PDA

View Full Version : Chemo?

Qamar
March 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I'm currently being worked up for a thyroid neoplasm (medicalese for thyroid mass) that I'm hoping will turn out to be related to an underactive thyroid instead of anything serious. It'll be a little bit until I get the results of the scans and bloodwork, but of course my thoughts go to the possibility of bad news and the various treatment options. I have a friend who had thyroid cancer a few years back and while my mass is nothing like the size of hers, she did have to go through chemo. Have any of you been through chemo? Did you end up losing your hair? I know not all types of chemo cause hairloss--it depends upon the cell types they target, but I have to say, I would be bummed to lose my hair being so close to tailbone goal now. Yes, in the long run, its a minor thing because hair does grow back, but the thought of it is rather sad.

I guess I'm just doing some processing and thinking while I await the results of this round of testing and would love to hear from anyone else who has been down a similar path.

SpecialKitty
March 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'm sorry about your health problems :flowers:

I hope you don't have cancer and don't need chemo. (fingers crossed) There are a few folks at LHC who have been through chemo though and I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

:grouphug:

Shorty89
March 26th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I hope things turn out alright :flower:

I know MommaSmurf went through chemo and is a wonderful woman. I don't think she has been around lately though.

spf4214
March 26th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I hope everything is alright for you Qamar. :flowers:

Best of luck for your resutls.

Rebelkat
March 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I'm so sorry, Qamar! I sincerely hope that your problem is nothing serious (especially not cancer!!!), and will be sending positive vibes your way. I wish I could be more help, but as I've never had cancer or been on chemo, I have no firsthand input.

longhairedfairy
March 27th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Maybe girlcat will see this and can give you some info on this.
*HUGS*

SimplyLonghair
March 27th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I hope that all turns out so that no chemo is needed, but I know of several members could help you with the info if you do end up needing it. They should see the thread and chime in.... {{{{hugs}}}} and prayers and positive thoughts being sent your way! :grouphug:

Yedda
March 27th, 2009, 05:25 AM
My Grandma's hair did fall out when she had chemo, but I'm sure it depends on a case by case basis.

Worrying/stress cause hair loss too, so please believe for the best outcome and you have my prayers as well.:)

cindy58
March 27th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Hope you get positive news soon!

Forever_Sophie
March 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've had leukemia (AML) relapse 3x, 2 of the three times I lost my hair (3rd time was a clinical trial that worked). The 2nd time, my hair was ever so close to waist! But now it's back and wavier than ever - love :)

Best wishes to you.

Pixna
March 27th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Qamar, I hope you do not have cancer and the problem is easily cured. My sister went through chemo and did lose all of her hair. She always had long blond hair, and it was not easy for her to lose it. As difficult as that would be, it is a minor price to pay for staying alive and living a long, full, healthy life.

I do wish you the very best, and if the worst comes to pass (which I hope it does not!), do let us know so we can lend our support and advice.

(((((Qamar)))))

ravenreed
March 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
My girlfriend had chemo... lost her long hair. However, it is growing back nicely! It is below her shoulder and in great shape. I hope nothing like that comes to pass for you, but should it, there is hope!

jojo
March 27th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Positive vibes coming your way, hope everything is OK. {{{hugs}}} xx

ecologystudent
March 27th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I hope it turns out to be the most harmless thing it could be.

I know two people who've had chemo, and they both lost their hair.

dulce-de-leche
March 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Hope everything comes out well.My husband was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer about three years ago but did not have to go through chemo he had radiation and had a complete thyroidectomy.I s there a chance that if it is cancerous you could have radiation instead?

Ndnlady
March 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
It goes by a case to case basis, some people lose thier hair and some don't, my Father had cancer and he did lose all of his hair from the chemo. But I did have a friend who had something similar to you and they had to operate and take part of her thyroid out. They never gave her chemo though, they ended up giving her radiation and this other wierd treatment (can't remember what it was called) but she could not eat certain foods. Her hair ended up thinning out a lot but she did not lose all of her hair, once she was done with the treatments her hair ended up thickening up again.
Good luck with everything and take care of yourself, don't stress too much while awaiting the results!:grouphug:

MotherConfessor
March 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Sending you lots of hope and green vibes. Worst case scenario you get to do what my friend did when she lost all her hair due to a brain tumor (had to shave her head). She bought tons of fun wigs, both natural and crazy fun colored ones, even a few anime looking ones. Even the rather cheap wigs they have out nowadays are actually pretty nice. Here's to the silver lining

GlassEyes
March 27th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I second the mention of girlcat. She did lose some hair, not all of it, but some.

But I hope you don't have to worry about that. It IS just hair in the long run, but it'd be awful to see it all go. ):

invisiblebabe
March 27th, 2009, 09:43 PM
A good friend of mine who was a bridesmaid in my wedding is a thyroid cancer survivor. She did not need chemo, but she did have surgery. No hair loss was involved, and she is still cancer free some 8 years later. :)

ancilla
March 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I'm really sorry you're having to go through this. My friend had the same type of cancer, and I'm not sure if she had radiation or chemo, but she did not lose her hair. I know that she had surgery to take the tumor/s out, so that might be why she didn't get that much treatment because it wasn't that bad.

Qamar
March 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM
My friend who had a particularly agressive thyroid cancer had a total thyroidectomy, radiation and I believe one round of chemo, but her cancer was huge and they were concerned they hadn't gotten all the margins on it. My thyroid is definitely enlarged but nothing like hers was. I just take it as it comes and will deal with whatever life hands me. The waiting is the hardest part, but the doc was thinking he would have scan results as soon as Monday so I should hear from him early in the week.

darkwaves
March 28th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I thought I'd already posted -- I guess that post is lost!

Treatments vary, as does chemo. I had nine cycles of it (two times every four weeks x nine) about 20 years ago. Mine was apparently not as hard on hair growth as some others, and I lost no hair.

Hugs, while you're going through this time. And I hope you hear good news.

Helen Baq
March 28th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I had a 'borderline tumor' on an ovary (just turning cancerous) many years ago. They removed it and never did any chemo or radiation or further surgeries for it. My hair thinned a bit from the hormone changes before the surgery (over a few months time), but thickened back up afterward.

My mom has cancer and she lost her hair from chemo, but her tumor was big and recurred.

hennaphile
March 28th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I hope it turns out to be nothing!!

*sends good vibes*

I had a friend who had chemo for an autoimmune disease. While she didn't lose her hair, it stopped growing and was unhealthy during treatment. After treatment, she has her long, gorgeous, black waves back!

My grandma died of uterine cancer, she had ratiation and chemo, and plenty of it. She didn't lose her hair though.

Forever_Sophie
March 28th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Sending you lots of hope and green vibes. Worst case scenario you get to do what my friend did when she lost all her hair due to a brain tumor (had to shave her head). She bought tons of fun wigs, both natural and crazy fun colored ones, even a few anime looking ones. Even the rather cheap wigs they have out nowadays are actually pretty nice. Here's to the silver lining

Here's another case of the treatments, I guess. I know someone w/ brain cancer whose hair has thinned but you'd never guess she's getting cancer treatments.

Good luck again *hugs*

Qamar
March 30th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Well, the doc just called and the initial testing showed a 3.5 cm (walnut sized) mass on the right side of my thyroid. Hi ho, hi ho, its off to the endocrinologist I go...

Pixna
March 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Good luck, Qamar!!! I will keep you in my thoughts. :blossom:

CreativeHere
March 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Oh, gosh I'm sorry...
Good luck, and I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Qamar
March 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'm actually more anxious about the actual biopsy than anything else right now. I'll deal with the diagnosis once I know what it is! On the plus side, thyroid issues might well explain why my hair has thinned by about half and why I can't remember sh*t these days!

Anje
March 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I just want to wish you luck, and hopefully it's not cancerous. If it is, I hope you go with the treatment that gives the best outcome, and that your hair recovers nicely after thyroid issues and anything the treatment may do.

enfys
March 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Oh no! I hope it all goes ok with the biopsy. I'm sure it will be a great relief to get the results. At least when you know what's wrong you can begin treatment for it and work on getting better.

Mely
March 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I just found this on the Internet:

"Thyroid cancer is unique among cancers, in fact, thyroid cells are unique among all cells of the human body. They are the only cells which have the ability to absorb Iodine. Iodine is required for thyroid cells to produce thyroid hormone, so they absorb it out of the bloodstream and concentrate it inside the cell. Most thyroid cancer cells retain this ability to absorb and concentrate iodine. This provides a perfect "chemotherapy" strategy. Radioactive Iodine is given to the patient with thyroid cancer after their cancer has been removed. If there are any normal thyroid cells or thyroid cancer cells remain in the patient's body (and any thyroid cancer cells retaining this ability to absorb iodine) then these cells will absorb and concentrate the radioactive "poisonous" iodine. Since all other cells of our bodies cannot absorb the toxic iodine, they are unharmed. The thyroid cancer cells, however, will concentrate the poison within themselves and the radioactivity destroys the cell from within. No sickness. No hair loss. No nausea. No diarrhea. No pain. More about the use of radioactive iodine on the pages for each specific thyroid cancer type. "

http://www.endocrineweb.com/thyroidca.html

jera
March 31st, 2009, 01:55 AM
I just found this on the Internet:

"Thyroid cancer is unique among cancers, in fact, thyroid cells are unique among all cells of the human body. They are the only cells which have the ability to absorb Iodine. Iodine is required for thyroid cells to produce thyroid hormone, so they absorb it out of the bloodstream and concentrate it inside the cell. Most thyroid cancer cells retain this ability to absorb and concentrate iodine. This provides a perfect "chemotherapy" strategy. Radioactive Iodine is given to the patient with thyroid cancer after their cancer has been removed. If there are any normal thyroid cells or thyroid cancer cells remain in the patient's body (and any thyroid cancer cells retaining this ability to absorb iodine) then these cells will absorb and concentrate the radioactive "poisonous" iodine. Since all other cells of our bodies cannot absorb the toxic iodine, they are unharmed. The thyroid cancer cells, however, will concentrate the poison within themselves and the radioactivity destroys the cell from within. No sickness. No hair loss. No nausea. No diarrhea. No pain. More about the use of radioactive iodine on the pages for each specific thyroid cancer type. "

http://www.endocrineweb.com/thyroidca.html

First I'm so sorry to hear about this, and I hope your news will be good and that you won't need chemo. :)

Mely, that is interesting info. Cancer patients have so much to contend with without having to cope with the pain of hairloss on top of everything else.

Qamar
April 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Update time.

I had my first appointment with the endocrinologist and got a copy of the initial ultrasound report. I still don't have a definitive verdict because they haven't done the biopsy yet, but the initial impression is that the mass is very likely cancerous. Its 3.6cm, so larger than I was initially told, and there is another mass on the left side of the thyroid as well. That one is much smaller and so less likely to be malignant. The larger of the two is solid, so its not cystic, and shows bloodflow within it as well as having a texture that often turns out to be malignant upon biopsy. When I went to make the appointment for the biopsy they tried to give me an appt at the END of May! I had a polite fit and said I was not going to wait two months to find out if I have cancer or not and wanted something earlier. I actually said that I would take any appointment whatsoever before then. She came up with the 10th, which is still not soon enough for me, but I took it anyhow because its much sooner. Unfortunately its a Friday so I won't get any results until the next week at the earliest, and the endocrinologist is going on vacation for three weeks. I'm going to insist that someone call me with the results when they come in, even if its one of his medical partners. I won't be able to start treatment until he gets back from vacation but at least I'll know what the diagnosis is and won't be stuck in the emotional h*ll that is the limbo of uncertainty.

Qamar
April 11th, 2009, 02:28 AM
This is sort of an update. I had my biopsy today--not much fun but the anticipation was brutal. I was a total ball of nerves and they got even worse when the doc told me that he wasn't going to numb me up with lidocaine before taking the samples. Eeep!

The blessing is that its a short procedure. They stick a thin needle into the mass using ultrasound to guide it and then suck out a sample. The poke of the needle isn't too bad, but once its in the deeper tissue its a deep aching--oddly referred to different spots! The first sample I felt in the occipital region of my head, the second one behind my left ear and third one at the top of my head. This despite the fact that the samples were all from the right side of my thyroid in the front of my neck. I got to see the ultrasound images om my mass and it jumps right out at you. Now its a waiting game for the results. The office nurse told me 7-10 days but the doc said I should have results by tuesday.

Heres to hoping for the best but being prepared for the worst.

hennaphile
April 11th, 2009, 03:25 AM
:flower::grouphug:

Qamar
April 11th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Thanks! Hugs are always a good thing.

pdy2kn6
April 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM
so sorry to hear that, i really hope everything is okay. No one deserves any such thing. Best of luck.

let us know how everything turns out
best wishes

Forever_Sophie
April 11th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I know how brutal the waiting is, my thoughts are with you.

lapushka
April 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Sending lots of good vibes your way, Qamar.

Pixna
April 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Hang in there, Qamar! Thinking of you!

Teacherbear
April 11th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Qamar, I am just now reading this thread. I hope you get good news with your pathology report!

I'd like to suggest that you not wait for them to call you with the results. I suggest you call them. Give the office about 4 working days, then call. I've learned to do this. If they don't have the results the first day I kindly tell them that I'll talk with them tomorrow. If the results aren't in that day, then on the 3rd day I say that I plan to call once per day until the results are in. The waiting is so difficult!

I had a biopsy of a mass on my thyroid (several years ago). It was NOT fun! I won't go into details on the board . . . but I hurt for several days.

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

NurseMama
April 11th, 2009, 01:01 PM
:grouphug: Qamar, I hope you get good news...

longhairedfairy
April 11th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Lots of BIG :grouphug:

Qamar
April 12th, 2009, 05:35 AM
My plan is to call them on Tuesday morning before I go to my follow up with the regular doc who caught it in the first place. At least its my on weekend at work so I'm occupied. All I do on those days is work and sleep so I can't obsess about the results.

Les actually asked me after the biopsy what I was hoping the diagnosis would be as if I wanted it to be cancerous. Sheesh. Obviously I would prefer Hashimoto's over malignancy, but I have to be emotionally prepared for the possibility of cancer--that DOESN'T mean I want it to be cancer! Methinks the gent missed that distinction. He's holding up pretty well though, which is good because I need him to be my rock for the hard bits.

Natalia
April 12th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I know im getting on this late but im sorry it has advanced to the biopsy phase as i was reading i kept wishing they would rule it out before now! Im glad the proceedure was short. I havent know anyone first hand with thyroid cancer but one of my professors wives had it and alot of my family has autoimmune conditions which affect their thyroid (including me). Im thinking good thought for you! Cheers to wishing for a harmless goiter :D! I'll be thinking of you anxiously awaiting an update.

<3 Natalia

wissles
April 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Aw, I'm really sorry. I wish you all luck.

girlcat36
April 12th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Maybe girlcat will see this and can give you some info on this.
*HUGS*

Sorry, Qamar.....I did not see this thread, I haven't been around the boards much.
I did have chemo and radiation for tonsil cancer in 2007. The chemo caused a diffuse thinning of hair all over my head, and the radiation caused a large bald spot at the back of my head.
My hair is still recovering from all of this, but I was able to disguise the bald spot pretty well.

As for the thyroid.....I went through this in 2008. Multiple biopsies and ultrasounds showed a nodule that looked most certainly malignant. Solid, increased vascularity, and presence of calcifications. My biopsies were all inconclusive. My own history of cancer, and a family history of thyroid cancer prompted my doctors to order surgery of my entire thyroid. Due to my history of neck radiation, they would only do ONE surgery removing my entire thyroid. Normally they would only take out the half with the nodule, but not in my case.

But what I really want to tell you is that despite looking malignant, my path report was benign!
I no longer have a thyroid, but that's another story.....

Wish you the best, my fingers are crossed for you!

brok3nwings
April 12th, 2009, 08:50 AM
im so sorry that you are in this situation and waiting for the results.. i can imagine how stressful it is! i just hope everything goes for the best

Peggy E.
April 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Am joining in with best wishes for health and positive results from this biopsy.

If your doctors are anything like mine, you are wise to develop your plan for calling and calling and calling until you finally get them to give you the results you should have given to you immediately.

And I know you must be so frightened right now, but try to take extra-special care of yourself - do the things you love doing, go to places you particularly enjoy with people you love to be around.

One thing, though - you may need those around you to be "rocks" of strength, but you'll also find there will be times when they will need you to help reassure them, as well. It's the beauty of having loving friends and family, we all reach out to one another, a give-and-take of caring support.

I do hope you will soon be receiving good news!

Qamar
April 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Les and I have a wonderful relationship and we take good care of each other. We seem to each fall apart at different times and consequently, end up being each other's rock when we need it most. I feel truly blessed to have him in my life. Right now he's been doing a wonderful job of keeping me distracted in the most fun ways possible while we wait for the results. :D

Anje
April 13th, 2009, 03:40 PM
:grouphug: Qamar. I hope you get results fast, and that they're really conclusive showing that it's not cancer. Keep us posted.

charlotte meve
April 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Qamar,please don't worry about this now. The worse thing you can do is to stress before you receive the news. As for the thyroid , the standard treatment is not normally chemo but radioactive iodine. I have had a total thyroidectomy and radiation to follow it up. I had some thinning before having knowledge of the cancer and that was actually one of my symptoms, Because of the hormonal imbalances from being hypothyroidic. At the present time I haven't noticed any real issues with my hair. Actually it is now growing quite rapidly.

Qamar
April 16th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Did you have any side effects from the radioactive iodide?

Pegasus Marsters
April 16th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I really hope you get some positive results and they say that it's NOT cancer.

But honey... your health is far more important than your hair. Yep, it sucks to lose your hair... but there are worse things to lose.

charlotte meve
April 16th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Did you have any side effects from the radioactive iodide? Well I have had very good check ups. But you should definitely investigate it further. In a way it's a cure, but there is the possibility of other cancers because of it. I don't know what the percentages are. I can't speak for anyone or for everyone, but I wish that I had put it off until I had weighed my options.

charlotte meve
April 17th, 2009, 12:01 AM
As for your hair. You probably wouldn't lose your hair because of the radiation.Your thyroid levels would be more the issue. I experienced a lot of shedding but not anything noticeable to others.

Qamar
April 17th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Well, my hair has already thinned by about 50&#37; over the last few years. In retrospect, I'm betting money on it being thyroid levels.

Yesterday was a rough one emotionally and I've been having crying jags all day and most of the night at work. The stress of not knowing is really starting to get to me. *sigh* The nurses at the endocrinologist's office said to call around 9am in the morning though because the pathologist will be in the office and they plan on pidgeonholing her to try and get her to release information to me. Meanwhile, my co-workers, friends and Les are being really wonderful. Work offered to let me take some sick time off, but I can't afford it right now and I'll need that time off if I need surgery. Thankfully I'm off for a few days so I can hopefully de-stress.

marialena
April 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Well, my hair has already thinned by about 50% over the last few years. In retrospect, I'm betting money on it being thyroid levels.

Yesterday was a rough one emotionally and I've been having crying jags all day and most of the night at work. The stress of not knowing is really starting to get to me. *sigh* The nurses at the endocrinologist's office said to call around 9am in the morning though because the pathologist will be in the office and they plan on pidgeonholing her to try and get her to release information to me. Meanwhile, my co-workers, friends and Les are being really wonderful. Work offered to let me take some sick time off, but I can't afford it right now and I'll need that time off if I need surgery. Thankfully I'm off for a few days so I can hopefully de-stress.

I trying to guess what you are passing through and I really feel very sorry for that...But try to stay calm and don't stress yourself. If you start panicking with the possible scenarios of what is going to happen you will not help yourself and you will not help your health.
I know exactly what this waiting is, but you have to be strong and wish to know sooner what is your health problem in order to fight it.

As for your hair, you said that you have lost the 50% of your hair the past years. So I think that is better to give an end to this condition, you have to wish to know what is the problem because I don't think that you want to keep on having this problem for the years that will come.

So think positive. Whatever is the problem, now is your chance to solve it and the soonest you will do that the better you are going to feel ( because you must not forget that even your feelings are the way it is, from your thyroid problems).

There are two possibilities. You either have or not thyroid cancer. In both cases there is a cure so think that you are very close to this cure and that if you do it soon you are going to feel better. And your hair, even if now are not in good condition they will grow back stronger and healthier because you are going to be healthier.

I wish you to have the best possible news.

I send you love and good vibes.:):blossom:

charlotte meve
April 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Well, my hair has already thinned by about 50% over the last few years. In retrospect, I'm betting money on it being thyroid levels.

Oh it's definitely the thyroid. Heres to you getting back to yourself again.:cheese:

florenonite
April 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
:grouphug: I hope you get a positive diagnosis and it's not any particularly bad illness :)

Qamar
May 9th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Well, it took forever, but the initial biopsy results came back as inconclusive because he didn't get enough tissue. The doc wanted to wait a month and then do a repeat aspiration biopsy, but I informed him that we were NOT going to wait a month and we were NOT doing another aspiration biopsy. Instead, we were doing a punch biopsy and doing it ASAP. It took over two more weeks to get an appointment for that in interventional radiology, but I finally had my second biopsy last Wednesday. THIS time they used lidocaine, something they refused to give me on the first one even though I requested it. They also took the wet mounts to pathology and had a preliminary reading so they knew they had enough tissue for a diagnosis. Now the waiting begins anew. They said that the pathology report should be ready by Monday, so thats when I'll start bugging my doc again.

Because I've had piss poor care thus far, and the doc or his staff has out and out lied to me four times now, I'm looking for a new endocrinologist. I had a female endocrinologist suggested to me so I filled out a medical records authorization so that she can get copies of all the testing thus far, and after my results are in I'll schedule an appointment with her. Dr. Fink is an @ss and I'm about fed up with him. The lies have all been fairly minor, but there should be NONE at all from my medical provider. Its not as if I don't know them when I see them--I'm a medical professional myself! Besides, witholding MY medical information for three weeks is inexcusable and utter mental torture. Its my info and I have a right to it!

Forever_Sophie
May 9th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I was thinking of you just the other day, wondering how things are going. Thanks for the update, I'm wishing you the best, and I hope things work out w/ this new endocrinologist.

SheWolf
May 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Well, it took forever, but the initial biopsy results came back as inconclusive because he didn't get enough tissue. The doc wanted to wait a month and then do a repeat aspiration biopsy, but I informed him that we were NOT going to wait a month and we were NOT doing another aspiration biopsy. Instead, we were doing a punch biopsy and doing it ASAP. It took over two more weeks to get an appointment for that in interventional radiology, but I finally had my second biopsy last Wednesday. THIS time they used lidocaine, something they refused to give me on the first one even though I requested it. They also took the wet mounts to pathology and had a preliminary reading so they knew they had enough tissue for a diagnosis. Now the waiting begins anew. They said that the pathology report should be ready by Monday, so thats when I'll start bugging my doc again.

Because I've had piss poor care thus far, and the doc or his staff has out and out lied to me four times now, I'm looking for a new endocrinologist. I had a female endocrinologist suggested to me so I filled out a medical records authorization so that she can get copies of all the testing thus far, and after my results are in I'll schedule an appointment with her. Dr. Fink is an @ss and I'm about fed up with him. The lies have all been fairly minor, but there should be NONE at all from my medical provider. Its not as if I don't know them when I see them--I'm a medical professional myself! Besides, witholding MY medical information for three weeks is inexcusable and utter mental torture. Its my info and I have a right to it!

I am so glad you're fighting back. Don't let those idiot savants treat you like you don't matter or couldn't possibly know what to do with your records, demand respect and be the squeaky wheel.
Best of luck to you, keep us posted.

Pixna
May 9th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Holy cr@p, Qamar! It's so sad that the medical profession isn't what it used to be. There is no good reason at all for treating a patient so horribly. I hope the new endocrinologist is FAR better and treats you with the respect and dignity you deserve. Best wishes on the results of the biopsy. Stay strong!

girlcat36
May 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Good thing you're being so careful. I got totally messed up by my thyroidectomy. I'll never be the same. It shouldn't have come out.

windinherhair
May 9th, 2009, 12:24 PM
The doctor I went to as a child had really long hair past her waist, and she lost her hair to chemo. Her hair was so beautiful and I found it hard to understand how it could be taken away from her so. It is so sad... especially for those of us who love to have their hair long. :(

I pray that you don't have to go through that and you can keep your hair. *hug*

Anje
May 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Ugh! I can't believe they didn't get back to you. Glad you're fighting back and got another biopsy done!

I've got a friend who I think had the radioactive iodine for Hashimoto's. I'll ask her how that was. (Besides ineffective -- she had it killed or removed twice, and it has grown back both times. I suspect that it's very unusual, though.)

