PDA

View Full Version : Baby hairs in the front-so frustrating!

jewelotn
March 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I had a baby girl last year so my hair has been in the whole falling out mode. It's starting to (finally) grow back. I've always had these little hairs around my forehead area that even in pre-pregnancy, only grow long enough to hit maybe middle of the forehead.If I pulled my hair into a pony tail or that little "pouf" in the front, I'd always get a nice "halo" since the baby hairs wouldn't lie flat or behave. lol.

I've tried pomades, hairsprays, etc.. to try to coax, force and practically bludgeon the baby hairs to do what I what them to do but no dice.

So what I do when I put my hair back is to do a side part after I shower and use a bobby pin to get the hairs to lie in that same direction. Even then...the hairs will then decide they must like straight down my forehead. yeesh! :(

I'm wondering what others do that maybe I'm missing?

trilllium
March 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Congratulations on your baby girl! I have a 16 month old and am regrowing after the big shed, so I feel your pain. Most of my regrowth is on the sides so I'm just clipping it back until it's long enough to get into braids and buns again. Bits of it always escape though. I've just resigned myself to having that "soft romantic look" (i.e. messy!).

I can control the short baby hairs in the forehead area pretty well by putting my hair up either in a bun or braid directly after showering. If I let it air dry at all before putting it up then I get a lot of halo hairs.

joyfulmom4
March 25th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Honestly? I would embrace them. I like my little baby hairs. They "soften" the look of my updos by framing my face with their fluffy little halo.

Congrats on your baby girl!

JamieLeigh
March 25th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Congratulations!! :D

I agree with trilllium, try coaxing them into the direction you want while they're still wet (and maybe try a little leave-in conditioner...I use Infusium-23 because it doesn't leave my hair greasy) and maybe they'll behave.

jewelotn
March 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Thank you for the congrats! Time is really flying by now with 2 kids. It's almost the end of March and here I'm thinking: what the heck happened to March!?

So looks like the best time to direct the baby hairs is after a shower. The baby hairs are really annoying atm b/c they are about 1/2 inch long so all they can do is either stick straight up or jut out from the side of the my head. How "attractive"! Ergh...

And I was looking at pix of me when DD2 was a few months old and I hadn't cut my hair and I just want to cry! It was about BSL and stupid me, I thought I'd have an easier time managing if I cut it short... :brickwall It took me over a year to grow it to BSL too.

JamieLeigh
March 26th, 2009, 09:53 AM
The worst time, hands down, to make ANY hair decisions is when you've just had a baby and your hormones are going crazy!! Just think about the weird stuff some of us crave when we're pregnant. (If I'll happily eat a peanut butter and bacon sandwich, then what state of mind am I in to decide on a haircut? :pinktongue:) It's been over 2 years since my last baby, and I still have a few of those stubborn baby hairs. Some of them are getting to be about 5 or 6 inches long, but others are just a big puffy halo around my face, especially when it's humid and wet outside. Some things you just have to smile and nod at, and keep going. :rolleyes:

karisaf
March 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm in the same boat, though mine are super short as my baby is only 6mo old. I don't remember them being so noticeable with my first baby, but I also wasn't doing updos (and I don't think I lost as much hair). They are annoying, but I am just happy they are growing back as I had a TON of loss and my temples are really thin!

jewelotn
March 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM
The worst time, hands down, to make ANY hair decisions is when you've just had a baby and your hormones are going crazy!! Just think about the weird stuff some of us crave when we're pregnant. (If I'll happily eat a peanut butter and bacon sandwich, then what state of mind am I in to decide on a haircut? :pinktongue:) It's been over 2 years since my last baby, and I still have a few of those stubborn baby hairs. Some of them are getting to be about 5 or 6 inches long, but others are just a big puffy halo around my face, especially when it's humid and wet outside. Some things you just have to smile and nod at, and keep going. :rolleyes:

Totally agree! Plus, I had asked the stylist to cut 2 in and even showed her how long I'd want my hair to be. She just kept cutting and cutting. My fault for not screaming at her to stop at some point though...

I'm in the same boat, though mine are super short as my baby is only 6mo old. I don't remember them being so noticeable with my first baby, but I also wasn't doing updos (and I don't think I lost as much hair). They are annoying, but I am just happy they are growing back as I had a TON of loss and my temples are really thin!

yeah, my DD2 is at 7 months and boy, the baby hairs at the temples are *just* filling in for me too. My DH got all wide-eyed when I showed him the hair loss...even though hello, this is kid #2...LOL. MEN!

Phalaenopsis
March 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Congrats on your baby!

I haven't had post partum shed, since I haven't been pregnant yet :p But I lost a lot of hair due to a zincshortage.
My head is one big fluff ball too at the moment. It can drive me crazy, but I think the best thing is to accept this.

jewelotn
March 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Congrats on your baby!

I haven't had post partum shed, since I haven't been pregnant yet :p But I lost a lot of hair due to a zincshortage.
My head is one big fluff ball too at the moment. It can drive me crazy, but I think the best thing is to accept this.

TY! I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to eat better, get more veggies in. Kinda' got "lazy" after #2 was born. =)

natt i nord
March 26th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Well, I don't remember giving birth to a baby, but I have these baby hairs too :D
I think they've always been there, but dying my hair killed them when they were only 1cm long or so. Now I stopped dying and the're able to grow out finally. The most are now chin length, soon I'll be over this *prays*