PDA

View Full Version : Buns for hair with taper?

Heidi_234
March 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one - not only that I have natural taper, I also have layers, so overall I have one big taper going on. There are many buns out there that just does do too well on hair with taper.
Cinnamon bun for example, comes out as this big bulk of hair in the middle and thin coil around it. I found a way to 'cheat' - I part my hair left and right, do a mini cinnabun from one of the parts (in the middle of the head of course) and then coil around the other part as like continuing the cinnabun. But you can't do this trick with every bun.
Figure 8 or infinity buns look the worse on hair with taper - one coil looks huge and the other one really thin. :rolleyes:
Two buns that I know work well are sock bun and equilibrium bun, but I'm looking for others, as I don't know that many, still been very much a bunewbie. :p

HairColoredHair
March 25th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Quite honestly, I'm rather happy to have some taper... The smaller loop in the fig-8 makes it hold SOOOO much better with a ficcare!

spidermom
March 25th, 2009, 12:25 PM
You could look in my album at "the bun that stays." It might work for you.

Heidi_234
March 25th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Quite honestly, I'm rather happy to have some taper... The smaller loop in the fig-8 makes it hold SOOOO much better with a ficcare!
It's not just smaller, it's really really small and the other loop is really really really thick and big (thankfully my thickness is finally growing in yey). It looks like a giant loop with weird lame addition next to it.

Heidi_234
March 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM
You could look in my album at "the bun that stays." It might work for you.
Oh I've seem it, and I'm so glad you brought it up! I couldn't for the life of me make out the written directions, do you have a tutorial page where you learned it, or youtube video, or something? :pray:

OhioLisa
March 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I think updos are easier with a bit of taper because it's much easier to tuck in those ends. :shrug: I don't think someone is going to come up to you and tell you your coils are uneven or something, ya know. ;)

spidermom
March 25th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Oh I've seem it, and I'm so glad you brought it up! I couldn't for the life of me make out the written directions, do you have a tutorial page where you learned it, or youtube video, or something? :pray:

Oh, I'm sorry. I've been intending to do a tutorial for that bun for a long time now. (I didn't learn it; I made it up.)

Heidi_234
March 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I think updos are easier with a bit of taper because it's much easier to tuck in those ends. :shrug: I don't think someone is going to come up to you and tell you your coils are uneven or something, ya know. ;)
That's my "bit" of taper for ya (my camera is currently dead):
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/272/123.gif
It's just ugly. Believe me.

Eden Iris
March 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I've got uneven loops too -- I just ignore them. If you can do a Gibraltar (or inside-out) bun, that tends to hide the thin ends. I also like the KarenLynn knot, which is not a bun as such.

Congratulations on thickness coming in!

Wavelength
March 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Seconding the inside-out/nautilus bun or the Gibraltar.

Katze
March 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I would like to figure this out, too, as my hair has the same problem as yours (natural taper plus layers). However, every time I set out to do a bun, it looks so terrible on me that I give up. the cinnamon bun is the worse - it sticks out like a knob and accentuates my two toned hair.

What does work well are pinned-up braids; if I can get the ends secured (hard because they are so thin - I use long bobby pins) I can hide them a bit better, for example by tucking them under the beginning of the braid on the opposite side.

Sadly I have resigned myself to never being able to wear buns. They always look really, really bad, and I am not sure why this is, but I think taper plays a part. When my hair is as thick at the ends as it currently is at the roots, maybe it will be easier to do some of those carefree, messy, half-bun-half-ponytail things I see women wearing all the time.

mparker
March 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hooray for this thread! My hair is a couple of inches past BSL and my taper is so bad that when I try a cinnamon bun, I get one circle, maybe one and a quarter, and then the rest just disappears underneath the fist round. Which is a bit frustrating. The only way I can do something remotely LIKE the Infinity is to split my ponytail into two and wind them in separate directions. Otherwise it's bizzarely lopsided, like the OPs.

Thanks for the idea on parting for the Cinnamon bun, Heidi! I'll have to try that!

Akiko
March 25th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I wonder if Gibson tuck works well. In fact, if you have too much hair, it is so difficult to tuck in all the hair. Taper and layers might actually help.

eresh
March 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Maybe a chinese bun, or a bun made with 2 braids?

Silverlox
March 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Sadly I have resigned myself to never being able to wear buns. They always look really, really bad, and I am not sure why this is, but I think taper plays a part. When my hair is as thick at the ends as it currently is at the roots, maybe it will be easier to do some of those carefree, messy, half-bun-half-ponytail things I see women wearing all the time.

Or maybe you are just being overly critical towards you pretty hair? :wink:

I have taper and somewhat messy hair too, but have discovered a great advantage to any bun: they're all at the back of my head where I can't see them!
As long as they stay put, I'm happy. :D

LeaM07
March 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I have a good bit of taper also, and I like the flipped bun (here's mine (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=7100), it links to Hypnotica's video as well, which is excellent). The thinner part gets tucked underneath, and seems to hide more easily than with other buns.

My second favorite is the pinless braided bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=10324). Here also, the thin part gets tucked underneath and is mostly hidden by the main part of the bun, but it doesn't make the bun stick out quite as much as a cinnabun.

Good luck! :flowers: