PDA

View Full Version : Update from Daily Mail's "Going Grey" columnist

Kuchen
March 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Poor woman! She has a really gorgeous pixie to help the transition to grey and gets the following comments from DM readers:

According to my Mail correspondents, I've 'aged ten years', 'aged 20 years', 'look like Julie Andrews in The Sound Of Music', have 'joined the army of helmet heads out there', turned into 'a flowerpot head', and adopted 'the fashion of deprived children of 1940s and 1950s Britain'.

Apparently my new haircut is 'sexless', 'drab', and 'a total disaster'.

Then a sister who calls her grey "self mutilation" and a kindly reader who says her skin isn't old enough for silver.

Oh and then there's this:

Hairdresser Lee Stafford says: 'If your hair is grey, keep it no longer than mid-length and get a haircut with plenty of layers, shape and volume.'

Hours and hours of fun! :eyebrows:

templeofvenus
March 30th, 2009, 12:57 AM
There is always someone out there in the world ready to negatively comment on something isn't there! and what is Lee Stafford on about! I think old ladies look nice if they have long thick hair in a plait or a bun!

Unofficial_Rose
March 30th, 2009, 01:17 AM
It's fascinating to me that the Daily Mail is consolidating it's reputation from "Worst Newspaper in Britain" to "Worst Newspaper in World!"

Although whether it is a newspaper at all is questionable. When I see someone reading it on the train, I automatically think less of them, which perhaps is bad of me. :o

I've seen some very enviable grey hair around, including lovely pewter colours and glossy whites. I guess it depends if you have a pretty grey or not.

Zindell
March 30th, 2009, 02:39 AM
One of the reader comments:

"There's nothing worse than seeing women over 40 with long hair, desperately trying to hang on to their youth "

Ah pfffthhh!!! :D

Lady Verity
March 30th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Ah, the Daily Fail. BF and I have a fun game in which we post variations of the following three comments to completely random stories on their website:

IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD!!!!

A victory for common sense!

This is clearly the work of immigrants.

I quite like using the first one for heartwarming stories about baby elephants.

Unofficial_Rose
March 30th, 2009, 02:51 AM

"There's nothing worse than seeing women over 40 with long hair, desperately trying to hang on to their youth "

Nothing worse?? What, NOTHING? Oh yeah this woman is a Daily Mail reader, she has no interest in what actually goes on in the world. :rolleyes: I could list 1 million worse things. Actually, it's almost worth growing your hair just to shake it defiantly at people like this! :p

Carolyn
March 30th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Ah pfffthhh!!! :DI wonder if it ever occurs to someone like this that there are people who still love long hair no matter their age and really don't care what anyone thinks. If someone over 40 having long hair is the worst thing that happens, then I'd say they are living a sheltered life :rolleyes: Good grief! God forbid that person should ever wander in to a LHC meet :p

Loviatar
March 30th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I was trying to keep up with this story (though without actually buying the Daily Fail of course.) Kuchen do you have a link to her latest update please?

Tabitha
March 30th, 2009, 06:09 AM
The link is here Linda Kelsey "Going Grey" (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1165684/My-lover-says-I-look-younger-And-hes-lying-I-dont-care--Linda-Kelseys-diary-going-grey.html)- I've been watching it out of interest as I have a few silvers creeping in (but not in an organised enough fashion to make a cool streak, unfortunately).

BlackfootHair
March 30th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Has anyone seen the latest Mary Kay catalog? Here is a link. http://www.marykay.com/shopcatalog/layout_10-11.aspx

I think she's absolutely gorgeous! One lady at the salon who dyes and keeps her hair super short said some snarky remark about how women shouldn't try to hang on to their youth. I wanted to say,"Maybe she's not. Maybe she just likes long hair. Maybe women shouldn't go getting their hair all whacked off when they hit menopause just because someone says they would look better that way."
But alas..I held my tongue. The hairdresser who's been doing hair since '66 believes once it's gray it shouldn't touch the shoulders. Ha.

ktani
March 30th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I lived in England years ago for 18 months. What I noticed not long after arriving was that there seemed to be a predominance of attitueds toward women from the people I spoke with, that were at least 10 years behind the times, compared to North America. From the replies this woman got, that has not changed, for some people (certainly not the majority, IMO). Maybe it is a tradition with Daily Mail readers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffragette)

Kuchen
March 30th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I lived in England years ago for 18 months. What I noticed not long after arriving was that there seemed to be a predominance of attitueds toward women from the people I spoke with, that were at least 10 years behind the times, compared to North America. From the replies this woman got, that has not changed, for some people (certainly not the majority, IMO). Maybe it is a tradition with Daily Mail readers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffragette)

Um, that would be Daily Mail readers, not all of us.

ktani
March 30th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Um, that would be Daily Mail readers, not all of us.

I meant certain Daily Mail Readers and no, not all, by any means. I should have rephrased that. Mea Culpa (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mea+culpa). I did not mean to offend anyone.

Xandergrammy
March 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM
:rolleyes: Good grief! God forbid that person should ever wander in to a LHC meet :p

Wouldn't that be fun to watch???!!!! :gabigrin:

MemSahib
March 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Oh yeah, the woman in the Mary Kay catalog looks just awful, doesn't she? (Rolling eyes.) As for the comments in the DM: get a life, people, get a life.

