PDA

View Full Version : So what happened to my slip?

missmanytoes
April 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
I've noticed lately that my hair has lost its slip. Thinking back, it's probably been like this for about 6 months or so, but because I haven't had it down much to play with, I haven't really noticed the lack of slip. Generally my every day do is just a quick twisted bun fastened with a barrette. Nothing fancy, just quick, easy and secure. The only environmental changes I can think of is I used to work in an actual office and now I work in a dusty warehouse type environment. But if the dust accumulating on my hair is causing lack of slip, don't you think I'd have slip when my hair is freshly cleaned? I thought the dust might be the culprit until I realized that even after a heavy overnight olive oiling I'm missing the slip. I haven't tried a stripping shampoo yet because every time I do that my hair squeaks and I'm convinced that's a Bad Thing, but maybe I've got some mineral build up from the dust in the air at work?

Curlsgirl
April 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Were you doing anything differently when you used to have slip? Could just be you need a clarifying or that your hair is changing and you need more conditioner or something. Do you shampoo, CO, oil, use cones etc.? It would help to know your routine and what products you are using.

jel
April 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
It sounds to me too that you might need clarifying. Don't worry about the shampoo making your hair squeaky - just slather your hair with loads of moisturising conditioner afterwards.

Anyway, lack of slip could be due to buildup of silicones, oils, protein, even hard water... Let us know about your routine and which products you use.

Calista
April 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
OT: Is it just me that went :spitting: when reading the thread title?

In my corner of the world a slip is the nether part of one´s underwear... :D

Bucatini
April 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
OT: Is it just me that went :spitting: when reading the thread title?

In my corner of the world a slip is the nether part of one´s underwear... :D

Oh my word. That is SO funny. Thank you, Calista.

missmanytoes
April 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
I generally was my hair every 3rd or 4th day, or rather wash the scalp and let the lather trickle down the length. I condition every time my hair gets wet whether or not it has been washed. Since I've taken the job at the big box warehouse I've noticed that I have to wash more often than I had been when I had the office job. Back then I washed every 4-5 days. Truly I could not tell you about cones or no cones because I have to confess I don't really read everything that I put on my hair. If my hair likes a product, I use it and if it doesn't I let it pile up with all the other bazillion hair products that don't work for me. Right now, and for about the last year or so I've been co'ing with VO5 or washing with baby shampoo and then conditioning with VO5. After the shower I will add a product called Silk Drops to the ends to help eliminate tangles. I blow dry my bangs and towel dry the length. Once the hair is dry I brush it out with a BBB and then stick it up in the bun. I'm pretty sure the Silk Drops has cones in it, but I couldn't tell you if either the baby shampoo or the VO5 does. We have soft water at our house, but it is city water and sometimes I can smell the chlorine or whatever chemical it is they add to the water. I complain and my DH does some magic and the smell is gone from the water. I use olive oil on my hair about every 2 weeks or so. Generally I just put some on my hands and rub that through the whole length, but every couple of months or so I will use about 1/4 cup and get all the hair oily. I let the heavy oil treatment stay on overnight and wash it out the next morning. It used to be that after a heavy olive oil treatment my hair was so slick I couldn't put it up without a barrette. (I have a little twisty knot that I like to wear since it requires no fastener - it's not secure enough for wear at work, but is perfectly suitable for around the house) I did the heavy oil treatment last night and washed this morning and while my hair feels nice and soft it's not slick like I expected it to be.

So do you think a clarifying shampoo is the way to go?

Riot Crrl
April 3rd, 2008, 01:46 AM
What does the dust consist of? Rather than just building up, it seems possible it could actually be abrading the hair. Can you cover it completely while you are working?

fluffer
April 3rd, 2008, 04:55 AM
With my hair, oiling eventually removes all slip and elasticity. The silk drops may be the culprit too because VO5 is a benign product.

Curlsgirl
April 3rd, 2008, 06:01 AM
Remember oils do NOT moisturize your hair, moisture moisturizes your hair. The silk drops are probably loaded with silicones and could be building up and/or attracting the dust like a magnet. Of course oils could do that too.

I would start with a good clarifying, maybe with a little baking soda mixed with shampoo. Then use a nice moisturizing conditioner, rinse that off and then use a light leave-in conditioner. While your hair is still damp, use some oil on the ends and smooth over the canopy. If it were me I would trash the silk drops and the baby shampoo. Buy a gentler shampoo (if you can get away with it a non-sulfate one, if not a diluted sulfate). I second covering your hair if you can, the dust cannot be good for it. If you can't or don't want to do that though I would at least rinse it out daily maybe rotating CO with CWC or something. HTH.

jel
April 3rd, 2008, 06:09 AM
Thanks for describing your routine. Those Silk Drops sound like the culprit to me too, as they're for detangling I suspect they are full of silicones. In addition, the product probably contains enough protein (silk) to build up on hair - personally, protein buildup makes my hair dry and crunchy.

So yes, I would go with a clarifying wash, followed by a moisture-rich conditioner. If you go for the baking soda option, I'd add a vinegar (or citric acid) rinse just after you rinse it out, before the conditioner.

I also agree with keeping your hair covered to protect it from dust, and changing your shampoo.

Shirlpunzel
April 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
I second all of the above(covering hair, possible product buildup etc), can't add much to those. but I had a thought while reading your first post:
for me personally, the "symptoms" you describe are my sign it's time for a good s&d(esp. if I know I've eliminated other possibilities like build-up). Everyone(and their hair) is different, but I find splits(even a relative few) make me lose all my slip and give me far more tangles(which in turn lead to more splits). just my :twocents:

ETA - is the humidity perhaps different in the warehouse? If so, that might be why a routine that used to work for the office isn't working as well now

missmanytoes
April 6th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies. My computer died and I've just now managed to get back on the boards. I did use Suave's clarifying shampoo yesterday and my hair feels better than it did but still not as slick as it used to. I'll try a baking soda concoction too and see if that helps. I read the label on the silk drops and it is loaded with cones so that probably is the culprit. I think you all are right and it is a serious build up of cones. I appreciate all the suggestions!

FrannyG
April 6th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Well, aside from some of the things others have mentioned, the thing that really jumped out at me regarding your routine is that you use baby shampoo. Baby shampoo should never be used on anyone but babies.

Hair requires a certain acid balance in shampoo and conditioner to remain healthy. Baby shampoo is extremely alkaline because it is formulated to prevent it from stinging a baby's eyes. Our eyes are naturally alkaline. Think about it. Tears are salty.

Our hair needs to be cared for with product that are more acidic. Baby shampoo is so harsh that it can and will lift the cuticle on the hair. Lifted cuticle means no slip.

Drop the baby shampoo, and find a shampoo that is pH balanced for the hair.

levelek
April 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Wow franny, thanks for posting this! I had no idea that baby shampoo works this way. :bigeyes: