PDA

View Full Version : New visual hair typing guide article

freznow
March 26th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Because Fia's has magically disappeared, we're putting together a new visual hair typing guide. If anyone has a picture they think would represent well one of the hair types, feel free to share. I'll save it on my photobucket account and then make an article. We'll need maybe a handful of pictures per each of the 11 hair types. (Unless you all think it would be wise to include the 'inbetweens', like 2a/2b? I think that may be too much, and it would get a tad too overwhelming.)

Rebelkat
March 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I agree that "inbetweens" would be overkill. I think anyone could figure out from the standard types whether they are inbetween or not. One thing: are strand thicknesses going to be included (fine, medium, coarse)? If so, how would we go about it? Take a pic of a single shed strand of hair or separate a handful from the rest of our hair and take a pic of that section? Or is it even possible to do something like that?

Feye
March 27th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Hi, I agree not to include the in-betweens.

A thought though, I always used to want to be a 2a and called myself that, but everyone else typed me as a 1c (which I have now accepted :lol:) Will you just put the pics up as they are sent in, or will you evaluate them and change the hair types?

Teazel
March 27th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Feel free to use my hairtyping pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/hair/76.jpg), if you like: a lot of people helped my to rethink my type, and the general consensus was that I'm a 2b. :)

pdy2kn6
March 27th, 2009, 03:38 AM
thats a great idea, yeah i agree it may be a bit better to just leave out the imbetweens and make people establish their imbetweeness based on the other clear hair type pictures. I look forward to seeing each different type because im still abit fuzzy on the whole system and also on what hair type i am, especially because most of my photos are results of braid waves. great idea freznow

shayly-fyanna
March 27th, 2009, 04:17 AM
This is a great idea! I also feel that it is wise to leave the in betweens out, most of us can find the closest hair type anyway. about thickness....not sure where to start or how? it could be fun to get some daylight/outside pictures of hair between fingers? as a refference? not really sure. but feel free to use my pic, i think i am a 1b/1c but not really sure. got waves in the hair but no definite curls or anything that would get me to the solid 1c. just some S waves.

Rebelkat
March 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
This is a great idea! I also feel that it is wise to leave the in betweens out, most of us can find the closest hair type anyway. about thickness....not sure where to start or how? it could be fun to get some daylight/outside pictures of hair between fingers? as a refference? not really sure. but feel free to use my pic, i think i am a 1b/1c but not really sure. got waves in the hair but no definite curls or anything that would get me to the solid 1c. just some S waves.
Feel free to use mine (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2776&pictureid=34785), too. My I have a pic in my 2009 album of *fairly* untouched hair, and I consider it a 2a and it's also dead on TBL. I will try to get a pic of it without combing at all the next time I wash it (although it might be different than 2a now, because I'm starting to see spirals without any manipulation on my part). I have pics of my DBF in my gallery as well, and although his longest layer is shoulder ATM, it's clear his hair is at least a 2b.

Perhaps we should try to have a couple of different examples of each hair type?

sklent
March 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I would like to see the in-betweens actually, I'm having trouble figuring out mine.

maria_asa
March 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I didn't realise that Fia's guide had dissapeared but since it has a new one sounds like a great idea.
As someone with babyfine hair I think taking good pictures of strand thickness could be very hard. I can hardly see my shed hairs and have so far been unable to catch them with a camera. Off course, that may be a way to determine the thickness as well: If it's impossible to photograph it it's most probably fine :p

Meli
March 27th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I agree that it might be a bit too much to include inbetween hairtypes, but it would be great if the chosen pictures showed the entire range of each hairtype, from the straigher borderline, to the wavier/curlier borderline. If that is possible with still having distinct hairtype categories, that is. Maybe that could help "inbetweens" to determine if they are closer to the straighter or wavier/curlier hairtype.

neon-dream
March 27th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Ohh this sounds like a good idea!!

I keep getting confused with mine. I think I'm a 2b, maybe a 2c =/

There's pics in my album if someone wants to help me! hah!

freznow
March 27th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I agree that "inbetweens" would be overkill. I think anyone could figure out from the standard types whether they are inbetween or not. One thing: are strand thicknesses going to be included (fine, medium, coarse)? If so, how would we go about it? Take a pic of a single shed strand of hair or separate a handful from the rest of our hair and take a pic of that section? Or is it even possible to do something like that?

Strand thickness and total thickness are almost impossible to judge from pictures. This article will only be for the measurements of curliness or lack thereof, at this point. (Though, perhaps, a comparison of strands next to a penny would work to capture strand thicknesses? If someone had access to at least 3 different thicknesses of hair strands, they could do an all in one comparison picture.)

Hi, I agree not to include the in-betweens.

A thought though, I always used to want to be a 2a and called myself that, but everyone else typed me as a 1c (which I have now accepted :lol:) Will you just put the pics up as they are sent in, or will you evaluate them and change the hair types?

The pictures will be re-evaluated before entry, at the very least by me, and hopefully by a consensus of LHCers.

I agree that it might be a bit too much to include inbetween hairtypes, but it would be great if the chosen pictures showed the entire range of each hairtype, from the straigher borderline, to the wavier/curlier borderline. If that is possible with still having distinct hairtype categories, that is. Maybe that could help "inbetweens" to determine if they are closer to the straighter or wavier/curlier hairtype.

That's a good idea, though, admittedly, the range of pictures is entirely dependent on who sends pictures in. There is the question, though, as to whether someone with a borderline hair type should go in the higher category, the lower category, or both.

Rebelkat
March 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Strand thickness and total thickness are almost impossible to judge from pictures. This article will only be for the measurements of curliness or lack thereof, at this point. (Though, perhaps, a comparison of strands next to a penny would work to capture strand thicknesses? If someone had access to at least 3 different thicknesses of hair strands, they could do an all in one comparison picture.)
I have access to all three, I believe. I think I might even have all three types on my head at any given time. I could try to gather them and get a picture of them. I'll have to see if my digital is capable of macro shots (I'm really wishing I had that dSLR now!). I can't guarantee anything, though. It would work best if someone on LHC had an SLR or dSLR.

Any amateur photographers out there? :pray:

HairColoredHair
March 27th, 2009, 01:27 PM
If I can find a length pic where I DON't have braid waves... I might contribute... :lol:

Aisha25
March 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I like this idea it will make it alot easier for people to see other pictures to figure out there own hair type. Good job:thumbsup:

Anje
March 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Well, I'll volunteer myself as an in-between. My hairtyping pic is in my album.

Redheaded Raven
March 27th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Ohh this sounds like a good idea!!

I keep getting confused with mine. I think I'm a 2b, maybe a 2c =/

There's pics in my album if someone wants to help me! hah!
well looking at your pics I would say you are a strong 2b
with a slight tendency towards 2c hth:cheese:

Redheaded Raven
March 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I agree not to include the in-between

oh funny I just realize that it was my 500 post

Phalaenopsis
March 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM
You can see a difference in strandtype, by just seeing the overall texture. Fine hair has a silkiness to it and you can definitely see a difference with coarse hair, even though both heads have the same thickness.

Sceleste
March 27th, 2009, 02:59 PM
If you need a 1a picture, you can use mine: pic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1600&pictureid=18851)

vindo
March 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Edit:
I have a picture from July 2008?
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6779/img0244.jpg

If not I could make a new one after my wash day...but thats only if anyone would want to use me as an example of 1a hair..

Silverlox
March 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM
This is a great idea! :D

My thoughts on this matter:..

To me, the most helpful guide would be "solid" cases. Like in from a solid 1a, 1b, 1c respectively, through to solid 4's. (Are there letters in the 4 category too? I don't know.)

Variations always occur, which is exactly why we have the mixed categories. I think that merely from seeing the "solid"-s it would be easy to find your own mix too.

I agree that the hair typing guide should only cover the range of straightness-waviness-curliness.

When it comes to strand thickness, I wouldn't be able to judge squat from a picture anyway. It would have to be so enlarged to show, that I couldn't easily "translate" it to my own strand thickness.
I think the written explanations in the hair typing guide are excellently clear and make it a breeze to determine strand thickness by following those.
By simply rolling a single strand between my fingers, I found it very easy to decide which category my hair belong to.

Regarding overall hair thickness, we have hard-fact measurements to go by. Pictures are not necessary, nor are they the least bit helpful. It's practically impossible to see if someone has thick or thin hair from only a picture. In my eyes all sleek hair types look "thinner" in a picture and all wavy-wurly-curly hairs look "thicker", merely because it spreads out more. Thus the ponytail circumference method is a lot more reliable as a thickness guide.

Silverlox
March 27th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Edit:
I have a picture from July 2008?
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6779/img0244.jpg

If not I could make a new one after my wash day...but thats only if anyone would want to use me as an example of 1a hair..

You are a fantastic example of 1a, Emichiee!! Nobody on earth could have a higher sleekness factor than you! :inlove: :flower:

Teazel
March 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM
This is a great idea! :D

My thoughts on this matter:..

To me, the most helpful guide would be "solid" cases. Like in from a solid 1a, 1b, 1c respectively, through to solid 4's. (Are there letters in the 4 category too? I don't know.)

Variations always occur, which is exactly why we have the mixed categories. I think that merely from seeing the "solid"-s it would be easy to find your own mix too.

I agree that the hair typing guide should only cover the range of straightness-waviness-curliness.

When it comes to strand thickness, I wouldn't be able to judge squat from a picture anyway. It would have to be so enlarged to show, that I couldn't easily "translate" it to my own strand thickness.
I think the written explanations in the hair typing guide are excellently clear and make it a breeze to determine strand thickness by following those.
By simply rolling a single strand between my fingers, I found it very easy to decide which category my hair belong to.

Regarding overall hair thickness, we have hard-fact measurements to go by. Pictures are not necessarily, nor are they the least bit helpful. It's practically impossible to see if someone has thick or thin hair from only a picture. In my eyes all sleek hair types look "thinner" in a picture and all wavy-wurly-curly hairs look "thicker", merely because it spreads out more. Thus the ponytail circumference method is a lot more reliable as a thickness guide.

What Silverlox said. :agree:

GlassEyes
March 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM

4a and 4b.

4a has a semi-defined/defined tight curl pattern, whereas 4b doesn't. I'd recommend asking in the Kinky 4's thread for that.

K_Angel
March 27th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Awesome idea! Thanks! :blossom:

Silverlox
March 27th, 2009, 06:52 PM
4a and 4b.

4a has a semi-defined/defined tight curl pattern, whereas 4b doesn't. I'd recommend asking in the Kinky 4's thread for that.

Thank you for educating me, GlassEyes! :flower:
I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable would respond to my question. :D

To be honest, I verrrry carefully avoid ever visiting the Curly or Kinky threads. Seeing the avatars and the siggy pics are bad enough.
I'm afraid my keyboard wouldn't survive all the drooling.. :(
Not to mention that I'd turn green like a Martian from acute envy-itis. :no:

mira-chan
March 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Contributing 2b picture here (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/avatar-sig/profilepicture2007.jpg).

carinkla
March 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM
will see if I can dig up an hairtyping pic of me. But according the duth forum I am a mix between 2b and 2c ;)

darkwaves
March 28th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Very odd -- I thought I posted in this thread last night, but no sign of it!

I've asked for feedback on my hairtype twice here, once when it was shoulder-length (Feb 06) and then when it was close to waist (Summer 08 ).

Both times, everyone -- including Fia, in 06 -- said it was 3a.

I found the visual guide really helpful in my early days here, so would volunteer pix. You can see my hair unhandled, air dried after washing here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=171266#post171266)and, on the Archived forum, here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=675663#post675663) and here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=675652&postcount=59). (Note -- to access the old forum, you might need to sign in on a different browser, or log out of this site first...)

Oh, and my note from Fia on hairtyping is in my blog.

My hair varies a lot, from very curly after it's just been washed, to fairly straight if I keep it away from water for many days. I think that's typical of many 3as, and lots of members with curly hair post about needing to wet/wash their hair to refresh the curl.

When I asked last summer about hair type, I was frustrated by the dry air where I live taking away the curl, and had briefly called myself 2c/3a, but went back to 3a after hearing from others on LHC.

Lady Lilya
March 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Maybe it would work best to start a thread for each type, asking people to submit photos if they think their hair might fall into that category. Then hopefully there will be a consensus that a few of those pics are very clear examples of that hair type.

Aisha25
March 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Maybe it would work best to start a thread for each type, asking people to submit photos if they think their hair might fall into that category. Then hopefully there will be a consensus that a few of those pics are very clear examples of that hair type.
Thats a good idea:D

nienna42
March 28th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=953&pictureid=35198) is another 2b picture, if you need another. At least, I'm pretty sure I'm a 2b.

Redheaded Raven
March 28th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I will see if I can dig up an hair typing pic of me

shayly-fyanna
March 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Here are 2 more pics, one day, one night. to check besides my sig pic. in case you wish to add them in the hairtyping guide.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3638/3394217617_a41b34f386.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3430/3394217409_fe16deea89.jpg

Sorry don't know how to simply put the address without it showing.

freznow
March 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Thats a good idea:D

I'm a bit wary of starting so many threads for this. 11 would be way too many, though one for 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s might be okay. Still, I feel that one thread should be enough. If there comes a time to whittle down and sort through the pictures more than they already are (there seems to be a consensus already made on the majority of pictures), then we'll overcome that hurdle when it arises.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed pictures so far! You are all very helpful.

And, Anje, I can't seem to find your picture.

Just_Isabel
March 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Maybe I'm not the only person with this question, so I'll ask even though I feel like I should know the answer. :o

How "unhandled" does the hair have to be for these pictures? What exactly are you allowed to do, what not?

It'll probably be helpful to have these things written somewhere in this thread. Some of the things are obvious (letting your hair dry in a bun or brain is obviously not helpful for hair typing) but others are probably in a gray area... like scrunching (or it's in a gray area for me) or certain types of leave in that are more for moisture than styling.

