PDA

View Full Version : Catnip??

Electric Sky
March 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I read the article yesterday about how to use a catnip rinse, so I went out and bought some loose catnip from the petstore. It seems like it's good quality, (at least, it was very expensive!) but now I don't really know what to do. How much should I use to achieve possible highlighting for my brown hair? How long should I keep it on? Should I wash my hair first?

manderly
March 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Here is a helpful thread on the subject :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476&highlight=catnip

Electric Sky
March 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Oh! Thank you. :)

KaeleyAnne
March 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
In general, you can use catnip in place of conditioner. A good place to find information about using catnip is the "Catnip for split ends" thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476). I've summarized some of the information below.

Note: these are the proportions that I use. Ktani generally suggest 1 teaspoon of catnip in just under 300 mL of water

1. Boil 300 mL of water, then remove it from the heat.
2. Steep 1 teaspoon of catnip in the water for at least an hour (I usually let it steep all day or all night).
3. Strain the catnip leaves from the tea - it's much easier to do this if you've used a cloth bag or a tea ball to steep the catnip.

At this point, I generally refrigerate the catnip tea - I've never used the catnip without refrigerating it first, just because I usually make the tea the day before washing my hair.

At this point, the methods vary. Ktani uses shampoo, then uses catnip as a conditioner. I've been experimenting with only using catnip to wash my hair. Others have used catnip after or before using other cleansing methods. The general rule of thumb is to use catnip after something that would strip oils from your hair (shampoo) and before something that would coat your hair (conditioner). Catnip can be used in place of conditioner. If you use a conditioner-only wash method, then use the catnip before doing the conditioner only wash. In almost all cases, the catnip is rinsed out of one's hair using water (though I think some people have played with allowing their hair to dry without rinsing out the catnip).

There are many different ways to apply the catnip to your hair. You can use your hands to spread the catnip onto your hair, you can soak the ends of your hair in a bowl of catnip and pour the remaining over your head, use a spray or applicator bottle, or use some other method.

Generally, the longer you let the catnip soak into your hair, the more effect it will have, both with regard to conditioning and coloring. I've let it soak anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes, and many people seem to leave it on for an hour before rinsing it out of their hair, especially if they are using the catnip for coloring purposes.

Catnip is one of those things that works better and better with each use, so don't give up if you don't get the results that you want after the first time you use it. Also, the color can be washed out with a few shampoos, so you'll want to use catnip every time you wash your hair if you are using it for coloring purposes. Since you have brown hair, catnip might not bring out highlights, but it is definitely possible, especially if you already have highlights.

Catnip works best on hair that doesn't have any coating on it, so you might need to clarify your hair first using whatever method you like best. This may not be a necessary step, depending on what type of products you've been using.

ImperfectBrat
March 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I thought Ktani used it mainly for coloring ?

If so, your results vary.

ktani
March 28th, 2009, 05:45 PM

That summary is very good. Here is the catnip article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118) which ges into more detail on different catnip uses.

I use catnip for both colouring and conditioning my hair as well as using it on my skin.

Electric Sky
March 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM
KaeleyAnne: Thank you so much! But one question - if I decide to rinse my hair in it and then put it in a shower cap, should I rinse it out when I'm done, or should I let it air dry?

flowers-n-waves
March 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM
i think this thread should come with a warning for those who own cats. HAHA

this sounds like fun, but...*looks over to pet cat friend*....do I dare is the question. ;)

KaeleyAnne
March 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM

From the catnip thread, it sounds like the biggest differences between using catnip for coloring and using it for conditioning is that when using it for coloring, one must make sure to evenly apply the catnip so that the color is applied evenly and the hair needs to soak in the catnip longer (closer to an hour) for the color to stay. For conditioning purposes only, one does not need to be as careful about even application (though applying the catnip evenly helps) and one does not need to soak the hair in the catnip for as long, though long catnip soaks also benefit conditioning as well as coloring. The longest I've soaked my hair in catnip is 30 minutes (and it's usually closer to 15 minutes), mainly because I get bored if I try to go any longer. The proportions of catnip and water are not different for coloring vs. conditioning.

KaeleyAnne
March 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
KaeleyAnne: Thank you so much! But one question - if I decide to rinse my hair in it and then put it in a shower cap, should I rinse it out when I'm done, or should I let it air dry?

After letting my hair soak in catnip, I generally rinse it out with water, then let my hair air dry. :)

manderly
March 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Ok, someone save me from digging through the old thread......what color do you get from catnip??

ktani
March 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Ok, someone save me from digging through the old thread......what color do you get from catnip??

Llight blonde, between warm and ash, it is not gold and has no brown or red in it.

I edited the catnip article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118), to give more detail on the colour.