PDA

View Full Version : Prairieland Herbs shampoo bars?

homeschoolmama
April 2nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
I haven't heard about this company before, and found them when Googling for shampoo bars. Has anyone used these? Does it work well? Does it SMELL nice? (because of course that's the most important thing we all know ;) )

I was all ready to place an order with CV, when my son peeked over my shoulder & asked if he could choose a "flavor" too. But most of the CV bars have wheat germ in them and he & I cannot have gluten so the only one left for him to try would be the Carrot Milk & Honey. He & I both have baby-fine, THICK hair. (if he had a ponytail, I honestly think his hair would be 4.5"+ around) Mine is normal-to-dry, but his is in that typical constantly-greasy 12 year old state... so I'm not sure how a moisture-rich bar would work on his hair until he's a little older and/or less greasy ;)
love,
mom

Patrycja
April 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
I use PHL bars after a member here pointed me in the direction.I've only used the Patchuli scent and it was really nice after that first week or so.That's the funky hair syndrome that they warn you about on the website when you order one of the bars.I just did a ACV rinse after my second scrubbing when using the bar and I rinse the ACV out(some let it stay in).I had to do the ACV rinse for about a week or so and then I noticed if I conditioned after my second scrubbing-I no longer needed the ACV.They say the tackiness and stickyness comes from the commercial shampoo that has left residue in your hair.All the information and ingrediants to their poo bars are on their website.

Calista
April 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
The Café Moreno, Lavender&Spice, Olive Babassu and (Extra)Honey Beer&Egg are also wheatgerm-free. The Café Moreno and Beer&Egg shampoos are on the drying side - at least for me.

ETA: Oops, should have mentioned I was talking about Chagrin Valley. PLH bars generally are more cleansing than CV bars IMO.

Chromis
April 2nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
I found the PLH bars to be much too drying for me, so they might be great for your son! None of the ones I tried were super heavily scented though I didn't try the Hempchuli one. Most of the CV bars are much more fragrant I think.

homeschoolmama
April 3rd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Ooooh, thank you! Maybe I should try a bar from EACH company for me then, but count on PLH for my lil guy!

I did notice the cafe moreno & olive ones, but since he's a light blonde I'm not sure about the cafe one... and the olive one sounded wonderful for MY hair, but I'm not sure about that with his greasiness. He's not an ultra-greasy boy, but he's still in that stage that you can REALLY tell he hasn't showered if he doesn't wash his hair every other evening. Oh... but he's growing his hair out for the first time in his life! It's about 1" short of his shoulders right now. He says he wants the "Owen Wilson" look... about 2-3" inches below the shoulders.

Calista, did you find a different list of ingredients than I did? When I looked, the Lavender & Spice one said it had wheat germ in it. I would LOVE to try it if it IS safe! The beer ones don't, but there is wheat in the beer itself so they're still not okay for us.
love,
mom

Calista
April 3rd, 2008, 06:54 AM
I´m sorry, Lavender&Spice does contain wheat germ. It´s hard to read those ingredients sometimes. ;) I agree about the Café Moreno not being the best decision for light blonde hair, and you may also be right about the Olive Babassu - it is very moisturizing. But it can´t hurt to give it a try. It doesn´t smell like much, though, so it might be a bit too boring for him...?

Oh, and I just remembered: the are the dog shampoos! The Cedarwood Lavender is one of my favourite shampoo bars. It has a nice woodsy sort of masculine scent, and it seems it´s wheat germ free! The other one is as well, but I haven´t tried that one on my hair.

Miss Murphy
April 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
I second Calista's suggestion re the dog shampoos. They sound perfect for your boy - no wheat gearm, less moisturizing, and a nice manly smell.

homeschoolmama
April 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Ooooh, that DOES sound nice! I took a look at it & called him over, but he just couldn't get over the fact that it was created for dogs. (sigh) Silly boy, he can run around the house barking at his sister all day long but heaven forbid that he choose a shampoo that's been photographed with doggie biscuits!

Fortunately he seemed VERY interested in the Sage Cedarwood & Sweetgrass bar from PLH! For him a lot of it is in how a product is presented... and he saw "dandruff" for that one & was immediately hooked. I'd have just given up & kept him using liquid shampoo, but we're planning two road trips this year and between the travelling and his absolute horror of shampoo dripping in his eyes this just seemed too perfect for him.

Thank you all for your help :) With any luck we'll all weather the funky hair "thing" with minimal tantrums. My daughter has used Burt's Bees baby shampoo off & on since birth, and she's looking forward to trying a "big girl" bar as well.
love,
mom

Miss Murphy
April 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Mama, don't be mistaken though - you wouldn't want to get the suds from a poo bar in your eyes. Hurts way more than regular shampoo.

Just to give you a heads up.

homeschoolmama
April 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Oh it's not the suds he gets in his eyes, it's the actual shampoo! DH finally climbed into the shower with him (swim-trunks on both guys) to see what he was screaming about & watched him ceremoniously dump the shampoo onto his "bangs" and then scrub at his scalp while half of the 'poo dripped down into his eyes!

I've had him using the last of his sisters' baby bar up while I hunted for a shampoo bar for him. I have NO idea why it's so difficult for him to wash his own hair without a tantrum, but since this is the worst thing we've endured during his preteens (so far) I'm counting myself as blessed!
love,
mom

Calista
April 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Why do they shower in swim trunks? :confused:

homeschoolmama
April 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Oh, it's because my son is just beginning to feel a bit self-conscious about his body, and didn't want to shower nude with his dad. I'm fairly certain that it was because certain parts haven't developed quite yet, but being "mom" I left that part to the two men & stayed out of things.
love,
mom