ETA: I never worried too much about these things because last time I took hair typing pictures it wasn't planned: I showered at the gym and didn't do anything at all to my hair. Later I realized that it was the perfect opportunity to get hair typing pics. :lol:

vindo
March 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM
You are a fantastic example of 1a, Emichiee!! Nobody on earth could have a higher sleekness factor than you! :inlove: :flower:

Thank you :)
But I have to say a sleek surface in not necessarily for the straight only, straight hair reflects light differently, but there can still be straighties which have a rougher surface (=can hold more volume)
I call it the hairs own 'friction' ;)

What I was wondering about the description of the hairtypes:

I see so many people that seem to classify themselves a little wrong. Since I'm a straightie I especially notice it in the 1 area, like 1c's that look much straighter, 1a's that have a bodywave, bend or flip or others that are a 1b but actually look like 1a etc.
I have also noticed people in the other categories but it is harder for me to compare there.
I thought maybe it would be smart to make sure that all the descriptions are detailed and accurate. Or at least make sure that they are understood correctly...(since I find that it was pretty clear when it comes to terms like 'stickstraight', "bodywave" etc.:confused:)

Teazel
March 29th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Maybe I'm not the only person with this question, so I'll ask even though I feel like I should know the answer. :o

How "unhandled" does the hair have to be for these pictures? What exactly are you allowed to do, what not?

It'll probably be helpful to have these things written somewhere in this thread. Some of the things are obvious (letting your hair dry in a bun or brain is obviously not helpful for hair typing) but others are probably in a gray area... like scrunching (or it's in a gray area for me) or certain types of leave in that are more for moisture than styling.

ETA: I never worried too much about these things because last time I took hair typing pictures it wasn't planned: I showered at the gym and didn't do anything at all to my hair. Later I realized that it was the perfect opportunity to get hair typing pics. :lol:

As I understand it, to truly judge type hair must be freshly washed and conditioned, detangled while very wet, then left alone to air dry. A little scrunching is allowed, I believe.

viking_quest
March 29th, 2009, 08:06 PM

You can look over here for tips on taking a good hair typing picture.

danacc
March 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I believe that the report of the disappearance of Fia's Visual Hairtyping (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html) page may be out-of-date. At least, I assume these are the pictures being referenced.

That said, I think the more examples the better, so certainly augmenting Fia's by pulling together your wonderful pictures for the different types would be helpful.

Edit to fix link.

Redheaded Raven
March 30th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I will see if I can dig up an hair typing pic of meOk here is a pic to use http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/simply_longhair/raven2cgood-1.jpg

Teazel
March 30th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I believe that the report of the disappearance of Fia's Visual Hairtyping (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html) page may be out-of-date. At least, I assume these are the pictures being referenced.

That said, I think the more examples the better, so certainly augmenting Fia's by pulling together your wonderful pictures for the different types would be helpful.

Edit to fix link.

Oh yay, it's back! Thanks for that, danacc. :cheese:

freznow
March 30th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Edit to fix link.

Wow, it is back!

I'll probably still put together something in an article, as insurance against future malfunctions, and for easier accessibility.

jahof45
March 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Thank you for posting the mac photo album. The photos really helped me with my hair type.

Rebelkat
March 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Even though the link is back up, do you guys think we should still make a guide in the articles section? There's always the possibility that it could go down again. Better to be safe than sorry!

jahof45
March 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
How do I find others with similar hair types? I've searched posts but it doesn't find any results using; 2a/F/M/ii as my search term.

K_Angel
March 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I would really love to have the guide on here too. The other one is great, but it went down for quite a while. If we have one here too, it will serve as a back up if that happens again. :flower:

long.again
March 30th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Thank you for finding that. Now I believe I am more of a 2c considering I have 3 areas with perfect spirals. But my hair doe look 2b.

mira-chan
March 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM
How do I find others with similar hair types? I've searched posts but it doesn't find any results using; 2a/F/M/ii as my search term.
To find similar hairtypes go to the member list, select the search function there. Then select advanced search. That will give you options to select hairtypes. :flower:

jahof45
March 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM
To find similar hairtypes go to the member list, select the search function there. Then select advanced search. That will give you options to select hairtypes. :flower:

I'm still a newbie, too new to see the Member's List. Ah, drat.

Thank you Mira-chan!

mira-chan
March 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I'm still a newbie, too new to see the Member's List. Ah, drat.

Thank you Mira-chan!
You're welcome. :)
I checked your hairtype in the search and a lot of people have your hairtype. Many of them post pretty often so just look around. Some beautiful heads of hair in this group.

morguebabe
April 8th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Feel free to use me and grab a picture from my album.

