PDA

View Full Version : Did I mess up my henna gloss?

Buggheart
March 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Sorry to create yet another henna gloss thread but I didn't see this particular issue covered anywhere, thus the new thread.

Today I decided to do a henna gloss. I've got 100g of punjabi prime that I don't like for a full head application but figured would be good enough for a gloss. So I mixed up a good amount of powder and warm water to make about a quarter cup of henna goo and let it develop for about 2 hours. I poured a good amount of conditioner (Aveda Rosemary Mint) into the goo and mixed thoroughly. It made at least 1 cup of gloss, maybe closer to 1.5 cups.

Everything looked fine but the consistency was totally annoying and so messy I'm reluctant to do it again. It was like trying to spread canned pumpkin in my hair. It was nice and soft but it just crumbled all over the place and made the worst mess ever. What's more, water from the mixture was just pouring down my face and neck. The counter and bathroom floor were a mess until I finally stepped into the shower to finish.

I cannot even believe the awful consistency and drippage. Should I have added more conditioner or someting to change the consistency? Or does the same thing happen to you when you do a gloss?

amaiaisabella
March 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought you just added henna powder to the conditioner for a gloss. :confused: Not sure how it would achieve color release, though.

kdaniels8811
March 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM
When I do root touch ups I mix henna and warm water and let the color develop about 8 hours. The consistancy is like pudding. For the gloss, I pour in about a half cup of conditioner into the remaining henna and glop onto my hair. Then I take a garbage bag, fold it into a triangle, and tie it over my hair like an old fashioned kerchief to keep it from going everywhere. I wrap a towel over that to keep the warmth in and leave it on about a half hour and rinse out. Yes, henna glosses are messy. But the results are so worth it!

I have also cut down on the amount of liquid in the henna goop to try to reduce the amount of liquid running down my face. But I do carry a washcloth to wipe the drips.

jojo
March 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I mixed my henna with boiling water and a splash of lemon juice to a mud like consistency, just enough water to mix the powder, I then thin it out with loads of conditioner. I didn't get too much mess doing it this way, but have done then thinner in the past and it looked like a flock of ducks had flown in my bathroom and pooped everywhere!!

rach
March 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
100g of punjabi prime - that does sound like an lot of henna for a gloss, correct me if i'm wrong. haven't done it before. mess - yes, henna/cassa which i've used is a muddy mess but the results are worth it. i generally got the impression you have to keep at least for the henna or cassia (on hair) had to be kept body warm and kept damp ie. under cling film . which contains the mess slightly. :) i use a wooly hat also help with the warmth.
i've done this also in past done pure conditioner on my hair a wrapped round with cling film to contain it and don't get container slithering down my neck and shoulders, works wonders .

GlassEyes
March 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
100 grams is enough to do a full head henna on some people. WAAAAY too much for a simple gloss. xD; At most, I think people add two tablespoons of powder to about a 1/4-1/2 cup of conditioner. It's not supposed to be that thick, thus why it's only a 'gloss'.

Granted, I did the same thing. Last time I THOUGHT I did a gloss, it was really a full headed henna. XD :shrug:

Buggheart
March 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I didn't use the whole 100g, only enough to make about a quarter cup of paste. Maybe a few tablespoons at the most. I generally use 100g to do a whole head henna application though.

I think I needed to add more conditioner to make it more creamy and not so dry. The gloss worked, it was just super messy, moreso than doing a full head henna. Just struck me as odd that it was so extremely messy.

jojo
March 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Yes thats exactly what I do, your hair looks super shiny in your siggi