PDA

View Full Version : Opposite of a scalp-only wash?

helen2806
March 25th, 2009, 09:19 AM
The medication I'm on (Roaccutane) basically stops stops my skin producing oil, so my scalp isn't getting greasy at all and my hair is lasting much longer between washes... but my ends are missing out on getting conditioned as often. I've tried oilings and leave ins but they are only good for a little while so I was wondering if anyone had ever done a kind of ends-only wash and had any tips on how to do it?

I tried doing an all over CO-wash so as not to dry out my scalp but because it's sensitive it was still uncomfortable afterwards so I'm going to avoid any sort of unnecessary washing there.

ETA when I say ends-only wash I don't mean shampoo, just conditioning really

Loviatar
March 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I get good results by wetting my braid tassel, coating it in conditioner overnight and rinsing it in cold water in the morning, bending over the bath and aiming the hand held showerhead at my braid (which is held in my other hand). :) HTH

Heidi_234
March 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM
My scalp does not get greasy on day 5,6... It's very very dry. But my hair also tends to be very dry, and if it gets too dry, I'm risking massive shedding (I don't know why, but it happened few times already, when I didn't washed/conditioned my hair when it needed it badly).
If your scalp doesn't need washing you don't have to wash it with something. Just WOing it works beautifully. That's what I do, I just massage the scalp without using any products, let the water run to the roots. I do condition my length, and rinse it out, but just WO for the scalp. You don't have to wash if you feel like it's not necessary. Don't let social standards and behaviors fool you.
If you don't want to really thoughtfully wet your hair, you could try a leave-in, it helps retain the moisture back to the hair. If you prefer something natural, then damp it with a mister (there's a whole thread on the recipes, henna... board called "what's in your mister bottle?" you could scoop some ideas, but just water works just as well), and then use Fox's shea butter recipe, or even regular conditioner (or a mix of your favorite conditioning products). That way your hair won't go though wetting-drying too often and remain moisturized.
Daily oiling helps me the most I'd say (I use coconut oil). Sometimes I use coconut oil few times a day, whenever I feel my hair gets dry.
HTH :flower:

helen2806
March 26th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Ooh thanks for the advice!
I've done a few water mistings followed by coconut oil and they worked quite well so I might try experimenting with other misters or leave ins too, thanks Heidi. And I'm going to try your suggestion tonight Loviatar
:):)

LadyLongLocks
March 26th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I have done it many times,especially in the dry winter months. I condition the last 12".
I wet the ends with warm water,add my regular conditioner, let it sit for a minute and rinse out for 15 seconds. Then I squeeze out the excess water and let it air dry. My ends are soft and moisturized.