PDA

View Full Version : NOOOOO! They can't do that!

Rebelkat
March 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM
:justy:
I went to Wal-Mart today to pick up my Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins and my Calcium+D supplements, and they've STOPPED CARRYING MY BRAND of HSNs. They now only carry Spring Valley, which costs $2.00 more per bottle for 30 fewer caplets, so I'm more than a little frustrated. Not to mention the Calcium+D supplements my doctor recommended are $8.00 a bottle for the store brand. Is it just me or is the price of natural healthcare rising faster than the price of "traditional" medicine?

RancheroTheBee
March 27th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they were raising the price of every kind of medication. The cheapest multivitamins I could find were 7$ children vits, and you only got like... 160 tablets. Ughn.

RavennaNight
March 27th, 2009, 09:56 PM
My Natrol HSN's have been steadily rising in price by a dollar each time. Last I paid $13. Thank goodness they were on sale last week. They are getting hard to find, too.

Rebelkat
March 27th, 2009, 10:09 PM
My Natrol HSN's have been steadily rising in price by a dollar each time. Last I paid $13. Thank goodness they were on sale last week. They are getting hard to find, too.
:thud:
That's... really expensive for HSN's. How many do you get for that price?

Rain76
March 27th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I started using GNC Nourishair in Dec. A 2 month supply costs $20. I take 2 pills a day (which is the recommended doseage). I figure it is an investment in my health, and I feel good about taking them. That is expensive, though. If times get really tough, I may have to switch brands.

EmpressRi
March 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM
You are right, the calcium + D did go up. I take it a week before my cycle to help with the cramps and it went up!! I went to rite aid and it was a dollar cheaper but still.....I'm going to have to find another alternative to buy my vitamins and supplements.

akurah
March 27th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Is it just me or is the price of natural healthcare rising faster than the price of "traditional" medicine?

ROFLMAO.

Are you serious?

I mean, really, was that a joke, or were you serious? Because any possible reply that I can begin to even formulate hinges on whether or not you were serious.

Rebelkat
March 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
ROFLMAO.

Are you serious?

I mean, really, was that a joke, or were you serious? Because any possible reply that I can begin to even formulate hinges on whether or not you were serious.
I am serious, actually. The out of pocket prices of my prescriptions haven't changed much in the past couple of years (really, I have the records to prove it), but that could just be me. Maybe my insurance takes a hit on how much they pay? I doubt it, though. Something tells me that if anyone would take a hit in that situation, it would be the person the medicine is prescribed to. :shrug:

Finoriel
March 28th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I assume it wasn´t the price aspect alone which made akurah go roflmao :flower: actually viewing supplement pills as ´natural´ and ´health care´ and putting them in one level of importance with real prescribed medicine like beta blockers or insulin made me wonder about if this was meant seriously serious or more written with some ironic tone, too.
I recently found a nice humorous and self ironic article about the pill industry, maybe you´d like to read it: How quackary sells (http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/quacksell.html). It´s not surprising that they rise prices every now and then, the pills are sold for far more than the acutal production of them costs anyways.

BlackfootHair
March 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I used to take a hsn vitamin from walmart in a pink box. I switched to GNC because they are time released and have higher percentages per vitamin.

auburnlocks
March 28th, 2009, 07:32 AM
That would explain why I can't find my Vit. I Think I was taking the same kind, from Walmart. Sigh . . . Back to hunting for vits that don't make me throw-up. :mad:

Rebelkat
March 28th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I assume it wasn´t the price aspect alone which made akurah go roflmao :flower: actually viewing supplement pills as ´natural´ and ´health care´ and putting them in one level of importance with real prescribed medicine like beta blockers or insulin made me wonder about if this was meant seriously serious or more written with some ironic tone, too.
I recently found a nice humorous and self ironic article about the pill industry, maybe you´d like to read it: How quackary sells (http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/quacksell.html). It´s not surprising that they rise prices every now and then, the pills are sold for far more than the acutal production of them costs anyways.
I see. :agree:

I think I might have misunderstood what she was saying. I have both a tendency to misunderstand what people are asking me and to word things in an odd way, sometimes. I wasn't implying that vitamins are on the same level of importance as prescription medicine; being Diabetic, I can't put things that aren't proven on the same level, but I am taking them on the chance that they may help my vitamin deficiencies (it couldn't hurt, right?). I suppose "natural healthcare" was a poor choice of words on my part. Maybe I should have said "alternative solution."

Rebelkat
March 28th, 2009, 07:34 AM
That would explain why I can't find my Vit. I Think I was taking the same kind, from Walmart. Sigh . . . Back to hunting for vits that don't make me throw-up. :mad:
I have that same problem auburnlocks! Unfortunately the coating on the GNC vitamins that BlackfootHair mentioned has a tendency to gag me. Maybe they don't use that coating anymore?

akurah
March 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Rebelcat-- you are fortunate to have insurance.

Without insurance (a prospect I will be facing shortly), my monthly prescriptions will cost more than what I pay for my half of the rent, and I live in Silicon Valley, which is one of the highest priced places to live in the country.

To say "natural" or "alternative" healthcare is rising faster than traditional stuff in price, frankly... To me, it's absurd. I was offended by your original post, and my reaction was the best I could come up with at the time to keep from starting a fight.

Speckla
March 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Without insurance (a prospect I will be facing shortly), my monthly prescriptions will cost more than what I pay for my half of the rent, and I live in Silicon Valley, which is one of the highest priced places to live in the country.

