PDA

View Full Version : Hair type changing? help hair type me!

rags
March 27th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Okay, I know with no doubt that when I came here my hair type was a 1a/F/i. The F/i are not in question. But when I came here, I had been using extremely coney products for YEARS without clarifying (hey, I didn't know any better!). I thought clarifying was only for if you used lots and lots of mousses and gels and such. So I did the hairtype -1a, no question.
Then, I finally found a non-cone routine that I wasn't allergic to and didn't give me asthma attacks and- I seem to be developing waves?? This only shows up if I don't comb my hair wet. If I comb it when wet, straight back to 1a. So, please forgive the background in the pics (DH just grabbed the camera and took it - he was in a hurry), and give me your opinions. This is untouched hair mostly dry.

Oh, and no snickering at the pajamas either!:oIt's cold here!:D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2337&pictureid=35066

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2337&pictureid=35065

1nuitblanche
March 27th, 2009, 08:13 AM
You're right--it is pretty wavy. Maybe you're a 1c/2a?

JamieLeigh
March 27th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I'd say 2a/F/ii, honestly. That looks like a lot of volume for a "i". What's the circumference of your ponytail when you're freshly washed? When you get a bit more length, you might even be graduating into 2b, because I see the ends are trying to curl! It looks very pretty! :) And the pj's are adorable! What are you watching? lol

jivete
March 27th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Looks like 1c to me. My hair is much straighter if I comb it wet and especially if I use silicone products.

Anje
March 27th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I'm with JamieLeigh on this -- you look 2aish to me, and rather thick for a i. Make sure you're measuring circumference, not diameter.

Rhea
March 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I think also 2a and ii ... that will be right ! Wonderfull hair .

rags
March 27th, 2009, 09:37 AM
2a?? :bigeyes: I have straight hair! This is so weird! I've never had waves in my life!! ETA: Of course, I've always used cones before! :biggrin:

Oh, and I've measured and had DH measure and DD measure - my ponytail is 1.5" when using cones and 1.75" when I'm not. I put it into a ponytail with an elastic and then measured it. Was that correct? Believe me, when you comb it (and the waves promptly fall out, whether wet or dry), you can tell. Look at the avatar - you can practically see through it!

Pixna
March 27th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Personally, I would say 1a/1b or, possibly, 1b. I think to move into the 2 category the waves need to noticeable and stay there.

Just my :twocents:

Katze
March 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
2a or 2b. Your hair looks pretty wavy all over, so if that is really air dried, untouched hair, you are definitely a wavy. I don't see straight hair in that pic at all. :confused:

The definition of 2a is' loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair' and
2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair) - to me, this puts you more in the 2b category than 2a.

My hair was straight when I was a kid. It was also white blonde. So, I thought my hair was straight for the longest timw. When it is shorter, as it almost always was, it is mostly straight, more like 1b/1c (straight with a tiny bit of wave). At chin length I start getting flips and bends which then form spiral waves at my shoulders. After LHC, I realized that I do indeed have waves, and that while parts of my hair might be 'straight with body wave' (1c) other parts have spirals and S waves. But my hair is quite mixed, too.

Elenna
March 27th, 2009, 10:46 AM
With more length some of us get more wavy and vice versa. Waves can look stunning.

Phalaenopsis
March 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I've been looking into the hairtyping alot again lately, because I was doubting if I was really a 1B, I found out I am a 1a. So for over two years I walked around with the wrong hairtype in my head ;)

And, Rags, when I look at your avatar, you're not 1a, you clearly have some bodywave in it. So I would already call that 1b/1c.

And when it's freshly washed it's definitely 2a! Congrats with becoming a wavy :D

Katze
March 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I've been looking into the hairtyping alot again lately, because I was doubting if I was really a 1B, I found out I am a 1a. So for over two years I walked around with the wrong hairtype in my head ;)

And, Rags, when I look at your avatar, you're not 1a, you clearly have some bodywave in it. So I would already call that 1b/1c.

And when it's freshly washed it's definitely 2a! Congrats with becoming a wavy :D

As far as I understand it hairtype is based on untouched (uncombed, etc) hair. In order to get a 'correct' typing recently, I had to let my hair dry hanging down my back, without even wrapping it in a towel or sleeping on it damp or anything.

Her avatar shows hair that's combed while wet, as I understand it. Mine also goes straighter if I comb it or pull on it when it's wet, though it still has 'bumps' in it.

Rebelkat
March 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I noticed when I stopped using cones, the same thing happened to me. My hair is gradually getting more wavy over time. :redgrin:

I would say you're at least a 2a/ii, maybe a 2b, but I'm not an expert. The thing about hairtyping is that you're supposed to do it to UNTOUCHED hair, as parts of your routine could make it lose or gain waves/curls. Since your hair is untouched, then I'd say that you're def a 2(some letter a-c)/ii.