PDA

View Full Version : Hair Nightmare [URGENT]

stardustbreeze
March 25th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hi. I have almost hip length hair (see profile for the rest). Today I managed to get a comb tangled up in it with the hair wound around the comb multiple times. Me and my mom spent hours trying to comb it out, but it only got more matted. It's a huge knot with the hair going in 2 different directions around the comb. We've tried leave in conditioners, no avail.

What do I do?

manderly
March 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Get a big bottle of some super-coney conditioner and saturate it.

flowers-n-waves
March 25th, 2009, 09:48 PM
i'd say conditioner and water...?? i don't know...but good luck. Patience helps

longhairedfairy
March 25th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I would not use water because that makes hair stretch. I would try something like baby oil to grease it out.

Peggy E.
March 25th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Did you break the comb? I think I'd go ahead and sacrifice the comb, rather than the hair, and take it out in however many pieces is necessary in order to get the hair freed up.

Then ever-so-gently, using your fingers, starting at the bottom and working up through the hair, slowly work out the knot. Should be easier without the hard comb in the way.

Goodness, how did you get it wrapped up in knots? How sad for you! If you still can't get the knots out, oil the daylights out of the knot, so it's as slick and slippery as it can get, then, again, work through with your fingers.

It will be okay - hang in there!

Debra83
March 25th, 2009, 09:51 PM
DON'T PANIC! Do you have a detangler spray? or a Pantene type conditioner? That should help a lot. Get comfortable, both of you...it's kind like detangling necklaces! Patience, prayer, and perseverence, LOTS of perseverence.

Even COCONUT OIL should help!

Debra83
March 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM
After totally saturating the whole area with one of the choices above, like coconut oil, then I would start gently pulling the hair out from the top of the comb - and then move that section well out of the way of the train wreck so it doesn't get caught again.

stardustbreeze
March 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have fructis leave in conditioners, aussie hair insurance, pantene beautiful lengths, aussie deep moisture, and a couple of others. I am currently coating the hair with creme conditioner (fructis). I am trying to break the comb, but I'm not sure I can without risking hurting myself. (it's really, really thick plastic)

I may go to a salon I trust tomorrow if I cannot resolve this.

SpecialKitty
March 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I would try to break the comb, as Peggy_E suggests. Maybe put some thick leather gloves on to protect your hands. You may break some hairs, but I think that would be better than cutting it out. An alternative to breaking the body of the comb is to try to break a few tines of the comb to "make a space" to maneuver your hair around. Good luck. I am so sorry that happened. :grouphug:

stardustbreeze
March 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Ok, I got the handle of the comb out, and the knot loosed a little:cheese:. I think that the tine option is the best bet. If I don't get this quite soon I will go to bed and the try again in the morning.

Carolyn
March 25th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Can you get someone to help your mom snap the comb and snap the tines? Then get the hair below the knots combed out nice and smooth. Start gently pulling out the loosest strands. You'll lose some hair but that's better than having to cut it out. As you loosen more and more strands from the main knot things could get easier. Keep the loosened hair contained and out of the way. This could take a long time but it's been done before. Good luck to you :flowers:

stardustbreeze
March 25th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I will try to get my dad to snap the comb's tines in the morning. In the mean time, I am going to bed. Thanks all!

SimplyLonghair
March 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hi. I have almost hip length hair (see profile for the rest). Today I managed to get a comb tangled up in it with the hair wound around the comb multiple times. Me and my mom spent hours trying to comb it out, but it only got more matted. It's a huge knot with the hair going in 2 different directions around the comb. We've tried leave in conditioners, no avail.

What do I do?
When this would happen to DD we would work starting at one end and work with just a few of the hairs at one time and work it off tine by tine. If you can break the comb that would be an option but just work on it a little at a time and stop when you get frustrated. Wet can work if you are patient as it gives the hair a little extra stretch when needed, but don't over stretch. It will work. I have worked out worse on very curly hair and really straight hair! It can be done. Just have patience, stop when you lose yours and then when you are able start up again. Remember You Can DO IT!!!

nicolezoie
March 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
It's fairly easy to get a comb wrapped up in hair. All you have to do is whip it through your hair quickly, or use a blowdryer blowing UP while you are trying to comb down.

Anyhow, anytime I've caught a comb getting looped in hair, I tuck some kind of long skinny pointy thing like a hair stick or, in my case, a knitting needle at a right angle to the looped hair as close to the comb as possible, and gradually wiggle the hair stick until the hair comes loose.

Good luck!

stardustbreeze
March 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM
nicolezoie: I tried that - the knotting is too tight for that to be an option....I don't know, maybe wet will help, but my hair ALWAYS mats when wet, so I'm apprehensive.

Darkhorse1
March 25th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Peanut butter is the best to remove hair from something. This happened to me a few times and my mother did this.

Also, if you have a hair stick, work the hair out of the item with this--gently prying it so you can unwind. DON'T try to unwind because you'll create more of a knot. Good luck!

SimplyLonghair
March 25th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Then use conditioner instead of water for slip. You sound as if you need extra stretch for getting it off.:rolleyes: HTH

CrystalStar
March 26th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Try getting in the shower, soaking your hair wet than putting as much conditioner on it as you can, until it's literally slick and try unravelling it.

Or cut it out :p

Fethenwen
March 26th, 2009, 01:19 AM
fructis :(

I'd use some sort of oil if I were you.

tiny_teesha
March 26th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I know i sound saddistic, but take a photo :P. How bad can this knot be?!?!
Try snipping just a few of the really tight hairs and pulling them out of the knot to help loosen it up a little?
When ever i have knots i just pull the right hairs and things start to get out. Hmm...Let us know how it goes!

speakyword
March 26th, 2009, 03:15 AM
if my mom could pick/comb out 6month old dreadlocks saturated in conditioner I am of the opinion that one can comb any tangle out. You can do it with patience and perserverance. Good luck!

GlassEyes
March 26th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Saturate it in ay of the conditioners you mentioned, preferably pantene as I find it has the highest cone content.

And by saturate, I mean keep adding it until it is slimy and greasy. Then try to remove the comb. It should take quite a bit of conditioner; I'd use at least three handfuls in my hair.

lora410
March 26th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Have you tried evoo or coconut oil?

BlackfootHair
March 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I second the picture request. :p I also think Pantene is a good suggestion. Good luck! I hope you get the knot out with minimal damage. Don't panic. It's not good to panic. :) Also, you'll laugh about this one day, so just laugh about it now. It will keep you relaxed. :D

Kirin
March 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM
If you can't manually break the comb, ask your dad, neighbor, someone with tools for a wire cutter. Wear eye protection, especially the person cutting the tines of the comb. We've had to do this once in my house, and it does work. Once you get the tines off (make sure they are removed and don't slip/embed into the knot), then getting the base of the comb out is much easier.

Sashay
March 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I think hair underneath running water is still decent for detangling. The water and gravity help pull the easily untangled down into a straight line. With a comb in their I think it might be more trouble than help though.

Good luck with your nightmare.

ATrixie
March 26th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I second patience & perserverance.. & just using fingers at first.. don't try to comb it out - you probably know that, just want to say it's really important.. (just in case) if the hair is greasy enough (not too greasy, 'just right'), it will be easier to detangle than you expected..!!

stardustbreeze
March 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM
OK. My dad got some cutters and carefully cut the comb out, tine by tine. Now I ust have the worlds biggest dredlock, with the ends folded up and tangled in the middle. I am saturated with silicone-rich conditioner (my hair adores, adores, adores silicones)and am trying to comb out....I have an 4:30 appointment with a good hairstylist. I'll see what I can do about a picture.

stardustbreeze
March 26th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Sorry for the double post, can't figure out how to edit the post.
Here's a pic:
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/9991/photo23w.jpg (http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo23w.jpg)

DelynofRhondda
March 26th, 2009, 10:11 AM
StardustBreeze that's what I call a :demon: Troll Knot that would make a Snotgurgle cringe!

Everyone has said the "p" words. It will take a lot of patience, perseverance, and persistence to work it out. And probably Pantene.

Good luck in detangling.:pray:

stardustbreeze
March 26th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Well, I went to the salon today. They combed, and combed and combed. Eventually, I just let them cut it out about half way down the chunk at the worst of it,because the tangles were getting worse and not better whatever I did, and the knot was too tight for fingers or combs to loosen. I only lost about half the length of the hair on that segment, and about 4 inches elsewhere (I had it layered a little to look "normal" and blend in).

Silverlox
March 26th, 2009, 05:25 PM
What a relief! I'm so happy your nightmare had a happy ending, even if you did lose some length. Still, not as bad as it could have been. :flower:

Now you just need to convince/discipline your hair to behave when there's a comb present. :D

Peggy E.
March 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Glad there's been a peaceful resolution, but, shoot, was so hoping you wouldn't have to chop the segment out.

You certainly gave it your best shot, though, so you shouldn't feel like you gave up without trying all that could be done. Sorry it had to be cut, mean old dumb, dead comb!

SpecialKitty
March 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I bet the layers will look nice on you, but I'm sorry you had to lose some length there. :flowers:

stardustbreeze
March 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah, they look really good and I lost a lot of dead, split, nasty ends that I had been avoiding cutting, so it's not all a loss. Thanks for the support!

longhairedfairy
March 26th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Glad it was resolved in some way and that the new look with layering is to your liking:)

Spike
March 27th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, they look really good and I lost a lot of dead, split, nasty ends that I had been avoiding cutting, so it's not all a loss. Thanks for the support!

Oh, good, at least there's some benefit to the whole experience. :cheese:

Here's to rapid regrowth and a great story! (No kidding, there I was, walking through the bathroom . . . and my hair LEAPED from my head and ATE a comb!!!)

BlackfootHair
March 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I'm glad you finally got the comb out and got rid of some yucky ends. :) Healthy hair is happy hair. :D