PDA

View Full Version : Growing out a short layered bob-advice please!

templeofvenus
March 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hi

I am now 6-8 weeks past my time for normal trim of a short layered at the back bob. My fringe has grown out I grew that out last year while I kept the bob style. Now I want it long, so I am wearing the fringe back with small hair clips in a quiff type thing and letting the rest hang down. Would you advise just leaving the whole thing to grow and not trimming round the bottom to even it all up till its grown a fair bit, say between chin and shoulder as its just on chin now? anyone grown this style out and what did you do?

Tabitha
March 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I grew out from a pixie and was at a chin-length bob when I found LHC. I carried on having trims but just spaced them further apart. It took me 3 years to go from chin-length bob to just past waist.

You will undoubtedly grow your hair longer, quicker if you don't have trims, but that was how I did it because my hair is quite thick with a slight wave and looks very untidy at shorter lengths unless it's professionally trimmed into some sort of style (and yes, I am vain).

My "3rd anniversary thread" (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19078) has photos if you're interested.

templeofvenus
March 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I grew out from a pixie and was at a chin-length bob when I found LHC. I carried on having trims but just spaced them further apart. It took me 3 years to go from chin-length bob to just past waist.

You will undoubtedly grow your hair longer, quicker if you don't have trims, but that was how I did it because my hair is quite thick with a slight wave and looks very untidy at shorter lengths unless it's professionally trimmed into some sort of style (and yes, I am vain).

My "3rd anniversary thread" (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19078) has photos if you're interested.

wow your hair is soooooooooo thick and lovely I can only dream of such locks! I have fine hair but I am determined :) thanks for the reply I am gonna see how it looks in 3 months and if its raggy then get it evened up nothing major trim wise as you say less trims equals faster goals, but like you I am vain lol

burns_erin
March 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I am growing out a bob and have chosen not to cut the layering out. I suppose whether it is a good idea to trim it out depends on your hair (you mgiht want to put in your descriptors) and how much you can stand it to be uneven. As you can see from my siggy, the old layers do interesting things to my hemline. I have days where I dig it and days where i despise it.

BlackfootHair
March 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
When I grow out a layered hair cut I do tend to trim the bottom if the layers are so vastly different I feel like I'm growing out a mullet. :D

Unofficial_Rose
March 25th, 2009, 01:58 PM
When I grow out a layered hair cut I do tend to trim the bottom if the layers are so vastly different I feel like I'm growing out a mullet. :D

Yes, having done this several times, once the sides are SO much shorter than the back that you can't wear it down, then I'd be inclined to trim. Then again it sounds like yours is shorter at the back, so I guess it's all down to whether you're happy with it...

burns_erin
March 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Mmmm, I did rock the mullet for a while. Well a quasi mullet because the very front was the longest so when it was down it was like a mullet where the ends were a frown. Fortunately the mullet stage passed quickly.

Rohele
March 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm in the process of growing out a layered bob too. I'm just below shoulder length now. I've been growing it out since last June, and have had a trim in August and in January.

When I started I let it grow for a good six months after the August trim because I knew I would have to get rid of the inverted shape. At one point I trimmed off the long pieces at the front myself (they were significantly longer than the rest - they would probably be at APL if I let them be) but basically kept the bob shape going until it was shoulder length.

I've been to my hair stylist once since, and she suggested removing the angle in stages so I wouldn't lose much length - I got her to reduce it by about half in January, and will get the rest done later. At the same time she also did something with my layers so they come all they way around to the front, instead of just being in the back (it lessened the stacked appearance, and I'm intending to keep a little bit of layering, at least for now, so I didn't mind).

Anyway, there's a few pics of my album that maybe will give you an idea of how the shape is progressing, if you're interested.

rusika1
March 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Every time I've grown my hair out from pixie (three times now) I've had frequent trims. I just don't care for the extremely uneven look you get when you're growing out extremely layered hair. I just keep having it trimmed to about shoulder length until most of the layers are gone; then I can wait until it's longer before finishing the evening-up process. If you have too many different lengths, you just can't do anything with your hair that looks nice.

Yedda
March 25th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I'm growing out an angle cut right now, a bob where the front is longer than the back. I found that, to some extent, it's evening up a little bit on it's own. And I'm not planning to have a trim to even out all the layers until it's long enough for me to have a full poneytail and do some updo's, because if I trim now it will increase the period of time that I have to go through this ackward stage.

:)

long.again
March 25th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I'm growing out a pixie too, I did cut the back for quite a while for two reasons: I wanted to be fairly even and not have a mullet, and the back of my hair grows much faster than the front.

Now I'm just above shoulder and it is layered but I think I'm going to leave it. I'll do some dusting here and there (maybe 3 times a year) but I'm just going to leave the layers alone. I kind of like how they look on long hair, they might give my hair more body.

Once my healthy hair is to BSL I'm going to cut it in a "V" trim I believe and just let it be. Anyways, that's my plan! :D

chrissy-b
March 26th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I've done it. Lots of clips, bandana and product to keep it in place but it can be done!

MountainGypsy
March 26th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I rocked the mullet :rockerdud I started out with a very short pixie. After several unsuccessful attempts to grow it out in previous years, this time I decided to go with no trims until the shortest layers were at shoulder and the longest were at about BSL before I evened anything out. It was the only way I could see progress and not just end up with a short hair cut again! Although I had some funky hair days, it was worth it for me. There are members that joined around the same time I did, that have hair not much longer (or even shorter) than when they joined. Beware of too much "evening up", you just might trim yourself right back into a short haircut. Just my :twocents:

Welcome to LHC by the way! :flower:

Here is a poor picture but this shows my current length in the mirror reflection (it's a bit longer now than it is in my siggie pic):

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/MountainGypsy/IMG_2385.jpg

And this is when I joined LHC in November of 2006 in the process of growing out the pixie cut:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/MountainGypsy/november.jpg

templeofvenus
March 26th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments, I have shorter layers at the back like a graduated bob but to be honest its growing fast! and when I have looked ast the back with the mirror it seems to be ok for now I have decided I am not gonna trim for ages yet! I so want to get a ponytail in :) then I will consider evening up the ends. Thanks for all the advice! and encouragement :)

SimplyLonghair
March 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I would just try to grow and see what happens.

For one thing so many of us have had really bad times finding a hairdresser that will just trim. Many seem to think that one inch means three and so on. So if you do have a great hairdresser then fine, you could trust them to trim.

If not stick to clips and what have you to keep it under control and grow for it!!! LOL:D:cheese:

And welcome to LHC!

templeofvenus
March 26th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I would just try to grow and see what happens.

For one thing so many of us have had really bad times finding a hairdresser that will just trim. Many seem to think that one inch means three and so on. So if you do have a great hairdresser then fine, you could trust them to trim.

If not stick to clips and what have you to keep it under control and grow for it!!! LOL:D:cheese:

And welcome to LHC!

haha yeah clips are my friends right now :D

MsKafka
September 8th, 2018, 10:14 AM
I think finding a hairdresser that understands what you think want is the biggest challenge (at least for me) since I often get some variant style that they think will look better on me (usually doesn't)

Stray_mind
September 8th, 2018, 10:11 PM
I am growing out a short and heavily layered bob. I trimmed once when i was just about shoulder length. Try to find ways to pin it up and forger about it. Often trims will just set back your growth.

lapushka
September 10th, 2018, 03:33 PM
OMG another ghost thread. LOL!