PDA

View Full Version : Dumb CO question

Katze
March 27th, 2009, 07:21 AM
After washing my hair on Monday with 'just' an SMT, I was really happy with the fact that it was immediately shiny and smooth, instead of having to wait a few days as is the case with my normal CWC washes.

I gave up CO, WO, and "no 'poo" two Springs ago, since my hair got so dull and my scalp so itchy and flaky without shampoo. Since the summer, I've been pretty much only washing with shampoo - CWC, CW, or WC, with occasional WO washes in between.

Reading others' posts, I get the feeling that a lot of people CO *every day* or very frequently, alternating with CWC or other wash methods. To me, this seems like too much, at least for my fine, fragile, wavy hair - it is pretty happy (and my scalp behaves) when CWC washed every 7 days or so, and my ends and length like the leave-ins and Fox's Conditioning Cream I've been using. Also, good, 'cone free, cheap conditioner is very hard to find here so using more would be wasteful.

The first part of the dumb question is: do you say you are CO if you also wash with shampoo? I thought CO meant *exclusively* CO, but get the feeling a lot of folks also 'clarify' regularly.

And part two: why would people do this? It seems like too much washing for me, too much use of conditioner (and rinsing it into the sewage system...), and a lot of extra time spent on extra washing. I'm not trying to be mean or critical at all, just to understand why others do this. :)

Occasional CO does seem to be a good thing, especially with an SMT, but I am pretty happy with my "routine" such as it is (CWC, light oilings, leave-ins) and don't see the need to wash my hair more often just to put more conditioner on it. :confused:

I know this is really dumb, but I keep thinking about it and it's bugging me. Can anyone enlighten?

And on a related note some people seem to refer to shampoo washings as washings only, but say something like 'then I CO every other day in between.' To me, getting hair wet and putting product on it, or massaging the scalp under the shower as in WO, *is* washing - so when I say I wash my hair every 7 days, that means I only ever get it wet/put product on it and massage once a week. Am I just being too literal? :D

thanks!

Honey39
March 27th, 2009, 08:24 AM
The first part of the dumb question is: do you say you are CO if you also wash with shampoo? I thought CO meant *exclusively* CO, but get the feeling a lot of folks also 'clarify' regularly.

And part two: why would people do this? It seems like too much washing for me, too much use of conditioner (and rinsing it into the sewage system...), and a lot of extra time spent on extra washing. I'm not trying to be mean or critical at all, just to understand why others do this.

Occasional CO does seem to be a good thing, especially with an SMT, but I am pretty happy with my "routine" such as it is (CWC, light oilings, leave-ins) and don't see the need to wash my hair more often just to put more conditioner on it.

I know this is really dumb, but I keep thinking about it and it's bugging me. Can anyone enlighten?

I CO almost exclusively, but I will shampoo every few weeks or so. SOme people do it more often I think.

WHY do I do it? Well, I guess it's similar to why you do your routines, lol. Because it suits me!

My hair loves being washed daily - I have a shower every morning, and I slather conditioner on my hair, leave, wash, rinse out - must add an extra 5 minutes to my routine, is all. Even if I don't CO-wash some mornings, I always soak my hair with water under the tap. I find that way I revive the curl and get these fantastic, frizz free ringlets. It's how I like my hair to look. I don't really like product, and my hair has never looked better than on this routine

I don't mind my hair being wet either - I thought it would be a pain in the winter, but I actually like the sensation.

JamieLeigh
March 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Now what makes you think that's a dumb question? Seriously, that's a pretty good one. I guess those of us who do clarify *occasionally* (mine is stretching into every 4 weeks) would find it funny to say "CO + clarify every 4 weeks". I'm the same hairtype as you, pretty much, and like you I will get too much build up if I don't clarify at least once a month. But my hair has done very well with CO so far, my ends were always so dry from frequent shampooing, so when I condition or oil, they absolutely drink up the moisture. And I only wash twice a week, and in the week that I clarify, that means I do a CO and a CWC instead of just two CO's like normal.

What I'm saying, I think, is that TO ME at least, it's understood that people will clarify every so often with CO, since that's what *I* have to do. I know not everyone gets the same results, regardless of hair typing (because the categories are pretty broad).

I really REALLY hope I'm being clear. LOL, it's been a rough morning......:o

Anje
March 27th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I CO most of the time, though I'll reach for a shampoo bar every 3 weeks or so, just for something different. I wash roughly 2-3 times per week, based on when I need it rather than on a specific schedule. For me, though, it doesn't really take any more time than any other washing -- if anything, it takes less, because I just apply the conditioner, do my other showerly things, then rinse it out. If I were to shampoo first, the shower would just be extended longer. I also don't need a lot of conditioner -- maybe 2 handfuls is enough to make my hair quite coated, so a family size bottle of Suave (something like 22 oz) lasts more than a month, and that's with DH dipping into it too.

Carolyn
March 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Reading others' posts, I get the feeling that a lot of people CO *every day* or very frequently, alternating with CWC or other wash methods. To me, this seems like too much, at least for my fine, fragile, wavy hair - it is pretty happy (and my scalp behaves) when CWC washed every 7 days or so, and my ends and length like the leave-ins and Fox's Conditioning Cream I've been using. Also, good, 'cone free, cheap conditioner is very hard to find here so using more would be wasteful.

The first part of the dumb question is: do you say you are CO if you also wash with shampoo? I thought CO meant *exclusively* CO, but get the feeling a lot of folks also 'clarify' regularly. When I describe myself as a CO washer I mean that I do CO washes most of the time. I CO wash 3 times a week with a CWC wash thrown in about every other week. It varies depending on my mood, schedule, urge to try new products, etc. I don't have a wash schedule that is set in stone.

And part two: why would people do this? It seems like too much washing for me, too much use of conditioner (and rinsing it into the sewage system...), and a lot of extra time spent on extra washing. I'm not trying to be mean or critical at all, just to understand why others do this. :)

Occasional CO does seem to be a good thing, especially with an SMT, but I am pretty happy with my "routine" such as it is (CWC, light oilings, leave-ins) and don't see the need to wash my hair more often just to put more conditioner on it. :confused:I've gone from SC washings every day to CO or CWC every 2-3 days so I am washing less with CO than I was before. I do it because I like freshly washed hair. By the 3rd day my hair is terribly yucky to me. My scalp is greasy and getting smelly and my length is getting dried out. My hair likes to get wet. It doesn't do well with extended periods of not washing. I do a very occasional WO but it doesn't do much for my hair.

I don't find it much work at all. I prefer to do long CO soaks on days I'm not working. I get up and saturate my hair in conditioner, put on a plastic conditioner cap and a Turbie twist, and let my hair sit like that for at least an hour. I'll do things like surf LHC, knit, sew, watch TV or some light house hold chores. Then I get in the bathtub and do the rinsing and apply a second conditioner while I do the bathing chores. I find the process fun (well most of the time) as I've always enjoyed washing my hair. Yes, I do use a lot of the CO conditioners but they are inexpensive and readily available where I live. I'll use a bottle a week most of the time. The bottom line for me is I like the results I get.

And on a related note some people seem to refer to shampoo washings as washings only, but say something like 'then I CO every other day in between.' To me, getting hair wet and putting product on it, or massaging the scalp under the shower as in WO, *is* washing - so when I say I wash my hair every 7 days, that means I only ever get it wet/put product on it and massage once a week. Am I just being too literal? :DI think this confusion is that some people call a CO a "washing" but not a "shampooing". I was confused about it too for a while. To me you aren't "shampooing" unless you use real shampoo, you are "washing". You are cleaning/washing with either method. Washing would include SC, CWC, CO, and WO.

mparker
March 27th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Just a quick reply here. I've been CO exclusively for about 3 months now, maybe longer. I haven't seen any need to clarify yet. What I tend to do is condition-wash usually about once in the middle of the week, with a one to two-hour SMT or catnip tea treatment on the weekends - still only CO-ing. I've found this process to be fairly low-maintenance, and keeps my hair looking pretty good (save the occasional stringy-hair Mandatory Bun Day if my CO days get shifted.)

ravenreed
March 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I have been switching off between CO and a poo bar. I go a few weeks with CO only though. For me, regardless of how I do it, if I want my hair to look decent, I have to wash every other day. I was hoping to stretch it to 3, but by the third day I look like someone poured grease in my hair and I am just not willing to go out and about looking like that. I actually get less oiliness to my hair than with CO over shampoo, however. I guess I get major rebound oilies. I like the way my hair looks with CO, so I may stick to that. Less fly aways.

