PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for migraine sufferers?

rose_in_bloom
March 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I get severe migraines, especially during hot weather, and every normal hairstyles tends to aggravate the migraines. It's getting into the upper 70s where I live, so I would like to learn some styles that will protect my hair without making my head hurt. Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

Teakafrog
March 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I know when I get a migraine I pretty much have to leave my hair down. The weight of any hair toys, plus the pulling required to put it up, just aggravates the pain. :brainbleach: A loose braid (emphasis on loose) is about all I can tolerate. Hope someone else has some better ideas.

Curlsgirl
March 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah sometimes even a plain braid hurts now that my hair is almost waist and heavier. A french braid works better at distributing the weight over my scalp better. I just have to be careful to not pull any section very tight. I can do a figure 8 usually with a single stick or a cinnabun if I just use Amish pins SOMETIMES. It's very difficult. I need to learn some updos that better distribute the hair since summer is coming again. I have heard the nautilus bun is good for this. Generally the lighter weight the hair toy is the better too. I pretty much cannot wear Ficcares now. I just cannot get them positioned where they do not hurt my scalp even when I don't have a headache. :(

LittleOrca
March 28th, 2009, 12:15 AM
When I have a migraine I do usually have to keep my hair down, but a scarf tied on my head to hold all my hair helps keep it controlled. When I do that, my fiance calls me a gypsy. :lol: I can sometimes stomach a twist with my EZ combs, but usually down is best for me.

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM
When I have a migraine I do usually have to keep my hair down, but a scarf tied on my head to hold all my hair helps keep it controlled. When I do that, my fiance calls me a gypsy. :lol: I can sometimes stomach a twist with my EZ combs, but usually down is best for me.

Oh that is such a good idea! I don't have migraines but I have bad sinus headaches and I never thought of doing that while trying to do housework and stuff. Thanks!

Nyghtingale
March 28th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Me too. Hair down is all I can manage. Have had one since 4:30 this morning. This is the first time I have been up all day. :headache:

longhairedfairy
March 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Me too. Hair down is all I can manage. Have had one since 4:30 this morning. This is the first time I have been up all day. :headache:

Aw, I hope it gets better soon! Make sure you stay well hydrated. Dehydration and low blood sugar are triggers for me.

I like a loose braid or hair down.

Wavelength
March 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I'm having a bad day myself. My hair is in a braid at the moment...

Darkhorse1
March 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I have to keep my hair down too. My migraines stem from tension headaches, or spasms in my neck from work, so I don't think they are classic like many of you migriane sufferers. But, the nausea I experience is brutal. So, I lay in bed and leave my hair loose. I could suggest a loose braid, but I find anything pulling on my scalp makes it tender.

Hugs to you!!

Helen Baq
March 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I always had to have my hair down when I had a migraine. I haven't had one since I found that tomatoes and red grapes (plus anything made from them, like red wine vinegar or red pizza sauce) are triggers for me. Haven't found any other triggers, so far, and I don't seem to get migraines as long as I avoid them.

When I had beaded dreadlocks I would have to take all the beads out of them. :(

jera
March 29th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I always had to have my hair down when I had a migraine. I haven't had one since I found that tomatoes and red grapes (plus anything made from them, like red wine vinegar or red pizza sauce) are triggers for me. Haven't found any other triggers, so far, and I don't seem to get migraines as long as I avoid them.

When I had beaded dreadlocks I would have to take all the beads out of them. :(

Sounds like you have a sensitivity to fruits and veggies that grow on a vine. I've frequently heard those can trigger inflammation, but luckily I'm okay with foods that grow on vines.

As a migraine sufferer though, I wear my hair down if the weather is cool or put it up in a light weight clip if it's hot.

rags
March 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I need my hair down of the migraine get bad. Mine's still short enough I don't worry about it, but when it was longer I could braid it; that's about all I can tolerate.
If it's just a bad headache (or the tail end of a migraine, like I have today) I can do a folded braid or something simple like that that doesn't pull.
This is one advantage of fine thin hair. If I can get it up without it pulling, there's very little weight to it. I just have to pick a lightweight toy to put it up with.

ATrixie
March 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Okay, this forum is reading my mind, lol!! :)

I had a probably hairstyle-related neckache & headache today, so it's helpful to know I'm not the only one!! :)
It feels impossible to wear anything but my old trusty low ponytail or low semi-bun/semi ponytail..

Does any one of you get mostly-hairstyle related headaches too? I tried a crown bun today & it just ended up a) dishevelled (I tried with no hairtoy & I'm a straightie!) b) with a headache & c) neckache to boot..
I wrote more about how I helped myself remove most of the pain in the neck-ache thread.. often helps..

Also, for migraines, check if you might be magnesium-deficient.. a lot of people are today..
google 'magnesium migraine' or 'magnesium nutrition' or such.. the site ctds.info also has a lot of info..

/am off to drink some water cause truly dehydration can be part of it too.. Thanks for reminding me!! :)/

lynnala
March 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM
My hair is very lightweight, but even with that when I have a migraine all I can do is put it over my shoulder and do a loose braid. I think having it rest on my shoulder takes some of the weight off of it.

I'd like to add to all migraine sufferers, please check into gluten intolerance. Migraines led me to discover that I have it, and once I eliminated gluten from my diet, I rarely get migraines anymore, unless I cheat, or around my period. It's a very common symptom.

Helen Baq
March 29th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Sounds like you have a sensitivity to fruits and veggies that grow on a vine. I've frequently heard those can trigger inflammation, but luckily I'm okay with foods that grow on vines.

As a migraine sufferer though, I wear my hair down if the weather is cool or put it up in a light weight clip if it's hot.

I don't have a problem with cucumbers, white grapes, or peppers, so it's not a vine thing. It's just that certain foods can trigger migraines. I used to think that meant bunches of foods, but so far I've only found the two and I have a huge list of foods that I know are fine. :)

jera
March 30th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I don't have a problem with cucumbers, white grapes, or peppers, so it's not a vine thing. It's just that certain foods can trigger migraines. I used to think that meant bunches of foods, but so far I've only found the two and I have a huge list of foods that I know are fine. :)

Glad to hear that. :) I mentioned it because there are aniti inflammatory diets that forbid all foods that grow on a vine. I don't know how they determined this, but I felt it was worth mentioning. :o

ElizaSea
March 30th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I have to agree with the hair down or in a loose braid. Then again, I spend most of my migraine time laying down in either the bedroom or in my recliner, so my head doesn't move much. If my hair's down, I'll bring it over my shoulder to keep it in place.

Runzel
April 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I get headaches that last for days, and one solution that works for me is to do two loose braids in front of my shoulders and then cross them behind my head, bringing the rest of the braids forward over my shoulders again. It seems to work better than down because the weight of my hair is completely supported by my shoulders so that there is no place where the hair is pulling even slightly by hanging down. It's the feeling of no hair while still having hair! :D

If my hair gets long enough, I figure I can even wrap the braids around for use as a neck support. I'm sure it'd look awfully funny, but whatever works, right? :lol:

morguebabe
April 13th, 2009, 06:24 PM
The only thing my head tolerates when I'm in a migraine mode is a low loose braid.

Flynn
April 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I chopped all my hair off a few years ago, and that was part of the reason. Now it's long and heavy again, and a braid done such that the braid itself is moderately tight, but the hair from scalp to braid is fairly loose, then supporting a lot of the weight of my hair by pulling the braid across my shoulder on the bad days seems to do the trick.