PDA

View Full Version : Obnoxious Hair Comment....and My Revenge

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I admit, I was in one heck of a snarky mood this morning. Still am, if you want the truth.....

So, I did spinning class today, and there were 3 new women in there I've never seen before. All about my age, roughly - mid to late 40s. All three had "fashionably" short hair, streaked, probably product laden.

After class, I walked out into the lobby, and pulled the Ficcare out of my hair and shook it all out. Plan: take a shower, get it wet. As I walked past these three women, who were standing and talking near the front desk, I overheard one of them say to the others (apparently thinking I must be stone deaf), "Would you look at that! No one needs hair that long. Especially not at HER age."

Shocked, I kept walking. I work there and have to be polite even when I just want to walk over and smack someone upside the head. Went into the locker room, grabbed my stuff for a steam/sauna/shower experience and figured I'd get on with my day.

Um. No. Not. I was pissed off.

I just couldn't let it go. After steam and sauna, I took my shower, rinsed my hair and put it back up & got dressed. I was still kind of fuming over having not responded, though, and was thinking of all the wonderfully snarky retorts I could use next time, when the fates smiled upon me. Truly. Big grin, even.

As I was walking back through the locker room, I noticed these 3 ladies at the counter. One was still blowdrying her hair, the other 2 were in the process of applying makeup.

I took my hair down again and as I walked past them quietly said, "No one needs to wear that much makeup.....certainly not at YOUR age....you aren't fooling anyone!" And I walked out of the locker room to shocked stares from those three.

Now I just hope none of them show up in my yoga class in the morning!

spidermom
March 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM
You're one bad ace mother thumper.

DragonLady
March 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Good for you! :)

spidermom
March 24th, 2009, 01:52 PM
haha - and I mean that in the nicest possible way

dulce-de-leche
March 24th, 2009, 01:53 PM
That was a good one !

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
You're one bad ace mother thumper.

Yes, and a Ficcare Ninja Assassin, too.

patience
:rollin: Great comeback!

Aisha25
HAHAHA you are the best!!!! my idol:bowtome:

MissCinnamon
March 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Awesome Islandgrrl! It's funny, DH and I were just talking about how people who have subscribed to limiting beliefs/lifestyles are often bitter when they see someone who isn't "following the rules". Just because they think that they can't "get away with" long hair doesn't mean it doesn't look beautiful on you. This is not the 50s, there aren't rules for hair length by age. Silly girls.

Melian
March 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
OMG your comeback rocks!!!!!

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM
OMG your comeback rocks!!!!!

Thank you. Sometimes my brain works in mysterious ways. It wasn't among the clever retorts I'd prepared in my head at all!!! But hey, I'll take it!!! :)

Bluebell
March 24th, 2009, 02:00 PM
That's one sweet revenge!
That will teach them... Behaving like this...On their age!!:p

FallenAngel
March 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hahaha!! It's great when you actually get to use the clever remarks you think of "afterwards". Must have felt so good!

Gosh, IF they show up at your yoga class, they will feel very small!

misspriss
Awesome. Simply awesome. You rock!

Akiko
"No one needs to wear that much makeup.....certainly not at YOUR age....you aren't fooling anyone!" And I walked out of the locker room to shocked stares from those three.

Good for you! I hope I can remember this line. I might need to use it some day. That's so true. We cannot cover wrinkles. The foundation just gets in creases. If I try to cover my age spots completely, I end up looking like a plastered 40 year old.:eyebrows:

Kleis
March 24th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Completely awesome! :lol:

princess
March 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
That was a good reply. Good for you. I never would have thought of one that quick.

Unofficial_Rose
March 24th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Islandgrrl 1, Sheep 0!

Fantastic comeback :rockerdud:rollin:

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hahaha!! It's great when you actually get to use the clever remarks you think of "afterwards". Must have felt so good!

Gosh, IF they show up at your yoga class, they will feel very small!

G*d forbid. I'd be mortified. Totally mortified.

Eireann
March 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Oooh! What luck that you had a second chance at a comeback!!

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Islandgrrl 1, Sheep 0!