There is a very fine line for me between, "Wow, my hair looks great! So shiny and healthy." and "Whoa, I have GOT to wash my hair, it looks lank and stringy." For me I can start the day with the first and end it with the second. *sigh*

Katze
March 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM
OK, I get it now. I was indeed being too literal - and always thought I was weird for not having a 'fixed' routine - but it sounds like many of you don't either. Duhhh... :silly:

maybe I will try more CO washing, since I wash relatively infrequently anyway. Dunno if it really makes a difference (for me) if I oil my hair on dirty days and use a lot of leave-in, or if I occasionally CO...guess I will have to ask my scalp.

thanks for the clarification (no pun intended)!

Katze

Eireann
March 27th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'm brand new to the CO lifestyle, so I 'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this :p, but. . .

I swim 3+ times a week in a chlorinated pool, and I had been shampooing after every swim to get the chlorine out, and then WO on the nonswimming days. I felt that this was too much shampooing, but wanted to do something to help rinse the chlorine out of my hair, so I am now experimenting with CO on swimming days and WO on the nonswimming days. I'm only on day one of this plan, so I can't really say how it's working out. LOL! Though, after one day, I really like my hair!!

Katze
March 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I'm brand new to the CO lifestyle, so I 'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this :p, but. . .

I swim 3+ times a week in a chlorinated pool, and I had been shampooing after every swim to get the chlorine out, and then WO on the nonswimming days. I felt that this was too much shampooing, but wanted to do something to help rinse the chlorine out of my hair, so I am now experimenting with CO on swimming days and WO on the nonswimming days. I'm only on day one of this plan, so I can't really say how it's working out. LOL! Though, after one day, I really like my hair!!

I have to shampoo after swimming, otherwise I feel weird. But Monday's SMT CO wash was the first time I did this, and it really seemed to have no adverse effects. I also left the SMT on for a couple of hours after coming home from the pool. I swim 1-2x a week (this will change when baby gets here)

My swimming has only been since I have been pregnant and can't do martial arts, and during that same time I have used more sulfate shampoos since my hair was greasier at the beginning of my pregnancy. However, I'm thinking that continuing to wash less, with CWC or WC alternating with CO or WO, will probably be OK.

For me, getting my hair wet more often makes me worry I am damaging it, but because of my hair's history (damaged, would never grow) I am a bit paranoid about being extra gentle with it. Also, it looks better with less washing.

When I was exclusively no-poo, I liked my hair on the first day too. But it got greasier faster, meaning I had to get it wet more often, and eventually I had to use shampoo.

It's good to hear some real stories on CO because I guess I had the wrong impression the whole time!

GlassEyes
March 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Clarifying needs to be done for everyone, though for some more often than not, so I don't think it needs to be mentioned.

Plus, I think the consensus is that CO does not = no clarifying. Conditioner builds up over time too. You don't need to use shampoo, but something usually needs to be done. And someone who 'COs', just does conditioner only washes. It needn't be exclusive.

Katze
March 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Clarifying needs to be done for everyone, though for some more often than not, so I don't think it needs to be mentioned.

Plus, I think the consensus is that CO does not = no clarifying. Conditioner builds up over time too. You don't need to use shampoo, but something usually needs to be done. And someone who 'COs', just does conditioner only washes. It needn't be exclusive.

thanks, you answered my question in a concise way (I am one day past baby's due date so not thinking all that well). That was exactly what I needed to know. :)

atlantaz3
March 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I've been watching the co threads also. Gave it a go about three weeks ago. I decided to condition my dry hair go for a run and then condition wash as usual. I felt like I couldn't rinse out all the conditioner and ended up doing a 1/4 strength shampoo wash. I "wash" my hair about twice a week - about every four days - five gets to be a stretch. My plan is to condition wash every other time and see how it works for a month or so. The three weeks of contion only - well my hair didn't really get oily or greasy - but it just didn't feel clean. Also I think my hair gets to soft (read over conditioned?) with a conditioner only wash.
But in the thought plan of helping the highlights I'll try the co wash every other time and dilute the shampoo to at least 1/2 strenght for the next month.

Silverlox
March 27th, 2009, 03:20 PM
First of all, it's not a dumb question! How would we ever learn anything if we didn't ask questions? :flower:

I think that for many CO-ers, some kind of build-up happens, thus the need to clarify every now and then. Especially if you CO using cony conditioners. Perhaps many feel that since clarifying is part of the system, it's okay to still call it CO because that's what you're doing most of the time.

I think they do it simply because it makes them feel good. Some people feel a need to wash hair very frequently, either to avoid becoming a greaseball or just in order to generally feel clean. If you are a daily washer, I don't think that habit will change if you switch from shampoo washes to CO or WO.

Regarding the waste factor, is it really more wasteful to CO daily than to CWC or WC daily? What about daily showers using soap, shower gel or other "skin detergents" with or without any type of hair wash?
I don't mean to bash you at all, Katze, I'm merely asking. Mainly because I, myself, find it so hard to find the "right" place to draw the line between good hygiene and wastefulness..
While I do agree with you about wastefulness in theory, I also have the feeling that only people who actually live in countries with ample water supplies (and hopefully subsequent good water cleaning systems!) are able to engage in this kind of "wasteful" behaviour.
In areas where water usage is limited due to lack of supply this will rarely be an issue at all.

I have extremely fine and fragile hair which needs to not be messed with too often. That paired with very dry, eczema-prone water-and-soap-hating skin prevents me from daily soap/shampoo/condish filled showers and saves me from engaging in this particular brand of wastefulness. I am well aware that since I abstain out of necessity, I have no moral high horses to mount on this particular subject. :o

Not dumb! Far from it! Please stop calling yourself or your questions dumb and instead realise that what you really have is an inquisitive mind. A sure fire sign of intelligence and willingness to learn new things! :thumbsup:

And on a related note some people seem to refer to shampoo washings as washings only, but say something like 'then I CO every other day in between.' To me, getting hair wet and putting product on it, or massaging the scalp under the shower as in WO, *is* washing - so when I say I wash my hair every 7 days, that means I only ever get it wet/put product on it and massage once a week. Am I just being too literal? :D

I would say that yes, you are being literal, but why is that a bad thing? If we were all more literal, we would probably have less problems understanding each other. :p
Too literal? Who knows? :shrug:

Regarding this question, perhaps the problem is not whether you are being too literal, but how differently we all define CO. If you look at CO as the words Conditioner Only they look deceptively self evident, but it's obvious they are not.
I sometimes speak of a CO wash, meaning one particular hair wash session where I use only condish and no 'poo, - mainly to differentiate it from my "normal" washing sessions which entail the use of shampoo. (CWC)

Apart from that, I'm with you on the definition of "washing" hair. When *I* say that I wash my hair once a week, I mean exactly the same as you i.e. I only wet my hair, applying water with or without products, plus some measure of rubbing/massaging once a week. The rest of the week it remains dry.

When I'm in Spain during the hot summer, I still only wash it once a week, but I'll rinse my hair every day because I get so sweaty. But that is literally only a rinse = merely sticking my head under the shower head or tap, running water over my hair. No product/s and no massaging.

Peter
March 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I CO once a week. That means I wet my hair in the shower once a week, and wash my scalp with conditioner. I rarely wash my ends with anything other than water.

I shampoo my scalp whenever CO washes get less effective and my hair gets greasy quickly. I use very little but it still makes my scalp itchy. I started CO almost 3 months ago and have shampooed only once, despite using coconut oil 2-3 times/week.

You mentioned frequent washing and how it might take a lot of time and a lot of conditioner. When I used shampoo I had to wash every 3-4 days. I only use a bit more conditioner than I did when I did S/C, but I'm washing about half as often, so I'm actually saving conditioner, water, time, etc. :D

DarleneH
March 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I gave up CO, WO, and "no 'poo" two Springs ago, since my hair got so dull ....

So I'm not the only one who gets dull hair when I try skipping shampoo? I read all these testimonies of people here who give up shampoo and have shiny, luxurious hair, but mine just goes dull, coarse looking even though it is far from coarse, and stiff. It loses it's waves and silkiness. It literally looks old, and I've got enough trouble fighting looking old without that! I tried brushing today to see if I just didn't have sebum distributed enough, and it was no help. Just made my canopy puff up unattractively.

Speckla
March 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Lately I've been just cowashing and doing ACV rinses every 3-4 days. My hair has been much happier and healthier looking lately.

MotherConfessor
March 27th, 2009, 08:26 PM
not a stupid question. As far as doing it every day, most of us americans are raised to bathe and wash every day.

darkwaves
March 27th, 2009, 08:48 PM
My hair loves being washed daily
>
I find that way I revive the curl and get these fantastic, frizz free ringlets.

I'm glad Honey39 answered with the Curly Response. This, I can understand!

I don't wash my hair daily, but I would if I wanted to wear my hair loose every day.

My hair loves water, and washing it (shampoo, CO, bars, or just plain water) makes it springy and curly. The longer between washes, though, the straighter it gets.

It's as if the curl just dries out and blows away.

I've tried scalp washes -- but my hair prefers to keep the scalp dry, and have the ends soaked... Not that I oblige it much. I wear my hair up 90% of the time, and usually wash no more frequently than two or three times every two weeks.

I guess we're all different!

Heavenly Locks
March 28th, 2009, 12:18 AM
When I say CO, I mean CO. I haven't used any shampoo in a month and don't plan to.

I went from CWC once every 5-6 days to CO every 3-4 days now.

I personally like the CO better because I don't have nearly as much 'stripping' of the oils out of my scalp and hair like I used to. I have second day hair, the first day.

I do wonder like you, if the more often wetting is damaging...

Honey39
March 28th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I do wonder like you, if the more often wetting is damaging...

I think it depends on hair type, maybe? My hair absolutely thrives on being wet and having either leave-in conditioner or oil added to the ends. Also, when it's wet is the only type I can really manipulate my hair (combing it, shaping it etc), so it doesn't get any other damage.

I dunno, maybe I have pretty tough hair, but I've been CO-washing most days for nine months, and it's the best my hair has ever been. When I do have to shampoo/clarify it, I hate the feeling of all the hairs being scuffed up and wiry, I can feel my hair transforming into bushy, frizzy hair when I add shampoo - I never get that with CO-washing!

It's great finding a routine that works for you, isn't it? :)

Katze
March 28th, 2009, 09:33 AM
First of all, it's not a dumb question! How would we ever learn anything if we didn't ask questions? :flower:

I think they do it simply because it makes them feel good. Some people feel a need to wash hair very frequently, either to avoid becoming a greaseball or just in order to generally feel clean. If you are a daily washer, I don't think that habit will change if you switch from shampoo washes to CO or WO.

Regarding the waste factor, is it really more wasteful to CO daily than to CWC or WC daily? What about daily showers using soap, shower gel or other "skin detergents" with or without any type of hair wash?

I am known for asking 'too many critical questions' so I just wanted to make sure that no one thinks I am being mean. I thought about it for several days before posting, because it has been on my mind for a while.

Perhaps washing with conditioner daily isn't any more wasteful or harmful than washing with shampoo. I dunno, because I don't shower daily either. I do 'wash up' if I am sweaty, but even when I was at my worst hair damaging behavior, I never washed my hair every day - my hair got too dry.

only people who actually live in countries with ample water supplies (and hopefully subsequent good water cleaning systems!) are able to engage in this kind of "wasteful" behaviour.
In areas where water usage is limited due to lack of supply this will rarely be an issue at all.

