PDA

View Full Version : Who had long hair before BDs?

atlantaz3
April 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Just wondering who had long hair before Blow Dryers. I think my mom finally bought me a travel blow dryer in my Junior year of HS (cough um 1978). It dawned on me the last time I had really long hair - mid back - was pre blow dryer. I can also remember the pain of having to sit with curlers in my hair for about four hours under a plastic cap and a long hose attached to a home hair dryer (that was bought with green stamps!). I was never patient enough to let it all dry - so it never worked and Mom was only willing to roll my hair about twice a year anyway! (According to yahoo answers the first hand held home blow dryers came out in 1971.)

dancingbarefoot
April 2nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
I've only used a blowdryer about 5 times in my entire life. It just seems like an awful waste of time to sit around drying it when it'll dry by itself with no help from me.

Xanthippe
April 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Well, I've never had a blowdryer, does that count? :wink:

ladystar
April 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I blow dry and my hair is long. :p ( but been trying not to do it so much only when going somewere nice) :shrug:

Raederle
April 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
I had nearly TB hair before hair dryers. Then I had TB hair still, after I used a blowdryer once and came to the same intelligent conclusion that DBF did, namely, that hair will dry quite satisfactorily on its own.

jojo
April 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
yeah i have as a child but I have vivid memories of my father making me sit close to the coal fire, turning me periodically until my hair dried, so still used heat!

Ursula
April 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
I've never owned a blow dryer, although I've used one on occasion (my family had one when I was young.)

As DBF said, there doesn't seem to be much point in making that much effort to do something to your hair that it will do quite effectively on its own.

I've also never used rollers on my hair. I was given a curling iron as a high school graduation present, and used it maybe half a dozen times, total, and then only to try and curl my bangs. It didn't seem to do much, except burn my forehead.

It all seems rather silly to me - hair will dry on its own, bangs will stay back much more quickly and easily with a couple of bobby pins, etc.

I'm not quite sure what people mean when they say they save the hair dryer for "special occasions" or for going somewhere nice. For a special occasion, I'll wash my hair the night before, or just put it up with fancier hairsticks.

jel
April 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Who had long hair before BDs?

OK, this is proof that my French lessons are working (and nothing to do with my geekiness, no)! First thing I thought of was Bandes Dessinees, comics (or graphic novels). Then I wondered what kind of comics have started recently enough to allow some people to have had long hair before them... And why they were relevant - are there any hair comics I'm not aware of?

Ahem.

Personally, I used a blow dryer throughout my childhood. That lapsed during my teenage years, (mostly due to laziness :D) and that's when I grew my hair past BSL for the first time (also due to laziness).

ladystar
April 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Well to me it just looks silky and smooth when I blowdry thats why i do it for an "special occasions". I rather have it down than up. If I let it just hair dry and dont put something in it or dont blowdry I look like a lion. lol I am trying my best not to. =(

Rain
April 2nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
I remember air drying only as a child in the '70s. My mom had a hair dryer but the kids did not use it. Pretty sure I air dried exclusively until I was in junior high and got into mousse and gel and hairspray. Hey, it was the '80s. :wink:

I do see a point in blowing my hair dry. It looks completely different if I air dry it. And I just don't like going around with cold, clammy hair for hours. I usually diffuse for a few minutes to get the look I want and avoid being cold. I almost never blow it out straight but I know how to do it without frying my hair.

Elfling
April 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
yeah i have as a child but I have vivid memories of my father making me sit close to the coal fire, turning me periodically until my hair dried, so still used heat!
:D When I was younger, I used to comb my hair in front of the furnace during wintertime so it would dry faster. I've never used a blow dryer, even though my mom and sisters all did...I'm not sure why I never liked it.

PseudoScot
April 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
I've owned a hair drier in the past few years, but only because a friend that visited me left it there, and then I kept it for other guests - that's the only time it came out of the drawer.

If you mean long hair before blow driers were invented, I'm not that old :D

I used a blow drier a couple of times as a kid/young teen but that was before I grew my hair out. Once it got long enough I've pretty much just always wetbunned it if I had to be somewhere, or washed it early enough it dries in time.

Other than that, the only time I used one was for a couple of shows in college - which means specifically 4 or 5 times. And that was some time ago! ;)

cindy58
April 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
I had thick long hair until I cut it at 16. We had a blow dryer, but I didn't use it because it took FOREVER to dry and I seemed to have frizzier hair after using it. I used to wash before bed and let it dry overnight, as I often do now.

My curly haired sister still duked it out with the blow dryer though -- she didn't appreciate her curls at all at the time and really wanted straight hair.

egg99
April 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
My mum got me a blowdryer a few years ago... was a waste of money really. I never used it, so she ended up comandeering it for herself!

Pilgrim
April 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Yep, I had long hair before blow dryers. I remember when they first came out (people used hood dryers before that, if anything). I didn't use one until I got my long hair cut into a much shorter, layered style. As I remember it, blow dryers ushered in a lot of shorter styles that demanded a blow dryer and round brush to look the way they were supposed to. I don't use one now that my hair is longer again. :bluebiggr

MemSahib
April 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
I had long hair before blow dryers. I guess I must have mainly air dryed although the dryers with a hose and bonnet were popular and one of those was always around somewhere. I really don't remember.

NightingaleLHC
April 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I had TB length hair until I was 9, and then I cut it to my shoulders and let it go poofy for a few years (I was a tomboy so I didn't care what my hair did). When I got to middle school at age 11, I cut my hair to chin length and my mom blow dried it for me every day (what a great mom! I don't think I would do that for anyone!). I guess I started doing it myself at age 12. I continued to blow dry, flat iron, and have short hair until my senior year of high school, which was the longest I had it until now, at approximately APL and continued to blow dry and iron. I finally gave up the heat tools 2 years ago.

So I guess the answer is yes, I did, but then I cut it shorter and used a BD (same old story, huh?)

Lisa-Maria
April 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I tried blowdrying from time to time but it always took so long so I never stuck with it, standing still blowdrying for half an hour each time! I really don't have the patience for that.

Carolyn
April 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I had long hair way before blow dryers. There were hand held dryers before 1971. They just weren't called blow dryers. I don't recall exactly what we called them. The one we had was metal with a handle. Very similar shape to many of the dryers on the market today. My mom would pin curl my hair and then make me sit there and she would shoot the hot air at my head. She would pin curl my hair every Saturday afternoon and it didn't get washed again until the next Saturday. Gaaaa-roossssssss! :scared:That was in the late 50s/early 60s. My college roommate in 1968-69 had one and used it on her waist length hair. I started 9th grade in 1964 and rolled my hair EVERY SINGLE night of high school including weekends and summers. Yes I really did that. I rolled it on a combination of plastic magnetic rollers and mesh/brush rollers with the brushes taken out. I used a soft bonnet dryer some night. Most nights I didn't dry it at all because it would dry overnight. Luscious curls in the morning! :D

The reason I like to blow dry occasionally now is that I love my hair really straight with a slight curl up or under on the ends. My hair doesn't dry like that if I air dry. I don't see it as a waste of time if it's getting me that hair I want. I'd do it everyday but I know that would ruin my hair. So I settle for a few special occasions a year. Some occasions are good for wearing my hair down and some aren't so I have to pick and choose. I should try rolling it again and see what happens but I think I'm too lazy to roll it. Last time it was rolled was when I went to Enchantress a couple years ago. It was a hot humid day and my lovely rolled hair lasted a couple of hours.

jtl45
April 2nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
I never have ever used a bd on my hair regardless of the length! I do recall some occasions when I was a kid and had very long hair that my mom would wash it and pull out this plastic bonnet with a long air hose and I would have to sit there and watch tv!
Jim

FB
April 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
I have always used a hair dryer because to me it takes to long to air dry and plus my scalp feels like a swamp when I lay on my wet hair and then it is yucky after that. So now I have an important question to all the wise women out there. I heard that an ionic BD is better than a standard BD...is that true?? I know all BD's are bad but unitl I am not addicted anymore maybe if the ionic is better I could use that in the mean time. Advice???

goodenough
April 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Ladystar--i think we're almost hair twins--our length and color are identical! My hair is pretty straight, though. (With or without blowdrying) I've been blowdrying more because I've developed a hatred for the way it feels wet. It takes well over four hours to dry. To be bone dry it's more like 6 hours. I have two kids, homeschool, and work a lot--I just can't deal with it wet. I'd cut it in a heartbeat if that was the only option. If I bun it, it comes down as wet as it started. And I can't sleep on it wet. My ends dry out faster, but I get regular cuts anyway. I only wash twice a week, so I blowfry twice a week. If my goal were to gain more than just a few inches, I'd have to figure something out I guess. I use the curling iron maybe twice a month. It makes me happy--I love waves since I'm so straight.

I use a handheld and lift the hair up to dry my scalp (especially in the back where I get dandruff if my scalp stays wet too long) I brush it and give it a once over to smooth it out. It takes less than 5 minutes, and my hair's still a little damp when I stop. If my goal were longer than waist--I'd avoid the fryer, since it really does make my ends a little crunchy. I don't think my mom owned a blow dryer--and her her was tailbone when I was little.

ladystar
April 2nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
goodenough
Well my hair is not straight its pretty wavy. The way that you see it on my signature it's BD. I have other pictures in my album that show my wavy hair. My hair takes forever to dry also. If i wash it put it in a braid to sleep and don't take it out all day It will be damped most of the next day. When my hair was longer than now I didn't not need a blow dryer because it weighed down my hair so much so its wasn't as wavy and Puffy. I even think its thicker now. I only wash my hair once a week and oil it when I have it up in a ponytail. I plan not to BD for the summer because of the humidity and the sun (beach day's) Only if I am going some were special. I try to do that now. It makes me feel good like you said. Plus I have been BD my friends hair since I was 13 so I guess I am use to it, and the time it takes doesn't really bother me.:shrug:

dancingbarefoot
April 2nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
The last time I tried to use a blowdryer was in 1997 when I lived in Japan. Japanese houses don't have central heating, so my host mother was worried about me sleeping with wet hair. At the time my hair was only waist length, but I spent almost an hour blowdrying it - and it was still damp after all that time! My hair's too thick to make blowdrying a quick process. I tried to humor her but I just did it that one time because it took too long.

wendyg
April 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
When I was a kid I had long hair as soon as I had any choice in the matter, but the only dryers I knew about were those bonnet things, which are what my mother used (she had shot hair and styled it with pin curls). I think the fact that I hated being tied to one for so long was probably the reason I took to air drying as soon as I could. Eventually I discovered blow dryers and bought one, I think after college, but really I only used it if I needed to wash my hair shortly before going on stage (I was a full-time musician then).

wg

Islandgrrl
April 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I received a blowdryer from my mother when I was in High School (mid-70s). I was a complete spaz with it then, and I"m pretty sure I still would be. The only time I used one on a regular basis was when my hair was spiral permed (it was the 80s, come on, big hair was a LAW), and I used it to straighten my bangs. I haven't owned one since 1991, when I quit working in Corporate America to stay home with my kids (and grow my hair because I couldn't afford perms anymore).

Iylivarae
April 3rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I always used a blowdryer when I was young, I also grew my hair to BSL this time... then I cut it when it got so greasy due to puberty. But it was not damaged at this time, as far as I remember.

Alaskanheart
April 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
I had long hair, not super long but it was always longer than bsl, not as long as waist, until I cut it into a style that required it to be blowdried and roundbrushed or it would look choppy and that was like 7 years ago, now that I dont use the blowdrier Im growing out my hair, or I should say I am growing out my hair so I dont blowdry. Fine hair with round brush and tons of heat = lots of breakage = cutting of breakage=short hair. Or at least thats how it works for me.I dont have enough patience to use it on the cool setting, and that doesnt do anything for the styled cuts anyways.

busnutmedic
April 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
I don't recall ever drying my hair with a blow dryer except maybe when I was really young. I vaguely remember having one and having it used, so I know it must have happened!

Bonnie

*BelievingAgain
April 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Hmmm, the longest my hair got to was just above tailbone when I was 14, then I had a big cut.

I wasn't actually growing it for any real purpose, it was almost like one day I saw some photos of my long hair out and went, 'OMG, is that ME??!! How did my hair get that long??' Lol. So I never used a hair-dryer when my hair was last long, I used to just braid when wet and to sleep in, and wore up most of the time in the day.

I've never really used a hairdryer on a regular basis as a styling tool, more as a means to heat up my hair when it has a treatment on it, or to ensure my damp braids were pretty much dry before I took them out the next morning. When I've had a fringe (bangs?) recently, before my big chop last week, I would sometimes use my hair dryer to put them into place.

Now I'm trying to treat my hair with as much care as possible, so I just use a little jojoba or kukui nut oil mixed with some vanilla Body Shop oil as both a leave-in moisture treatment and a styling agent. It works a treat, as my hair is straight.

Jess :flower:

WritingPrincess
April 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
I've only used a blowdryer about 5 times in my entire life. It just seems like an awful waste of time to sit around drying it when it'll dry by itself with no help from me.
What DBF said. We have a blowfryer, but I've gotten it out maybe 5 times for 5 minutes tops at a time. I was always too impatient. In the summer I don't mind having wet hair, but I wash at night whenever I can. In the winter, it's because Mommy won't let me go out with wet hair, in the summer it's because I rinse off before bed anyway. It is sooo much cooler with wet hair. (We don't have AC, just a window unit downstairs that we use, (a) when guests are coming over, and, (b) for about two weeks during the hottest part of the year.

royalscorpio
April 3rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
I've had long hair for ages, even with blow dryers around, but I've never really used them to blow dry my entire head dry. I use them to blow dry my bangs sometimes.

Firefly
April 3rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
I blow dry and my hair is long. :p ( but been trying not to do it so much only when going somewere nice) :shrug:

Well, you must be doing something right, LadyStar-- your hair looks shiny and healthy!

Over the years I have used the blow dryer on and off, both with long hair and short. I found that regular blowdrying would eventually take it's toll on my hair. Occasional blowdrying didn't seem to effect it at all. That said, nowadays I avoid it completely-- I just don't have the need for it. If I have to go somewhere and my hair's still wet, I just bun it. :D

Firefly

ladystar
April 7th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Thank you. I have been getting better at not BD =)
I have really strong hair for some reason. It doesn't break that easy.

atlantaz3
April 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I have always used a hair dryer because to me it takes to long to air dry and plus my scalp feels like a swamp when I lay on my wet hair and then it is yucky after that. So now I have an important question to all the wise women out there. I heard that an ionic BD is better than a standard BD...is that true?? I know all BD's are bad but unitl I am not addicted anymore maybe if the ionic is better I could use that in the mean time. Advice???
I used to fry blow dryers about every six months - would never pony up the bucks for a Chi or some other "salon" priced model. This last time I bought a Conair Ion blow dryer - it's gray and pink and I thought it was pretty. Frankly I haven't noticed a difference from this one to the last one and both were Conair. I will say this: I have thick hair and it does seem to dry quicker even on a lower setting. After 15 minutes with a turbie I can bd in about five minutes now. Before it was 20 minutes or more - guess the turbie really works.

Alun
April 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I had long hair way before blow dryers. There were hand held dryers before 1971. They just weren't called blow dryers. I don't recall exactly what we called them. The one we had was metal with a handle. Very similar shape to many of the dryers on the market today. My mom would pin curl my hair and then make me sit there and she would shoot the hot air at my head. She would pin curl my hair every Saturday afternoon and it didn't get washed again until the next Saturday. Gaaaa-roossssssss! :scared:That was in the late 50s/early 60s. My college roommate in 1968-69 had one and used it on her waist length hair. I started 9th grade in 1964 and rolled my hair EVERY SINGLE night of high school including weekends and summers. Yes I really did that. I rolled it on a combination of plastic magnetic rollers and mesh/brush rollers with the brushes taken out. I used a soft bonnet dryer some night. Most nights I didn't dry it at all because it would dry overnight. Luscious curls in the morning! :D

Yeah, my mum had one before 1971 too. Don't believe everything you read. It was big and it came with a hood, but it worked without using the hood. She used to use it on my hair, and then later I used it myself.

I think that original one may have been made by Morphy Richards?? They still make them:-

http://morphy-richards.brands-guide.info/hair/dryers/

On that very page it says "Since its invention in the 1920s, the handheld hair dryer has become one of the most essential hair care appliances on the market."

1971, huh? LOL!

I stopped using one as my hair grew longer, to avoid heat damage.

I now see that the 1971 date came from Yahoo Answers. Don't believe anything you read there. It's probably THE most unreliable source of info on the whole Internet.

MadHatter
April 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM
My hair was at it's longest (that is, before now) when I was 11/12. I didn't use a blowdryer then. I started using one when I was in high school, and my hair was about bsl part of the time.
A couple of times I got my hair caught in the motor, lol.

Carthasis
April 7th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I did not have long hair before BD, because I wasn't born then, but I'm still curious: aren't you cold when going out in freezing temperature with wet hair?

I usually wash my hair in the morning: hate going to bed with wet hair and often don't have time to do it in the afternoon. And since I don't have time to wait over 3 hours until it's completely dry in the morning either, in winter I usually blow dry at least down to my chin and braid the rest wet. If I don't, my head gets very cold and I get a headache.

Angela_Rose
April 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM
i was made in the '80's, so i certainly came along after BD's, but i have used one fewer than five times- because the last time one was used on me, i was about 8 years old and my best friend burned my head and managed to catch a lock of my hair in the damn thing's fan! i swore them off then and there. Good thing, huh?

sweetkandi
April 8th, 2008, 07:48 PM
When I was in elementary school my hair was hip, and I never used a hair-dryer. But then after I had gotten my hair cut and styled short in middle school, thats when all the madness happened. lol. I Havent been using one in almost a month now. yay. lol But I will if I want my hair to look all nice and polished for a special occasion. :D