Qamar
November 9th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Update time:

The second biopsy came back negative so I won't need chemo or radiation therapy, but the mass is large enough that thats causing issues with swallowing and feeling strangled when I lie down. For that reason I'll be having my thyroid out--the plan is to do a hemithyroidectomy and isthmusectomy (remove the right lobe and central part of the thyroid but leave the left lobe in place) and then put me on suppressive therapy to keep the small nodule on the left lobe small. IF once they get in there it ends up looking suspicious for cancer after all then they'll take the whole thing and I'll end up on thyroid meds for life. Either way I'll be glad to get the thing out.

The down side of all this is that I need to COBRA my health insurance to cover the surgery and the company my travel nursing agency had hired to administer the COBRA benefits was incompetent, so I've been arguing with them since the end of May to get my COBRA in place. meanwhile I'm accruing bills and can't schedule surgery. There is a new administrator in place now and she's trying to at least get me coverage in place so that I can have my surgery. I'm still stuck in a hurry up and wait place.

Qamar
November 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Oh, I did sh*tc@n the old endocrinologist and I absolutely ADORE the new one. He actually treats me like an equal partner in my health care. What a concept!

longhairedfairy
November 9th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I'm so glad the test came back negative! I hope they get the COBRA thing sorted out soon so you can get this stuff over with.:grouphug:

Chrissy
November 9th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I'm late to this thread but I am glad your test came back negative. I wish you the best in your health care. I have hashimoto's and take thyroid meds daily. I will keep you in my prayers.

GlassEyes
November 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I'm happy your test came back negative! :D

Funwithsharps
November 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I recently had a thyroid problem so I have read a lot about Thyroid cancer. Since thyroid tissue is the only tissue in the body that absorbs iodine, chemo treatments can be very specifically guided unlike other chemo treatments. So with thyroid cancer treatments, the articles I read said that there isn't the same problem with complete hair loss as with other forms of chemo. With other cancer types, the problem lies with the fact that there is no way to specifically target the cancer cells. Therefore, chemo basically stops ALL cell growth in the body. This is what causes the baldness.

shadowclaw
November 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I'm another late one, but it's great that your results were negative!

Shastrix
November 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I've stumbled into this thread a bit late, but I'm glad that all the tests came back negative. :) The stress of not knowing and waiting is probably one of the worst aspects of cancer. :(

DH had stage 4 metastatic testicular cancer (in his spine, stomach, liver, lungs, intestines and a kidney) and was saved by a clinical trial treatment (CBOP-BEP) which is now being rolled out across the country. After he was diagnosed (it took 2 years because of the atypical way that it presented) they had him on chemotherapy within 24 hours and I have nothing but praise for the wonderful people at the Royal Marsden in the UK.

The two bits I wanted to contribute to the thread (which I don't think I saw mentioned above) was that there are things they can do if your particular chemotherapy treatment is prone to causing hair loss. I know that in the UK the NHS provides cold caps; I have pasted below some info from their website (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chemotherapy/Pages/Side-effects.aspx):
Cold cap

It may be possible to prevent chemotherapy-associated hair loss by using a cold cap. A cold cap looks similar to a bicycle helmet and is designed to cool your scalp while you receive a dose of chemotherapy. In cooling the scalp, the cold cap reduces the amount of bloodflow to the scalp, which reduces the amount of chemotherapy medication that reaches it. Whether or not you can use a cold cap during treatment will depend on the type of cancer you have. For example, if you have leukaemia, there may be cancer cells near your scalp so a cold cap cannot be used. Cold caps work better with certain chemotherapy medications than others and they may not always prevent hair loss
If the hair does end up falling out it can be traumatic, (especially the first shower/bath when the majority sheds :bigeyes:) but on the positive side when it eventually grows back it is the softest loveliest silky-smooth baby hair imaginable. I couldn't stop stroking DH's head. :D

klcqtee
November 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM
ETA: Whoops, late. I'm really happy your test came back negative, congrats!

My aunt went through chemo, and lost all her hair. It went from probably a medium auburn with a few odd grey streaks, 3a, M/C, ii/iii to completely salt and pepper, 2a,f, ii/iii. It felt like baby bunny hair, it was soooo soft! Her doctor also gave her a prescription for some sort of hair growing cream that she applied. It helped her hair grow back on her eyebrows and eyelashes, because those just didn't want to grow back in on their own. On the plus side, the hair on the rest of her body never came back, so she never has to shave!

I hope this doesn't happen to you, and all turns out okay.