PDA

View Full Version : Wake up call!

LHGypsyRose
March 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM
The day before yseterday I decided that I wanted to use the yogurt and egg method of moisturizing my hair and scalp. I was all excited after reading about the good results some people have had with it. So after going to my refrigerator I realized that all I had was an out of date container of yogurt (about 10 days past expiration), but I thought , well I will just use a few tablespoons to make my own yogurt and I will only be using it on my head...shouldn't hurt right? So I boiled my milk added the yogurt, some fenugreek and egg and let the mixture sit in the frige over night. Then yesterday after noon I got prepared and rubbed my new yogurt mixture into my hair and scalp and let it sit for about an hour before washing it out. Then last night my stomach began to churn and feel a bit weird, but ignored it because it didn't really hurt and I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary to make it feel that way. Well I got up early this morning and ever since then my stomach has been upset and I've had to run to the bathroom about every 20 min! All I can figure is that it had to be the out of date yogurt in my mixture because I did nothing different yesterday.

So for those of you that don't believe that whole bit about 60% of the products we use (chemicals and all) soaking into our skin, well there you have it. It was a wake up call for me! I think I will be looking into using more natural products again.:D

Oh yeah, my hair did turn out quite shiny and soft, but I think it will be a while before I do that again, and it won't be with out of date yogurt either. :lol:

Carolyn
March 29th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you but I'm not sure about blaming the yogurt. It could have been it but there isn't any way to know for sure. You could have eaten something or picked up a bug somewhere that caused your problems. I've eaten out of date yogurt many times without a problem.

mira-chan
March 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
while products can go into the skin, it's not enough to cause such an immediate reaction. With such a fast onset of symptoms it's either food poisoning (did you eat any of that yogurt/ mixture by accident) or maybe Norovirus (stomach flu virus).

If the yogurt had active cultures (Lactobacilli, or Bifidobacilli, both are "probiotics") then it would be just fine past date as the cultures prevent the harmful bacteria from growing.

LHGypsyRose
March 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hmmm ok... I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary. I at all the same things that my children ate yesterday and they are just fine this morning. No I didn't eat any of it, Yuck!lol I know it had to be something though cause I don't feel well and I very seldom ever get sick.
Thanks for the input:)

Aisha25
March 29th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Hey dont go blaming the yoghurt now:D hahaha

LHGypsyRose
March 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hey dont go blaming the yoghurt now:D hahaha

LOL , out of date yogurt that is.;)

Anje
March 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't tend to blame the yogurt. I'm known to eat active culture yogurt well past the expiration date, even if it's already been open for a while. The acidity and bacteria in it should prevent anything nasty from growing.

Heidi_234
March 29th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I do believe it's the yogurt. 10 days past expiration is quite a big while for a yogurt. And yeah, products soak through our skin much more than we would like them to. Think about it, you can rub garlic into your feet and after a while your breath smells of it.

LHGypsyRose
March 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I do believe it's the yogurt. 10 days past expiration is quite a big while for a yogurt. And yeah, products soak through our skin much more than we would like them to. Think about it, you can rub garlic into your feet and after a while your breath smells of it.

Yes and not only that, I had to leave the already old yogurt/ milk sitting in the stove for several hours before putting in the refrigerator to thicken.

manderly
March 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I doubt the yogurt. Most "expiration" dates are in reality "best by" dates. I really don't buy into the whole expiration crap much.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1024879/The-best-challenge---One-man-boldly-goes-use-dates-food.html

spidermom
March 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I tend toward not blaming the yogurt. When it goes bad, you can easily see and smell it. The natural cultures keep harmful bacteria and molds away for a l o n g time. On the other hand, I have no reason to doubt the original poster. Whatever reason - bummer - hope the illness was short.

LHGypsyRose
March 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I doubt the yogurt. Most "expiration" dates are in reality "best by" dates. I really don't buy into the whole expiration crap much.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1024879/The-best-challenge---On (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1024879/The-best-challenge---One-man-boldly-goes-use-dates-food.html)e-man-boldly-goes-use-dates-food.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1024879/The-best-challenge---One-man-boldly-goes-use-dates-food.html[/quote)

I totaly agree that if the food is only a few days past due date, and looks and smells perfectly fine, by all means eat it. But it seems that I did forget to mention that all though it smelled ok, the yogurt did have a few spots of mold on the sides of the container. I know gross! But it wasn't on the yogurt itself and like I said, I was only going to be putting it on my head.

I didn't see that the man mentioned eating any kind of dairy products that are of date, although I could have missed it. Maybe I could be just a bit paranoid about foods that have gone bad, but have you ever had food poisoning? I used to drive a semi over the road with my husband and we did on occasion end up with poisoning that would have us out of commission for days. Whats worse is that it can be hard to find acces to restroom at times when your in a semi.
I remmeber getting poisoned by some ranch dressing before while we were out on the road. Fresh out of the grocery store too, and it was on a platter in a little container surronded by vegtable sticks for dipping. Oh boy, you want to talk about being one sick puppy! I won't ever forget that! As far eating sausage thats far out of date, that is pretty risky imo. Expecially if it has that old meat smell to it! No thanks!

So as you may be able to see By now, I don't think I will be talked out of this. Mainly because I know everything that I ate in the last few days. It was all out of my house and was just fine. My kids eat everything that I do. And I just happened to begin getting sick only after using the mixture on my head.
Also because I haven't been sick at all for a very very long time, and when I do get that way, my kids ALWAYS get it first.
I homeschool so we pretty much only share each others germs. Now if they end up getting sick also, then I will definitely reconsider.

Sorry but for me, all signs point toward the yogurt. Hey..unless the milk spoiled after I boiled it! But your suppose to do that to make yogurt anyway.

DAY 13

Today I had planned to eat a bread roll 13 days past its Best Before date but I'm now feeling cocky about not getting ill, so I up the stakes. Enter some Hovis brown bread, three-and-a-half weeks past its Best Before date. Except it isn't brown. It is mottled green. And smells of socks. I toast it and smother it in butter and marmalade. It is crunchy and tastes just like toast should, although during one mouthful I detect a hint of pepper.

Thats just gross.:puke:

manderly
March 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
LOL. Well I agree, dairy products get me squiddgy. But I tend to go by the SMELL and the LOOK rather than a number printed on the side :)

If your yogurt was moldy, blech. It's possible that you absorbed something, but it may be more likely that at some point in your process you got a little splash of it in your mouth or touched your mouth before washing your hands or something. If people got sick from touching foul products, then we would all have been advised to wear gloves when disposing of them. Considering the crud I've found in the back of my fridge, I should be dead :rolleyes:

Anyways I'm glad you're feeling better :)

LHGypsyRose
March 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
LOL. Well I agree, dairy products get me squiddgy. But I tend to go by the SMELL and the LOOK rather than a number printed on the side :)

If your yogurt was moldy, blech. It's possible that you absorbed something, but it may be more likely that at some point in your process you got a little splash of it in your mouth or touched your mouth before washing your hands or something. If people got sick from touching foul products, then we would all have been advised to wear gloves when disposing of them. Considering the crud I've found in the back of my fridge, I should be dead :rolleyes:

Anyways I'm glad you're feeling better :)

Yeah I didn't think of that! I do have a bad habit of chewing my nails. I know gross! :laugh: Maybe I wasn't intirely as sanitary as I could have been scince I was in a hurry. Oops.

I wish I felt better, but my body just feels so blah!:rolleyes: Thank you anyway:)