I have extremely fine and fragile hair which needs to not be messed with too often. That paired with very dry, eczema-prone water-and-soap-hating skin prevents me from daily soap/shampoo/condish filled showers and saves me from engaging in this particular brand of wastefulness. I am well aware that since I abstain out of necessity, I have no moral high horses to mount on this particular subject. :o

I would say that yes, you are being literal, but why is that a bad thing? If we were all more literal, we would probably have less problems understanding each other. :p
Too literal? Who knows? :shrug:

Regarding this question, perhaps the problem is not whether you are being too literal, but how differently we all define CO. If you look at CO as the words Conditioner Only they look deceptively self evident, but it's obvious they are not.
I sometimes speak of a CO wash, meaning one particular hair wash session where I use only condish and no 'poo, - mainly to differentiate it from my "normal" washing sessions which entail the use of shampoo. (CWC)

Apart from that, I'm with you on the definition of "washing" hair. When *I* say that I wash my hair once a week, I mean exactly the same as you i.e. I only wet my hair, applying water with or without products, plus some measure of rubbing/massaging once a week. The rest of the week it remains dry.

So at least we two are in agreement on what washing means. :D

My hair and skin also don't like too much soap. I don't wash daily because it makes my hair dry and frizzy (and probably would hinder growth) and my skin tight and prone to eczema, like you.

I do tend to be much too literal. As a kid, I'd see 'don't walk' signs, and think 'how stupid, why should I stop walking right in the middle of the road!' So 'conditioner only' did sound like 'I wash my hair with only conditioner' - and when I tried that, it didn't work.

So I'm not the only one who gets dull hair when I try skipping shampoo? I read all these testimonies of people here who give up shampoo and have shiny, luxurious hair, but mine just goes dull, coarse looking even though it is far from coarse, and stiff. It loses it's waves and silkiness. It literally looks old, and I've got enough trouble fighting looking old without that! I tried brushing today to see if I just didn't have sebum distributed enough, and it was no help. Just made my canopy puff up unattractively.

yeah, it didn't work for me after about four months. I 'accidentally' washed with shampoo as I was at BF's parents and didn't have anything else, and my hair was SO wonderful, shiny and soft and full again. I think, as in many things, moderation is the key.

not a stupid question. As far as doing it every day, most of us americans are raised to bathe and wash every day.

That's probably why it is seen as 'hard' to get long hair!

I think it depends on hair type, maybe? My hair absolutely thrives on being wet and having either leave-in conditioner or oil added to the ends. Also, when it's wet is the only type I can really manipulate my hair (combing it, shaping it etc), so it doesn't get any other damage.

I dunno, maybe I have pretty tough hair, but I've been CO-washing most days for nine months, and it's the best my hair has ever been. When I do have to shampoo/clarify it, I hate the feeling of all the hairs being scuffed up and wiry, I can feel my hair transforming into bushy, frizzy hair when I add shampoo - I never get that with CO-washing!

It's great finding a routine that works for you, isn't it? :)

I still haven't really found one, though I do know that sulfate shampoos are good every few weeks or so. I don't like the frizz of the day after shampooing, because I literally can't do anything with my hair, but as I said, 'conditioner ONLY' or no shampoo made my scalp crusty and my hair lifeless. So it has to be a mix.

What I do like is knowing what works and what doesn't, but I feel confident enough to experiment a bit more now, perhaps even trying some more CO washes...

PurpleAshes
March 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I've gone 5 months without using shampoo, and my hair looks fine.

But since most people who CO use shampoo somewhat often, now I'm wondering if I should use shampoo? Maybe I have buildup and haven't noticed? xD

Silverlox
March 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I am known for asking 'too many critical questions' so I just wanted to make sure that no one thinks I am being mean. I thought about it for several days before posting, because it has been on my mind for a while.

Hehehe.. I know your problem. I'm an eternal question-asker myself. It's just because I want to know. About everything, basically.. :silly:
But, of course, since I'm a Teacher, my opinion on this is obviously that asking questions is a Good Thing(tm)!!:p

Silverlox
March 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I've gone 5 months without using shampoo, and my hair looks fine.

But since most people who CO use shampoo somewhat often, now I'm wondering if I should use shampoo? Maybe I have buildup and haven't noticed? xD

I'm certainly no expert in non-shampoo usage, as I've never gone off it myself. However, my impression is that build-up is generally noticed by the hair owner. If your hair looks and feels fine, why mess with it? :shrug:

Carolyn
March 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm certainly no expert in non-shampoo usage, as I've never gone off it myself. However, my impression is that build-up is generally noticed by the hair owner. If your hair looks and feels fine, why mess with it? :shrug:I think you'll know when you have build up. Your won't feel "right" anymore. Most often it's a coated feeling or a feeling of lankness. I wouldn't worry about it. Don't go looking for trouble.

PurpleAshes
March 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Heh, I guess I'll just leave my hair alone then :D
Thanks for your help, Carolyn and Silverlox.

MoonCreature
March 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I've been CO for a year now. The most important thing for me is that I can't use any product with mineral oils or 'cones, because then I will need clarifying. If I skip these, I can go long periods without even having to look at a bottle of shampoo/ACV/something else.

I started being CO by shampoing with a cone and mineral oil-free shampoo, just to get the residues out. After that I don't think I used shampoo once during the first 7-8 months. I tried it once (just to notice that my hair hated it and I had to jump back in the shower and slather it with conditioner) and when I broke my ankle in January I used shampoo and co with cones and mineral-oils again (I didn't want to bother my mum to run around and get me the right products) and my hair hated it again :silly: It got all tangled up (may be partly because I was in bed a lot, but I tried to keep it out of the way), dull and dry.

I CO my hair every 3-5 days, when I wash myself (I hope people don't get grossed out by this :p), when using shampoo I had to wash every 2-3 days or it was a nightmare.

I'm actually considering using a very diluted shampoo now, because I have been swimming 2-3 times a week for the last month or so and I'm afraid of what the chlorine may do. But in that case it will be a shampoo without cones and I will slather the hair with co after. And I don't consider myself being CO if I use shampoo on a regular basis :)

To sum it up:
-I don't need to clarify when cone and mineral-oil free (well at least I didn't need to for about 8 months, I haven't got longer experience than that)
-I wash my hair less when on CO, taking in consideration that it may take a day for it to dry completely I wouldn't dream of washing daily
-It doesn't take longer in the shower, but I gain a lot of time not having to fight the tangles after
-It works for me and my hair :)

RoseRedDead
March 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I do the occasional clarification perhaps... 4-6 months? It really depends on what I've used; like recently, I visited family in Ohio and my cousin's wife fixed my hair with some cone-y serums and the like... I clarified that out because my hair was feeling rather funky when I came home.

Katze, your questions aren't stupid. I like that you asked this, because I hadn't really thought about it before.

Bottom line, I just think it depends on what your hair likes, and frankly, it's just easier to say "I'm CO."

misspriss
March 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Oh goodness, not stupid questions. I never know what some people mean when they say they CO, or CWC, or WO, etc. I think a little bit is up to the person.

I say that I CO. Which means 9 times out of 10, I CO. With conditioner only. But this means two different things to me too, two different techniques. Other than that, I CWC. But by two different methods, I mean somtimes I use a thin, suave-y conditioner, and scrub my scalp with my fingers. Then I use a heavier conditioner all over, after rinsing out the cheapy. I would consider one my "washing" conditioner, and one my "conditioning" conditioner, but they are both conditioners, so it is CO. Then there is the method I first learned on LHC, I just slather on some suave and leave it there while I do everythign else in the shower, massage and rinse out. I don't feel like this gets my hair as clean as the first method, but it is faster and easier, and it works good enough. I just find I have to CO more often this way.

So what I mean to say is, CO is complicated to me.

But I do CWC to clarify too! I don't have a set time to do it, it's not part of my "regular" routine, so I don't mentioned it. I just say that I CO. It's totally subjective.

I CO every time I shower, 2-4 times a week. Not very often. I CO every time I shower, especially when I wear it curly, because it doesn't do curl without being wet/conditioned. Even if I don't wear it curly, it just usually looks pretty crappy by the time I get around to washing it.

