PDA

View Full Version : Taking a hair typing photo *tips*

Heavenly Locks
March 29th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I am getting ready to do my first official hair typing photo and a length shot for posterity. :)

I know the basics for a good photo-

Good lighting. natural light is best

Good framing. avoiding crooked/cluttered shots

Clear. no blurries

;) The obligatory hands on waist position

Head straight not tilted

When doing the hair for the hair typing, I know that after washing you avoid combing/brushing and over handling it while it dries. Are towels also avoided? Right now, it's wet and just dripping on a towel over my shoulders. I also know that you should not use any 'products' in the hair. (I just did CO)

What else do I need to know?

lilalong
March 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Wear clothes which are not too close to your own hair color.

I have dark hair and always make sure I wear a light shirt, so you can see the ends.

Arctic
March 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I think it's most important that hair is freshly washed and not manipulated/ added anything: I would say towel drying is OK. You could, if you have time and interest, take pics also while the hair is drying, to see how it looks and changes as it dries. The other things you mentioned, are a bit of a perfectionist side ;) lol!

Arctic
March 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Oh, one more thing: If you happen to have two different hair types in your head, you could try to photograph them both. Like me, I have more wavy underside, I gently lifted my canopy when I took the hair typing photos and took pics of the underside too.

plainjanegirl
March 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I would avoid leaning back against a chair or such while you are waiting for your hair to dry, otherwise that might manipulate your results.

rhubarbarin
March 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I need to post a hair-typing thread too, thanks for all the tips.

Anje
March 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I think the main key is to not comb or handle your hair, about from the point where you wash conditioner out onward. I tend to consider towel-drying (at least in a turban form) permissible, but if your hair is curlier, you might not want to towel-dry, since this apparently affects the curl structure a bit.

jojo
March 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Good tips, thanks

jasper
November 1st, 2009, 08:14 AM
Do we have a thread for posting hair typing photos to get input from others? Or does everyone who in uncertain start their own thread?

I'm curious about my type because I can't quite overcome a lifelong conviction that I have straight hair, even though length photos of my air dried and uncombed hair show waves, and updo pics show little curls on my neck. But I don't know that my curiosity warrants a thread of its own.

Heidi_234
November 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Do we have a thread for posting hair typing photos to get input from others? Or does everyone who in uncertain start their own thread?

I'm curious about my type because I can't quite overcome a lifelong conviction that I have straight hair, even though length photos of my air dried and uncombed hair show waves, and updo pics show little curls on my neck. But I don't know that my curiosity warrants a thread of its own.
We don't, but I always thought it would be a good idea to have one, instead of everybody posting their own calls for hairtyping.