Okay, that just made me laugh. I choked on my tea a little bit....

joyfulmom4
March 24th, 2009, 02:20 PM
OMG! Too funny. You go girl!

Loviatar
March 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Islandgirl: You rock. That is all.

I would post the minions smiley but I am ashamed to say I dont know how. :lol:

LHGypsyRose
March 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
G*d forbid. I'd be mortified. Totally mortified.

No way! Don't be, they totaly deserved that and more! You tell em' girl, with yo bad self! LOL

dearladydisdain
March 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
:spitting: Haha! Way to go!

shwankie
March 24th, 2009, 02:30 PM
That. Is. Awesome. You absolutely rock.

You are my new hero. I'll be smiling about this the rest of the day!

cindy58
March 24th, 2009, 02:30 PM
That was good -- and I'm glad you had the guts to say it!

shwankie
March 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
As a sort of related note, one of the spin teachers at my gym is a *serious* long hair. Her hair is to her ankles, and her braid is as thick as my wrist. She's in her 40's, and she looks fabulous!

MotherConfessor
March 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
sniffle... I just, i just love you... that's so perfect.

LutraLutra
March 24th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Gawd, what mean women. I bet they spread joy and happiness where ever they go. Pfft. Good for you.

Hurray4Henna
March 24th, 2009, 02:37 PM
You're my hero ;)

Euphony
<high five>
I will say I'm surprised someone in this area, that is full of diversity, would think to make such a snarky comment about someone elses hair.

Fortunately I've not had any nasty comments yet - I'd have a tough time holding my tongue...I've bored the pants off the people that suggest donating it :D

Jason
Your account was a pleasure to read. It must have felt even better to have said that! Good for you!

QueenMadge
March 24th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Oh I love you, kudos for being a empowered enough person to call them on their s**T and possibly make them re-think their attitude!

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM
No way! Don't be, they totaly deserved that and more! You tell em' girl, with yo bad self! LOL

My bad self. Okay, that's just hilarious! Thank you!

SweetPea88
March 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Ahh I LOVE your response! You tell em! :D

KajiKodomo
March 24th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Awesome response! :D

kdaniels8811
March 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I laughed out loud when I read that! I am going to have to keep that one tucked away for when I need it! Good for you!

manderly
March 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Oooooh, the b!tch comes out swinging!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

/that was a compliment ;)

Nightshade
March 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Islandgirl: You rock. That is all.

I would post the minions smiley but I am ashamed to say I dont know how. :lol:

Let me assist with this most apt response:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/bowing.gif

And who cares if they're at yoga, odds are they're scared to death of you :p

EtherealJane
March 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Wow... you totally just made my day, Islandgirl! That couldn't have been scripted any better if someone had written the scene for you. Well done! :D

janeytilllie
March 24th, 2009, 03:03 PM
:rollin: wonderful comeback!

longinthehair
March 24th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Perfect comeback. You gave them their 'comeuppance'.
Anyway, how dare they! Honestly, it's just like grade school..sometimes there's nothing nastier than a gaggle or do I mean "gang" of girls!?? They can be so hurtful. The why of it is what I don't get..just nasty.

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 03:05 PM

I know! :inlove: Thank you!

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM
As a sort of related note, one of the spin teachers at my gym is a *serious* long hair. Her hair is to her ankles, and her braid is as thick as my wrist. She's in her 40's, and she looks fabulous!

My hair wants to be like that. Yeah. But it won't be until my 50s. :)

LittleOrca
March 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Woot!You go! :D

Addy
March 24th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Just goes to show ya... what goes around, comes around 10 fold. :D

bjjowett1993
March 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Very tactful! And without stooping to their level. Great for you! :D

BlackfootHair
March 24th, 2009, 03:27 PM
That is awesome! Truely awesome! I am glad you put those crappy b*tches in their place. lol :D

heidihug
March 24th, 2009, 03:27 PM
You're my hero, Islandgrrl! :D

Lamb
March 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM
You go, Islandgrrl!! I loved that comeback. :lol:

PrliamntofRooks
ROLFMAO!

Doses of snark--correctly delivered--are beautiful to behold!

