PDA

View Full Version : ...how curly is 'curly'?

Freija
March 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
So I've known I was at least a 'wavy' since I started growing my hair from the short-short/straightened cuts of my adolescence (well... I'm now eighteen and haven't had long hair since I was eleven :p). And I had ringlets as a toddler but I seem to remember growing out of them around age five. Then, as my hair grew over the past year, I started to develop a few spirals.

Now, at APL and after a year of washing and air-drying only - and especially today, the first time in ages I didn't comb through my hair properly after my bath - I look like this:

http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=28032009037profile.jpg%5D%5Bimg=http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7613/28032009037profile.th.jpghttp://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7613/28032009037profile.jpg

To anyone who has grown out curly hair: does this curl pattern look as though I might be getting proper (albeit loose) spirals? I'm excited!

GlassEyes
March 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
It depends.

Layers tend to mess with things. They can make a pattern looser or tighter depending.

Some people with wavy hair, at least as it has been said on here, get more and more curl as they get longer. That could be happening with you. I wouldn't expect it to go all the way to, like, 3a, but it may get close.

Honey39
March 28th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Well, until I was nearly 40 I had no idea I had curly hair - I thought it was frizzy and horrible!

Stuff that helps me to get the curl:
No shampooing
No brushing
Comb through only when wet
Use leave-in conditioner
When my hair is sopping wet, scrunch in the curl (I do it with paper towels), arrange hair to dry, and then DON'T TOUCH!

I find I have ringlets and curls - big surprise to me! They are more prominent from about two inches down, not right to the root, and they seemed to be most pronounced the longer my hair got, although I suspect there will be tipping point and the length will drag the curl out again.

Your hair looks like it's got the potential to be pretty curly to me - it's lovely!

Freija
March 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Thankyou, both of you! I hope my layers aren't deceiving me - but then I can always keep my hair layered as it grows.

Honey39 - Thankyou for the compliment! You have rather lovely curls yourself; so much tidier than mine!

Definitely the no-brushing and only combing when wet seem to help me, though I couldn't stand doing without shampoo - I can't even stretch washes at the moment (and my water is so hard that CO-ing would leave my hair dull in days). You can probably see that my curls/waves/whatever they are kick in from just above my ear at the front and a little lower than that at the back. I hated it when my hair was really short; the ends would stick out in every direction unless straightened into submission! I might have to try scrunching sometime, though - usually I just wash, comb and leave it loose.

Lady Lilya
March 28th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Unlike Honey39, my curl does better when shampooed at the scalp, and rinsed completely clean with no conditioner and nothing at all put on it.