To say "natural" or "alternative" healthcare is rising faster than traditional stuff in price, frankly... To me, it's absurd. I was offended by your original post, and my reaction was the best I could come up with at the time to keep from starting a fight.

Alternative treatments/homeopathic do cost more out of pocket than traditional treatments that are covered by insurance. I take natural hormones and they're not covered by my insurance but the synthetic ones are covered. I'd rather take natural. The cost goes up a few dollars every year but my copay is still the same as it was four years ago. Medical care and health upkeep is expensive no matter which way you go. I only have insurance because my employer pays our premiums. I wouldn't have it if I had to purchase it myself ($400+ a month).

I hate finding a good brand of vits and then they discontinue them or raise the price. I take a lot of supplements and buy them when the grocery store has a buy one get one free sale. I take Flexamin for my joints and the added benefit is that it has MSM in it. I've tried other cheaper brands and they did not work as well. I always stock up on those when it's buy one get one free.

Rebelkat
March 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM

I'm really sorry, Akurah! I had no idea. I didn't think that what I had posted could possibly offend anyone. So far, the area I live in has been relatively untouched by the current economic crisis, so I don't always think about the fact that people in other areas sometimes have to pay more for their prescriptions than we do here.

I was kind of upset when I wrote the original post because a lot of other things are going on in my personal life that I can't control, so perhaps I exaggerated a bit, or my tone was harsher than it should have been. I am quite frustrated at the moment, but I definitely acknowledge that it can be worse. Perhaps in the future, if we offend one another, we should tell each other outright so there are no hard feelings?

akurah
March 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I'm really sorry, Akurah! I had no idea. I didn't think that what I had posted could possibly offend anyone. So far, the area I live in has been relatively untouched by the current economic crisis, so I don't always think about the fact that people in other areas sometimes have to pay more for their prescriptions than we do here.

I was kind of upset when I wrote the original post because a lot of other things are going on in my personal life that I can't control, so perhaps I exaggerated a bit, or my tone was harsher than it should have been. I am quite frustrated at the moment, but I definitely acknowledge that it can be worse. Perhaps in the future, if we offend one another, we should tell each other outright so there are no hard feelings?

And this is why I'm glad I responded with what I did instead of going all childish "omg u suck!" (Okay, that's a bit of a stretch as to what my reply might have been, but ykwim). That and Speckla's response. :)

enfys
March 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Since things like that (here at least) are often on offer, and have long expiry dates, it's possible to bulk buy vitamins when they are reduced. It's a right royal pain though. The prices of everything are risin super fast- we got a letter in work from a supplier warning their products would be going up by as much as 25%! Last time I checked my pay didn't go up that much. It's not gone up for two years.

I guess if you're really struggling to afford them look into taking as few as possible, just the essentials. Or see if they are available online?

We just need to buy all we can on offers!

Dreamernz
March 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Omg the exact same thing happened to me at my local boots, how annoying? :mad:

Linda K
March 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Personally, from what I've been reading, we are lucky we still have the privilege of buying vitamins at all. Whether we can afford them is another story. It stinks ...

Here in the USA, we are possibly facing the end of Organic gardening if the chem companies get their way. Technically you could possibly lose your property for not complying with factory farming methods - even for your own personal comsumption. (Bill # HR 875; section 206 - 207)

Healthier always seems to be spendier ...

Linda K
March 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Omg the exact same thing happened to me at my local boots, how annoying? :mad:

Cute siggy pic! :D

Rebelkat
March 28th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Personally, from what I've been reading, we are lucky we still have the privilege of buying vitamins at all. Whether we can afford them is another story. It stinks ...

Here in the USA, we are possibly facing the end of Organic gardening if the chem companies get their way. Technically you could possibly lose your property for not complying with factory farming methods - even for your own personal comsumption. (Bill # HR 875; section 206 - 207)

Healthier always seems to be spendier ...
:bs:
That's scary as ****! I just looked that up and it's horrifying. I can't even express how scary that is to me. I can't remember who said it but I have to agree with this: I love my country, but I fear my government.

cobblersmaid
March 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I just feel like everything is so expensive. I am taking the CVS brand multi vit, and it felt expensive. Prescription meds, with or without my insurance are pretty expensive. Oh, well I guess you have to do what is best for your health and set priorities.

I keep thinking about trying some other vitamins, but the prices keep putting me off. If I do, I will get them on sale at drugstore . com or something.

BlackfootHair
August 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
:bs:
That's scary as ****! I just looked that up and it's horrifying. I can't even express how scary that is to me. I can't remember who said it but I have to agree with this: I love my country, but I fear my government.

I'm pretty sure Glen Beck says that. :)

wintersun99
August 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM

RavennaNight
August 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
:thud:
That's... really expensive for HSN's. How many do you get for that price?

I was getting 60 caplets. But I haven't found them in months now! Nobody has them anymore. Did they discontinue?

amaiaisabella
August 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I had the same thing happen to me- years ago, I used to take a chewable gummy vitamin that had fruits and vegetables in it, as well as the regular vitamins, but all the drugstores here stopped carrying it. I finally found it online and bought two bottles, and they are just as good as I remember :D Thankfully, the rest of my pills are carried at the drugstores, and I'm fortunate to have my gastritis prescription available OTC as well, so the highest price I pay is for my B/C pills.

If you remember the brand name, try Drugstore.com or Amazon- you might be able to find them there!

Sarah4983
August 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I just picked up 2 bottles of Origin Biotin at less than $2 each at Target!!!!!!!!!!
They have 100 caplets of biotin which are 1000 mcg.... I've been taking one with each meal... so 3000 mcg a day.

can't beat it!!