PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair on Regis & Kelly

mellie
March 27th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Yesterday (Thursday), there was a lovely Hawaiian lady with very thick, wavy, very long hair. They brought in a stylist to help her tame her hair. Apparently this is a series this week called "Bad Hair Week". Here's the site:

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/regisandkelly/contests/badhairmakeover/index.html

You can click to see videos too!

JamieLeigh
March 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM
http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/regisandkelly/contests/badhairmakeover/pl_images/Louise%20Shadonix.jpg

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/regisandkelly/contests/badhairmakeover/pl_images/Jaisson.jpg

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/regisandkelly/contests/badhairmakeover/pl_images/Philip%20Russell.jpg

Um....what was wrong with those three people's hair? Just because it's long, it's "bad hair"?? Those actually looked to be in pretty decent condition...and "Jaisson" has the most beautiful curls I've EVER seen on a guy!! :thudpile:

andrea1982
March 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Some of the "before" pictures look like the "curly's brush your hair" thread pictures. It's like try to make it look as poofy as possible, and the people probably never wear their hair that way in real life. It's sad that our culture had such a bias against long hair and natural texture :(.

Kuchen
March 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM
At least they're all smiling in their "before" pix.

GlassEyes
March 27th, 2009, 09:22 AM
At least they're all smiling in their "before" pix.
This is true.

I feel bad for the ones that are obviously blowdried, though the one they left curly will be happier than them if they taught her to maintain it.

Blowdrying is a paaaaain.

mellie
March 27th, 2009, 04:07 PM
JamieLeigh, I hadn't even seen those ones! Those look great in their before pics!

Andrea1982 said:

Some of the "before" pictures look like the "curly's brush your hair" thread pictures. It's like try to make it look as poofy as possible, and the people probably never wear their hair that way in real life. It's sad that our culture had such a bias against long hair and natural texture .

You're very right. I was sorry to see the Hawaiian woman's 'after' pic. She lost a lot of length, and I don't like that they apparently flat-ironed it too. :-(

Spike
March 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM
My eyes!!! My beautiful half-melted eyes!!!

Sweet barking cheese, did I really see that? They bleached out a bunch of the color the Hawaiian woman had put in, THEN they overdyed the al dente strands, THEN they put in highlights.

How long is she going to have that swingy mane of carmel-colored hair before it melts off her head from being run in circles? Dye on, dye off, dye on, dye off, blowdry and iron . . .

I need to go lie down in a darkened room . . . < swoons >

Themyst
March 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yep, now they look as boring as everyone else out there.

janeytilllie
March 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I think the Hawaiian lady looked better before. Her hair was so lovely. I would die for her thickness!

I think shows like this are bad. They make women and men belive that curly hair/frizzy is not normal or pretty. Why do they always straighten hair on these make over shows?

Also they always dress them in nice clothes and make after. So it appears that they look all over better with there new hair do.

My hair is wavy/curly and it use to be thick. I watched a make over show and it made me feel so bad, so I straigthend my hair to death :(

The poor lady will not realise the maintence she have to put in and damage will slowly build. I think she only needed a trim and a good deep condition.

And it appears they tried to pressure her to go really short, but she stood her ground. Good for her! :D

Bene
March 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM
i really didn't like the before pictures. i thought the after images were an improvement, but i don't like all the effort or the loss of length. most of those women could've just solved their hair issues with some oil and damp bunning.

mellie
March 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I agree, it would have been nice to show real, honest, healthy things to do for very thick, curly hair, instead of disastrous things like flat-ironing every day....sigh!! However, that's why LHC is here, luckily!!

Heavenly Locks
March 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
It's sad that our culture had such a bias against long hair and natural texture :(.

Here here!!

Why oh why can't we love what we are given?? I don't want to fit into a hair 'mold'. :(

gmdiaz
March 28th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I am freakishly interested in before and after photos.

But it makes me feel so sad to see the WAY that these people choose to "improve" the look of the hair. . .you know it's so damaging and temporary and there is something lost too. . .when you put someone in a "beautiful" mould.

I really love to see people love/acknowledge/and embrace their unique set of qualities. You can always take better care of yourself and learn better techniques. . .

That is what is so much fun about this place, LHC. . .I am so glad I found you guys.

mellie
March 28th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I really love to see people love/acknowledge/and embrace their unique set of qualities. You can always take better care of yourself and learn better techniques. . .

That is what is so much fun about this place, LHC. . .I am so glad I found you guys.

I agree! I'm so glad I found this place too! :flowers:

bttrfly857
March 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Alright, I watch this cr@p, and I just wanted to point out that all those people actually submitted their photos because they wanted makeovers. Sure, I think their hair is way over done and could have looked much better/more natural if they just came here, but they did want makeovers. It's not like the show picked them from the audience and forced them to cut, like other shows do

Anje
March 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
It really does look like they picked up a bunch of folks with curly hair, brushed it so it would be all puffy, and took a "before" pic. Then cut them and passed out the flat irons.

