PDA

View Full Version : my henna gloss colour change *pics*

jojo
March 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Today I did a henna gloss with 1.5 tablespoons of red henna mixed with hot water and a splash of lemon juice, ( i developed it for one hour only) mixed with conditioner and I left it on for 2 hours.
I love the results, my hair is still drying but feels softer, looks shinier and thicker.
I also love how different it looks in certain lights, will this oxygenate? I love red hair as I already have a few natural reds in my hair and because my hair was getting so splitty and breaking I thought id kill two birds with one stone.
Heres the pictures;
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG2785.jpg see it looks darker here but the auburn hues show here, my greys are still evident too.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG2797.jpg in this picture it looks lighter, all photos where taken with a flash but i am stood under a light here, cant wait to see those reds dance in the sun!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG2790.jpg close up, i love the shine on here and hope it will stay this colour!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG2809.jpg and here it looks like its hardly any red in it.
I am so loving the versatility of henna!
Let me know what you think x

SimplyLonghair
March 26th, 2009, 01:29 AM
It looks very lovely! :crush: Don't ya just love henna! :happydance:

jojo
March 26th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks, yes I am really loving henna. Its amazing how thick it makes your hair feel.

Gutterfayrie
March 26th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I love the red on you! It looks great!

jojo
March 26th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Thank you I think I was a closet red at heart!

manderly
March 26th, 2009, 02:51 AM
It works great for you! :D

tiny_teesha
March 26th, 2009, 02:56 AM
It normally takes 3 days for henna to fully "oxidise".
I think it looks lovely! :)
Keep up the good work!

brok3nwings
March 26th, 2009, 03:02 AM
jojo that colour is really beautiful and i think it matches your eyes colour perfectly! I think your doing right with the glosses to get that soft red colour and not an intensive one, just my opinion :)

Aditi
March 26th, 2009, 04:16 AM
The color suits you perfectly and especially your eye color. I think red is really your color.

jojo
March 26th, 2009, 04:45 AM
thank you all so much, I love the colour, though my DH never even noticed!

dulce-de-leche
March 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I really like it!

CopperHead
March 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I think it turned out great! I knew you would make a wonderful redhead. ;)

Elphie
March 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Jojo, that looks beautiful on you! I'd swear it was your natural color, it works that well with your skintone.

Robinlyn
March 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Jojo...I love the color on you! It looks so beautiful with your skin tone and makes your eyes stand out so much!!

xeternalsilence
March 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Pretty. :D

I think I may go ahead and do my first henna gloss tomorrow. I'm excited. :p

jojo
March 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I think it turned out great! I knew you would make a wonderful redhead. ;) you said id suit being a red indeed, now i need to work on your length and thickness WOW!

jojo
March 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Pretty. :D

I think I may go ahead and do my first henna gloss tomorrow. I'm excited. :p I promice you will love it, it makes your hair feel like you have been to a salon for a fraction of the cost!

dulce-de-leche
March 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Jojo I forgot to mention that your hair has gotten so long !

jojo
March 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
oh thank you, yes I cut roughly an inch off a few weeks ago due to splits and breakage and it seems to have already grown back really quickly. I remember last time I grew to waist it took off once I hit bsl too. Not that Id complain if it wanted to grow a little quicker!

tabitie
March 28th, 2009, 12:25 PM
oh thank you, yes I cut roughly an inch off a few weeks ago due to splits and breakage and it seems to have already grown back really quickly. I remember last time I grew to waist it took off once I hit bsl too. Not that Id complain if it wanted to grow a little quicker!

Dear JoJo, the pictures look AWESOME. Thank you for including your formula. The damage repair is very evident in the photos. The reddish hair is very silky looking whereas the blonde was "fuzzier" and slightly frizzy even.

I can't see any grays! But if you say so. It is hard to cover them, isn't it? Although I did it with indigo and a paint brush. Unfortunately the indigo makes the hairs darker brown, so it is a real trick to get the grays covered if you don't want to darken the surrounding hairs.

jojo
March 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM
thank you, yes I did have frizz even as a little girl this was a problem, the greys have turned like a golden blond, it looks really unusual in the sun against the red. I highly recommend henna glosses to anybody who wants colour (red of course!) and also wants to get rid of frizz, mine has completely disappeared, I swear henna has saved my hairs condition. I was beginning to think that no matter how careful I was it broke, split and frizzed, henna even when used in small quantities is brilliant in restoring healthy hair.

spidermom
March 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I love your new sig picture; your hair is beautiful and shiny. On my monitor, your skin tone looks pink, and I'm not so sure it's good with henna red-orange, but others say your skin and hair tones are great together, so it's probably my monitor. I wish I could see you in person; maybe one of these days. I like to travel.

Bianca
March 29th, 2009, 11:41 PM
What a nice color jojo :flower:

deRosa
March 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM
jojo that colour is really beautiful and i think it matches your eyes colour perfectly! I think your doing right with the glosses to get that soft red colour and not an intensive one, just my opinion :)

Couldn't agree more. I looks amazing with the colour of your eyes!

tabitie
March 31st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Congratulations on your grays being golden blonde! I know that was a complaint before that you had, trouble covering the grays completely with cassia or rhubarb glosses.

jojo
March 31st, 2009, 05:37 PM
I love your new sig picture; your hair is beautiful and shiny. On my monitor, your skin tone looks pink, and I'm not so sure it's good with henna red-orange, but others say your skin and hair tones are great together, so it's probably my monitor. I wish I could see you in person; maybe one of these days. I like to travel.thank you SM, anytime your over in the UK you look me up, that would be fantastic to meet you in person x

tabitie
April 15th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I TRIED RHUBARB ROOT 2 WEEKS AGO!!

And it dyed my hair orange/auburn in the sun (much like henna) but washed out in two shampoos.

It was a neat experience, with a few caveats. The color I liked. Even though I didn't boil the stuff long enough (10 minutes) because it definitely dyed strawberry auburn, not blonde. I was trying to cover my roots and extend the times between henndigo to reduce the risk of "too dark henna" and "overlap."

Texture was not so great. Perhaps because of the high acid content, my hair was very roughed up and I had to use a leave-in cone conditioner to calm it down. Later on it went back to normal. By the second shampoo, it was completely washed out.

So, in summary:

color good (auburn); texture bad (too acidic, will boil longer next time)

It's cheap on ebay and I don't regret the $15 purchase!

jojo
April 15th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Hi, did you use fresh rhubarb? i used rhubarb root powder, you just use it like you would henna. Pictures please, try not boiling it next time if you use it just try it as a gloss, with loads of conditioner, its drying else....as you found. Put a good moisterising conditioner on, I would love to see your results, if you took any that is. The good thing is it does wash out, mine took about 6 washes though, yet my henna gloss seems to be fading or maybe im just getting used to it!