PDA

View Full Version : John Frieda-"natural lightening complex"

tooqute2nv
March 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Okay, so I was being girlie and looking around at different shampoos and conditioners, and in the past I had really liked John Frieda's products, so I was looking at them. lol But something caught my eye, and I was curious is anyone here had ever tried it, because I know some peeps are interested in lightening their, and maybe this would be better than some other damaging treatments:
From (http://www.johnfrieda.com)
Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo with Citrus and Chamomile

How It Works
Sheer Blonde® Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo gradually lightens blonde hair for a year-round sun-kissed look
Formula contains a natural Lightening Complex and chamomile to gently remove the color pigments in the hair
Gentle enough for daily use
Ammonia and peroxide-free
Safe to use on color-treated hairThere is also a conditioner, and it says ammonia and peroxide-free, sooo, what do people think and/or have you ever tried it?

Unofficial_Rose
March 25th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'd like to see the exact ingredients. If it can lighten hair without peroxide, then it is definitely doing something new...

tooqute2nv
March 25th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Yeah, they didn't show the ingredients on the website, but I'll look around and see if I can find them. Unless someone already has a bottle, and cares to share, lol. But, I'm kind of excited at the prospect of no peroxide in lightening products anymore lol :D

BlackfootHair
March 25th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I know lemon juice has a lightening effect on hair in the sun, so the "citrus" part may be what they are talking about. I believe chamomile imparts yellow tones to the hair.

ktani
March 25th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Yeah, they didn't show the ingredients on the website, but I'll look around and see if I can find them. Unless someone already has a bottle, and cares to share, lol. But, I'm kind of excited at the prospect of no peroxide in lightening products anymore lol :D

Sometimes, it is just a Google away, lol.

"John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo
Water , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Lactic Acid , Glycol Distearate , Cetyl Alcohol , Betaine , Matricaria Flower Extract - Chamomilla Recutita , Lemon Peel Extract - Citrus Medica Limonum , Turmeric Root Extract - Curcuma Longa , Crocus Sativus Flower Extract , Sunflower Seed Extract - Helianthus Annuus , Grape Juice Extract - Vitis Vinifera , Grape Seed Extract - Vitis Vinifera , Glycerin , Benzyl Alcohol , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Guar Hydroxy-Propyltrimonium Chloride , Cocamide MEA , PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Sodium Hydroxide , Glycine , Alcohol , Butylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Xylenesulfonate , Malic Acid , Tocopherol , Disodium EDTA , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Fragrance , Yellow 10"
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod4209662&CATID=304567&skuid=sku4208532#ingredient

Turmeric will make hair more yellow and brighter, that is for sure, lol. I do not think that there is enough lemon to do much of anything and it is lemon peel extract.

One review
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod4209662&CATID=304567&skuid=sku4208532#review

tooqute2nv
March 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Thank you ktani, everyone's favorite "Honey Geek"! :)
Siiigh, oh well, not quite what I was hoping for, but yeah, turmeric definitely does give a bright yellow color! lol:cheese:

ktani
March 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Thank you ktani, everyone's favorite "Honey Geek"! :)
Siiigh, oh well, not quite what I was hoping for, but yeah, turmeric definitely does give a bright yellow color! lol:cheese:

You are most welcome! Not all ingredient lists are easy to find, by any means, lol.

ktani
March 25th, 2009, 06:28 PM
The conditioner has 3 cones and no turmeric, so I think that is what is working in the shampoo. It would be too much in the conditioner too, IMO, but it just brightens, not lightens, as in lifting pigment.

"John Frieda Sheer Blonde Conditioner, Lightening, Go Blonder
Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lactic Acid, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Dimethiconol, PEG-14M, Amodimethicone, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Tocopherol, Trideceth-12, Propylene Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Alcohol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, Yellow 5".
https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&productId=665673&catalogId=10002&krypto=QJrbAudPd0vzXUGByeatog%3D%3D&ddkey=http:ProductDisplay

kwaniesiam
March 25th, 2009, 10:24 PM
So if at all, this effect would be temporary as long as you use the product as the tumeric is more of a stain that would show up on lighter colors?

Gee, great way to get you to keep buying the product huh :silly:

ktani
March 26th, 2009, 03:11 AM
So if at all, this effect would be temporary as long as you use the product as the tumeric is more of a stain that would show up on lighter colors?

Gee, great way to get you to keep buying the product huh :silly:

That is what I think. I cannot see it working any other way.

Katze
March 26th, 2009, 03:48 AM
The whole thing sounds like a lot of marketing to me.

In the years since my hair went darker, I have tried literally EVERYTHING to make it blonder, and none of them, apart from bleach, peroxide, etc., worked. My hair is fine and fragile, so you'd think it would lighten more easily than the average hair, but none of the products sold to 'make hair blonder' - again, except for actual bleach - ever lightened my hair.

Chamomile does give a yellowish tone, if that's what you're looking for. It was never my thing, and the hassle involved wasn't worth it, IMO.