Why is it unacceptable in the main stream for people to have curly hair?!?! I love curls!

Anje
March 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
OK, there are some great kids' pictures in the "before"s.
http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/regisandkelly/contests/badhairmakeover/pl_images/Ted&#37;20Daeffler.jpg

mellie
March 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hehe, that photo is awesome! :D

Forever_Sophie
March 28th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Boy, do the "befores" look exaggerated! I do love Loren's after, reminds me of Camilla from WNTW.

Gladtobemom
March 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM
This totally ticks me off!

If you brush a curly girl's hair . . . it looks like that.

Can you imagine how beautiful their hair would've looked with an SMT, and a curly hair dressing like Rockin' Ringlets.

ONLY one girl got that kind of treatment, and they cut off all her hair. did they give it the curly girl treatment before they cut it?

:justy:

smilinjenn71
March 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I agree that these people submitted themselves, so they are looking for help with their hair and/or change. Let's give credit where it's due. The stylist that did Amanda Kish totally respected the fact that she wanted to keep most of her length AND keep her curls. She helped Amanda learn how to style her curls to make them look really great and less frizzy!

Bottom line is, not everyone will embrace their natural hair ... and that is OK!! Really, it is!! There are those of us that wish to 'fit' into society and there is nothing wrong with that. Just as it's OK for others that do not wish to conform. That's the beauty of our differences.:flower:

Tornerose
March 28th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I think alot of them looked better before... too bad they didn't know the first thing about haircare.. Did you see the brushes some of them used? omg!

CaliRose
March 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I love Kelly's reaction to the Hawaiian girl's hair before and during:

"I love her hair...I LOVE her hair."
"That is what I think I'll look like when I look in the mirror, but I don't." (Meaning she wants to look in the mirror and see hair like that?)
"They're cutting it?! [Sounding concerned] Are they done cutting now?"

Finally, a different reaction than all those hosts that seem to want huge changes, drastic cuts, color, etc.
The end look was nice and girl seemed happy. I think she was going for that sleek look it's nice that they listened to her requests! It did look nice, but there was something awesome about the initial look that was wild and crazy.

Fifty-Five
March 28th, 2009, 10:53 PM
It always bugs me when I see someone who thinks they need to 'improve' their look with the latest trends. o.o Yes, I know that there's nothing to stop it, really, but it bugs me none the less. Media and 'fashion' like to encourage it because it makes money. >.> Even still, I don't know why so many discourage against any real length.

A friend of mine had the most beautiful waist length hair I'd even seen, but then she started watching ANTM and for some reason began hanging on to every word she heard. She chopped her hair off to her shoulders, got the ugliest bangs I'd ever seen, and through a whole bunch of highlights and such that only look good according to the latest trends... it's only been of late that she's let it grow at all.

lizzyjo
March 29th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I love how they sent the one lady to a curly-haired salon and kept her natural texture. (And the stylest said she only needed to wash her hair once or twice a week!) I wish they had done that to all the contestants. Honestly, do they think that these ladies will spend an hour on their hair each morning washing, blowdrying, straightening and applying products?

longhairedfairy
March 29th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I didn't like the before, mostly because they were so frizzy (I bet they did that on purpose for the photos, though), but the problem could most likely have been fixed without going to extremes if they knew how to care for it properly.

AmandaPanda
March 30th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I truly believe the before pictures are exaggerated. They purposely made their hair look unmanageable to get the makeover.

birthmarkie
March 30th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Ugh. When Kelly said she was going to use the person's chopped hair for extensions, it made me feel sick to my stomach.

JamieLeigh
March 31st, 2009, 08:56 AM
Bottom line is, not everyone will embrace their natural hair ... and that is OK!! Really, it is!! There are those of us that wish to 'fit' into society and there is nothing wrong with that. Just as it's OK for others that do not wish to conform. That's the beauty of our differences.:flower:

Agreed. However some of the things that were being done were very damaging to hair, and will be expensive and take time to maintain. Plus, if those people were to ever want a change again, it will take even more time and money to undo the damage and color that those styles cause/require. IMHO, it's better to find a more natural solution to obtain a style you want and admire than to just hand scissors and bleach to a stylist and say "do your worst!" There is always a way, one just has to look for it.

But yes, those folks did ask for it. :o

AutumnSky
March 31st, 2009, 09:17 AM
Did you see what she was doing to her hair with that brush?!?! no wonder it's unruly...why can't they just have someone teach these ladies how to care properly for what they have?