View Full Version : Can space heaters cause damage?

Tangles
March 27th, 2009, 01:27 AM
It's freezing in my apartment and I sat near the space heater for hours this evening (like, 2 feet away from it). I had my hair up, but theoretically could this cause damage?

SimplyLonghair
March 27th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Probably not at that distance, but I caught me and my hair on fire as a child with a John Deer heater so I would be careful. :shocked:

Thank God for my dad who rolled me!

RancheroTheBee
March 27th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I hear they can be drying, but I wouldn't think it would cause any sort of extensive damage.

That said, I used to stand over the heater when I was a kid. For like, hours. It never did anything bad to my hair, but my mother thought I was really weird.

Tangles
March 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I hear they can be drying, but I wouldn't think it would cause any sort of extensive damage.

That said, I used to stand over the heater when I was a kid. For like, hours. It never did anything bad to my hair, but my mother thought I was really weird.

Haha. The family cat (while she was still with us) would sleep by the heater all the time. I sort of gravitate towards it, too.

EdG
March 27th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I don't think there was a danger. With one's hair up, one's skin would be the first to notice if the temperature were too hot. :flamed:
Ed

Curlsgirl
March 27th, 2009, 08:45 PM

That said, I used to stand over the heater when I was a kid. For like, hours. It never did anything bad to my hair, but my mother thought I was really weird.I did this too. We had a big one out in our family room and I sat right in front of it and watched TV.

I was actually wondering about the damage thing or that is more it "drying" my hair out rather than damaging it. I use one under my desk all the time. I have noticed my hair is a bit drier and have been trying to use more moisture but the winter air is drier anyway so it may not have anything to do with the heater. It does make sense though that it could dry out the air and therefore make your hair drier if you use it a lot.

oneKnight
March 28th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I sleep with a Vicks humidifier in my bedroom. They're cheap like $20 at WalMart and they make a nice white noise to sleep to. Seems to help with dry skin and my hair is fine.

I sit right next to the space heater when I'm on the computer. Sometimes I think I might be toasting my skin even though it really doesn't hurt, it sure does feel hot when I touch it with another part of my body.

My parents have a wood stove and I used to dry my hair by standing in front of it and leaning my head back over the stove. It's like insta-dry hair in less than 5 minutes. Kindof like blow-frying I guess, but I just loooooove the heat. We sometimes put a pan of water on top of the wood stove to evaporate and remositureize the air.

Kimberly
March 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM
It's freezing in my apartment and I sat near the space heater for hours this evening (like, 2 feet away from it). I had my hair up, but theoretically could this cause damage?

My old hair stylist said that was the problem with my hair a few years ago (even worse than driving a convertible). She took one look at my hair and asked if I'd been standing around huddled next to a wood stove, fireplace, or wall heater. Yep. Then she pointed out the damage it was causing where it was closest to the heat source. She said that because of the types of radiant heaters that are common in the area, she sees a lot of that.

Probably not at that distance, but I caught me and my hair on fire as a child with a John Deer heater so I would be careful. :shocked:

Thank God for my dad who rolled me!

That's so scary! I'm glad your dad was there to put you out.

Drynwhyl
March 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Haha. The family cat (while she was still with us) would sleep by the heater all the time. I sort of gravitate towards it, too.

Sometimes I join my cats and sleep in front of the heater, too =^.^=
I don't think it could cause damage, I use it for drying my hair during winter ;)