PDA

View Full Version : is sulphur good for hair

purush
March 29th, 2009, 07:19 AM
i use biotique margosa shampoo which contains sulphur .it is an anti dandruff shampoo . is sulphur really good for hair?

SmellyJelly
March 29th, 2009, 07:21 AM
(somebody correct me if Im wrong) Sulfur is in the supplement MSM which makes hair grow faster also sulfur is in onions and when onions are applied to the scalp it can be used as a treatment for baldness.

purush
March 29th, 2009, 07:24 AM
hey mate thanks for the reply

but it is sulphur (gandhak) they say

Finoriel
March 29th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Not for the already grown hair/length - sulphur applied to the skin / scalp is said to be beneficial and possibly stimulate hair growth.

mira-chan
March 29th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I second what Finoriel said. Sulfur is also used in treatment of dandruff and other scalp conditions. I've made a mix of elemental sulfur in oil for this purpose (don't do this unless you know exactly what you are doing.) Its big drawback is that it's vying for first place in the stinkiness award along with Neem and KPN neeli oil.

LHGypsyRose
March 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Well I used to live in apart of Florida where we had sulfur tap water, and although it could turn the hair a bit orangy, my hair did grow quite well back then:D

Finoriel
March 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Very true words about the self mixing of sulfur mira-chan.

By the way, if you are interested in the benefits of sulfur, did you think about using eggs to wash your hair with? :wink: Less stinky than other treatments like fresh onion-mush or elemental sulfur mixtures :run:donīt want to imagine that. Using ann egg-mixture as a cleanser had pretty nice effects on my shedding and new growth. Possibly the egg sulfur (the % seems to be still within an effective range) and the lack of sulfates in my routine... at least thatīs what I assume.

Sorry for somehow hijacking your thread purush
:o I hope you donīt mind. :wink: At least itīs still sulfur related, even though not about your exact shampoo brand.

Supermodelsonya
March 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Sulfur can stimulate growth. I take 1000mg of MSM daily and use Bee Mine Growth products (which contain sulfur) Some people use MTG (Mane Tail Groom) to grow their hair which has sulphur. Others buy flowers of sulphur and make their own growth mixes.

mira-chan
March 29th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Very true words about the self mixing of sulfur mira-chan.
By the way, if you are interested in the benefits of sulfur, did you think about using eggs to wash your hair with? :wink: Less stinky than other treatments like fresh onion-mush or elemental sulfur mixtures :run:donīt want to imagine that. Using ann egg-mixture as a cleanser had pretty nice effects on my shedding and new growth. Possibly the egg sulfur (the % seems to be still within an effective range) and the lack of sulfates in my routine... at least thatīs what I assume.

Sorry for somehow hijacking your thread purush :o I hope you donīt mind. :wink: At least itīs still sulfur related, even though not about your exact shampoo brand.

Yea, the sulfur mixing is not something for everyone. Elemental sulfur is illegal in some counties as it's flammable and is a component of explosives. Plus the safe concentration limits. My disclaimer to that is that I'm trained in this and did a lot of research before doing this so I knew the risks. That and there is nothing like smelling of poo gas for a while (it does wash out).

It's great for skin conditions though, like neem. Why do these things have to have such a horrible smell?

It's a good ingredient for shampoo and skin washing bars for those with skin problems. So I'd definitely say that's a good ingredient to have in shampoo.

Eggs for washing work wonderfully for me too.

BiggHair
April 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I make a sulfur oil mixture for my scalp. It is good for itchy scalp and to stimulate growth also.

Canarygirl
April 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I take my sulpher internally with daily MSN supplements

dancingmegs
April 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Interesting! BF's well water is high in sulfur, and he certainly has lovely hair. I don't usually wash my hair over there because there isn't a lot of hot water. Maybe I should start!