PDA

View Full Version : S&D on shorter hair - can you do it?

Beesweet
April 2nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
I looked through articles on S&D and found descriptions that seem to indicate it being done on long hair, hair that you can hold up and see while you snip.
Should I do this on shoulder length hair?
If I take a section of hair and twist it, I see LOTS of little shorter hair ends sticking out for the twist. Does this indicate I should S&D? I used to be pretty terrible to my hair and six months of being sweet to it doesn't make up for the end growth that was maligned by bad care.
I have brand new high-quality hair scissors.
Do I just snip the stuff that sticks out of the twist?
How do I know that isn't just a shorter hair that is growing in from falling out previously?

I am a little afraid, since I will have to do it in the mirror, and I have a lot of hair. I'm worried about getting obsessed, and constantly doing it because I never see an end to it.

Tips welcome.....and thanks in advance.

wolf girl
April 2nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
As long as you can see your hair (even in a mirror) S&D is fine. However, you only need to cut the hairs that are broken or split, not all the ones that stick out. Just because some stick out because they are shorter than the rest, doesn't mean they are damaged. They could be new growth too. I find the easiest way to find them is in bright sun light. HTH:)

akurah
April 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
I tried S&D at shoulder length, but trust me, it's more hassle than it's worth. I have crazy mad split ends compared to most of the others on this board due to a history of bleach and dye (and this is in spite of my henna, no less), but it's so much effort to look for them at that length it just wasn't worth it.

I wore my hair up instead, and I get a trim every now and then when my ends are so bad that I can't detangle them--usually a quarter of an inch to half an inch does the trick.

When my hair is longer (midback) I may attempt S&D again.

Jeni
April 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
I was just about to ask this same question! I did my first ever S&D last night. Didn't really mean to start, but while I was sitting around (not doing my Bio homework) I noticed a split end. I have never seen a split end before on my hair and after getting over my shock I found scissors and started the hunt. The only problem? My hair is only APL, so I can get the front section, but just barely. I had to stop after awhile, my eyes kept crossing. So it seems like y'all with shorter hair, just do the ends you can see, and then put it up and hope for the best?

Jeni

suicides_eve
April 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
i've done it on hair shorter then shoulder length

Beesweet
April 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Thank you, friends.

I was looking -- yes I got quite cross eyed very quickly -- and couldn't tell what was split, and what was new growth. I may just wait, because I do tend toward being a little compulsive. I should probably just keep scissors away from my head for a while.

I'll let this one rest for a while.

Silver & Gold
April 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
I do this a bit on my shoulder-length hair. I use the magnifying mirror in my bathroom.

The downside is that I can't quite see all the hairs from the back yet but it doesn't seem to matter much since my splits are mostly in the part that frames my face because I was hard on those hairs when my hair was shorter and those hairs are finer and more delicate anyway.

But one day . . . one day I'll be able to S&D without looking in the mirror. I just have to be patient and wait.

Waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting . . .

kimki
April 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
I'm in the same boat, can't reach the back to see. But most of my splits are in the shortest layers where I'm growing out chemical colour.