Spike
March 30th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hmm. After reading about the tinting powder and the highlights at the salaon etc., I agree with the DM reader who snarked about the high maintenance and effort of "going grey slowly."

I choose to let my silvers come in as they will. And as my length grows they're becoming more and more obvious--not only because there's more hair that shows, but because most of the new hairs are platinum.

Any comments from those in the LHC who gave up coloring cold turkey to go grey overnight? Do you wish you'd "highlighted" it in, going from black to brunette to blonde to grey?

JamieLeigh
March 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
This is why when someone tells me he/she is a stylist, I begin to automatically tune him/her out. :meditate: Why hide the silvers, greys and whites? It's like when a doctor earns a certificate in his/her field and it gets displayed on the office wall! So should natural silvers be just as proudly worn. :D Mine will be.

wintersun99
March 30th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Ugh - simple minded fools. Having just returned from Mexico, I must say that I saw very few women (of any age) with hair shorter than MBL (except for the tourists) even the women in the "late ages" all had long-to very long hair. Some in very elaborate up-does, some in half-ups... it was neat to see.

It's interesting how that opinion of "trying to hold onto youth" seems to apply to only those in the "white" western world culture.

az_sweetie01
March 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Has anyone seen the latest Mary Kay catalog? Here is a link. http://www.marykay.com/shopcatalog/layout_10-11.aspx

I think she's absolutely gorgeous! One lady at the salon who dyes and keeps her hair super short said some snarky remark about how women shouldn't try to hang on to their youth. I wanted to say,"Maybe she's not. Maybe she just likes long hair. Maybe women shouldn't go getting their hair all whacked off when they hit menopause just because someone says they would look better that way."
But alas..I held my tongue. The hairdresser who's been doing hair since '66 believes once it's gray it shouldn't touch the shoulders. Ha.
Wow, the gal in the link you posted is gorgeous! How could anyone say anything bad?

I think that the silver haired ladies are ethereal and beautiful, what's the difference between them and the person with platinum highlights? We like what we like and shouldn't be harassed by complete strangers about it....getting off my soapbox now....

I don't get it. *shrugs*

punky
March 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I could rant on for days on the subject of long grey/silver/white hair and why I think it is beautiful and that every woman should give it a try a lest once in her life. But I don't have enough room on this page:D. All I know is jealousy isn't a very flattering trait, if you know what I mean.

spidermom
March 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Blackfoothair, I saw the picture you linked for the first time yesterday and called DD and DH over to see how beautiful she looks. As for "hanging onto long hair to try to preserve your youth," well - I had short hair in my youth. This is something new. Anybody who doesn't like it can kiss my steadily shrinking hiney!

akka naeda
March 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Any comments from those in the LHC who gave up coloring cold turkey to go grey overnight? Do you wish you'd "highlighted" it in, going from black to brunette to blonde to grey?

No. I stopped hennaing in August last year and I couldn't care less:)

Arctic_Mama
March 30th, 2009, 01:08 PM
That gal in the Mary Kay catalog is gorgeous! I love her striking silver, it's so chic!

DragonLady
March 30th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I have no intention of ever covering any of my grays. I've earned 'em, and I'm keepin' 'em. My wrinkles, on the other hand....

Babyfine
March 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I agree with wintersun99, I've been in Mexico ,too and seen the same thing- these women look elegant, not like they're "hanging on to their youth".

Hollywood doesn't seem to portray elderly women with shorted, permed hair,either.
Notice how in the Movies Titanic and Somewhere in Time the leading ladies characters(Rose, Elise) as older women still had their long hair?

may1em
March 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Ah, the Daily Fail. BF and I have a fun game in which we post variations of the following three comments to completely random stories on their website:

This is awesome. Baby elephants and political correctness gone mad. Hee!

Are there lots of stories in the Fail about baby elephants?

enfys
March 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
As long as I don't get some monster awful texture I hope never to feel the need to dye my hair. I may choose to, but I hope never to it's not optional to go natural. If the texture is horrid I would dye to pretend it's still brown and nice haha!

As for this story, she'd have looked better if she'd opted to go shorter and punkier. I mean, she was cutting her hair off anyway. She does look really dowdy at the moment.

And still isn't going grey! She's using brown powder and highlights and all this nonsense. Pffrt.

spidermom
March 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
As long as I don't get some monster awful texture I hope never to feel the need to dye my hair. I may choose to, but I hope never to it's not optional to go natural. If the texture is horrid I would dye to pretend it's still brown and nice haha!

As for this story, she'd have looked better if she'd opted to go shorter and punkier. I mean, she was cutting her hair off anyway. She does look really dowdy at the moment.

And still isn't going grey! She's using brown powder and highlights and all this nonsense. Pffrt.

Does dyeing your hair correct "some monster awful texture"? I'd sure like to put my coarse wirey white hairs to rights.

Canarygirl
March 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM

ROFL...ouch! You just made me snort coffee up my nose...:lol:

Xandergrammy
March 30th, 2009, 05:05 PM
That Mary Kay model is exquisite. How anyone could think otherwise baffles me.

enfys
March 31st, 2009, 12:44 PM
Does dyeing your hair correct "some monster awful texture"? I'd sure like to put my coarse wirey white hairs to rights.

Well if I had surrounding nice normal hair I'm sure I could camouflage the monsters with colour. Unfortunately they always win the battle in the end. I'm due huge wirey sideburns in my 40s :cheese: