PDA

View Full Version : Straight and Silky Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Phalaenopsis
March 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I was browsing and I noticed different kind of threads: curly, blondes, ...

But do we have a straight hair thread? I was looking for this since I discovered I am really a 1a.

Dorothy
March 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I don't believe we do but I'd like one. My hair is stick straight, and straight hair has benefits and liabilities. I find it more difficult to bun, for example, at BSL, which I've always been. It just slips out, unless very firmly pinned, unlike my partner's hair, very curly, that can simply be tied in a knot, sort of, and stay up all by itself. Your circlet braid is so beautiful, it looks very precise, I don't think I could do it to myself.

laybackspin1993
March 28th, 2009, 10:29 AM
yeh, i think we should have a straight hair thread too! I've not seen one on here!

Tornerose
March 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I agrre.. straight hair-thread is a good idea. Then I don't have to be green with envy every time i see a curly person

ravenreed
March 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I have straight hair, with just a bit of a wave with the right cut. I just found out this week that I have two half sisters, both of which have crazy curly hair. When I was complaining to them about how much I wished that I had their curls, they both told me they would rather have my straight hair. So, there ya go!

Honey39
March 28th, 2009, 12:27 PM
If you guys have a straight hair thread, I will have to come and hang out just to admire your hair!!!

Phalaenopsis
March 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have a good title?
Because I want to start one, but I'm not that skilled with the English language :)

embee
March 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Well, I guess we have it now, right? This is it? :)

1a here. straight, fine, thin, slick. Stringy too, if I leave it down. Needs combing or brushing every few minutes or it turns into what my mom called "rat tails". ugh.

Fairytale ends are my friend... with them I can wrap my hair up and the ends will tuck in rather nicely. Blunt cut doesn't work for me, the hair does like paint-brush-bristles, the ends stick out and won't tuck.

enfys
March 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM
When it's properly long my hair is straight. As it is there is a bit of a wave sometimes, mostly due to layers.

But look how quickly we can gain length! No curls to eat it up.

Phalaenopsis
March 28th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Okay, if this is the straight hair thread, we have to change to title :p If anyone has ideas, shoot.

I think I'm a 1a, this is my hair, freshly washed, uncombed:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/ongekamd-1.jpg

I have more problems with having fine strands of hair, than having straight hair. I'm learning to accept that it won't curl,whatever I try :p

stardustbreeze
March 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hi!
I'm somewhere between straight/wavy, but it's certainly more straight than wavy.:p
Is it just me, or is getting BSL length layered hair into a good looking cinnabun mission impossible? I always end up with just a funky looking bun.

MemSahib
March 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Checking in. See siggy below for my qualifications.

What I would like to see are some styles for 1aF hair. I am blessed with medium thickness but it's still so slippery that I have needed an extra year's growth than other hairtypes need to do similar styles. Even now, at classic, my hair laughs at these lovely no-tool-to-hold-it-up dos many of the less-fine types can achieve. "What? You're trying to put me up with no toys at all? Watch this!" — and it slides right out and down my back. (My husband, who has very curly and medium coarseness hair, once watched me try to tie my hair into a knot. He was cringing while I laughed at him. Of course, my hair promptly slid right out.)

Phalaenopsis
March 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM
60threet forks and Ketylo's are the only good forks and sticks that can keep my slippery hair up, and still, I have to insert the stick or fork in the right way or sometimes it will slide out. But I got the hang of it and I think those forks are the best for my slippery hair.

Flexi's are great too when you use the right size, but I think you can't avoid the 'slip-factor' of straight hair with any kind of toy :?

WritingPrincess
March 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hi!
I'm somewhere between straight/wavy, but it's certainly more straight than wavy.:p
You just described my hair! I have straight hair, with a hint of wave on the length and then a wave at the end. It's really hard to describe.

This is a great idea for a thread!

Dreamernz
March 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM
What I think is great about our hair is how volatile it is. We can have sleek, straight hair that people envy with simply a hair brush, we can have soft s-waves or defined ringlets with just wet hair, bobby pins and rags. I guess cos my hair is not so fine or thin I can more easily see these positives but we all have them!!! Straight hair is shinier and allows us to have any hair we want without heat!!!! Plus updos are a bit easier to achieve, (when not too slippery lol). As much as I often feel painfully envious of wavies and curlies, it is a lot harder for them to manipulate the kind of hair they have. We all have beautiful hair so let's rejoice and focus on the positives not the negatives :D:D:D:D We get the best of all worlds!;) :D

DragonLady
March 28th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Phalaenopsis, you're almost my hair twin. Mine is the same color, though I'm a ii instead of a iii. It's straight as a die, but mine isn't so slippery.

I used to curl mine into a ginormous mane with a curling iron and lots of teasing, and that's what I miss most now. Learning to like it "just hanging there" has taken me years. But seeing the back of your head, I realize a little more what other people must see, and that's encouraging. :)

eresh
March 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Another 1a here :)
But it's too long to dry it comfortably so I (amost) always have braidwaves.

I agree about the fairytale ends, since I had my first EVER blunt trim, the ends are more difficult to tuck into buns.
But the fairytales will come back to me I hope :)

It's also very slippery, clips or elastics etc just slide out.
That's why I have to mist it before I make an updo, that way it has more grip.

1a with two pontytails...somewhere along the line it stopped looking cute :D
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1348/staarten2fm0.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=staarten2fm0.jpg)

Phalaenopsis
March 28th, 2009, 03:58 PM
@Eresh, omg, I even didn't notice that you're a 1a :o How cool though! :) Very pretty hair!

@dragonlady: ooh, hairtwins, I like that :) I'm going to check out your profile. Indigo girl also has the changing haircolour thing like me, it's something typical for dark blondes maybe?

And it's so fun to see so many straighties together. I always thought we were some kind of underrepresented species or something :p

Cloverleaf
March 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I'd like to join too! I find it's easier to work with my hair when it's a little damp - for braids, etc. And when bunning, I always have to make that severe pulled back, tight look to keep everything in place. But wearing it down is appealing - and easy!

rags
March 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm also a straighty - though maybe not a 1a - still trying to figure that one out. But definetely straight!
I have heard of misting to help buns and such hold - what does everyone mist with? Straight water, or leave in?

ETA: Cause my hair's so slippery, I need all the help I can get

eresh
March 28th, 2009, 04:55 PM
@Pha, LOL that's because I always have braidwaves :D

I mist with water and a few drops of (most of the time) Jasmin EO added for scent.
If I want to do something extra for my hair I add a few drops of jojobaoil too.
My spraybottle is rather large, so the mix lasts all week.

dearladydisdain
March 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Count me in as a fellow straight hair :) My hair was able to do great updos at classic with velcro ends but it's now bsl with blunt ends and I can't do ANYTHING. Sigh. I also have a big problem with my hair being so fine and floaty.

naomimcc
March 28th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Well, I guess we have it now, right? This is it? :)

1a here. straight, fine, thin, slick. Stringy too, if I leave it down. Needs combing or brushing every few minutes or it turns into what my mom called "rat tails". ugh.

same here.

sissadawn
March 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Count me in. I once had a friend with curly hair who delighted in tying my hair in knots because she couldn't believe how they just fell out. I have to mist my hair to put it up too, it took me a week to figure out that bunning it while dry was why it kept spitting my bobby pins back out at me.:rolleyes:

babbleball
March 28th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Ooh! Me too me too! My curly and wavy haired friends cringe when they see me grab a plain rubber band and put my hair up into a ponytail with it. What's funny is the disbelief on their faces when minutes later they see the rubber band start to slide down the pony and out o fmy hair.

Juneii
March 28th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I'm beginning to think my hair is 1a too since my shortest layer is growing past my shoulder and no longer bends awkwardly :]

Laurenji
March 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I love my straight hair when it's freshly brushed and just hangs so straight and sleek--all my curly- and wavy-haired friends are so jealous that I never have to use a straightener. The only problem is, if I leave it down for very long, it gets like embee said and goes all ratty. Have any of you found ways to combat this so it doesn't need brushing every few minutes?

rose_in_bloom
March 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Ooh this is a good idea for a thread. I'm a straight hair! I'm somewhere in between 1a and 1b. I also have to brush mine every half hour or it gets super tangled and stringy.

Although I would prefer being wavy, I love the versatility of straight hair. And my hair takes curl and wave very easily, so my braid waves usually turn out great.

GlennaGirl
March 29th, 2009, 01:10 AM
1a when I CO, 1b when I shampoo wash. My hair is very fine. I do like my hair. I like its softness. :)

ETA: My siggie pic has bun waves.

lizzyjo
March 29th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Yay for straight hair!

That is all I have to say.

Helen Baq
March 29th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Me too! My hair won't even hold a perm! I can get some fantastic Janeway like buns using hairpins, but with hairsticks my hair has to be sleeked back. I haven't tried forks. I've always just figured they'd fall out like combs, barrettes, band, etc. do, but seeing some of the photos on here, I think I'll give them a try.

Those of you who have trouble making buns might try hairpins. I've used them since I was little.

Midnightluna
March 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I'm happy to finally see a straight hair thread. It's great to see lots of 1a/1b people in the same thread.:D

shayly-fyanna
March 29th, 2009, 04:14 AM
My hair has a personality problem, some days it can be stick straight and others i've got a nice slight wave that gives it some body and volume. so never know what i'll be from day to day. but as far as i can tell i'm a 1b/1c but what do i know? i'm still straight haired and dream of shirley temple ringlets. but never gonna happen. so loving my hair and joining the thread.

Milui Elenath
March 29th, 2009, 07:36 AM
1a here. I don't think I would cope with curly hair even though I love it on others. I just love to comb way too much. I laughed reading about the rubber band and buns slipping. I thought it was just me!:) Somedays my hair has been in 4 different bun styles throughout the day. I have a physical job and it just won't stay. Finally I realised its not a sin to use two hairsticks.

Finoriel
March 29th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Checking in too.
Hi there fellow stick hair. :beercheer:

How cool :D there are more of us here than I noticed.

eresh
March 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM
60th street forks work good on my hair.
Other buns might need some extra pins.
I find amish pins work better than bobbypins, but still I have to keep pushing them back in during the day for they will try to travel outwards ;)

Samitra
March 29th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I'm a 1a/1b. If I let it dry untouched it seems to have a wave or two. But if I comb it, wet or dry, it goes all straight again.
My hair is fine, slippery, soft and very layered, so there is not one updo that will stay a whole day (except for a ponytail). Not even braids stay tidy for more than an hour or two, but I guess it's because of the layers...

I like my straight hair, and that is a new sensation for me. I've always wanted it to have more "volume" and I longed for curls. I did have two natural spiral curls framing my face when I was 12-13 years old. They disappeared, and now it's stick straight, but looks very nice now that I've started to take care of it!

hairymonster
March 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
A straighty here. I have stubbornly straight hair that falls limp no matter what I do to it. Sometimes I have volume envy on the curlies, but at the end of the day I still prefer my hair straight :)

Hedera
March 29th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Another straighty checking in! :cool:

I do have occasional curl-envy, but right now I'm glad that my straight hair makes it look like it grows fast; no length gets 'eaten up' by curls, it all goes straight down! ;)

Helen Baq
March 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I find amish pins work better than bobbypins, but still I have to keep pushing them back in during the day for they will try to travel outwards ;)

I've never been able to get those kind of hairpins to work, though my gramma used them. I have the outward traveling problem with bobby pins, too. I have to ease them back in a few times a day. :p

spidermom
March 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I'm envious. I'd rather have straight hair but don't, although by the 3rd day after washing it looks pretty straight from being bunned.

rags
March 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I can use sticks (though a lot of times I need two!) or 60th street forks. I cannot use any kind of plastic stick, like from Claire's. They slide right out. So do some of the smoother Dymondwoods, so I've started buying more natural woods.

I thought I was the only one whose ponytail band could slide right out of their hair! At one point, before I found LHC, I was using really coney products and didn't put my hair up for years - because it wouldn't stay. (I didn't know to clarify - I gained a LOT of volume when I found LHC :o) Even bobby pins would come out within an hour. Amish pins won't work for me either.

smilinjenn71
March 29th, 2009, 12:53 PM
:waving:Another straight-y checking in! I'm still a shortie too though.:p

Anyway, I think it will be helpful for straight haired girls to get input from others about what works and what doesn't. :rolleyes:

AnneAdeline
March 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hello fellow straighties!
I'm a 1b with the odd wave here and there. Seeing the gorgeous straight hair around LHC has been helping me learn to love mine. :flower:

ATrixie
March 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Great thread!! :)

Am looking to learn lots from the wisdom of others too!!

My hair is very stubborn & usually likes to have its own way too! (like me, probably!! ;))
For buns, I found it easiest to use 2 'crocodile style' plastic gizmos (don't look very fancy, but ahh well, okay for daily use at home or not-fancy occasions) on each side (now that I have more hair, before 1 bigger was okay too..)

a cloth/elastic band must be 'extra strong' (not sure how else to describe it!) for just a ponytail - the 'buy a dozen' ones usually came right out, except if exactly the appropriate length & tightly used.. they do work, & hold surprisingly well on a homemade variation of coil/bee bottom bun - stays quite well.. (if done right - each one is different though lol)
They work okay for braids too..

Am now learning to do buns with sticks and it ain't easy!! :) usually I prefer 2 to be safe too.. but haven't managed how to do them so they don't slip out & don't hurt my scalp! any tips?

need to learn to do something fancy with my hair until June! :) (that will have staying power & be comfortably wearable for at least 5 or 6 hours, ideally! - been invited to be a bridesmaid!) Any suggestions?

I agree seeing beautiful hair & gorgeous updos at LHC has been greatly inspiring!! :)

ratgirldjh
March 29th, 2009, 02:09 PM
my hair is pretty straight. when i was younger - it was stick straight!
what i've figured out over the years is that using SLS shampoos with or w/o conditioners make my hair even straighter! i have seen pictures of myself from long ago and my hair was stick straight. also henna made it way straighter. when i started using poo bars or soap about a year ago - suddenly i had waves! my hair is almost as long as some of my old pictures shows it and it looks like a totally different hair type! my mom and sisters keep asking me why my hair is wavy and don't believe me when i tell them i no longer use conditioner and use soap or poo bars - LOL both of them use S&C and have straight hair too!

i also use those stretchy headbands to make pony tails and also for holding twisted buns. they stay in my hair really well - and i can have them looser than elastics so they don't give me a headache.

az_sweetie01
March 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Another straight-y here to join the fun!

Qualifying pics can be found in my albums :)

I also was one whose hair would never hold a perm and simply refuses to hold curl of any sort for more than a few hours at the most. I can identify with the need to brush or comb a few times a day or risk looking a little unkempt and stringy, lol!

Oh, and as for a name...hmm...
Straight and Silky Support...
Embracing the Straight and Narrow...
Straight Stranded....
Behind the Silken Veil...

Well, that's all I've got, heh heh, maybe they'll get someone else's creative juices flowing :)

vindo
March 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
1a here.

~My hair does not hold bunwaves well, in the end the best I can do is look like a 1c after intense damp bunning, curls last for 30mins. or so. Dry buns..well leave me a 1a if its only for a day.
~My hair is too slippery for most updos that are held with a stick or something similar, especially since the virgin hair grew down. I know slippery hair is common among 1's but keep in mind that it is actually the hairs "friction" classifier.
~My hair is the Queen of stringiness, I think noones hair can get stringier than mine <_<.
~It does "hang" pretty good even though it is not heavy and it compresses so much, wet, oily dry all the same.
~My hair is stubborn..even though you would never think that since its babysoft. But yeah...some updos that involve twisting are realy challenging.

How did I know I was a 1a for sure?

Well, even short and with layers it does not bend, or wave the slightest bit. Cutting layers into my hair is pointless because they never show, it just looks like less hair.
And it obviously does not have the body wave, nor any flip to the ends.
I had a flip once and changed to 1a/b until I noticed it was simply damage combined with sitting on my hair or the ends resting on my butt at 39" when it was drying..:p
I can tell my ends are damaged when they get rubbed or roughed up in some way and stay kinky looking ._.

Volume, what is that? I hair is arranged stick straight (+slippery, +compresses) ||||| there is no chance for volume :lol:

Btw, whose hair gets misunderstood hairtypewise?

People tend to think my hair is very thin and fine..^^ that is why I was always told to keep it short.
Quote: "Your babyfine hair will break off past shoulder and because it is so thin you will end up having 3 hairs at BSL" (BSL was my first goal in 2003)

patience
March 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
One more straighty checking in. :)

I didn't realize there were so many of us.

eresh
March 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Yes I get that too, people saying oooh but your hair is so thin!
You should cut it!
Why is it that people think stickstraight hair = thin :rolleyes:

And even if it were thin, so what, it can still be very beautiful long!

Phalaenopsis
March 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Another straight-y here to join the fun!

Qualifying pics can be found in my albums :)

I also was one whose hair would never hold a perm and simply refuses to hold curl of any sort for more than a few hours at the most. I can identify with the need to brush or comb a few times a day or risk looking a little unkempt and stringy, lol!

Oh, and as for a name...hmm...
Straight and Silky Support...
Embracing the Straight and Narrow...
Straight Stranded....
Behind the Silken Veil...

Well, that's all I've got, heh heh, maybe they'll get someone else's creative juices flowing :)

I like straight and silky support, it's nice and makes it very clear what the thread is about.

And I also got that comment, even when I still was a real thickie! Just because it lays so flat against my head...
Volume can deceive the eyes, that's for sure

az_sweetie01
March 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I like straight and silky support, it's nice and makes it very clear what the thread is about.

And I also got that comment, even when I still was a real thickie! Just because it lays so flat against my head...
Volume can deceive the eyes, that's for sure
Agreed! :)

CindyLea1
March 29th, 2009, 06:01 PM
O O O O O !!! Can I join in the fun?? I'm mostly straight with a bit of wave in the bottom fairy tail ends.

I agree with the slickness of straight hairs. Even a scrunchie stays for about 10 minutes! GAHHHHHHHH!

hairymonster
March 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Cutting layers into my hair is pointless because they never show, it just looks like less hair.

Sigh. That's one of the major reasons why I've held back from layering my hair for so long. I suspected the same thing would happen to me too :(

justgreen
March 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I'm a straight-y. I have little waves UNDER my top panel, you can see them in my siggy. Other than that, my hair dries straight. I have no problems with any hairtoys. I'm the master of the Flexi-8, see my blog (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=40894)pic.

Darian Moone
March 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Another straight-haired one here. Except some of the greys/whites that are coming in are a bit wiry.

EdG
March 29th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Another straight-hair here.

I'm glad we have our own thread. :)
Ed

MemSahib
March 29th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I don't think I realized there are so many of us either, although I kind of stay on the lookout for 1a/1b types as I read threads.

Yes, the compressibility of our hair does amaze people. After I exercise at Curves I nearly always comb out my hair and put it back up. So many are astonished at how long it is and remark that it doesn't look like "that much hair" when I have it up. I tell them that fine straight hair compresses to nothing. But it can fool even me. Years ago my sis-in-law and I were comparing the feel of our hair. Hers is a wavy/curly type and always poufs away from her head, which lead both of us to believe she has more hair than I do. But when we picked up a handful of hers and a handful of mine, it became obvious that I have tons more hair than she does, it just lies flat and sleek. (She can weigh more than I do and look skinnier, too, but that's another story!)

Funny how that all works out.

Finoriel
March 30th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Surprisingly I more got the "Wow you hair is so thick and shiny" comments, often in combination with "Which straightener do you use?" and "What about backcombing for more volume." *Eek!* No thanks, I like my straight, unmessy and not poofy hair :D. Iīm not sure if there has ever been anyone who told me, my hair would look thin. :ponder: I guess not.
Possibly thatīs because my hair did not form the typical strings until about tailbone and then I practically stopped wearing it down. So no one ever getīs to see it completely down in itīs stringy glory brushing my fingertips :lol:. A low ponytail is the maximum of wearing it loose and the tip of it is still pretty compact.

Rhea
March 30th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Here I am ! It's great to see many of 1a/1b people in the same thread ! :cheese:

eadwine
March 30th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Is there room for a 1c person still?

I got the layered thing when I was a kid, it worked a LITTLE bit but it still looked like a goof cut.

ATrixie
March 30th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Of course there's room for all of us!! :)
Great to see so many people here! (I do secretly envy 1c or 2+ hair though! :))

I like 'straight and silky' too - would prefer 'straight & silky love' instead of 'support' lol :)

Basically we're learning to love our hair, despite its un-curliness and some tiny shortcomings.. (&it's muuch easier to love someone else's gorgeous straight & silky hair! :))

Or just 'Straight & silky' (although on some days my hair doesn't look that much like silk, lol!/

I'm really surprised to see a number of people with very gorgeous hair speak of 'stringy' hair.. Is this a few days unwashed hair or...?
I don't remember any stringyness in my hair from before I started experimenting with WO & NW & always thought WO or NW transition phase was the problem..?
It's interesting to read even people with other routines may encounter the stringyness..?

eadwine
March 30th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I think I understand what they mean with stringy, but I think we better call it clumping still. It just looks better on people with curls, that :)

Chrissy
March 30th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Hi!! I'll join in.

mellie
March 30th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Reporting in!! Here's an old pic, but I'm getting back to this length (after stupidly cutting in layers). I'm not STICK straight, but after an amla treatment (below), I sure seem to be!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=423&pictureid=18847

MsBubbles
March 30th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Yeah! Great thread idea! I'll hop on. Incorrigibly straight hair for me. And optional waves or curls won't work for longer than 30 mins, either. Slippery, flat and straight.

goodenough
March 30th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Oh--I feel so at home! I have hair 1a with some funky wavy strands woven in, and a kinky nape that just breaks off:) I forget what my profile says, but I'm at waist, and I'll be between bsl and waist after my haircut later this week. I get infrequent cuts, because a little taper helps with putting it up and looking softer. It's medium coarseness, and super thick. A beast, really. I'm going to return on my afternoon coffee break to read all of these posts-looking forward to it!

az_sweetie01
March 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM

I like 'straight and silky' too - would prefer 'straight & silky love' instead of 'support' lol :)

Basically we're learning to love our hair, despite its un-curliness and some tiny shortcomings.. (&it's muuch easier to love someone else's gorgeous straight & silky hair! :))

Or just 'Straight & silky' (although on some days my hair doesn't look that much like silk, lol!/

I'm really surprised to see a number of people with very gorgeous hair speak of 'stringy' hair.. Is this a few days unwashed hair or...?
I don't remember any stringyness in my hair from before I started experimenting with WO & NW & always thought WO or NW transition phase was the problem..?
It's interesting to read even people with other routines may encounter the stringyness..?
You know, that's a great idea! Initially I though it would be nice for the wording to be a little more empowering instead of implying that straight hair is a pain and needs "support"....if that makes any sense at all? I was hoping someone would jump in a find the words that I couldn't :)

At any rate, I'm happy that we have a helpful thread :)

Darian Moone
March 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM

I LOVE straight hair! This is not to say that I don't admire beautiful waves and curls, I do. But I can have them anytime I chose, right? And then I can just let it go straight and silky whenever I want as well. Plus we have the added advantage of not "losing" length to curls & such. It's easier to reach long hair goals since our hair is so straight.

Not dissing curlies here - just appreciating what we've got as straight hairs. :)

longinthehair
March 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Oooh..I'm here, cause that's what I've got..straight as a board..stick straight! It can be a challenge..seems of late to make a bun look as full as I'd like. The better condition one can get, the more compressed it is...so my buns are smaller lately.
Cd. be hitting that 53-yr. thinning stage..not sure about that.
Just hit upon a half price sale of "Urban Line" conditioner for volumizing "flat lifeless" hair - grabbed some. Hah.
I may have been doing too many vinegar rinses lately..having it too clarified..?
Also finally was able to pick up some vegetable glycerin - I think this has helped to get some silkiness back (have put some drops of it in misters I have) - that's a good thing.

burns_erin
March 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM
1A here. I tend to prefer blunt cut because on me I feel it does not look so stringy so easily. But then I have alot of hair. Right now it is layered because I am growing out a bob.

And I too am very glad of how fast length acrues without any curls to eat it up. On the other hand I hate how hard it is to keep it put up.

burns_erin
March 30th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I love my straight hair when it's freshly brushed and just hangs so straight and sleek--all my curly- and wavy-haired friends are so jealous that I never have to use a straightener. The only problem is, if I leave it down for very long, it gets like embee said and goes all ratty. Have any of you found ways to combat this so it doesn't need brushing every few minutes?

I use vegetable glycerin as a "serum" on damp hair and it helps some.

heidihug
March 30th, 2009, 11:38 AM
It's nice to see all my "straight" friends here! Hee.
Laurenji, I have not. I am resigned to the fact that I must keep my hair up 99% of the time if I want to have it long and healthy. My DH sees me with my hair down and that's about it.

I always damp bun, dry hair really tends to slip out, especially now that the majority of my hair is really healthy. Healthy hair seems to = slippery hair for me, like for lots of others.

Cones are my friend. I tried going cone-less for a bit after I discovered LHC, and, yeah, that was not a good experience. My hair was dry and staticky and crackly-feeling. Cone vs. cone-free preferences certainly varies for straight-hairs, though, I've noticed.

I had my hair in a Dianalya braid the other day, which is a a bit of a rare occurence, but it was casual Friday, so what the heck. My coworker said that she is still always shocked whenever I wear my hair "down" (which means braided and not in an up-do) because she never remembers that my hair really is so long. I am reminded occasionally that my updos are small in volume for how long my hair is.

vindo
March 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM
This helps with the stringy hair problem a bit:

-Keep it long, even and full, the strings can support each other better. Since it is longer only the bottom parts gets really stringy, the less layers the more the hair stays in one blob.

-Henna is your friend, less pieceyness without loosing shine.

-"Plan" wearing it down. I do a clarifying wash on a hair down day, no oils, less conditioner. But I make up on other days ;)

-Wear the right cloths. It looks half as bad with monotone clothing in a flattering color, for me those are medium light tones. White is too much of a contrast, black too little.
Cloths longer than your hair will also create the illusion of one even wall of hair ;)

eresh
March 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I'm loving this thread!!

Cones are my friend too, I tried going coneless but my hair became one tangly dry mess.
And I always mist heavily before making an updo too, otherwise it just slips loose after a few minutes and pins try to escape.

birthmarkie
March 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM
My hair is all straight, but I've noticed that I have been shedding a wavy/curly strand every once in a while. It's like my hair wants to change texture although I can't imagine it being possible for that to happen for 1a's? Also, there are certain strands that have a curl at the end. It's very strange!

My hair likes: oil, conditioner, gentle combing, paddle brushes (gr...I don't keep one around), hanging down.

Dorothy
March 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I am so validated, I am verklempt. I favor "beyond the silken veil" just for romance, but also "stick straight love" for trailer park ambiance.
Things that resonate with me:
Can't even make a PONY TAIL with my bsl! If I do I have to compromise the tendon structure of my thumbs wrapping the elastic until my hair is imprisoned.

Pins slip out! I've found Amish Pins, my new friends, work best, however I have a new technique, say this is my head O> that's the pin. the pin ends must stay equidistant from my scalp. I catch a little bun hair, PINS parallel to scalp, then catch scalp hair, then turn and push UP into the twisted hair, which holds them as well as possible. Still pushing them in at least once more per day, but also not ripping my hair out w/other pins. That's as good as it gets. Braids slip, buns slip.

My best casual bun, which is the only thing I've been doing for years before LHC, involves twisting, winding.....once around... then twisting and wrapping all end hair under the top circle, next to my head, hair stick then inside one top circle side, through middle hair w/ends, out inside opposite top circle side. it's sort of a gibraltar bun without holding the loop or stretching the loop, loop is formed first, inner hair wrapped next, stick holds. This holds in my hair whatever stick I'm using. I wish I had a better description, it doesn't hurt or damage. It's not Gorgeous, but it's protective. It's like using your outer bun hair ring AS IF it were a slide.

And may the Gods bless fairy tail ends! Their very rattiness, roughness, unevenness and asymetric length allows me to tuck, tuck, tuck them under my buns and pin the amish pins over them. If it all ends in a big blunt cut slippery LUMP - all is lost.

I run my fingers through my silky tresses in your honor, sisters.

babbleball
March 30th, 2009, 09:07 PM
My hair is all straight, but I've noticed that I have been shedding a wavy/curly strand every once in a while. It's like my hair wants to change texture although I can't imagine it being possible for that to happen for 1a's? Also, there are certain strands that have a curl at the end. It's very strange!

The same thing happens to me. I wouldn't call it a problem. I find it really interesting. The random crinkly strands fascinate me. I pluck (gasp!) the ones that are still attached to my head and marvel at them. Thank goodness my silvers are growing in smooth.

Samitra
March 31st, 2009, 12:54 AM
I am so validated, I am verklempt. I favor "beyond the silken veil" just for romance, but also "stick straight love" for trailer park ambiance.
Things that resonate with me:
Can't even make a PONY TAIL with my bsl! If I do I have to compromise the tendon structure of my thumbs wrapping the elastic until my hair is imprisoned.

I recognize that! When I braid my hair at night I must secure the braids firmly with elastics, and after doing that my fingers ache! I've tried to secure them more loosely, but the elastics slip out and my hair becomes a tangled mess in the morning.

It's strange that I have a hair that pushes away every hairtoy and breaks free from updos, but still tangles up and becomes a ratty mess I have to detangle...

winter_star
March 31st, 2009, 03:37 AM
Another 1b here!

It's great to hear from so many others with the same hair type and problems. My hair is usually really slippery, doesn't hold a hair tie for long and if I curl my hair, there are no signs of a single curl after about 1 hour.

birthmarkie
March 31st, 2009, 09:11 PM
The same thing happens to me. I wouldn't call it a problem. I find it really interesting. The random crinkly strands fascinate me. I pluck (gasp!) the ones that are still attached to my head and marvel at them. Thank goodness my silvers are growing in smooth.

It's not a problem for me either. I just notice when they shed. I pluck a hair every now and then but it always gives me the "fingernails on a chalkboard" feeling.

Yedda
April 1st, 2009, 12:53 AM
Can I join if I'm strait and not yet silky?:D

Phalaenopsis
April 1st, 2009, 02:40 AM
Another 1b here!

It's great to hear from so many others with the same hair type and problems. My hair is usually really slippery, doesn't hold a hair tie for long and if I curl my hair, there are no signs of a single curl after about 1 hour.

Same here and I hate that! Sometimes I just want some curls but after half an hour they're all gone... :(

I also find some curly strands, they're different in colour too. But I'm just a mix up :D

Sha-na-na
April 1st, 2009, 02:46 AM
"I am straight but not narrow" - one of my fav. quotes.

BTW, wht do people with curly hair always want straight hair and people with straight hair always want curly hair. My hair is so straight that it will not hold a perm...

Finoriel
April 1st, 2009, 04:10 AM
Thatīs a classic case of "greener grass on the other side of the fence" :wink:
Thankfully my mother (also 1a hair but much finer than mine) got an 80s perm with horrific results when I was little. That definitely cured me from wanting to change my natural hair structure.

Phalaenopsis
April 1st, 2009, 05:55 AM
One of my neighbours also has straight hair like me and she always asks for a perm, but the thing is, you can barely see it :shrug: So I don't get the point for ruining your hair if it hasn't any results

MemSahib
April 1st, 2009, 06:31 AM
I have the crinkley, curly hair, too, but it's silver. After I shampoo all the silvers which are not yet at the hemline curl out from my browns to a goofy halo over all the straight stuff. It's wild. Yet once I sleep on them a night (or even take a nap) all that silver halo settles right back into sleekness, although I can still find individual hairs which are nuts. The GM guy (no longer there, I think) in Dallas said that's normal. Grey/silver hair is just like that.

In my tools for hair are some Good Hair Days hairpins which work pretty well for me. I can usually get a bun up with only 4 of them. I also keep Amish pins for other styles. Some inches ago I bought a France Luxe French twist comb which worked only for a few inches. Ultimately I gave it to a friend who is able to use it all the time. Honestly, probably my hardest working tools are the scrunchies. I'm waiting for the day when the elastic bands inside the covers all pop apart at once. I also use clips a lot but wish I could find a different size. Seems like they are either too large or too small.

How well do I know "having to comb every hour (or less)" and "carefully constructed curls falling out almost immediately".

heidihug
April 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM
In my tools for hair are some Good Hair Days hairpins which work pretty well for me. I can usually get a bun up with only 4 of them.

Memsahib, I almost always am able to get my buns to stay put with one, maybe two Good Days pins. I love them!

I like my hair now, but I used to perm the life out of it. So glad I am past that.

maria_tasha
April 1st, 2009, 08:17 AM
hello, this is my first post and I am so happy that I have discovered LHC. I have verry straight hair, APL, with many layers(hating the hairdresser :p) and my goal is to reach BSL till fall. I hope that I won't get a crisis and cut it all out.

az_sweetie01
April 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
I don't even bother to curl anymore, DBF isn't a fan and I'm too lazy, lol! The only thing that ever really "worked" (when I say worked, I mean, the curls were waves by the end of the day) was rag curls and ONLY if I let my hair get almost fully dry first.
I am also a cone user. If I don't use them it's not a problem but, I like the sheen that I get and if my hair is going to be pin straight, then at least I have shine :)

maria_tasha
April 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM
Well I use curlers because I love curly hair. I use the ones made out of sponge like material, let then all night and then taking them out in the morning. The curls last all day. I think I would love my hair straight if there would't be any layers in it. az sweetie01 I wish I had your hair!

az_sweetie01
April 1st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Well I use curlers because I love curly hair. I use the ones made out of sponge like material, let then all night and then taking them out in the morning. The curls last all day. I think I would love my hair straight if there would't be any layers in it. az sweetie01 I wish I had your hair!
You've very sweet to say that, thank you :) I hope to be at that length again by the end of the year. *fingers crossed!*

Spike
April 2nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Not a stick straight straighty (and oh, how that bothered me as a 'tween!!! I used to comb my hair in the shower, and keep combing till it dried to get every last hint of wave OUT of my hair) but definitely in the "silky" range.

I tried ratting my hair for Hallowe'en one year (in my defense, I was still young enough to be trick or treating. The statute of limitations for hair abuse shold have expred by now) and even with serious backcombing, all the tangles fell out before the night was over.

Curlers? My hair laughs at their pitiable attempts to change its form. Perm rollers with water give me ringlets, but anything looser falls out by mid-afternoon. Braid waves fade more slowly, though. And my hair tolerates hairpins and elastics.

However, I get the whole "compresses down to an itty bitty wad" complaint. Down, my hair has volume due to its waviness and medium/coarse texture, but up? Where'd it all go? :wail:

Siiiiigh. I'll be back for support and a shoulder regarding the inky dinky baby bun dilemma. I'm hoping my grey comes in REALLY coarse and REALLY wiry just so my old lady hair can be BIG.

Samitra
April 2nd, 2009, 12:57 PM

I tried ratting my hair for Hallowe'en one year (in my defense, I was still young enough to be trick or treating. The statute of limitations for hair abuse shold have expred by now) and even with serious backcombing, all the tangles fell out before the night was over.

Haha! I've had similar experiences. I backcombed my hair every day when I was 14, at the end of the day the only thing that was left was little knots in the neglected and dry ends.
My sister wouldn't believe me, so I let her experiment with my hair: she spent twenty minutes backcombing my hair, putting in hairspray, mousse, salt spray and backcombing some more. Four hours later it was all gone. All that remained was a very greasy hair from all the products, and a few tangles in the dry top layers. :D

flapjack
April 3rd, 2009, 02:44 AM
Woooo, a straight and shiny/silky hair thread! Yays.

Like finoriel said, I have never received comments about thin/stringiness. I always get asked how I keep my hair so healthy while using a straightener... because people assume I must use a straightener, hahaha. I think emi's ideas are good. My hair has no taper, this is a huge help! Layers suck, don't get them. My hair is on the small end of thick and everyone thinks it's thicker than it is because my braid hardly tapers... forget the layers, truly. They're a bad idea. People will easily be fooled into thinking you have really thick hair (even if you don't), if your ends are more blunt. I know at some point, we will all end up with fairytale ends, if our hair gets long enough... which is fine. But blunt ends definitely create an illusion of thick hair.

I've seen more straight-haired people in this thread than I've ever known in real life in yeeeeeeeeears. Super straight hair is very rare, I think.

The slipping thing is so true. There are tricks, though. Certain angles of pins and hairsticks help me out a lot. I've had wood hairsticks just slide right out of my hair and my buns have tumbled out in ballet class a million times because my hair is so soft. Upsides and downsides. Huge upside- it feels amazing. Nothing feels quite like silky, smooth hair on your skin.

I love straight hair. How shiny, soft and manageable it is. It's very transparent in the sense that if you don't care for it well, it shows. But if you care for it well, it looks AMAZING and there's nothing else like it.

For some odd reason, my hair keeps braid waves and rag curls, etc. extremely well. I don't use heat at all. But I truly like my hair best when it's... what it is. A shiny sheet coming out of my head. That's my fave.

naturalme
April 3rd, 2009, 03:45 AM
Hello all! Delurking to say "this is my thread!" Thanks so much for posting. I share so many woes (when my hair is long enough) - slipping buns, ratty ends.... ugh. But I'll persevere! I look forward to learning more from you all.

naturalme
April 3rd, 2009, 03:49 AM
However, I get the whole "compresses down to an itty bitty wad" complaint. Down, my hair has volume due to its waviness and medium/coarse texture, but up? Where'd it all go? :wail:

Siiiiigh. I'll be back for support and a shoulder regarding the inky dinky baby bun dilemma. I'm hoping my grey comes in REALLY coarse and REALLY wiry just so my old lady hair can be BIG.

Spike, I am SO with you! Along with being a crabby old lady who says what she thinks (I've been too nice for too long!) I want nice coarse grey hair. One of my grandmothers had beautiful snow-white hair that looked great - but I think she was the origins of my fine, silky hair! :p Thanks, grandma!

smilinjenn71
April 3rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Hello all! Delurking to say "this is my thread!" Thanks so much for posting. I share so many woes (when my hair is long enough) - slipping buns, ratty ends.... ugh. But I'll persevere! I look forward to learning more from you all.
Welcome aboard (and to LHC) NATURALME!!:flower:

MsBubbles
April 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
I've seen more straight-haired people in this thread than I've ever known in real life in yeeeeeeeeears. Super straight hair is very rare, I think. ]

Probably depends where you live. From my observations living in Northern Europe (UK, Germany, France, and visiting Belgium, the Netherlands or having friends from Scandinavia), straight, fine dark-blonde/light brown hair was very prevalent. Where I live now in the Southeastern US, medium to coarse and wavy hair is far more prevalent and everybody wants to kill their lovely waves into straightness. My hair was boringly normal in the UK when I lived there (1967-1990), but it's somewhat more rare where I live now.

Along with being a crabby old lady who says what she thinks (I've been too nice for too long!) I want nice coarse grey hair.

Ditto that. It took me 40 years to enjoy voicing my opinion, now I'm unstoppable :).

Phalaenopsis
April 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
]

Probably depends where you live. From my observations living in Northern Europe (UK, Germany, France, and visiting Belgium, the Netherlands or having friends from Scandinavia), straight, fine dark-blonde/light brown hair was very prevalent. Where I live now in the Southeastern US, medium to coarse and wavy hair is far more prevalent and everybody wants to kill their lovely waves into straightness. My hair was boringly normal in the UK when I lived there (1967-1990), but it's somewhat more rare where I live now.

Ditto that. It took me 40 years to enjoy voicing my opinion, now I'm unstoppable :).

That's strange, I live in Belgium and I have the what you call typical hair. I haven't seen a lot of people with my haircolour and straightness. I always felt very out of place with my hair actually. :o

MsBubbles
April 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
That's strange, I live in Belgium and I have the what you call typical hair. I haven't seen a lot of people with my haircolour and straightness. I always felt very out of place with my hair actually. :o

I guess we all 'see' what we're gonna see depending on how we feel, or something. Like for me, I felt very boring and plain, hairwise, and so was always on the lookout for more fun-looking hair on other people. It felt like all I ever saw there was people with hair like mine. :o

It's always possible that I'm basing my observations on trends that are outdated, since it's been 19 yrs since I lived in Europe. Maybe there are more people from other races/countries/continents there than there used to be. Whatever. Not trying to upset anybody or start a war here on my beloved straight hair thread.

Phalaenopsis
April 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
You didn't upset me :flower:
I just thought it was interesting.

rags
April 3rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Not a stick straight straighty (and oh, how that bothered me as a 'tween!!! I used to comb my hair in the shower, and keep combing till it dried to get every last hint of wave OUT of my hair) but definitely in the "silky" range.

Curlers? My hair laughs at their pitiable attempts to change its form. Perm rollers with water give me ringlets, but anything looser falls out by mid-afternoon. Braid waves fade more slowly, though. And my hair tolerates hairpins and elastics.

Yes, I think we need a support thread just for the "baby buns"! My hair looks like I actually have some down, up it is......pitiful. And having had it quite long before, I am very aware that it only improves marginally.

My hair also won't backcomb - hey I was a teen in the early eighties! Or hold a perm, or curls from hot rollers. The only way it will curl is if I do it while it's wet and sleep on it (rag curlers or braids). Otherwise, forget it! :rolleyes:

Oh, and I had great hopes for my silvers (I'm getting more by the day). They started out so nice and wiry and CURLY! Then, as they grew, they settled right down into fine, sleek, straightness. Sigh........

MsBubbles
April 3rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
You didn't upset me :flower:
I just thought it was interesting.

Good! :) Sorry and thanks.

FWIW, I have a tendency to only 'see' a certain type of person in public, depending on my fears and hangups at the time :p.

goodenough
April 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
I am getting more individual kinky hairs all the time. I hadn't seen my hairdresser for a year, and she commented on them today. I decided to stay at waist length and have long layers razored in. She also angled the front and blended in my bangs again. I know most people on here hate razors, thinning, and layers, but for me, they are a godsend. My hair doesn't slip out of everything, and it holds a curl much better. I figured if I hated the layers I could go to BSL. But I'm glad I stayed at waist. I think with the artificial fairytale ends, I might even be able to stand a few more inches. My hip length is only two inches pst waist for some reason!?

I love this thread--I can't believe we didn't have one! My friends just don't understand straight hair.

Avalonna
April 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I think I'm a 1b - see my sig pic. My hair is pretty slippery, but not as slippery as some have described in this thread. I can't use my new Flexi-8 in a half-up or a ponytail because it slides down. Most barrettes slide out too. However, my hair will stay up in a bun for several hours with one Ketylo stick! I tell ya, those Ketylos can defy the laws of physics and gravity both! :thumbsup:

Laurenji
April 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
For some odd reason, my hair keeps braid waves and rag curls, etc. extremely well. I don't use heat at all.

That's how mine is, too. Any heated things I use--hot curlers, curling irons, etc--never made any sort of dent in my hair. When I was younger and in dance, we always had to have our hair in pouffy, super-curly ponytails for performances. The only way I could do it was to leave it in sponge curlers all night with tons of gel, then take it out as close to performance time as possible. It would all be gone less than an hour later. But braidwaves last forever. I've never tried rag curls, but I'm thinking they would probably last like braidwaves do.

flapjack
April 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Yeah, we have the same hair issue there, hahaha. Gel and hairspray don't hold curls or waves for me, they either stay on their own or they don't. If I pin/braid my hair when dry into curls or waves, it stays until I wash it again. It's so strange!

Yeah, I'm sure it depends on location. I've grown up all over southern California and it's always been extremely rare. When I went to visit my grandma a couple times in Russia, nearly all the girls had naturally straight hair with a wide variety of colors.

Lize
April 4th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Yay I'm home! I didn't realise there were so many people with straight and slippery hair! My hair is super slippery. Even though big parts of it have been highlighted like four times! (Growing for virgin now..) Love this thread!

StarShine
April 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Wow, some gorgeous heads of hair here. What a great thread.

I have very straight and VERY slippery fine hair. And I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's also a bit on the thin side about 2.5 to 3 inches. What is with the compression? I can not wear a ponytail, I have to wind the tie around so much that is starts to pull at the scalp, but it still slides down. Buns slip down and are uncomfortable as well.

This winter I cut my hair from Tailbone to APL because I just couldn't wear it up all the time. I'd been doing simple buns held with a ficcare for a bit over a year. It pulled at my scalp so much it was causing major breakage.

I've been liking my hair more and more lately. I wear it down almost all the time now, so I no longer suffer from the "why have long hair when all I get is this puny bun" problem.

After I cut my hair, I went through a bit of a always feeling blue phase about my hair. (I started a very dismal thread here about my self worth and hair that I just stopped checking in on because of the negative energy(my own, of course)) I started waving and curling my hair all the time until I actually missed having straight hair. After all the styling I realized that straight hair just suits my facial features FAR better than other textures. So I think my dark period is over, and I'm really enjoying my hair lately.

I do have thickness envy but mainly because of that darn compression! My hair really isn't that thin, but lacks the volume other hair types. But hey, I never frizz out.

I've been developing a hair action plan, but it defies a lot of conventional wisdom here and uses heat, alcohol, etc. But I've been having great results and no damage, if anything a lot less damage then when I was bunning daily. I'll be checking in with more techniques I try on this thread in the future.

I'll end this novel of a post with a solution I've found to the teasing problem I can't back comb either and I would love to have more volume in the back, as I have a flat as a board head. So I use a mini crimper on just the roots in the back, leaving the top a and a perimeter around the side and bottom of uncrimped roots so you don't see the crimps. Great volume that lasts for a few days AND I can wear a ponytail and buns without pulling. I do it about once a week, though I skip some weeks because ya know, time just flies. It's been working well, but YMMV. Since my hair grown like a weed, at least a inch a month, the hair is probably only crimped 6 times total before it is no longer "the roots." So if you're hair doesn't grow really fast like mine the damage would probably be worse. Plus, I only intend to grow to hip, because once you hit tailbone and start sitting on your hair, you're in updo often mode.

Thanks for reading, or heck even skimming. And thanks for this thread!

Morticia
April 4th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I have 1Ciii tailbone length hair. And, it all compresses into a bun that I can completely cover up with one hand. :( And, I have to bun it so tightly that it ends up always looking like a smushed up wad. If I try anything loose or that doesn't involve twisting, it falls out in a couple of seconds.

The most trusty hairtoy I have is a Blondiesturn curved 5-prong bloodwood fork. I love it, and would order another one if Blondiesturn was still in business.

Mabel Grey
April 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM
YEA! what a great thread.

I have lived with "frog fuzz" for so long and had no one to discuss it with. I come from a family of course and wavey haired woman who swear I should have short hair cause it is so thin. But I have 8 million 'cow-licks' and well short requires too much time.

My hair can stay in a bun for quite sometime, with nothing to hold it, but forget a ponytail. It spends most days in a french braid and then when undone, it is a straight as it was when fresh washed. No perms, no curls, no color. I am afraid to add anything to it for fear of "burning" it.
I am finally getting some diameter to it. It was quite thin for a long time. I did trims once every few years and then cut a foot off 2 years ago and another 4" this winter. Gonna try some new things this time to get less breakage.

Thank you for the tread.
BTW my thin hair is due to severe iron-anemia.

Have a wonderful day.

MadHatter
April 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Here's another straightie. I like how manageable my straight hair is - it's easy to detangle, it dries relatively fast, I don't have to worry about curl pattern, or anything like that.
Although I think wavy hair would look prettier on me. Oh well. My hair seems to be the envy of some wavies and curlies. But I envy theirs, too, lol.

Dorothy
April 7th, 2009, 09:55 PM
One bun that works ok on my hair is the chinese bun - I do have to wrap that initial pony tail wrapper really tight. I have a chinese hair ornament (see my album) that is sort of like two leaves coming up and out from a low center. Sort of like the first part of that Miao hair thing. I put the hair ornament (or stick or antler) between two bands on one side of the pony tail holder, through the hair in the pony, and out between two bands on the other side. Then, by hanging onto everything tightly, I'm able to do the wrap, and then quickly secure it with 8 or so Amish pins. I think it's probably a little damaging to my hair due to all the hardware.

Another one that works is the "orchid bun". I make that by itself with lots of Amish pins, then put a hair stick or ornament in for added security. Sometimes it's hard to get the stick in, I'm fighting with the Amish pins. And the Amish pins do have to be pushed back in.

The hair ornament that stays in best is that piece of antler in my album. The surface is not rough as in hair tearing, but it's not smooth, not slippery, so it grips a little for a gibraltar bun or one of my wacked out cinnabuns.

Does anyone else have bun ideas that do work for them?

Juneii
April 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
okay, I think I am 100&#37; sure that my hair is actually 1a and not 1b/1c
my shortest layer is longer now and past the awkward shoulder stage. the hair at the nape of my neck is stick straight like I just straightened it and so are the ends. my hair is still a bit wavy at the shoulder blades but other than that... :D

I do hate my straight hair sometimes, it lacks character IMO. but luckily I can curl it by rag curling - super curly and doesn't damage my hair. it's probably harder to go from curly to straight without frying it within an inch of it's life.

Nyghtingale
April 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Count me in too. :cool:

Fifty-Five
April 7th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Before I began growing my hair, it was bloodywell straight! o.o Then, as it grew out some, I started getting little curls in random places around my head. All the girls I knew were all 'Ohh! It's so cute!' ...so, naturally, I didn't mind. xD At the time. Now my hair has settled on being more or less straight with random waves that give me the most wonderful tangles you've ever seen! =D ... >.> I'm working on them, though. Oh, they don't know what I got in store for them! >=D ...mostly 'cause I don't, yet. ><

Phalaenopsis
April 8th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I do hate my straight hair sometimes, it lacks character IMO. but luckily I can curl it by rag curling - super curly and doesn't damage my hair. it's probably harder to go from curly to straight without frying it within an inch of it's life.

I think straight hair has the most character of all kinds of hair, because it refuses to do anything else than ly flat against your head! :D That's stubborness right there :p

smilinjenn71
April 8th, 2009, 04:27 AM
"...it's probably harder to go from curly to straight without frying it within an inch of it's life."

That is an excellent point JUNEII!!!

Milui Elenath
April 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
One bun that works ok on my hair is the chinese bun - I do have to wrap that initial pony tail wrapper really tight. I have a chinese hair ornament (see my album) that is sort of like two leaves coming up and out from a low center. Sort of like the first part of that Miao hair thing. I put the hair ornament (or stick or antler) between two bands on one side of the pony tail holder, through the hair in the pony, and out between two bands on the other side. Then, by hanging onto everything tightly, I'm able to do the wrap, and then quickly secure it with 8 or so Amish pins. I think it's probably a little damaging to my hair due to all the hardware.

Another one that works is the "orchid bun". I make that by itself with lots of Amish pins, then put a hair stick or ornament in for added security. Sometimes it's hard to get the stick in, I'm fighting with the Amish pins. And the Amish pins do have to be pushed back in.

The hair ornament that stays in best is that piece of antler in my album. The surface is not rough as in hair tearing, but it's not smooth, not slippery, so it grips a little for a gibraltar bun or one of my wacked out cinnabuns.

Does anyone else have bun ideas that do work for them?

I also find the chinese bun works fine for me but unfortunately I have nicknamed the orchid bun the awkward bun as it just doesn't stay for me. (I really like it that's why the persistence)My hair is just super slippery at the moment and I end up restyling buns three or four times. I think it's because I wear a hat that comes on and off all day. Then again it's because I persist with one hairstick. . . yes still.

Note to self: two hairsticks is okay.

DarkChocolate
April 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM
My hair is straight and fine and thus very silky:)

MsBubbles
April 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I do hate my straight hair sometimes, it lacks character IMO.

I don't think straight hair lacks character, but then I'm biased! Maybe it lacks character if you're wishing it were wavy. My daughter would probably say her naturally wavy hair lacks character until she irons it flat.

HoneyBeeMissy
April 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Straight and silky here! I love my straight hair, I'm very happy with what God gave me.:D

milamaas
April 8th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Another straight and silky in the house! So glad I found this thread! Ultimately I Love having straight and silky hair I just get frustrated sometimes with the "challenges" it brings ( slipping out of hair clips, lack of volume)

milamaas
April 8th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Any Straight and Silky ladies out there use and love shampoo bars? Any recommendations would be such a help. I get overwhelmed by the "shampoo bar thread"!!

earthdancer
April 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM

I have the opposite problem with the few silver hairs that come in: they are so curly they look like miniature slinkies, which I think is enormously fun:D since I always wanted curly hair. And they are bright silver, like new silver wire, and since my hair is so fine, no one can see them and people wonder why I keep brushing nothing out of my face where they literally float.

The float phenomenon is also fun: I took a regular straight strand of hair right off my head and handed it to my sister-in-law (hers is very coarse) and this 2-foot-long hair just stood straight up from her fingers, dancing on air. The look on her face was priceless!

Helen Baq
April 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I have the opposite problem with the few silver hairs that come in: they are so curly they look like miniature slinkies, which I think is enormously fun:D since I always wanted curly hair. And they are bright silver, like new silver wire, and since my hair is so fine, no one can see them and people wonder why I keep brushing nothing out of my face where they literally float.

The float phenomenon is also fun: I took a regular straight strand of hair right off my head and handed it to my sister-in-law (hers is very coarse) and this 2-foot-long hair just stood straight up from her fingers, dancing on air. The look on her face was priceless!

That's awesome!!! :rollin:

WelshLocks
April 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
May I make a rather stupid speculation? Has anyone else noticed that blondes seem to have straight hair?Or is that just me rambling at a very early hour?

I just wondered....

HairColoredHair
April 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm straight... dunno if I'm silky...

Kinda wondering if I'm still a 1a, but I'm definitely still a 1... meh.

Phalaenopsis
April 9th, 2009, 04:42 AM
May I make a rather stupid speculation? Has anyone else noticed that blondes seem to have straight hair?Or is that just me rambling at a very early hour?

I just wondered....

One of my roommates has honey blonde/ platinum blonde hair and she has wavy to curly hair!

But yes, I think straight hair is more common on blondes.

FUNK2LOPEZ
April 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I have straight hair. Before it was hennaed a bit and then honey lightened to get it back to about the same color it was before treated. I always thought of myself as a brunette, but was told, before the treatments, that I was a darker dirty blond. So now I'm a darker dirty blond with a reddish tint. :eyebrows:

FUNK2LOPEZ
April 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Any Straight and Silky ladies out there use and love shampoo bars? Any recommendations would be such a help. I get overwhelmed by the "shampoo bar thread"!!

I use a cheap bar I get from Fred Meyer (also known as Kroger in some other states), in the all natural/organic section. It's really cheap (about $2.00 per bar) and I love it. I like the Almond scented one. I would like to get some of the ones people have posted about in the Shampoo Bar Thread but my finances dictate me to stick with the ones in the store, for now.:tongue:

Dorothy
April 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Oh....the urge to curl....the agony and the agony. When I was a youngster Farah Faucet was all the rage, and when I was forced to cut my hair in fourth grade due to the giant RAT that developed in the back due to hooded coats and resistance on my part to being brushed, I so wanted that feathered bouncy hair. From then until my junior year in high school, I awoke at 5:00 am to put hot rollers in my hair in an effort to achieve that...covered it all with toxic spray..layers galore. Then I spent 15 minutes standing at the bus stop on a windy hill, and it was gone. My hair was as straight as it appears now in my pictures. I permed and permed, and each time, my bangs curled up like a poodle and the rest lay flat as a board, due to the weight, I suppose. In my junior year I radically accepted my hair and got my current cut - bangs to cover my giant forehead, back all one length... It has been this way now for the past 25 years. Acceptance, indeed, is the only way out of Hell.

Guinevere
April 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I do believe that I qualify as a Straight-hair person! =)
Actually I don't have much problem putting my hair up in a bun, the key is to twist it tightly. (But not too tight! You might break your hair!)

firenze
April 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM

I just wondered....

Well, I'm blonde and have straight hair, but my Dad is also blonde and he has curly hair. Now I'll be keeping an eye out for naturally wavy/curly blondes.

I really like having straight hair eventhough it does a funky little flip where my layers are. I used to flat iron it almost everyday to get it stick straight and make every hair perfectly flat, but now I like it natural. :)

ATrixie
April 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I have a friend and she's blonde & very curly..
/she sometimes straightens it though... but come rain or mist, 'I look like a sheep!' she says.. while we envy her curls, sigh!!/

another friend is blonde but has straight hair.. ok, make that 3 friends altogether (2 female & one male)
gosh I do know a lotta blondes?!! :)

Laurenji
April 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I have two blonde friends with hair so curly they could easily pull off a caucasian 'fro. But maybe they only come to mind because I know so many blondes with straight hair that I forget about them and only the curlies stand out.

vindo
April 11th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by WelshLocks http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=539742#post539742)

I just wondered....

I think these days its hard to tell which straight hair is real and which is not. Just yesterday I noticed so many straight heads of which I suspected they were blown out or flatironed, some look obvious, others don't...-_-

I think it does not depend on the color much though, rather ethnicity maybe.

flapjack
April 11th, 2009, 10:48 PM
A lot of northern and eastern Europeans seem to have straighter hair. I do know several Russian and Polish girls with hair that's EXTREMELY curly, definitely 3c... but they're seems to be a higher proportion of straight/slightly wavy hair in that area from what I've seen. Every northern European/Scandinavian girl I know has hair that's pin straight.

HairColoredHair
April 11th, 2009, 10:58 PM

I've used and loved Chagrin Valley Nettle and Neem.

Both smell strongly at first though, so beware of that.

I also like the coffee soap but haven't tried the coffee shampoo yet. :)

Phalaenopsis
April 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM
These last days I tried to get curls in my hair (which didn't work). I'm missing my straight hair now. A change can be good for one day, but I miss my shiny hair :o

MsBubbles
April 17th, 2009, 09:21 AM
See...flapjack said what I was trying to say, but I probably didn't say it right. (is it vain to quote oneself?! :))

]

A lot of northern and eastern Europeans seem to have straighter hair. I do know several Russian and Polish girls with hair that's EXTREMELY curly, definitely 3c... but they're seems to be a higher proportion of straight/slightly wavy hair in that area from what I've seen. Every northern European/Scandinavian girl I know has hair that's pin straight.

frodolaughs
April 17th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Great thread! (But way too many posts to read before breakfasting) Thank you for starting this, it's a great idea. Maybe I'll finally find my hairtwin here.

Phalaenopsis
April 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
See...flapjack said what I was trying to say, but I probably didn't say it right. (is it vain to quote oneself?! :))

I understand :flower:

I've been a naughty girl, found my mother's curling iron (that thing is really old) and had some fun with my straight hair :o

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/krullendeeindjes-1.jpg

I must say, maybe I'll do it again for a special occassion.

MsBubbles
April 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM

I've been a naughty girl, found my mother's curling iron (that thing is really old) and had some fun with my straight hair :o

Oh my God!! :thud:Stunning!!

plainjanegirl
April 23rd, 2009, 04:04 PM

Beautiful!!!

Phalaenopsis
April 24th, 2009, 02:37 AM
A curling iron is the only way to get some curls in my hair which will stay for a bit. And actually it has to be quite a hot curling iron, otherwise it even won't work. Talking about being straight! :p

I oiled my hair afterwards, because I don't want to ruin my ends.

slz
April 24th, 2009, 03:58 AM
How can you be sure if you're1 a / 1 b ? Or maybe just wondering means you're 1 b ?
I have straight hair, yes, although most of the time I have braid waves - spend 90 &#37; of the time braided. As a teenager I got a perm once (on a jaw-length square cut), it stayed on for a week at most, then poof - nothing left. I can't remember what it looked like at mid-length, now it's not silky straight, always a bit "puffy" (maybe that's just because it's not as healthy as it should / a bit damaged ?).
When air dried after a regular shampoo, it looks like the pics in my profile - what would you call it, 1 a or b ?

plainjanegirl
April 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM
So I have found that if I wash with stuff that has cones then my hair is more silky and smooth like but also the hair feels thinner. Where as if I wash with non cone stuff my hair is fluffy and almost frizzy but much thicker feeling. Do you all find this to be true too? And if so then what do you use on a regular basis?

MsBubbles
April 24th, 2009, 08:00 AM
So I have found that if I wash with stuff that has cones then my hair is more silky and smooth like but also the hair feels thinner. Where as if I wash with non cone stuff my hair is fluffy and almost frizzy but much thicker feeling. Do you all find this to be true too? And if so then what do you use on a regular basis?

Yes, same thing happens to my hair. I don't like the 'fluffy' way my hair feels towards the ends because I still have old blow-frying damage, and I want my hair to hang silkier and move right. In other words, I don't like it hanging together all fluffy in a clump. However, taken on pure faith that what people say about cones being damaging is true...I am going to keep using non-cone shampoo & conditioner. The way I counteract the fluffiness is to spray three spritzes of my water/camellia oil mix onto the ends. Only enough to de-fluffify it. If I spray too much on it turns to oily, wet-looking rats tails.

bikerblue
April 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Just wanted to say great thread. I don't feel so guilty about being a total cone now!

earthdancer
April 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM
So I have found that if I wash with stuff that has cones then my hair is more silky and smooth like but also the hair feels thinner. Where as if I wash with non cone stuff my hair is fluffy and almost frizzy but much thicker feeling. Do you all find this to be true too?

Yes! I am trying an all-natural shampoo bar, and just on the scalp; even the first time I used it, my hair lost the silky feel but looked a lot thicker and felt a lot heavier (yay!). The 3rd time I used the bar, I used an apple-cider vinegar rinse all over, leaving it in my hair about 5 minutes, and my hair really liked it. I still use a detangler, because otherwise it would be a knotted mess 'cause I lightly bleach my hair.

DarkChocolate
April 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I am part Swedish so maybe that is where I get my straight hair from:)
It is most likely where I get my fine thus silky hair from too:)

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/CocoaPanther/DSC01647-1.jpg

Lady Godiva
April 24th, 2009, 11:00 AM
How can you be sure if you're1 a / 1 b ? Or maybe just wondering means you're 1 b ?
I have straight hair, yes, although most of the time I have braid waves - spend 90 % of the time braided. As a teenager I got a perm once (on a jaw-length square cut), it stayed on for a week at most, then poof - nothing left. I can't remember what it looked like at mid-length, now it's not silky straight, always a bit "puffy" (maybe that's just because it's not as healthy as it should / a bit damaged ?).
When air dried after a regular shampoo, it looks like the pics in my profile - what would you call it, 1 a or b ?

The way I describe the difference between 1a and 1b hair is that 1a hair never has body. Even when super clean it is mostly flat on top, and this goes for even when it's short. 1b when short often has body. Generally, for all lengths, 1a doesn't have body, and 1b has some.

MsBubbles
April 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
The way I describe the difference between 1a and 1b hair is that 1a hair never has body. Even when super clean it is mostly flat on top, and this goes for even when it's short. 1b when short often has body. Generally, for all lengths, 1a doesn't have body, and 1b has some.

OK this helps! I was wondering about the 1a vs 1b thing too because I do get braidwaves for a few hours sometimes. But no, my hair has zero body, and lies flat when short too. So yeah, I'm definitely a 1a then.

Samitra
April 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM

That is a very good description! My hair lies flat most of the time, but sometimes it surprises me with some body. That's why I chose the hairtype 1a/1b to describe my hair. But all the body shows up in the upper layers, and around my temples (when I was 12 I actually had spiral curls framing my face. They suddenly showed up, and then disappeared a year later). And one of the reasons why I decided not to have a long pixie cut was that my hair behaved funny, some of it decided to start forming wierd "half" S-waves. But now it's just the face framing layers/growing fringe that shows some body on a regular basis...

babbleball
April 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM

You said it. The only way I can get any body is but parting one way while wet and then parting on the otherside once it's dry. Even then it flattens out after a little while. Or my hair will miraculously part back to the otherside.

slz
April 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks ! That helps a lot. As much as I can recall (which is not much as I unfortunately have the kind of memory span a goldfish would have) when I had shorter hair it mostly looked like nothing, I would try everything to have it even a bit "fluffy" or what but it desperately laid flat. So I'd say I'm a 1a then.

Fifty-Five
April 25th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Sometimes my hair is straight. o.o Sometimes it isn't. >.> When it was growing out from like...well, boy-short xD it often had a few little curls and/or waves in random places. o.o After it hit 'bout...the top of my shoulders, POOF! Disappeared. Well, mostly. Now I have a slight wave showing up at random times. >.> I think it really depends on when I comb my hair in relation to when its drying. Sometimes I comb it when it's damp, and sometimes only after it's completely dry. o.o

Oh, I heard a user mention there comes a time when 2 ponytails just aren't cute... D= I hope that's a fib! ...'n' not just 'cause of my picture xP Haha.

Lize
May 8th, 2009, 12:57 AM
*bump*

I have, as I said, very slippery hair. Unfortunately it is also layered and not quite at BSL yet. These things make it a bit difficult to find updos that work for my hair. Any suggestions?

And what updos work for your hair? How do you usually wear it?

Samitra
May 8th, 2009, 01:09 AM
My standard updo is a French twist. It's easy, and even if the front layers escape in a matter of seconds, the back always looks neat. And most of the time I manage to make it hold for a whole day! But I need a hair toy that can really hold it.

But I don't know if BSL hair is too long for a French twist... I think it depends on both lenght and thickness. I've noticed that I've been forced to change technique and hair toys as my hair grows longer.

French or Dutch braids are quite good for layered and slippery hair. If you have braiding skills, use them; make a folded braid if you don't want the braid to rub against your back (that makes at least my layers to start poking out).

I've found that if I put my hair up while it's still damp, it'll hold better. :)

smilinjenn71
May 8th, 2009, 05:15 AM
My friend gave me some sponge rollers. (she didn't like them) Night before last, I put mousse in my hair, rolled my hair damp and slept on them. The next morning I had some kinky/wild curls!! LOL However, this morning, they have quite relaxed and are very pretty. I think that's pretty good for a straight-y! I posted a couple of pics in an album and my Avatar is a pic from yesterday's curls, later in the day.

The best part is that I got curls w/o the damaging heat!:cheese:

UrsaMama
May 8th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I have this hair type! Some of my staples are these (Scunci No Damage Soft and Light)
http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Scunci-No-Damage-Ponytail_8B9FBFB2.jpg
and these (Scunci No Damage Firm and Tight Flat design)
http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Scunci-No-Damage-Flat-Elastic_85CFD653.jpg

The first ones are like little rolls of heavy duty nylons, fairly gentle and have a bit more tension without being too hard to put in. I use them on my sleep braids and they stay in well. They only have a tendency to slip because I have layers and that makes an artificial tapering. The second ones I use a lot in my 6yo dd's hair. I don't know if it's just the size or if it really is the flat design that makes them stay in so much bettor than others, even from the same maker.

Braids are some of my standards but it really does take more length to get the same amount of friction.

Curl rags work great for me. I can actually get curly/wavy hair for 3-4 days with those.

My hair isn't nearly long enough to work with sticks so I don't know about those yet. Soon! :eyebrows:

UrsaMama
May 8th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Oh! And I use these bobby pins (Spilo Hair Ware)

http://www.spilo.com/e-store/media/prod_full/hw060bk.jpg
They work MUCH better than any other brand I've found. The bent end is closest in shape to the middle one on this pic.
http://www.ladyjayne.co.nz/img/productimages/SE_BobbyPins.jpg
But they're even flatter so they have way more holding power. I can only get them at the local beauty supply store. I don't know if Sally's carries them. I've never used hairpins. I just can't figure out how they can possibly stay in hair! (at least mine :p)

flapjack
May 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I miss using regular bobby pins... I still have a drawer full of them from years past, hahaha. Once my hair got back to my waist, it was too thick to use them, they only go through tiny bits of my hair and don't even reach halfway through the bun diameter, anymore. I use roller pins, now... they're like bobby pins only much longer and without the little bumpies in the middle. Yes, they're meant for rollers, haha. But they work great for hair, too!

lambhair
May 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Straight and silky...? I'm there! For a long time I lamented my very fine, very straight hair. Then one day, I just decided that if this was the hair I was born with then I was going to live with it, appreciate it, take the best care of it that I could and learn to love what I had! I got tired of trying to force my hair into doing things that it just wasn't meant to do...like be curly or hold an unnatural shape or style and to just let it be itself. Now I couldn't be happier with it...far from being flat, limp or stringy...its healthy, silky and sometimes looks darn near irridescent in the sunlight (thanks henna!).

Idun
August 16th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Yess! Finally found a thread for straighties! :cheese:

Does anyone of you use salt water misting to make the hair less slippery for updoes?

metalgypsy85
August 16th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I have super straight hair. I love it cause it's really soft and silky. I don't love it cause it's also thin, and when it falls out from stress or anything, it's noticeable, so I have to constantly baby it.

Phalaenopsis
August 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Hairdresser Jerry from our little Belgian/Dutch forum gave me this great anti-slip scrunchie/elastic. It has rubber on it, but it's still easy to pull out. It's from Zenner.

Rivanariko
August 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Straight and Silky, that's me!
My hair generally hovers somewhere between 1a and 1b, depending on the day. Sometimes it likes to pretend to be curly... I don't know. It doesn't do a very convincing impression though.

What I've always thought is kind of funny is that we seem to be conditioned to desire whatever hair we don't have. People with straight hair are getting perms, curling, doing anything to try to get their hair to do something else other than hang straight, but all of my curly friends (non-LHC) couldn't live without their straighteners. Why can't we just accept what we were born with and be happy with it?

Idun
August 16th, 2009, 09:50 AM
What I've always thought is kind of funny is that we seem to be conditioned to desire whatever hair we don't have. People with straight hair are getting perms, curling, doing anything to try to get their hair to do something else other than hang straight, but all of my curly friends (non-LHC) couldn't live without their straighteners. Why can't we just accept what we were born with and be happy with it?

True. I have had several damageing and ridiculous looking perms in my time. But I made peace with my straight hair approaching 30. I do like the occasional curl or ringlets though, for special occasions. Unfortunately curls donīt take very well in my hair, so usually at the end of the evening they are reduced to a slight wave.

ericthegreat
August 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
OMG I am so THANKFUL that someone here bumped this thread up!

Its about time that us straighties got our recognition as well! I was seriously beginning to think(and no offense to all the curlies out here) that LHC was slanted in favor of curlier and wavier haired people. I'm really glad the people with all hair types are equally loved here! :cheese:

Quick question: my hair naturally air-dried and brushed out looks like this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3325&pictureid=42851

And when I blow out and then run my hair over with my flat iron I look like this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3493&pictureid=45268

So am I truly a 1a?

rexy
August 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
1a here too! I feel blessed to have stick straight hair, even if it is slippery.

Idun
August 16th, 2009, 10:42 AM
So am I truly a 1a?

Must be. It looks very straight and silky to me! :)

ericthegreat
August 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Ok thank you Idun :)! Its just that my hair gets thicker, bigger, and plumps up with more volume when I let it naturally air-dry. So I wasn't quite sure if this meant I'm leaning more toward 1b or 1c than a 1a. But your right my hair really is more toward 1a.

But since I'm a hairstylist, I can change my texture to up to a 3c if I wanted to! :cheese::cheese:

rags
August 16th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Eric, I would put you more at a 1b because the hairtyping system is supposed to be done when air-dried. You look like you have more body when air dried. 1b just means a bit of volume and body, but still straight. :shrug: That's what it looks like to me anyways

Idun
August 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Eric, I would put you more at a 1b because the hairtyping system is supposed to be done when air-dried. You look like you have more body when air dried. 1b just means a bit of volume and body, but still straight. :shrug: That's what it looks like to me anyways

Now I get confused. I thought 1b was a slight wave? When my hair is wet it is not totally stick straight, but once I comb it all signs of waviness disappears. I sometimes have a little bend at the ends though. Maybe Iīm not what I think I am :D. Whereīs the hairtype jury?

lindaton
August 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I am very jealous of all you straight haired people. To me the straight hair shows the shine so much more. The first time I had long hair to my knees it was straight and twice as thick as it is now.

ericthegreat
August 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Yeah, that's what I've always thought so too rags. I mean I really hoped I was a perfect 1a, but as my hair doesn't air dry perfectly flat and instead plumps up with more volume I've always kinda knew I had at least a hint of wave to my hair. But that's actually a great thing! Being a 1b means that I can enjoy both the wonders of shiny sleek straight hair quite easily with just a brush and a few kisses with my flat iron and I can also go the opposite direction and go quite curly and have the curly style hold.

ericthegreat
August 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Just reviving this thread back up from the LHC abyss! :cheese:

Eolan
August 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Oh, hi everyone! I'm in! :waving:

pink.sara
August 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Count me in too!
Not sure if I'm a 1a or 1b because I have alot of hair and it has movement to it when its airdried and a longer length, but no visible waves at all?

Also does anyone else get tangles in the underneath when its down?
I seem to get knots as soon as I get past shoulder in the nape of my neck from the top layers rubbing when they move... only straightening or thinning it out with scissors seems to help it :( Any suggestions are welcome!

ericthegreat
August 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Pink Sara, even with my very thick and coarse hair, I almost never get any tangles even at my length which is now down to my butt. I know Ojon is your favorite treatment, perhaps using it more often say at least once a week will help with detangling your hair. Ever since I've been using Ojon, my hair is literally free of knots!

plainjanegirl
August 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Pink Sara, even with my very thick and coarse hair, I almost never get any tangles even at my length which is now down to my butt. I know Ojon is your favorite treatment, perhaps using it more often say at least once a week will help with detangling your hair. Ever since I've been using Ojon, my hair is literally free of knots!

How do you use the ojon? AS a leave in or a prewash treatment?

ericthegreat
August 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Both. I use Ojon as a pre-shampoo oil treatment, and after my hair air dries I will sometimes take just a tiny amount with my fingers and apply that over any stray or puffy strands I find to smooth my mane.

MsBubbles
August 19th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I was under the impression that the difference between 1a and 1b was how much your hair 'holds a wave'. Mine pretty much doesn't ever hold any wave and now I have given up trying, finally after all these years :D.

smilinjenn71
August 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Curious if anyone here has used Mane and Tail Condish??

If so, what was your experience?

xovictoryxo
August 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I am insanely jealous of all the people in this thread!
That is all....
tootles!! lol

Lilli
August 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I was under the impression that the difference between 1a and 1b was how much your hair 'holds a wave'. Mine pretty much doesn't ever hold any wave and now I have given up trying, finally after all these years :D.

Well then I must be a 1b because I have waves in my nape layers and an almost imperceptible "bend" throughout. I wonder what I have in my profile?

Anyway, I have had three perms and always regret it. I much prefer the sleek, neat look and shine of my straight hair! Plus, I don't have to style it to make it look good. So many curlies have to put gel in, let it dry without being disturbed, blah blah blah... that would be such a pain!

Raponsje
August 20th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Straight and silky here! The envy of my curly girlfriends. Who I envy in return because their curly hair looks so abundant. Mine is flat as a pancake.

pink.sara
August 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM

I might just do that as it gets longer Eric, if it helps you it must be good! Thanks for the suggestion!
I think maybe I concentrate my conditioner on the top layers more so I'll have to stop that as well :(

Love straight hair though!
The swish of a big fat straight pony as it escapes the puny hairstick I tried to trap it up with is something I miss very much and hope to have again soon! :D

amyapple329
August 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Stick straight here too.

GlassEyes
August 23rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
*pokes head in*

I feel like I'm violating some sort of treaty. It's kind of funny. :D XD; I feel like a vampire in a cathedral!

And now that I'm done, I'll run away and cause chaos elsewhere. [/notaqualitypost]

Tess2319
August 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Hey, this thread slipped all the way to page 4!

Newbie here. I listed self as 1a/1b, but my hair is changing. The "original" hair is 1a, but the grey ones are coming in as little corkscrew 2's or 3's. I suspect when I am totally grey I will be a 1c or somewhere in the 2's...

At least since finding LHC the greys are behaving better. I think cone buildup was making them crazy...

lundmir
August 25th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I'm in. I've noticed some "movement" in my hair now that it is longer, but it is still quite straight and silky. And I love it that way, styling is so easy!

rags
August 25th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Hey, this thread slipped all the way to page 4!

Newbie here. I listed self as 1a/1b, but my hair is changing. The "original" hair is 1a, but the grey ones are coming in as little corkscrew 2's or 3's. I suspect when I am totally grey I will be a 1c or somewhere in the 2's...

At least since finding LHC the greys are behaving better. I think cone buildup was making them crazy...

Tess, a lot of us with silvers find that they settle down and behave after a certain length. All my baby silvers are corkscrews; after they get about 12" long or so, they go almost as straight as the rest of my hair.

ETA: They did turn me from a 1a to a 1b, though!

Lady Mary
August 25th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Stick straight, thin and silky hair here... Checking in! :laugh:

I've had straight hair my whole life. Once in a while the end will flip to the left or the right a little but I think it's from environment rather than what the hair naturally does (wearing it up, resting against my shoulders or chair, etc.)

Lize
August 26th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Tess, a lot of us with silvers find that they settle down and behave after a certain length. All my baby silvers are corkscrews; after they get about 12" long or so, they go almost as straight as the rest of my hair.

ETA: They did turn me from a 1a to a 1b, though!

I have only two silvers that I have found so far, but I hope some time in the future I might become a 1c. :D

Ruvie
August 26th, 2009, 12:47 PM
1a here too! I have fairytale ends and they drive me absolutely bonkers!

Elvi
September 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hello, I guite like my straight hair, and in my country naturally curly hair is a little unusual. They may say like Lucy in Peanuts: "People expect more from those with naturally curly hair." Very many Finns Finns have got fine silky straight hair.

I feel lucky that my straight hair bends somehow anyway - you can see nice braid waves in my avatar. But I think shiny fine silky straight hair looks very beautiful, the most glistening hair.

freckles
September 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure if I've got my hairtype completely right, but I'm definitely a straighthair :) I like it most of the time - but I wish my hair would hold curl just for a little while when I want it to for special occasions! haha

bigevilgrape
September 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hi, I"m straight as an arrow, with the exception of the little whispies on the base of my neck that get curly on super high humidity days. I'll take my easy to care for straight hair over curls any day.

MissManda
September 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I'm a straight-hair, too! I am not sure about my hairtype, either. I thought it was type 1a, but since I've been using the CWC method, I've noticed that the ends (that aren't affected by the perm from 2 years ago) do a little wave, er, thingy. Even the baby hairs!

I like my hair. It's pretty easy to style and when I do braid waves, they stay in pretty well. I just have to make sure not to use a brush on it afterward because then I'll look like Fluffy, Destroyer of Worlds. lol

Knittergirl
September 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I am a definet (sp?) 1a or even 1aa! My hair won't hold curl for anything! Braid waves hold really well though.

MissManda
September 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I love braid waves, but I'm dying to make some rag curlers, like the ones in the "Deep/Snake Waves" tutorial! I love that appearance!

Liss
December 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM
This is a group for me too!

I've had quite a love/hate relationship with my dead straight hair.

I love that it's so soft, shiny and silky and easy to maintain, and it also has that stylish sleek look that people spend hours trying to achieve. I love that people want to run their hands through my hair to feel how silky it is, and that I only need a simple comb to get it that way.

But... I hate that I sometimes get so bored with it being just the same all the time. It never holds those gorgeous angelic curls that I love so much.

I've found that tying it up in a French twist will hold all day if I do it when it's wet. When it's dry it either won't go up, or just slips straight out again.

It's so nice to have this thread where we can all learn from each other's techniques!

Elainehali
December 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM
straight hair is easy.

If your hair is too slippery try very diluted salt water to put it up. A little goes a long way, like oil.

HildeMV
December 19th, 2009, 05:52 PM
MY hair is not completely straight, but has some waves. But this is this the thread that is closest to my hairtype :)

Pear Martini
December 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I'm a wavy-head. I just wanted to stop by and say you guys have it so easy!!!

*run away*

MissManda
December 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I have found that aloe vera gel is very wonderful for my hair type. I have to use a bunch of it, though if I want it to hold waves. I am totally in love with that stuff.

squee
December 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Checking in. See siggy below for my qualifications.

What I would like to see are some styles for 1aF hair. I am blessed with medium thickness but it's still so slippery that I have needed an extra year's growth than other hairtypes need to do similar styles. Even now, at classic, my hair laughs at these lovely no-tool-to-hold-it-up dos many of the less-fine types can achieve. "What? You're trying to put me up with no toys at all? Watch this!" — and it slides right out and down my back. (My husband, who has very curly and medium coarseness hair, once watched me try to tie my hair into a knot. He was cringing while I laughed at him. Of course, my hair promptly slid right out.)

*bows* I tie my hair too, if only it would stay for more then 2 seconds...that would be so convenient if I lacked a hair toy!

:waving:Another straight-y checking in! I'm still a shortie too though.:p

Anyway, I think it will be helpful for straight haired girls to get input from others about what works and what doesn't. :rolleyes:

I completely agree :)

Pins do not stay in my hair, Leather does...plastic does not, horn kinda does, I do not know about wood yet. I did find some french amish pin type things that stay fairly well. :)

My hair is mostly straight, It only gets slightly wavy on the ends.
It is also very slippery (yet not fine, mostly thicker hair), so odd. :p

Sammich
December 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Hey... Joining this thread I guess. I'm VERY straight, It's just when my hair is shoulder or any ammount of hair is shoulder, it's a bit wavy. (Feathery like) I get asked if I've feathered my hair. o_O It seems the longer my hair gets the less wavy. :) Eventhough under shoulder it's not wavy at all.
But anywho, yeah. :D HI!

MissManda
December 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM
That is very interesting, because my hair looks very straight when it is shorter, but once it starts to get long, the wavies start to appear. I started getting them on my ends at first, and now I get some very loose S waves at my temples. :D

verene
December 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'll jump in this thread as well. My hair is straight with a hint of wave when air dried. Very straight when combed while drying. (Ignore my sig pic, I had braid waves in on the day I took it.)

I'm wondering what the difference between 1b and 1c are for classifying? Is it amount of wave, or amount of volume, or ability to hold wave/curl?

Alexannee10
December 21st, 2009, 10:27 PM
I'm joining! When my hair is washed and air dryied, I'm 1b :)

flutterbudget
December 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
:waving:
My hair is straight. Straight straight straight. And fine.
The end. ;)

ap1524
December 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
I'll jump on this train as well - my hair is pin straight!

katana
December 22nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Straight, here; slippery enough that scrunchies and barettes don't hold. I've stuck forks into figure-8 buns and a couple hours later, the fork is 90 degrees from where it started and sliding out. >.< However (ok, I've said this before, but) the Hypno bun is awesome, if your hair is long enough. My hair stays in place > 12 hours with a single hair stick (I have wood, metal, antler). Also, ficcares seem to hold my hair up decently; did a log roll and it felt quite secure, and now that I have a large size, I have a mutant french roll that seems to be secure as well...

dragonfrog
December 22nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Another one with straight hair checking in here :) I might be a 1b, I'll have to get around to a hairtyping picture someday, but my hair is definitely quite straight (though perhaps not as coarse as I once thought).

I've always had trouble getting stuff to stay in my hair. Scrunchies need to be constantly refreshed, and pretty barrettes must be worn over hair ties (which must be tight enough to hurt my fingers putting on). I was quite amazed to discover that simple wood hair sticks and forks actually hold my hair quite well, compared to other stuff I've tried. I haven't had quite as good of luck with hair pins; I've tried hair Amish pins, Good Days plastic hair pins, and hair scroos, and only the scroos were able to hold up an entire bun; the pins can only be used for securing ends (and they often pop out anyway).

I've found Hypnotica's French twist hair slide is a great hairstyle; it often holds my hair when nothing else will (like the day after a wash). Although sometimes even that won't do; I was quite late to see my family the other day because my freshly-washed hair absolutely did not want to go up, or would pull terribly if I did get it up. I finally got it up into a French braided bun (figuring if it fell out of the bun it would still be somewhat contained) but I still had to fix it an hour later.

Juneii
December 22nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
hmm, I think I am finally giving up on getting my hair to do anything but lay flat and straight down my back.
my hair is nearing hip length and the weight keeps me from having braid waves or rag curls for longer than two hours until it is stick straight again. shame, but I like it straight now :]

MissManda
December 23rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
hmm, I think I am finally giving up on getting my hair to do anything but lay flat and straight down my back.
my hair is nearing hip length and the weight keeps me from having braid waves or rag curls for longer than two hours until it is stick straight again. shame, but I like it straight now :]

Have you tried braiding while your hair is still damp? Or how about aloe vera gel?

Juneii
December 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Have you tried braiding while your hair is still damp? Or how about aloe vera gel?

yes I have, still, the results weren't as good and eventually it straightens itself until it looks more like frizz than waves :(
haven't tried the aloe vera gel, I see big tubs of it being sold at walmart, maybe I should give that a try too...

StrongWall
March 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM
what's that aloe vera gel?
i'm not sure we have it in my country
can i try gel straight from the plant?

Rhiannon7
March 6th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I'm also a straight and silky, even if my hair is 1B/1C. it's mostly straight unless i leave it to dry completely alone, no detangling or anything. never gets curls or wurls or anything, just waves a bit more when i do nothing and let it air dry. but my hair demands to be detangled wet and some leave ins so i give it what it needs to be healthy and silky. so glad to have this thread where i can share and learn the dos and don'ts of our hair type.

Dimitri'sMom
March 8th, 2010, 12:16 PM
My hair is definitely straight and silky. It has a very slight body wave, but is so fine and silky that it slips out of whatever braid or tail I put it in, unless I do things like use a damaging elastic and lots of gel and hairspray, which I'm trying NOT to do since deciding to grow my hair out the LHC way. My son has also graduated from running his little baby hands through it in wonder to grabbing big chunks of it and pulling on it or gumming it. I have hope though, because so many of you have grown out your straight hair beautifully.

katana
March 8th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I got the most ridiculous curl out of a pencil bun - I took my hair down over lunch to redo it and had to stare cross-eyed in amazement at it until I put it back in a bun... I don't know if the curl would stay or not, though; braid waves fall out after a few hours if my hair is let loose, even if I had slept in the braid over night.

Demetrue
March 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Wavy head here - just popping in to say how much I love straight, silky hair! Almost every hair idol I ever had would be classified 1a. I didn't even realize that till recently. I think that a shining curtain of silky straight hair is just gorgeous!

