PDA

View Full Version : What's the Perfect Spot for a Sock Bun?

LittleOrca
March 26th, 2009, 04:52 PM
So I love the look of a sock bun and finally made my hair donut from two old socks (one a dress sock so my hair wont snag or anything). I tried it out and put the bun at a diagonal up from my ear tips. Imagine drawing two lines up from them and that is where the bun was. With all my hair though I found the bun quite heavy and after it only being in my hair for 2 hours, I had to take it down.

When I got on here to look up some bun stuff, I noticed that some women, namely LadyLongLocks/JJJ, wear these buns and I want to know how! How do you manage to wear a bun like this for longer than just two hours? Is there a "sweet spot" on the head for where a person with thick hair should wear their bun so they don't get a headache?

plainjanegirl
March 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I would like to know this too. A sock bun is so fast and easy to do, but like you say it feels heavy and after awhile it must come down.

Elphie
March 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I wear mine a bit higher but it's kind of hard to describe the exact spot. It's slightly past where my part ends and the back of my hair begins?

Alia
March 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Pinning around the edges securely to distribute the weight and keep the bun from bobbling about helps. The sock bun is so pretty--I hope you can get it comfortable for yourself. :flower:

Anje
March 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
For me, buns tend to be more comfortable at or below ear level, since I tend to get scalp pain from the hair going a different direction after a few hours if I put them higher. If you don't have scalp pain issues, you might do well to put the bun above the crown of your head, so that the weight is resting on your skull, rather than pulling at your hairline, if that makes any sense.

Kina
March 26th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I put it right where I would put a high ponytail, no pull anywhere, very comfy

Heavenly Locks
March 26th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I vote for right on top of your head. :D :p Like a hat. *giggle*

Roseate
March 26th, 2009, 11:03 PM
When my hair was longer and heavier, there were only two places for a bun: all the way down at my nape or all the way up on top of my head. Sock buns look very sleek at the nape; I always feel like Evita Peron when I've got one on!

kwaniesiam
March 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/LHC%20and%20BME/DSCN0520.jpg

That is where I wear my sockbun. Maybe because of your hairtype it is feeling a bit heavy for you? I find them to have weight, but not enough to be uncomfortable since I have very fine, thin hair that isn't that long yet. i can even stick hairtoys through it comfortably as well :shrug: I like mine a bit lower but not at the nape.

LittleOrca
March 26th, 2009, 11:22 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/LHC%20and%20BME/DSCN0520.jpg

That is where I wear my sockbun. Maybe because of your hairtype it is feeling a bit heavy for you? I find them to have weight, but not enough to be uncomfortable since I have very fine, thin hair that isn't that long yet. i can even stick hairtoys through it comfortably as well :shrug: I like mine a bit lower but not at the nape.

I might have found my spot, ear the crown, but I will give one at this level a shot too :) btw, I love your hair stick and your avatar and title make me giggle :D