PDA

View Full Version : Will my hair ever grow back (after ringworm)?

Alana2000
March 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Ok so over 2 weeks ago I posted about my bald spot and my battle with ringworm. Anyway, I was on Laprox cream and my spot has increased in size, and I have another spot forming on the very top of my head, so now I have one very large bald patch and a tiny one just starting to grow.

One website said that the hair may not grow back... Has anyone here had this and has had their hair grow back? Needing some help here. I see my Doctor on Wednesday about going on an oral anti-fungal medication. I am just so scared I will have this bald patch forever.:(

mugglemomof3
March 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I'm sure some will think this is one of those old wives tales, but it sure doesn't hurt to try.

Our kittens that we got from the pound in November came down with Ringworm diagnosed late December. I spent a week putting on the vile stuff from the vet, and then a rancher's wife overheard me talking to my friend in the line at the grocery store, and she told me to bathe the cats and ourselves ("shampoo" with it too) in buttermilk. She swore by it (and she was really old so I figured she might know what she was talking about). Said that was the only thing they used on the ranch for ringworm. Ever.

So we got out of line and went to the back of the store and added cartons of buttermilk to my basket! We "dipped" the cats in buttermilk only once, and I didn't rinse it out very well, which may be the key, actually. We towel dried the cats and then left them to sit in the sunny spot by the front door for an hour. Their hair dried all clumped together and stiff, but by the next morning they had licked themselves "rinsed" and their hair was soft and silky again.

So, that was early January. It's late March now, and every bit of their fur has grown back. I had three ringworms on my arms and legs, my daughter and one of my two sons had one ringworm each on their torsos. The other son didn't get anything. I never did treat the house or carpets (except to vacuum alot) and I consider our outbreak cured.

Like I said. Buttermilk won't hurt you to "shampoo" with. You might even try not rinsing it out for a couple of hours, and then only rinsing with water. ???

Good luck with whatever you try, and I'm sure some other members will come along soon to add their own success stories.

:grouphug:

ETA: Oh yeah. I did heat up the buttermilk in a huge plastic bowl just a tiny bit to take the edge off before I ladeled it over the cats. HTH

princess
March 28th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Make a paste of raw onions in the food processor and apply it to the bald spot. Keep it on for say an hour or so and wash it off. I saw this recipe in an old book.

Aisha25 should be having more information. May be you should ask her. Because I have seen the same recipe mentioned in one of her posts.

Nocturnal
March 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM
When I got our kitten she had balding patches because of the ringworm. After it was gone she her hair fully recovered. Don't get scared, be positive. It was hard to get rid of ringworm because there were new places contaminated with it. It finally stopped after I got powder from pet store, it was supposed for washing animal barns. I sprayed all the furniture, closets and curtains with it.

Honey39
March 28th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Of course it will grow back! I'm going by the cat's experience, right enough, but the fur always grew back on various animals we have had - it just DOES!

Yes, it will grow back - I don't see why it shouldn't, to be honest. Just be totally confident that it will, and your hair will recover beautifully. You've worked out what it is, you have medication, you're on the best hair site on the planet - you are going to be just fine!

Anje
March 28th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm sure it will come back, but it might take a while. It sounds like your body is still dealing with the infection, and then you'll have to wait for the follicles to kick in again. Once you've cleared the infection, you could always try applying monistat to the spots to encourage them to grow faster, but I'd just follow the doctor's instructions until everything's OK.

Oh, I'd be wary of the onion paste. It may perhaps work, but I remember a post once where someone did an onion treatment on her hair and her hair still smelled strongly like onions (especially when wet) several months later. I don't remember ever hearing if she managed to get rid of it.

princess
March 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I'm sure it will come back, but it might take a while. It sounds like your body is still dealing with the infection, and then you'll have to wait for the follicles to kick in again. Once you've cleared the infection, you could always try applying monistat to the spots to encourage them to grow faster, but I'd just follow the doctor's instructions until everything's OK.

Oh, I'd be wary of the onion paste. It may perhaps work, but I remember a post once where someone did an onion treatment on her hair and her hair still smelled strongly like onions (especially when wet) several months later. I don't remember ever hearing if she managed to get rid of it.

would not know about the smell. I have seen the recipe in indian medicine books. I used to use it with coconut milk long ago. I used to grind fresh coconut and poppy seeds(khas khas) and onion paste and apply it to hair as a pack. Rinse out after about an hour. I do not remember my hair smelling strong. We use aromatic herbs mixed with shikakai and make a paste and apply it to hair to wash out the coconut milk.