Just_Isabel
April 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I wanted to "donate" photos, so I took some and put them in an album here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2856). But I'm not sure anymore if I'm a 3a or if I fall between types (3a/3b?).

Anyway, I'll leave the link here so you can have a look and decide if my pictures help or not. If they do, feel free to use them. :)

Starr
April 30th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Bumpity, Bump, Bump!

Is anyone doing this article? I'll volunteer my pictures in the name of science. . .

jessie58
April 30th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Speaking of hairtyping, I have never been sure of my hair type. I waffle from a 2c to 2c/3a and then back as my hair changes. If anybody looking at my hair album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1327)or my avatar has any input, I would appreciate it.

Arya
August 22nd, 2011, 12:16 AM
I see so many people that seem to classify themselves a little wrong. Since I'm a straightie I especially notice it in the 1 area, like 1c's that look much straighter, 1a's that have a bodywave, bend or flip or others that are a 1b but actually look like 1a etc.
I have also noticed people in the other categories but it is harder for me to compare there.
I thought maybe it would be smart to make sure that all the descriptions are detailed and accurate. Or at least make sure that they are understood correctly...(since I find that it was pretty clear when it comes to terms like 'stickstraight', "bodywave" etc.:confused:)

Ugh, I know!! I'm a 1...but I don't know which 1 I am, because the 1s classify themselves all over the place. I've typed myself as a 1b because it's not 1a, and the 1cs seem to be wavier than I. But tbh, 1b seems to be the broadest category on here, ranging from what I would call 'stick straight' to 'that seems pretty wavy to me...'. But it also has to do with culture, I think. People from areas where most people's hair is straight tend to think 'oh it could be straighter, I guess I'm 1b', where people from areas where there's a bit more curl think 'oh, my hair is so straight compared to my friends, I guess I'm 1b, too!"

xoxo_laura
August 22nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
Ugh, I 100% agree with you Arya! I'm obviously a 1 but I have no idea whether I'm a 1a or 1b. When I look at girls who flat iron their hair (or very very occassionally flat iron my own) I think "I could be way straighter!" but then I look at my regular hair and I think "wow, I don't see a bit of wave." So I'm totally stuck! I go by a 1a/1b, which I actually think is kinda perfect, for now anyway haha! Next time I wash & air dry I will post pics so other can give their opinions :)

EbonyCurls
August 22nd, 2011, 01:46 AM
You can use any of the photos in my album. I think I am a solid 3b but if you use a photo I'll leave the typing to the experts :)

Arya
August 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Ugh, I 100% agree with you Arya! I'm obviously a 1 but I have no idea whether I'm a 1a or 1b. When I look at girls who flat iron their hair (or very very occassionally flat iron my own) I think "I could be way straighter!" but then I look at my regular hair and I think "wow, I don't see a bit of wave." So I'm totally stuck! I go by a 1a/1b, which I actually think is kinda perfect, for now anyway haha! Next time I wash & air dry I will post pics so other can give their opinions :)

We should have a 1s meeting and come up with some better guidelines, encourage people to consider retyping!

MissManda
August 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
I'd be happy to contribute a picture for a new visual hair typing guide. :D I've been meaning to take a new hair typing picture, but it hasn't happened yet because attempts to let my hair air dry without messing with it get botched somehow, which pulls out what bodywave thingies I do have.

I'm not sure whether I'm a 1b or a 1c, TBH. I am positive that I am not a 1a because my hair has too much body wave for it and gets the straight-haired version of frizz. Even when my hair gets very limp, there's still a little bit of body to it and even if I comb it to be stick straight, the body wave comes back after a while. If I manage not to touch my hair, I get a loose, stretched out double S (like two Ss stacked on top of each other), but I have to be careful because it disappears so easily.

Arya
August 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'd be happy to contribute a picture for a new visual hair typing guide. :D I've been meaning to take a new hair typing picture, but it hasn't happened yet because attempts to let my hair air dry without messing with it get botched somehow, which pulls out what bodywave thingies I do have.

I'm not sure whether I'm a 1b or a 1c, TBH. I am positive that I am not a 1a because my hair has too much body wave for it and gets the straight-haired version of frizz. Even when my hair gets very limp, there's still a little bit of body to it and even if I comb it to be stick straight, the body wave comes back after a while. If I manage not to touch my hair, I get a loose, stretched out double S (like two Ss stacked on top of each other), but I have to be careful because it disappears so easily.

Mine does that too! The second I manipulate my hair in any way shape or form, double S shape is gone, defined ends are gone, and my hair forms one looong S. Would that be a defining quality that we can decide on for categorizing 1bs or 1cs?

Ayasha1
August 22nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
i cannot view the photos on the new guide. also i have s waves on my top half of hair but the underneath is this weird frizzy mess of straight hairs and hairs that spiral into their own individual curls. each strand is its own curl and none match together. is this buildup maybe? i am new here this might not be the place to post this question if so my bad:\

mallorykay13
August 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
I have been having a hard time hair typing so I am excited to see this go up.

xoxo_laura
August 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
We should have a 1s meeting and come up with some better guidelines, encourage people to consider retyping!

Yes that would be a great idea for a thread! We really need lots of 1's to help five explanations as to what makes an A an A, a B a B, etc. I feel for some people words like "bodywave" are totally understandable but for others they need more in depth explanations and of course pictures :)

redcelticcurls
August 22nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
I like the idea of the in betweens. It's more work, but many fit an in between as opposed to a solid one type only.

Also, the descriptors in the 3s are vague and a bit outdated. It would be great if curl diameter was taken more into account to mesh with Walker's numeric system. A good amount of 3s here uptype themselves; a fair amount of self labeled 3c's are a's and b's. A more concrete description would help. Also, a 3 can have an S curl or a spiral curl with the same type. 4a is described as S curl when 4a can be an S or a tight coil.

jessie58
August 22nd, 2011, 11:29 PM
I like the idea of the in betweens. It's more work, but many fit an in between as opposed to a solid one type only.

Also, the descriptors in the 3s are vague and a bit outdated. It would be great if curl diameter was taken more into account to mesh with Walker's numeric system. A good amount of 3s here uptype themselves; a fair amount of self labeled 3c's are a's and b's. A more concrete description would help. Also, a 3 can have an S curl or a spiral curl with the same type. 4a is described as S curl when 4a can be an S or a tight coil.

I am so confused. LOL

I've been here for 5 1/2 years and still not entirely sure why type of hair I have. :o

Arya
August 22nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
Yes that would be a great idea for a thread! We really need lots of 1's to help five explanations as to what makes an A an A, a B a B, etc. I feel for some people words like "bodywave" are totally understandable but for others they need more in depth explanations and of course pictures :)

Agreed. It would be good to work out more concrete guidelines for how to type. But I think the bulk of the mistyping is in the 1s. It really seems to be 'go with whatever you decide' than any set out system. I think the other problem with straighties is maybe the 'untouched rule'. For me, if I don't touch it, for maybe an hour after it's dry I get S curves, but with any manipulation whatsoever they fall out. Perhaps if we came up with some characteristics of straight hair besides whether or not it has any 'body wave' it would be better. Maybe we should start a new thread, and discuss it?

redcelticcurls
August 23rd, 2011, 12:11 AM
I can't see the differences in 1s the same way I do in 3s, perhaps because I am a 3. :)

I believe you, but it's harder for me to notice it because I suck at typing 1s.

redcelticcurls
August 23rd, 2011, 12:14 AM
I am so confused. LOL

I've been here for 5 1/2 years and still not entirely sure why type of hair I have. :o

I'm only going by your avatar, but your assessment looks good to me.

redcelticcurls
August 23rd, 2011, 12:20 AM
Agreed. It would be good to work out more concrete guidelines for how to type. But I think the bulk of the mistyping is in the 1s. It really seems to be 'go with whatever you decide' than any set out system. I think the other problem with straighties is maybe the 'untouched rule'. For me, if I don't touch it, for maybe an hour after it's dry I get S curves, but with any manipulation whatsoever they fall out. Perhaps if we came up with some characteristics of straight hair besides whether or not it has any 'body wave' it would be better. Maybe we should start a new thread, and discuss it?

I enjoy the nitty gritty of typing specifics, lol. A thread could be interesting.

Some debate probably would be had on being overly nitpicky. But, at the other end, typing sometimes appears to be willy nilly. I sometimes hate responding to a typing thread if the OP is upset that someone doesn't 'see' the type she wants to have. Hey, I'd love to be a 3c/4a, but putting it in my info won't make it true! ;)

Still, it does make for good discussion. I'd like less vague descriptors.

Arya
August 23rd, 2011, 12:29 AM
I enjoy the nitty gritty of typing specifics, lol. A thread could be interesting.

Some debate probably would be had on being overly nitpicky. But, at the other end, typing sometimes appears to be willy nilly. I sometimes hate responding to a typing thread if the OP is upset that someone doesn't 'see' the type she wants to have. Hey, I'd love to be a 3c/4a, but putting it in my info won't make it true! ;)

Still, it does make for good discussion. I'd like less vague descriptors.

Agreed! 1as seem to know who they are for the most part, but 1b and 1cs are allll over the board!

Thread started for those interested here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=77002

jessie58
August 23rd, 2011, 12:32 AM
I'm only going by your avatar, but your assessment looks good to me.

That's my problem, under the canopy are spirally curls and along my neckline are tight ringlets. The crown is almost straight. As I always say, my hair needs to get together and have a little conference and decide on one hair type. :D

redcelticcurls
August 23rd, 2011, 12:39 AM
That's my problem, under the canopy are spirally curls and along my neckline are tight ringlets. The crown is almost straight. As I always say, my hair needs to get together and have a little conference and decide on one hair type. :D

What you describe is pretty common in the 2c to 3a area. It's a middle ground. It's an in between state at times. Part of the challenge of those types is learning to deal with an accept (or not, by styling methods) the in between-ness. I like the term wurly because it does cross both sides of wavy and curly.

NightOwl26
August 23rd, 2011, 12:43 AM
The guide didn't show the pics. Text helped me determine I'm 2a. No more in-between! My hair is still too short to see the wave's full potential.

Sunshineliz
August 23rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Is anyone still working on the visual part of the guide? This is an old thread.

Lianna
August 23rd, 2011, 11:35 AM

My problem too. I really don't mind being a mixed type but it's weird in the forum because my pictures don't show the hair type I say I am. Most my pictures look 2a/2b (because I comb wet).

EbonyCurls
August 24th, 2011, 04:13 AM
My theory is that a "hair type" is not necessarily something that you are or even something you have. It describes the structure of the hair in whatever current state it is in. So you can have different hair types depending on what style you do.

If I don't put any product in my hair (which is never) it would be a very fluffy 3a. Since I always use hair gel I consider myself a 3b because that's how I know it.

Mesmerise
August 24th, 2011, 04:43 AM

Mine is like this but not to the same degree of curliness :p I have hair ranging from about 1b to 2c (it forms ringlets underneath, but parts on top are quite straight). It drives me NUTS lol. If it didn't look so weird and random I'd be happier with it! Still, I haven't straightened for 6 months, so I'm doing okay...

Barniie
August 24th, 2011, 04:51 AM
maybe one of each hairtype (eg. 2b) and thickness (so 2bi 2bii 2biii).
That might help with thickness typing?

ETA: Also, my hair is wavy when it dries untouched, but when I brush it, it pretty much turns completely straight! Hmmm, more needed on this...

redcelticcurls
August 24th, 2011, 10:37 AM
My theory is that a "hair type" is not necessarily something that you are or even something you have. It describes the structure of the hair in whatever current state it is in. So you can have different hair types depending on what style you do.

If I don't put any product in my hair (which is never) it would be a very fluffy 3a. Since I always use hair gel I consider myself a 3b because that's how I know it.

I think that happens a lot, and I think it's a bit deceptive and misleading and contributes to the typing confusion seen. I can make my hair look like a 1, but that doesn't make me a 1.

annieangel149
August 24th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Thank you :)
But I have to say a sleek surface in not necessarily for the straight only, straight hair reflects light differently, but there can still be straighties which have a rougher surface (=can hold more volume)

What I was wondering about the description of the hairtypes:

yes i agree! for me its so difficult! I have no wave pattern but after my hair is washed it has alot of body and so i would class it a 1b! however a day or two after it looks like a 1a? :poot:

what do i go with? the day of my hair wash or after?

Sunshineliz
August 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM

Do you think that is the same as porosity? Perhaps elasticity and porosity should be included because they seem to have ALOT to do with haircare routines and how the hair behaves. Over at NaturallyCurly a lot of people post their porostiy and elasticity in their siggies.

ETA: Of course it does seem a little confusing, because it seems you can modify those a bit (especially elasticity) with routine. I think? *wanders off confused*

Charlotte:)
August 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Someone else mentioned this idea in another thread, but I think it would be much more helpful if we had videos of different hairtypes along with still pictures, because it helps to see how different hair types move as well (like when they shake thier heads back and forth or run their fingers through it).

Gumball
August 24th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Is anyone still working on the visual part of the guide? This is an old thread.

Actually, very few have become involved with the creation of the new guide (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62516), which has caused it to stagnate.

MissManda
August 24th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Actually, very few have become involved with the creation of the new guide (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62516), which has caused it to stagnate.

Maybe the stickied thread for the New Guide could be moved to a more frequented part of the boards so more members will notice it? The Hairstyle of the Month Board seems like an odd place to put it.

Arya
August 25th, 2011, 12:24 AM

As in, few people have sent in their pictures?

Finoriel
August 28th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I'm afraid that would not help MissManda. The problem is that people generally "ignore" stickies. It's an odd psychological effect or something :lol: if you are used to seeing something all the time it become an old hat and you don't notice it any longer. This happens with all stickies and announcements. So placing them on all boards would just clutter the forum and make everybody scroll more, but not really help with noticing them. We are trying to have less of them and just place them in the appropriate areas and not everywhere, to save scroll work in the upper part of the forums.