Kelli Kat
March 8th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Another 1a checking in here. Mine is straighter than straight. Not even a hint of a wave or curl. Now that I am oiling it and taking better care of it, hopefully soon I'll also be silky. :)

oceanwoman111
March 11th, 2010, 06:37 PM

I feel ya SS. (straighty sister) :agree: I did a cone- free condition yesterday and my BF was running his fingers through and said "Eww, Your hair feels weird, not silky as usual"LOL. He said it felt like zombie hair. Leave it to men. But it felt really thick. :D So funny. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Trying to find that perfect balance is enough to drive you :crazyq:

OMG!!! I love this thread!!! Most hair toys slip right out of my hair. Since I've joined LHC and been incorporating all of the healthy habits, my hair has gotten so soft. Almost too soft, if that's possible. It just lays flat. Anyone else experienced the super straightness of healthy 1a/1b hair? If I clip the top half up while it's drying, I can get a little bit more lift at the roots.

I love having straight hair!!! I love how it tumbles down my shoulders. How it reflects the light in it's uniform delight. Most of my curly haired girlfriends have to add product to control their hair. I'm glad I can just let mine air dry. I think curls are gorgeous, but not for me. The think the hardest think to deal with is how easily it compacts into a little braid or bun. I see these huge braids and buns on LHC and feel a little inadequate. Luckily, when it comes to hair, size doesn't matter :wink: But when I let this delicate mass of darken silk down............ it can run with the best of em. :cheer:

Is there a group for us? I looked and couldn't find it.

MissManda
March 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I feel ya SS. (straighty sister) :agree: I did a cone- free condition yesterday and my BF was running his fingers through and said "Eww, Your hair feels weird, not silky as usual"LOL. He said it felt like zombie hair. Leave it to men. But it felt really thick. :D So funny. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Trying to find that perfect balance is enough to drive you :crazyq:

OMG!!! I love this thread!!! Most hair toys slip right out of my hair. Since I've joined LHC and been incorporating all of the healthy habits, my hair has gotten so soft. Almost too soft, if that's possible. It just lays flat. Anyone else experienced the super straightness of healthy 1a/1b hair? If I clip the top half up while it's drying, I can get a little bit more lift at the roots.

I love having straight hair!!! I love how it tumbles down my shoulders. How it reflects the light in it's uniform delight. Most of my curly haired girlfriends have to add product to control their hair. I'm glad I can just let mine air dry. I think curls are gorgeous, but not for me. The think the hardest think to deal with is how easily it compacts into a little braid or bun. I see these huge braids and buns on LHC and feel a little inadequate. Luckily, when it comes to hair, size doesn't matter :wink: But when I let this delicate mass of darken silk down............ it can run with the best of em. :cheer:

Is there a group for us? I looked and couldn't find it.

I remember when I used Pantene shampoo when I was younger with classic length hair. All of the cones made my hair super straight (no wave whatsoever) and very shiny. I loved it, actually. Now that I don't use cones anymore, my hair is fluffier and my waves come out. It's still shiny and silky, but it's been toned down because my hair is more willing to fluff out and I love it

I totally understand how you feel about hairtoys falling out. They can hold my hair really tightly, but they will still slide down even though they fit perfectly.

My girlfriends are baffled at how my hair is always so shiny and I constantly get the "What shampoo do you use?" question. They get really disappointed when I tell them that it is my hair type.

cardamom
March 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Well,I got my wavy hair relaxed last month.I'm creeping in with your permission!:D

longhairdream
March 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Hello - 1a here ! I have straight and not-so-long-yet hair (growing them out) :)

habioku
March 12th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Hi to everyone! I'm a straight hair too, so I want to you your group :). My hairtype is 1a/1b (maybe because of my layers) My hair looks like this:

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/5421/vergleich1jahrdanach.jpg (http://img697.imageshack.us/i/vergleich1jahrdanach.jpg/)
In former times I didn't like my straight hair, because of the lack of volume at the hair line. But now I realy love my straight hair, I think it is easier to care and to style.

MissManda
March 12th, 2010, 01:02 AM
cardamom:

Wow, I love your hair color! It is incredibly beautiful!

Bluna:

Your hair looks to be in nice condition. I understand the lack of volume thing. I actually loved my straight hair until my grandmother started complaining about how un-curly it was. Now I have been working on finding the love for my hair that I once had. It's been hard, but well worth it.

I've been working on wearing my hair straight more often. I used to wear it in nothing but braid waves because I was so ashamed how my hair type, but I've loved my hair even more now that I wear it straight.

When it isn't straight, it's wavy. I've been having some difficulty with getting bun waves to stay, though.

freckles
March 12th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Hi to everyone! I'm a straight hair too, so I want to you your group :). My hairtype is 1a/1b (maybe because of my layers) My hair looks like this:

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/5421/vergleich1jahrdanach.jpg (http://img697.imageshack.us/i/vergleich1jahrdanach.jpg/)
In former times I didn't like my straight hair, because of the lack of volume at the hair line. But now I realy love my straight hair, I think it is easier to care and to style.
you have a gorgeous, deep colour bluna!

habioku
March 12th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Thank you very much :joy:

cardamom
March 12th, 2010, 05:07 AM
cardamom:

Wow, I love your hair color! It is incredibly beautiful!

Bluna:

Your hair looks to be in nice condition. I understand the lack of volume thing. I actually loved my straight hair until my grandmother started complaining about how un-curly it was. Now I have been working on finding the love for my hair that I once had. It's been hard, but well worth it.

I've been working on wearing my hair straight more often. I used to wear it in nothing but braid waves because I was so ashamed how my hair type, but I've loved my hair even more now that I wear it straight.

When it isn't straight, it's wavy. I've been having some difficulty with getting bun waves to stay, though.

Thanks a lot for the comment Missmanda!You made my day!:puppykisses:

countryhopper
March 12th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Another straightie here!

i started a thread yesterday on how often you brush. I was shocked to see that curlies can get away with combing/brushing a couple times A WEEK!!! I brush every time I pass a mirror, it seems like! I have to keep my hair in an updo to fight the urge to brush away the hanging stands that like to clump together. Now i now I have my hair type to thank... :D

I guess it's not all bad, though. We don't have to deal with frizz in the humidity!

I've also found that I can braid my hair, and it stays pretty well throughout the day. It miight get a little looser, but then it just looks more casual!

My hairsticks/forks are made of metal, adn sometimes the weight of them makes my twist/bun sag and eventually need fixing again. I probably redo my twists at least 8 times a day!

ETA: I want to ask my fellow straighties here about oiling... do you do it? how do you keep your hair from looking even more flat and stringy? I've tried oiling some, but it seems to take at least 2 days for the oil to completely soak in..

oceanwoman111
March 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM
cardamom:

I understand the lack of volume thing. I actually loved my straight hair until my grandmother started complaining about how un-curly it was. Now I have been working on finding the love for my hair that I once had. It's been hard, but well worth it.

:D Miss Manda, my grandmother does the same thing she says " Aren't you going to do something with it?" "You should get highlights or layer it." I'm like "I am doing something. I'm letting it shine in all it's natural glory." She doesn't get it. In her day, it was all about the finger curls, waves , she's been making her hair blond since he was 16.

I honestly think really loving your hair makes it grow stronger and faster. I know it sounds funny ,but I think it has something to do with positive thinking. Love it and it will love you back darlin. :)

Country Hopper, I oil my hair. I find that it gives me the moisture and super shine without the waxy buildup that all natural conditioners leave behind. When I tried COing , my hair turned into to something I didn't even recognize. I was dull and weird.

The oils that I use vary. I do a scalp massage with Rosemary once or twice a week. I do it before bed and then usually wash it out in the morning.

On the length I use Jojoba or Morrocean oil pretty often. I don't use a whole lot and I spread it out in my hands and then lightly grab the ends of my hair and work my hands through the whole length and I don't put any near my scalp that way it doesn't get stringy or greasy looking.

If I'm not going anywhere, then I will really lay it on and bun it and just let it sit for a few hours then wash it out before bed with water. Hope that helps.

MissManda
March 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM
:D Miss Manda, my grandmother does the same thing she says " Aren't you going to do something with it?" "You should get highlights or layer it." I'm like "I am doing something. I'm letting it shine in all it's natural glory." She doesn't get it. In her day, it was all about the finger curls, waves , she's been making her hair blond since he was 16.

I honestly think really loving your hair makes it grow stronger and faster. I know it sounds funny ,but I think it has something to do with positive thinking. Love it and it will love you back darlin. :)

It really is amazing how the mind can affect the body. I think I agree with you on the fact that positive thinking makes hair grow more. :D

cardamom:

You're most welcome! I find the blue-black color looks so enchanting.

Country Hopper:

My hair loves oil and it soaks it up like crazy. I find that using only one drop works for my daily oiling since I'm only concentrating on my ends. On or before wash day I go all out and put two or three drops in. My hair looks super greasy when I do this because I'm putting so much oil in, but it washes out with beautiful results.

I am yet to try coconut oil. I currently use jojoba.

countryhopper
March 13th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Thanx for the advice on oiling! I'll have to try it!

Ok, another question I have :D

Has anyone here tried hairscroos? How well do they hold in slippery hair? I'd like to get some but I don't want to spend the money if they won't work.

chipzahoy
July 11th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I definitely have straight hair! It was so nice to read all of the tricks and methods you all use for taking care of your straight hair. I'm still trying to figure out the hair type thing. For sure I'm in the 1 category, because if I comb my hair it's totally flat when it dries. However there is some lift at the front where my forehead meets my hair and it does keep some body sometimes. I guess 1b? I won't know for sure until my hair gets way past SL, I think!

It's definitely very slippery and sleek, though, when undamaged. Despite any complaints I have about lack of fullness or volume, my hair is very low-maintenance! I can just wash it and let it dry knowing it'll look decent.

MsBubbles
July 11th, 2010, 01:34 PM
For sure I'm in the 1 category, because if I comb my hair it's totally flat when it dries. However there is some lift at the front where my forehead meets my hair and it does keep some body sometimes. I guess 1b? I won't know for sure until my hair gets way past SL, I think!

I'd say if you're lucky enough to have any body in your hair at all you're definitely not a 1a :)

Charlotte:)
July 11th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Hair scroos are a miracle for straight/silky hair! I am finally able to wear my hair in buns and not worry about them falling out :)

HikerTrash
July 11th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm a 1b but my hair is so fine and thin that I experience all the stuff with the elastics falling out and not being able to use heavy barrettes and things like that. It also doesn't hold a curl much. It usually looks wavy and fluffy the second morning after a wash, but within a few hours it will feel tangly and look stringy. So I get a few moments of joy out of my hair but that's it. It never looks shiny. It's frizzy. It's pretty awful hair, actually.

swellmel
July 11th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I'm a straight and silky! :D i would say i love it 95% of the time. Occasionally i'll see a picture of a woman with awesome waves and get jealous because it would take A LOT of work for mine to do that... and even then it would only a last a very short while before my hair would revolt and go straight again. :rolleyes: but i do love how straight and shiny it is. although my husband thinks i can be a little too obsessive about if it's shiny or not. he thinks it's always shiny but i can't always see it and try various things to add shine. :o i am the only straight and silky in my circle of friends and they have all expressed jealousy. lol i do consider myself extremely lucky that after i wash my hair all i do is brush it and it air dries stick straight. it's only been within the last few years that i have come to love my hair the way it is though. i'm guessing probably because it's grown the longest it's ever been these past few years and the hair styles i had before weren't exactly flattering for straight hair. once i have enough posts i'll be posting pictures. :)

HikerTrash
July 12th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I forgot to mention also that my hair gets a lot of static. I wish I lived somewhere with tropical humidity and good water because the times I've been places like that, my hair is really nice.

senorasunny
July 12th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I forgot to mention also that my hair gets a lot of static. I wish I lived somewhere with tropical humidity and good water because the times I've been places like that, my hair is really nice.

My hair gets a lot of static, too. However, I do enjoy that humidity seems to have no effect whatsoever on my hair. Frizz? What's that? :)

Cinnamoon
July 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Sounds like me! My hair is definitely a 1, I think b or c, because it has a little bit of body and a teensy bit of wave, but is mostly stick straight! I also have all the problems with things slipping out - buns don't always hold so well.

swellmel
July 12th, 2010, 01:31 PM
My hair gets a lot of static, too. However, I do enjoy that humidity seems to have no effect whatsoever on my hair. Frizz? What's that? :)

static yes. frizz no! and i am very grateful for never having frizz! if the static gets annoying i just wet my hands and rub them over my hair really quick to weigh it back down.