PDA

View Full Version : Hair tangling in combs?

joyfulmom4
March 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
After reading stardustbreeze's horrible experience with the comb (so sorry to hear about that) and reading all the replies, I wondered if this experience is a lot more common than I imagined? And if so, maybe switching to a different combing/detangling tool might help?

The reason I ask is that the only time I ever had my hair tangle up like that was using a wide toothed comb, like the ones most people here seem to prefer. For years, I only used a plastic hair pick and never, ever, in all the years did it get tangled up. Not even a little. I think the shape of the picks with the handle opposite the prongs, prevents it from happening. I could be wrong, but honestly, when I first read the post, I was baffled that anyone could wind up w/ a comb so entangled as that. I didn't understand how it could happen. Then I read the replies and it seems like it's something that happens easily and often to others with long hair. I had to really stretch my memory before I recalled that I had gotten an ordinary wide-toothed comb stuck before.

I know picks have a bad reputation for very curly, afro hair, despite being typically called "afro picks". I've read that they can cause a lot of breakage for very curly hair. But they're great for my hair. I can quickly comb through and detangle my hair in a minute or two, with hardly any shedding. I find that the angle of the handle makes it far easier to comb out tangles. And the length of the tines means I can comb through all layers easily, even though my hair is thick and wavy. Even really big wide-toothed combs never worked well for me. It took so much longer to detangle hair and caused more shedding and breakage. Also, I never found it comfortble to comb from that angle (holding the side of a typical comb or a long handle going sideways off the end). The pick design just feels better in my hand. To comb out, I start at the ends and comb through a few inches at a time, detangling and gradually moving upward towards the roots until I can run the pick through the length easily. For my hair, it's even safer than finger combing b/c when I finger comb, my hair gets clingy to my skin and more gets pulled out.

I've tried all the assorted wood combs and brushes, horn combs, various seamless plastic comb designs, finger combing, etc. I always go back to my plastic picks.

Maybe I'm just the odd one out, but I figured I'd mention it since I felt so bad for stardustbreeze having to go through that awful experience. Perhaps some others might have better luck with this design? I know someone posted a link for a site that sells very high-quality seamless picks if you're particular. I confess though, I have always used the ones from Sally's and they seem fine. If I ever notice a rough spot on a hair tool, I just sand it down w/ fine sandpaper. I do only buy the ones with the dipped tips though. The others are too pointy and hurt. Ditto for metal. Can't use metal.

Hope that helps someone. :)

PS. Usually I buy the largest one they sell at Sally's: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Mebco-Double-Dip-Pik/SBS-183705,default,pd.html

Silver & Gold
March 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I think you may be onto something with the handle at the end making it easier to wind the hair around the comb and tangle. I use these from Sallys (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cricket-Ultra-Clean/SBS-354503,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair10). I like the smaller one with the wider teeth for combing conditioner through my hair in the shower and detangling in the bath/shower. And I use the larger one outside of the shower for combing through my wet hair.
I also like to use the Tangle Teezer (http://www.tangleteezer.com/)on my dry hair to detangle (say in the morning) and I have some horn combs I use for scritching to stimulate my scalp.
I do like these combs from Sally's (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Narrow-Tooth-Tail-Silkomb/SBS-354604,default,pd.html) for sectioning my hair to roll or braid it. They are seamless so I don't have to worry about damaging my hair when I use them.

joyfulmom4
March 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I think you may be onto something with the handle at the end making it easier to wind the hair around the comb and tangle. I use these from Sallys (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cricket-Ultra-Clean/SBS-354503,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair10). I like the smaller one with the wider teeth for combing conditioner through my hair in the shower and detangling in the bath/shower. And I use the larger one outside of the shower for combing through my wet hair.
I also like to use the Tangle Teezer (http://www.tangleteezer.com/)on my dry hair to detangle (say in the morning) and I have some horn combs I use for scritching to stimulate my scalp.
I do like these combs from Sally's (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Narrow-Tooth-Tail-Silkomb/SBS-354604,default,pd.html) for sectioning my hair to roll or braid it. They are seamless so I don't have to worry about damaging my hair when I use them.

Yes, I do think maybe the handle position might decrease the risk of tangles. I found a website offering the most gorgeous hand-carved exotic wood hair picks. They were incredible. They were also $75, so not quite in my current budget. I would love to have one though. The ones pictured on the site had teeth a little closer than I would prefer, but if they're hand-making them, I imagine they'll do wider teeth if you wish. I may have to go find that site and bookmark it for sometime in the future when I can justify such a present to myself. ;)

spidermom
March 29th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I didn't read the whole thread because I just can't relate to getting a comb stuck so firmly in the hair. I've used all kinds and never had a similar problem. However, if we were talking about one of those round brushes ... HORRORS!

Omens
March 29th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I think with any comb or brush, it's not always the tool, but the hair you are using it in. Some hair can easily be worked through with one of those wide-tooth combs. And I know people here fingercomb exclusively, which might work for some hair types.

But me...If I don't comb it out throughly with a good brush, within a few days I will literally have mats in my hair. I had so much trouble when I was young because I was lazy and wouldn't brush my hair out all the way. I would constantly have to either cut sections out or sit there for a good thirty minutes and work it out if the knot wasn't too bad. So when people say they use picks and things like that, it amazes me. If I just used a pick I would have a head full of knots! :(

I think this may have to do with the fact that my hair is rather coarse in texture, but I'm not certain.

JamieLeigh
March 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I didn't read the whole thread because I just can't relate to getting a comb stuck so firmly in the hair. I've used all kinds and never had a similar problem. However, if we were talking about one of those round brushes ... HORRORS!

If you're talking about a barrel brush....*shudders* I know, sister, I know. I've never had a comb to get stuck in my hair before, however.

joyful373
March 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM
OOOOH... round brushes are awful! I always got them stuck in my hair. ALWAYS. My favorite comb is from sally's and is the rat tail bone detangling comb. For some reason my hair likes it much better than wide tooth combs. My second choice would be a small pick (like joyfulmom4 said)- however, being a fine haired person, once I found this bone comb I fell in love and have never gone back! :)

AnneAdeline
March 30th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I actually use a plastic pick, too. It's good to hear that someone else does. (DBF makes fun of me for using an "afro comb"--"It's a pick!" I say) I've never had them get caught in my hair.

One time a long time ago I got a comb stuck in my hair. It was horrible. *shudder* Surprisingly, I've never got a round brush caught in my hair.

heidihug
March 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I have a wide-toothed pick (five teeth, maybe) that I use occasionally. It works great on almost-dry hair, when I just want to whip it up into a quick bun. Other than that I use a Denman vented no-seam brush about 4 times a week on dry hair.

People talk about hearing the "snicks" of hairs breaking when they brush? I only hear that noise when I use a comb - no matter the material, no matter number of teeth. And I vividly remember getting combs caught a couple of times in my hair when I was a foolish teenager with horribly permed '80's hair. Oh, and I have worse memories of those round brushes! :(

HairColoredHair
March 30th, 2009, 12:26 PM
The only thing I've managed to get stuck in my hair has been a round brush (EEK).

None of my combs have handles and I guess the way I comb isn't conducive to tangling? Eh, that having been said, you all can expect an "OMG my comb is stuck in my hair" from me, because that's how the fates work. :lol: