PDA

View Full Version : Possible style cheat?

Rebelkat
March 26th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Since my recent hair loss, I've noticed there are much fewer styles that I can do without looking awkward or ridiculous. My hair is definitely long enough for most styles, but is now too thin for them to appear the way that they should. I've been searching for a solution, and I think I may have found one. Now, here's the problem: I don't know if it will work. There's no way for me to know if it will work without some experimentation.
:hmm:
I know that you can buy synthetic hair wefts from beauty supply stores, similar to the kind used to make wigs and hair pieces. I'm wondering if it's possible to incorporate these into my buns and updos without damaging my real hair. I would only want to do this to add bulk to certain styles, like Dreamweaver Braiding's Rosestem Braid (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/rosestem.htm), not for everyday wear. Is it worth trying? Any suggestions to make this idea work?*

*Note: If I find a way to make this work, I plan to put instructions in the article section for others with similar problems.

marajade
March 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I've heard a lot about creating rats on here. . taking hose and stuffing fallen out hair? That might be worth looking into too.

:)

kdaniels8811
March 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
As a thin haired person, I think it is a great idea! Let us know what you come up with. And I love the "rat" idea, I have used that to plump up buns for years. Or nylon stockings close to your hair color to fill in a bun. But using hair extensions is a great idea, also.

Silverlox
March 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
What a clever idea! I can't see how merely adding some fake hair to your updos could in any way harm your hair. It would probably be no different for your hair than incorporating ribbons.

As far as I understand, the one thing considered harmful about extensions is the way they are attached to your hair. But you wouldn't be wearing extensions that were clued, ringed, weaved or in any other way stuck to your hair, just using it lose, adding some bulk.

Although I've never tried, mainly because finding fake grey hair seems to be very difficult, but I could imagine if you started some of your buns with a simple, banded ponytail. Hair friendly band, of course. You could add the extensions to your tail and then ponytail them together with your own hair. That way the fakes would be attached in a hair friendly way and bunning it should be easy as it all one tail.

Do your extensions have any kind of attachment at the scalp end? Like clips or combs? That would make it easy to attach to a bun made with your real hair. Just attach under or next to the bun, and wind it, adding it to the bun. Or perhaps clipping in the fakes, making a bun with them and then using your own hair to cover it, like an outer layer to the bun.

Of course you realise that starting a thread like this is going to make us call for pictures! You know that you need to show us the hair. Both separately and incorporated into a 'do. We love pictures. :D

rags
March 26th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I don't know how it would work, but if you find out, I want to know! And I want pictures!:p

Rebelkat
March 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Thank you, marajade and kdaniels8811, Silverloxand rags! Sorry if I missed anyone; the posts seem to be popping up between drafts of my posts *OCD, have to check everything!*.

I've heard a lot about creating rats on here. . taking hose and stuffing fallen out hair? That might be worth looking into too.

I had considered this for some buns, but for braided styles like the Rosestem braid, cascaded crowns, and classic braids just wouldn't work. That's why I'm looking into wefts.

Do your extensions have any kind of attachment at the scalp end? Like clips or combs? That would make it easy to attach to a bun made with your real hair. Just attach under or next to the bun, and wind it, adding it to the bun. Or perhaps clipping in the fakes, making a bun with them and then using your own hair to cover it, like an outer layer to the bun.

Of course you realise that starting a thread like this is going to make us call for pictures! You know that you need to show us the hair. Both separately and incorporated into a 'do. We love pictures.
I haven't gotten them yet because I just thought of the idea today. I will be looking for some this weekend and figure out whether I have the funds. If you want, I can see if they make gray ones and I'll let you know if they do. If not, I know they make white and there are methods you can use to dye synthetic hair (cosplayers do this often). I will definitely be posting pics once everything starts coming together!

freznow
March 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hair rats and false hair were in use a lot during eras past, when updo's were the only proper thing for proper ladies to wear, what with all those young girls going around with their hair down. And of course, they wanted BIG hair! So they used false hair in various ways.

One way is to braid it in. This is done commonly in braiding things like cornrows and microbraids. I have a rather lengthy process of doing my nightly braid, but it is secure - I braid my hair in a normal braid, then I take a scarf, put it through one opening at the top, and make it even on both sides. I then have the scarf composing 2 strands of my braid, and my braid composing the other, and I braid that. This doesn't slip like many other methods, but you have to have scarf/synthetic hair twice as long as your own braid. It would help to beef up your buns though. I'm sure you could find on the internet other ways to braid synthetic hair into your own hair without damage. (In doing a french braid, perhaps you could do the first few crossovers, slide the synthetic hair through that, and then continue braiding? Or, with practice, you could probably incorporate small sections of synthetic hair into your crossovers.)

As for buns, if you gather shed hair you can felt it into a hair rat. This looks a little weird, but you can then position it in the center of your bun, hidden by the hair still on your head, making the bun bigger. They also sell synthetic hair rats that tend to be easier to work with.

Lady Lilya
March 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I'm reading for ideas. I have thin hair ever since my pregnancy. My hair is curly, and when I have tried rats they have just looked disgusting.

Rebelkat
March 26th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm reading for ideas. I have thin hair ever since my pregnancy. My hair is curly, and when I have tried rats they have just looked disgusting.
I'll let you know how things go. Right now the big issue is finding them long enough to blend into my hair, regardless of weft type. I can always glue them onto clips myself! :redgrin:

Heavenly Locks
March 26th, 2009, 10:45 PM
What about some clip ins? :) They'd be secure and removable.

http://www.raquelwelchhairextensions.com/AllHair_Files/RwExtensions.jpg

You can even buy some very long hair and create your own if you can't find the length you'd need.

Rebelkat
March 26th, 2009, 11:31 PM
For those who want to join me in this experiment, there are extensions in all lengths, colors, and types here (http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Hair-Extensions/). The one that looks the most promising (http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/ShapeShifter-Monofiber/) you'd have to weft yourself, but it's quite inexpensive. It took me quite a while to find this, but I'm glad I did!

Silverlox
March 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I haven't gotten them yet because I just thought of the idea today. I will be looking for some this weekend and figure out whether I have the funds. If you want, I can see if they make gray ones and I'll let you know if they do. If not, I know they make white and there are methods you can use to dye synthetic hair (cosplayers do this often). I will definitely be posting pics once everything starts coming together!

Thank you! I suppose I could always get some white and black and mix myself. Never thought of that before. Now you've got my ideas going, there'll be no stopping me! :D

Hm. Like I needed any more enabling! :silly:

For those who want to join me in this experiment, there are extensions in all lengths, colors, and types here (http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Hair-Extensions/). The one that looks the most promising (http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/ShapeShifter-Monofiber/) you'd have to weft yourself, but it's quite inexpensive. It took me quite a while to find this, but I'm glad I did!

Oooh! Links!! :joy:
Rushes off to look at everything there.

Rebelkat
March 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Oooh! Links!! :joy:
Rushes off to look at everything there.

I know right? Nothing's more fun than pics and links! :cheese:
I'm probably going to buy some swatches soon and figure everything out from there, if I can't find anything acceptable at the local beauty supply store. I wonder (since I'll be applying them at the back of my head towards the lower half) if I should get the 36" and have to cut some off, or if I should get the 24" length and hope it will be long enough. :ponder:

Silverlox
March 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Oh, my!! Did they have a LOT of fun stuff to look at! :bigeyes: And things I've never even heard about.. I suddenly feel as if I've lead a very sheltered life. Or perhaps I'm just old. I'm definitely out of the loop, that's for sure! :silly:
Let me just say bikini styles. :agape:

OOooooOOOoooo!!! And they have this (http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Kanekalon-Jumbo-Braid/) in grey! :inlove:

Oh, Rebelkat, you evil, bad, horrible enabler, you!! :smooch:

Silverlox
March 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I know right? Nothing's more fun than pics and links! :cheese:
I'm probably going to buy some swatches soon and figure everything out from there, if I can't find anything acceptable at the local beauty supply store. I wonder (since I'll be applying them at the back of my head towards the lower half) if I should get the 36" and have to cut some off, or if I should get the 24" length and hope it will be long enough. :ponder:

Pics and links are definitely my downfall. They get me. Every. Single. Time! :p

Eh.. Why cut anything off? Would it really matter if they are a bit longer than your hair?
I mean, if you're using it in a bun anyway, who would know? :shrug:
Remember also that your hair is still growing. The lose bits wont.

Rebelkat
March 27th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Oh, Rebelkat, you evil, bad, horrible enabler, you!! :smooch:
:o Aww! Shucks! I love enabling. Enabling is FUN! Everyone needs a little enabling sometimes. lol

Heavenly Locks
March 28th, 2009, 12:13 AM
:silly:
Let me just say bikini styles. :agape:

Well, the curtains should match the drapes. :o LOL When I was dancing and bleached my hair...this was a necessary product!

Silverlox
March 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM
:o Aww! Shucks! I love enabling. Enabling is FUN! Everyone needs a little enabling sometimes. lol

Need?? Are you nuts!! The last thing I need is more enabling! :justy:
As if life isn't full of temptations already.. mumble-grumble

Well, the curtains should match the drapes. :o LOL When I was dancing and bleached my hair...this was a necessary product!

Heh. You're right, of course! :o

I've definitely lead a sheltered lift. And I am old. :doh:

Back then you could always tell who the natural blondes were. And we surely didn't have "hair styles" going on down there. A little pruning at the most when the swimwear season arrived.

Oh, well. :shrug: Luckily Nature has colour coordinated all of me, both when I was a brunette/blackette(?) and again, now that I have the silver look going. :p

Blackette?? Is that even a word? :confused: Well, it is now!