I never had any problem like patches. I saw in the indian medicine book this recipe for hairpack to promote hairgrowth and followed it for a long long time. It did wonders for the hair as a conditioner

Alana2000
March 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement, I will keep updating if my hair recovers or not.

dulce-de-leche
March 28th, 2009, 05:00 PM
My cousin had ringworm on his head once and when his treatment was over and ringworm was gone he grew all his hair back.I guess it also depends on the person too though.

oneKnight
March 29th, 2009, 05:33 AM
My kittens came with it. They didn't get bad hairloss, but it grew back quickly. I used a dilute TTO bath on them. My sister swears by Jason TTO shampoo for dandruff fungus.

My dog has had it (she got it from a person!) and her hair grew back quickly. I used genetian violet on her. Strangely enough cut hair does NOT grow back quickly on her. She has some shortish hairs that haven't gotten full length since I cut them over a year ago, but hairs lost from the root grew back quickly.

Despite all of my pets having it, DH and I have been lucky enough to avoid it, so I can't tell you any tales about human hair.

Buttermilk would also work the same way yogurt helps female yeast infections.

brok3nwings
March 29th, 2009, 06:05 AM
normally hair doesnt grow back if the skin is damaged like with scars or something right? I dont think you should worry about it really :) i had them twice and i have taken what doctor perscribed me and it was gone in one week

brok3nwings
March 29th, 2009, 06:06 AM
ah! and i had them on my arms (and i have arm hair) and it grew again normally

SmellyJelly
March 29th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Perhaps you could ask your Doctor to refer you to a dermatoligist :)

Speckla
March 29th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I know you're a human, but my cat has had several ringworms and the area went bald but the fur grew back and you can't tell he had them.

Anje
March 29th, 2009, 11:15 AM
My kittens came with it. They didn't get bad hairloss, but it grew back quickly. I used a dilute TTO bath on them. My sister swears by Jason TTO shampoo for dandruff fungus.

Ooh. I'd be careful about essential oils with cats and kittens. I have heard that their livers don't process it well, and it can be dangerous.

Tap Dancer
March 29th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm sure your hair will grow back. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

Roseate
March 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
My mother had ringworm about ten years ago, a patch on her arm and a patch on her head about the size of a quarter. It was hard to get rid of , but once it was fully healed the hair grew back with no difference from her normal hair.

I would focus on healing the ringworm completely before trying any hair-growth treatments on the patches. You wouldn't want to irritate your scalp skin further before you have kicked the bug!
:grouphug:

hairymonster
March 29th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I don't have anything useful to share, but I do believe your hair will grow back, as long as the scalp skin has not been scarred. Hope the ringworm problem responds quickly with treatment! :grouphug:

oneKnight
March 30th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Ooh. I'd be careful about essential oils with cats and kittens. I have heard that their livers don't process it well, and it can be dangerous. Yes very dilute, 2-3 drops in a sinkful of water. I was kindof surprised it was enough to work, but it did.
Straight TTO is veeeeery bad for dogs, which is why I put something else on my dog because I was dabbing it on the spots not dipping her in the sink.
My vet recomended athleats foot cream, but it didn't seem to help.

Bean13
March 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Just my opinion, and not wanting you to worry. Everyone or everything that I know that had gotten ringworm has had their hair grow back.
I just want you to be aware that maybe (in my opinion) some treatments may be harsh on your skin and scar you. That would be the only reason that I could see why your hair may not grow back. Just ask your doc on Wednesday.
Don't worry about it. It'll grow back.
:puppykisses:

wintersun99
March 30th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Ok so over 2 weeks ago I posted about my bald spot and my battle with ringworm. Anyway, I was on Laprox cream and my spot has increased in size, and I have another spot forming on the very top of my head, so now I have one very large bald patch and a tiny one just starting to grow.

One website said that the hair may not grow back... Has anyone here had this and has had their hair grow back? Needing some help here. I see my Doctor on Wednesday about going on an oral anti-fungal medication. I am just so scared I will have this bald patch forever.:(

My mom got ringworm (when she was a kid) from a cat and it spread over her entire scalp. They had to shave her head. Yikes! However, the ringworm cleared up, her hair grew back as it was before and all was well in the end - except that I was never allowed to have a cat... :p

Sorry, this is happening, it must really suck. Hope it clears up soon. Try to focus on getting rid of the ringworm and not worry so much about your hair, it will likely be just fine.

Alana2000
April 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Not Ringworm, my doctor now says I have Alopecia. Now I have another bald spot forming. Hopefully I have a mild form, and hopefully my hair will grow back.

kam984420
April 1st, 2009, 05:16 PM
Not Ringworm, my doctor now says I have Alopecia. Now I have another bald spot forming. Hopefully I have a mild form, and hopefully my hair will grow back.

Im sorry to hear about your alopecia. I know you're trying to grow your hair long

goodluckcharm
April 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
I had ringworm once in college, not on my head but on my shoulders and other areas. My peach fuzz grew back, if that's any encouragement. Sorry you have to deal with this, ringworm sucks.

goodluckcharm
April 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Sorry, I didn't read the above. Best of luck!