CaityBear
March 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, doing CO just means you do most of the time. I usually do CO and sometimes use a shampoo bar if I feel like my hair isn't getting clean and then I just start all over again. It doesn't take me much longer than usual (unless I feel like dawdling) I usually massage conditioner in at the beginning, put it up in a clip, do everything else, rinse it out and I'm out.

Katze
March 30th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Hehehe.. I know your problem. I'm an eternal question-asker myself. It's just because I want to know. About everything, basically.. :silly:
But, of course, since I'm a Teacher, my opinion on this is obviously that asking questions is a Good Thing(tm)!!:p

Me too, and I'm also a teacher (EFL at Uni) and think that question asking is good. But on the internet this can come across the wrong way, especially if one tends to be "too direct."

CO really did sound like 'conditioner only' to me. :D

If I could do more CO *washes* (heh heh) and still wash as seldom as I do, I would be very happy, as I think they are better for my length...we'll see...

Silverlox
March 30th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Me too, and I'm also a teacher (EFL at Uni) and think that question asking is good. But on the internet this can come across the wrong way, especially if one tends to be "too direct."

A fellow Teacher! No wonder we're both so literal. It's necessary for the job, especially when you teach languages and have to make clear distinctions between words. :cheese:

Yeah, well.. Me being the way I am, I tend to see directness as a Good Thing(tm). It saves a lot of time, otherwise wasted by beating around the bush. :thumbsup:

Eh.. Can you tell that I'm really low on diplomatic skills? :p

CO really did sound like 'conditioner only' to me. :DOf course it does! Because that's exactly what it means. :agree:

If I could do more CO *washes* (heh heh) and still wash as seldom as I do, I would be very happy, as I think they are better for my length...we'll see...LOL
You see? You've already found a way around it, so you can modify it, while still being literal and keeping the "original" meaning intact. :rockerdud

Katze
March 30th, 2009, 05:15 AM
A fellow Teacher! No wonder we're both so literal. It's necessary for the job, especially when you teach languages and have to make clear distinctions between words. :cheese:

Yeah, well.. Me being the way I am, I tend to see directness as a Good Thing(tm). It saves a lot of time, otherwise wasted by beating around the bush. :thumbsup:

Eh.. Can you tell that I'm really low on diplomatic skills? :p

Of course it does! Because that's exactly what it means. :agree:

LOL
You see? You've already found a way around it, so you can modify it, while still being literal and keeping the "original" meaning intact. :rockerdud

Hahaha, you're great! :cheese:

Silverlox
March 30th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Thank you! :flower:

Regarding a completely different matter, - on a scale of 1 to 10, exactly how fed up and impatient are you, waiting for baby Kitty to arrive? Under or over 25? :wink:

Katze
March 30th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Thank you! :flower:

Regarding a completely different matter, - on a scale of 1 to 10, exactly how fed up and impatient are you, waiting for baby Kitty to arrive? Under or over 25? :wink:

hahaha, either under zero or over 50. :D When my contractions started THREE WEEKS AGO BF and I got ourselves mentally ready, but now we've been waiting so long that it honestly doesn't feel real anymore. I am beginning to think this baby is like the moon landing - it COULD be a trick of technology and a big conspiracy, and I just have really, really bad indigestion...:silly:

Silverlox
March 30th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Hm.. Yes. I've heard that some kids are so comfortable in there that they're reluctant to leaving for unknown territories.

Or perhaps your little kitten is just really camera shy.. ? :wink:

Katze
March 31st, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hm.. Yes. I've heard that some kids are so comfortable in there that they're reluctant to leaving for unknown territories.

Or perhaps your little kitten is just really camera shy.. ? :wink:

No clue. But my parents arrive in two days and I was really hoping to be a bit recovered before they get here. HA!

Back to the thread topic, I just CO washed after my swim, and blowdried (blowdamped) my hair straight, combing as I went, then combed again while drying. It is VERY sleek and smooth and probably 1b straight, but I am not sure I like it as this enhances my scalp cleavage. Gonna see how I like walking around with softer, smoother, straighter, flatter hair for the next few days. It FEELS nice, but my scalp feels a bit itchy already.