The moderation team is trying to compile an official LHC guide since January, to have it published on LHC and stored in the LHC photobucket to avoid having it disappear again, but it's actually not many people who were sending in usable pictures during those 8 months Arya.
That may be partly because of the strict quality and anonymity/safety restrictions for submitting them, but it just would not be a good idea to skip those. And then it's also an issue with the most common hairtypes on LHC having the most submitted pictures of course, but the less common hairtypes having none.

Sunshineliz
October 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM
So basically you need more pictures? Especially of the least common hairtypes? Could you tell people which types you need more of?

And the pics need to be...back of the head, freshly washed and airdried, no products, no mirror pics, and needs to be yourself? Does length matter? Perhaps there could be a new thread with a call for pics--you know to sort of draw attention to it again? It'd be really nice if there was a new visual guide. Because an imperfect one is better than none at all.

LaceyNg
October 16th, 2011, 10:29 PM
yes, please let us know which hair types are still needed, so we can get this show on the road! :)

i'm excited to see the new visual hairtyping guide!

MissManda
October 16th, 2011, 10:37 PM
So basically you need more pictures? Especially of the least common hairtypes? Could you tell people which types you need more of?

And the pics need to be...back of the head, freshly washed and airdried, no products, no mirror pics, and needs to be yourself? Does length matter? Perhaps there could be a new thread with a call for pics--you know to sort of draw attention to it again? It'd be really nice if there was a new visual guide. Because an imperfect one is better than none at all.

This! :)

I didn't realize that others didn't tend to pay attention to stickies. :o I guess it really is an unconscious reaction. I'll be more than happy to contribute a hair typing picture since I've been meaning to get a photo of what my hair looks like untouched anyway.

Lostsoule77
October 16th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I've been meaning to submit one, but wasn't sure what was still needed. The thread that says you need the hair types says it will be updated when you have enough of a certain type and it hadn't been so I wasn't sure what was going on. I'm also not 100% on my type so I figured I need to get that taken care of first. I just don't seem to have the time to allow my hair to dry without disruption of the hair. I'll try to get on it though (if you need 2b) because I think it would be so helpful for people if this was finished.

FrozenBritannia
October 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I'm afraid that would not help MissManda. The problem is that people generally "ignore" stickies. It's an odd psychological effect or something :lol: if you are used to seeing something all the time it become an old hat and you don't notice it any longer. This happens with all stickies and announcements. So placing them on all boards would just clutter the forum and make everybody scroll more, but not really help with noticing them. We are trying to have less of them and just place them in the appropriate areas and not everywhere, to save scroll work in the upper part of the forums.

The moderation team is trying to compile an official LHC guide since January, to have it published on LHC and stored in the LHC photobucket to avoid having it disappear again, but it's actually not many people who were sending in usable pictures during those 8 months Arya.
That may be partly because of the strict quality and anonymity/safety restrictions for submitting them, but it just would not be a good idea to skip those. And then it's also an issue with the most common hairtypes on LHC having the most submitted pictures of course, but the less common hairtypes having none.

Do you need any 1a/1b/F/i shots? I don't know my friction or porosity but right after washing with my current routine I have volume.

vindo
October 19th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Do you think that is the same as porosity? Perhaps elasticity and porosity should be included because they seem to have ALOT to do with haircare routines and how the hair behaves. Over at NaturallyCurly a lot of people post their porostiy and elasticity in their siggies.

ETA: Of course it does seem a little confusing, because it seems you can modify those a bit (especially elasticity) with routine. I think? *wanders off confused*

Porousity is not the same as the "friction" I described. Porous goes hand in hand with damage. I would say it is often rather connected to coarseness.
But it does not always have to like that, some hair can be really silky with a sleek even surface, and some hair has a less even surface and is less shiny, but just as healthy. :)

I remember my French Teacher in HS, she had very very straight but puffy and voluminous waist length hair that was not very shiny but healthy, not dyed, nicely trimmed.

vindo
October 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM
yes i agree! for me its so difficult! I have no wave pattern but after my hair is washed it has alot of body and so i would class it a 1b! however a day or two after it looks like a 1a? :poot:

what do i go with? the day of my hair wash or after?

Depends, I would say 'body wave' as described in 1b does not = volume, but rather is a really slight curve to straight hair, almost like one single body wave all throughout the hair that often shows a bit at the ends, that hang like this ((()))(( rather than 1a |||| :)

And 1a should look the same on day after wash 1,2,3,4 etc., whereas wavy or curly hair can slightly change in texture.

Sunshineliz
May 9th, 2013, 08:52 PM
bumping

because it'd be nice to have clear access to a visual hairtyping guide again...