it down and it is that long.

Isabeau
May 1st, 2009, 08:05 AM
Before i was used to braid or bun my hair. But i noticed that the braid dammaged a little bit my hair. So since one year i let always, even the night, my hair down and i try to see if they were less dammaged.

I notice that the extremity are more dammaged but in the totaly lenght less hair are broken.

Moreover it's a pleasure to wear my hair down even if i like wear bun and braid for special occasion.

sissadawn
May 1st, 2009, 11:15 AM
I'm hovering between hip and tailbone right now, with classic as a goal. I started wearing my hair up to protect it from breakage. I have noticed that it gets in my way a lot more than it did at waist, trailing in things, ending up across a classmates desk behind me, ect... And wind! I recently got a convertable so even with damage considerations aside if I try to wear my hair loose in the car it will blind me and conspire to send me to a fiery death, so I refrain. I do wear my hair down a lot when I'm at home, or if I go out somewhere thats not work or school. With summer coming I may wear it up more often even then though, I never realized how much more comfortable updo's are until I came here and started trying them! Once I reach my goal I may cut back to waist or hip, I want to thicken up my ends anyway. I'll probably keep a cycle of going between hip and classic unless it it that much different at classic.

Maelyssa
May 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM
My hair is a tad past waist length & I wear it up most of the time simply because it's wavy & the tangles are horrid. Trust me when I say that I'm desperately searching for a solution because I'd LOVE to wear it down most of the time.
Now I used to work w/a girl that had super straight tailbone length hair and she wore it down & free almost every single day even on those humid 90 degree days it was down & flowing & never seemed to bother her.
She also used sulfates & cones...washed daily & blow dried daily...and that makes me incredibly jealous. LOL
Her hair always had a style & looked simply amazing.
One day I hope to wear mine down too! :D

chotee
May 1st, 2009, 08:57 PM
I admire people who wear their hair down most of the time or atleast often. I used to when i was younger, but now, in a hot humid tropical place, i just don't feel like it. But i wish i could. The minute i keep it down, in about an hour its sweaty and i immediately put it up.

Nevermore
May 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM
My hair is nearly tailbone now and I wear it up constantly, including night braiding. I do it mainly because I always wash my hair after having it down outside the house and I'm not in love with washing my hair. When I wear it up, I just wash the parts I touch with dirty hands (like smoothing down the front) and call it a day. I like wearing it down, just not the washing part. Or the planning to wash it within a few days of wearing it down part. I haven't timed my washings, I should, but I think I go around a week to two weeks without doing a full washing, so it does get way too greasy to wear it down by the time it needs to be washed.

I also work in a place where I do alot of lifting, reaching and bending, so my hair would be on the floor each time I picked up earrings someone dropped or retrieved a lollypop a kid threw and that...would be disgusting. I do ear piercings too and it's just not sanitary to have my hair ending up on the ear piercing table every time I turn around. Granted, ear piercing with guns isn't sanitary anyway, but it would be far less so if I did that.

I do wear my hair down, and will continue to, for special occasions like fancy dinners, but most of the time there's nothing worth the trouble of wearing it down.

Jules diamond
May 1st, 2009, 10:48 PM
I'm creeping up on BSL and I usually wear it down. I'm going to have to start wearing it up to stop from it getting damage so it can grow longer then BSL.
My goal is about hip and I'd like to wear it primerally down once I reach there, but I realize that's not realistic.

Teazel
May 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM
Just grow it and see! Everyone's mileage varies. :D

At waistlength I wore it down most of the time, unless I was doing serious physical labour. You don't want your hair getting in the way when you're cleaning the toilet, for instance. :tongue: But that was before I got the yen to grow longer, so I didn't care about damage. I'd sleep on it, rip through tangles with a hard brush, wrench it out of doors; all without a second thought.

So the reasons I now wear it up nearly all the time are: 1. To prevent damage, because I kinda want to see where terminal is, 2. to keep it out of the way, and 3. because hair past classic length weirds DH out.

Oh - I should add that my hair looks pretty darn good when down, whether it's freshly combed or not. If I didn't have to wear it up for the above reasons, it would be down all the time. :cheese:

Periwinkle
May 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
My hair is BSL+ and I wouldn't dream of wearing it down. Mostly, it's because of the thickness: when people people put their hair down, they have hair lying on their shoulders/back, but when I put my hair down, I have hair lying on hair lying on hair lying on YET MORE hair and it looks absolutely awful. I wouldn't be seen dead like that.

I didn't wear it down when it was shorter, either. At this length, though, length/irritation are contributing factors as well.

However, I am thinking of having some long face-framing layers cut in (in addition to my fringe) because I do think I'd look better with a bit more hair around my face.

Raederle
May 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
Bits of my hair are tickling classic, and it's not overly thick. I wear it loose for my extremely appreciative husband. I have to wear it up for work, and I prefer wearing it up when I'm out and about because of its propensity to explore strange new opportunities for tangling and seek out new substances to become stuck in and new places to leave proof of its existence.

Speckla
May 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
I will wear my hair down unless it gets in the way. A curl is a terrible thing to waste.:cheese:

Debra83
May 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I'm at a length now where I'm finding eating, and brushing my teeth are a pain with it sometimes...and I'm still short in my mind!!!! But when I had it to waist both times before, I never remember having trouble doing anything with it. I did wear it in an upside down braid, which I'll have to show you when my hair gets longer again (that I made up ALL BY MYSELF!!! :D)

My point to growing my hair though is to wear it down, but lately I've really noticed how a half up (top back in ponytail or braid) really slims my face PLUS I get to keep the back down AND it makes me feel like it is longer!!!!

Starr
May 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
My hair is past tailbone and on its way to classic and I still wear my hair down on occasion. . . not as much as I would like, but considering the fact that I have two small children, it's a wonder that I get to wear it down at all.

I still plan on wearing my hair down on occasion once I reach my goal length, but only when I can fully enjoy it, without chasing after my kiddies.

Aditi
May 3rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
I am little past waist-length right now and i let my hair down 2-3 days in a week and the rest of the days i just apply oil and braid them.

Buddaphlyy
May 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
My hair doesn't grow "down" but I do occasionally wear it out. If my hair would grow to my goal length, I would probably wear it down, but in micro braids or twists to show off the length.

Gypsygirl
May 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
My hair is waist-length in the back and I wear it down all the time. If I braid it at all, it's because I want braid waves. So far my hair's fine, even though it's highlighted.

Teacherbear
May 3rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
I wear my hair down, but only for special occasions: weddings, special parties, etc

I wear my hair in a braid 2-3 days per week.

Fethenwen
May 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Oh I wish I COULD wear it down. As it is now, it's too short with outgrown layers. It wont behave unless I would use a hair strengthener, which I wouldn't. *sigh* I guess its taking less damage in updos at least. But it's too short to get up with hair sticks, so I'm not so sure about that either. This is so frustrating! :wail:

But if I had long hair I would let my hair down at least twice a week :)

chickpea
May 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
My hair is past waist and heading towards tailbone length. I wear it up for work and tasks like cooking & cleaning. I would love to wear it down more often, but my hair gets tangled and damaged.

mugglemomof3
May 3rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
I don't care how long my hair gets - I will always wear it down most of the time. I love the way it feels swishing around my body, and I only like to wear my hair up when it starts to bother me or get in the way. It may not stay as healthy that way, but I like it down best.

sandigirl
May 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
I almost always wear my hair in a ponytail. It's just easier. I do wear it loose if I'm out and for special occasions.

blue_nant
May 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
now that it's spring I've been wearing it down... like... er... once a week or every couple of weeks. Usually for not more than an hour or two, though. ... It gets everywhere. It really does. :shrug:

Within half an hour it gets on my nerves and I braid it.

It really does get everywhere and gets on ones nerves. Pesky.

I also like that when I wear it down for special occasions, there will be a shock factor for others. :D

It's very gratifying, both for MY shock value (I don't realize its true length coz i keep it braided all the time) ... and theirs, of course!

angelic
May 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Unless I am working at my serving job (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) I wear my hair down.

AJoifulNoise
May 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Day-to-day I do chores and the like. Hair in the litterbox, dish water, vacuum, etc is no fun. Not to mention all of the stuff it clings to, gets into, and brings along. It's much simpler to wear it up.

Sometimes on the weekend I wear it half-up so that I can show off the length, but keep it partially secured.

And I'm just at a bit past waist. I imagine things will remain this way (me wearing it up most of the time) as it gets longer.

LadyEliza
May 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
When my hair was classic I wore it down on special occasions. Mostly I had buns or a single plait.

One time at the beach I had it down as we walked along the beach. The wind was blowing in my face, my hair was streaming out behind me...

And then we turned around...

My hair shot past me, blew ahead of me, I couldn't see where I was going.

It was very knotted when we got back to where we were staying!

I learnt my lesson, no matter how nice it felt down, in windy weather put it away!

:)

PetraL
May 5th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Try it! My hair is knee length and I can tell You that I canīt wear it down very often. It is fun but You must always think first about the hair before you move or bend or just sit somewhere. And also I want to protect my hair from damage.

Cindi Eponabri
May 5th, 2009, 05:32 AM
My hair is waist length right now, and I keep my hair long because I like the variety of wearing it different ways. Most of the time it's up, but I also do braids and wear it down too.

Flynn
May 5th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Define "down".

I have no goal lenth, really, but I enjoy my hair in a nice long braid.

nowxisxforever
May 5th, 2009, 05:54 AM
My hair is Classic length (but doesn't always appear so, due to curl/wave/volume *sigh*) and I wear my hair down semi-frequently at work. I do technical support, so once I get to work, if my hair feels like behaving and was washed 1-2 days before, I'll bring it down to play... I cannot wear my hair loose outside and I cannot wear it down if I'm going to be "doing" anything unless I spend a lot of time with oils and butters, wash it in the morning, soak it in these oils and butters and don't move for 3-4 hours so it dries with a definite curl pattern, and then spend an hour smoothing down any frizzies and putting it in a half-up... :\ Mine is not a hairtype for easy wearing down unless I want to baby it, partially my own fault though due to not having taken care of it previously and having a lot of old dye/mistreatment damage in the latter several inches of my hair, not to mention having a hairtype that simply splits *super* easily. Ah well....