LeaM07
Yess! :bowtome:

Finally, one of these stories gets a happy ending! :twisted:

SHELIAANN1969
Honestly, I hope they *do* show up in class and you give them a workout that shows you can kick their tail ends!

They need to learn some manners and couth, that was rude and completely inappropriate. It's very cliqueish and high schoolish to trash talk and gossip, it's worse to actually say it in earshot of the person being talked about.

Rude, rude, rude!

I am glad you got your 2 cents worth in, I am appalled at how catty and snotty some people can be.

BlackfootHair
March 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Hahaha...that made me seriously laugh! :D

JamieRose
March 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
That.. is. AWESOME. I wish I had your nerve.

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Very tactful! And without stooping to their level. Great for you! :D

Oh, I definitely think I stooped. But it sure did feel good!

Silverlox
March 24th, 2009, 03:41 PM
What a beautiful turning of the tables! :inlove: :bowtome:

As previously said, don't worry if they come to your yoga class, they'll be a lot more embarrassed than you, I'm sure! :flower:

Carolyn
March 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I love it! That was an awesome story. Ya done good :thumbsup: They got what they deserved.

misspriss
March 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM

'nah. You said it TO them, not about them. Maybe a little stooping...but not that low ;)

LadyLongLocks
March 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM
High Five :applause I'm glad you did it!!I would have done the same or it also would have drove me crazy.

Asha
March 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM
HAHAHAhaha I love it. Way to stand up for yourself.

CaityBear
March 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Haha, that was a good one.

I hate people who say stuff like that. Who cares if someone else has long hair? What's the big whoopie do about it? lol

CopperHead
March 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
You go Islandgrrl!!!! When did it become acceptable to make nasty comments to others? If I see something I don't like about someone, I keep it to myself. I was brought up better than that. Your comment to those "ladies" was perfect. If you see them in class, just smile and wave. ;)

Nat242
March 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
:lol: What a shot! Well done! Hopefully you've made an impact, and next time they'll keep their nasty comments to themselves.

RavennaNight
March 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
:rockerdud::rockerdud::rockerdud: that was an awesome comeback Islandgrrrl!!!!!!!! Wooohooooo! That made me smile.

Peter
March 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Haha, nice!:D

Rebelkat
March 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
:bowtome:
Great comeback, IslandGrrl! You rock! That woman was just asking for it. She probably meant for you to hear what she said (most women do when they say that kind of stuff), so she got what was coming to her. Maybe she'll think twice about making rude remarks from now on!

truepeacenik
March 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
that was just awesome.

but...why have products in your hair to exercise?

(yeah, I'm a hippie and don't know all the ins and outs)

catfish
March 24th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Out-bloody-standing:guns:

Xandergrammy
If they show up in your yoga class, maybe you could be sure to include some more challenging postures that not everyone at THAT age could manage?! :wannabe:

ClareDee
Haha. That was sweet, sweet justice :D I bet that stung them bigtime, and they deserved it. Well done ;)

brok3nwings
March 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM
ohhh you are such a bad girl!! eheh :) in your place i would LOVE to have the guts to do the same... and i would if it was a particular moody day for me... im sure you surprised them and made them all change colour!

i have a question that has nothing to do with this but i remembered it when reading this, is sauna drying to your hair? what do you do with your hair while you´re in the sauna?

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
that was just awesome.

but...why have products in your hair to exercise?

(yeah, I'm a hippie and don't know all the ins and outs)

I don't know why you'd have products in your hair to exercise. But two of them had hair that looked like a hurricane wouldn't move a strand out of place.

Actually, I don't know why you'd have products in your hair at all...but that's just me.

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
i have a question that has nothing to do with this but i remembered it when reading this, is sauna drying to your hair? what do you do with your hair while you´re in the sauna?

Oh, I love the sauna. I can never seem to get warm enough in the winter here, so I spend a LOT of time in the sauna (shh...sometimes I fall asleep in there before yoga). I usually get my hair wet and put some good, rich conditioner in it, and just do a deep conditioning while I'm in there. It rocks. If I'm not getting it all wet, I spritz it with water, especially on the ends, and wrap it in a towel. Never seems to get any dryer than is normal for my hair.

JessicaVonMaim
March 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Way to go! Some people can just be so rude.

lora410
March 24th, 2009, 05:03 PM
That.was.totally......AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elphie
March 24th, 2009, 05:09 PM
5-Strand Braid salute! Great comeback!

Forever_Sophie
March 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I love you for saying that!!! Just perfect :)

Igor
March 24th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Brilliant! :bowtome:

Helen Baq
March 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Bwahahahaha!!! :rollin:

If you see them in class, just smile and wave. ;)

Yes! Perfect! :p

long.again
March 24th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Oh my gosh. Good for you! :D

Alia
March 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Way to shut up that bunch of stupid b*tches!:thumbsup::hifive::applause

Darkhorse1
March 24th, 2009, 05:55 PM
You are my hero!!! (((hugs))) And I had no idea that you were that age! I thought you were late teens, early twenties!

EdG
March 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Very well-done, Islandgrrl! :applause:
Ed

coppercurls
March 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Well done indeed!:joy:

Cloverleaf
March 24th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Good for you - great comback! I can't believe people are so rude.

punky
March 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM
They were just jealous, great come back.:)

wahmof9
March 24th, 2009, 07:12 PM
You rock...THAT was awesome and the funniest part...it is sooooooooooo true!:)

smilinjenn71
March 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I can not believe how incredibly rude people can be sometimes!! Good for you, letting them have it! Hopefully they will think twice before making another snarky comment!!!

kwaniesiam
March 24th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Epic win :bowtome:

Now THAT is a tight bunned mean lady comment :D

angelthadiva
March 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM
:joy: :joy: Whoo hoo, Izzie, you got your b!tch license! You go girl! :thumbsup:

Is she one of us?

Feline
March 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Brava! Brava! :joy:

camirra555
March 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Well said!

JessTheMess
March 24th, 2009, 07:40 PM
MWahahhaa I loveee it :high five:

BittSweetCherry
March 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hahahaha, that was perfect! Good on you!

Shimmy
March 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I love you and your ways! LOL
I bet they'll think twice before making comments out loud.

MAO
March 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM
That's awesome! :hifive:

adiapalic
March 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
bravo! I bet that made you feel better.

gmdiaz
March 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Reading your response to those rude rude rude women just makes me so happy. They soooooo had that coming. I call it karmic kickback.

You know that they were just sick with jealousy, right? You clearly just have TOO much and should be minimizing yourself, so that they don't feel they have too little.

Too much of a good thing, in my view, is just about the right amount. *insert evil but happy laughter*

Perhaps if you see them in your class. . .you might congratulate everyone on their great work out and end with something like. . ."Cause you know, 60 is the new forty!"

Oh, I am sooo bad.

Tressie
March 24th, 2009, 09:04 PM
If they show up in your yoga class, maybe you could be sure to include some more challenging postures that not everyone at THAT age could manage?! :wannabe:
Hi-Jack Warning! I laughed out loud, Zandergrammy, when I saw that little angel with it's halo! So, innocent!! Ha, ha!

manderly
March 24th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Oh yes yes yes THIS! 100x this!

You MUST do this.....and announce loudly to the class that "these poses may be challenging for people of a certain age" WHILE STARING RIGHT AT THEM!! Muwhahahahaha.

longhairedfairy
March 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM
HAHA! They totally deserved that!

MadPirateBippy
March 24th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha- I read your post out loud to hubs and he went "oooooooh". You burned them good.

I hereby dub thee a very sassy wench. Don't Mess with Cap'n Might not replace the ninja tag line, but it SHOULD. :D

Carina
March 24th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Yes, and a Ficcare Ninja Assassin, too.

You rock Islandgrrl!!!:cloud9: You really do.Long hair is beautiful natural.But to much make-up is just so"Bozo the clown" if you ask me.You can never get to many ficcares;).Right:inlove::crush:.

rose_in_bloom
March 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
LOL!! :rollin: You just became my hero. That is so awesome that you had the guts to say that!

Ndnlady
March 24th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Islandgrrl you go girl! You are my hero!:p That was a great comeback! I will never understand people voicing thier own rude opinions out loud like it's perfectly ok to do. However I suspect jealousy played a part in thier catty little comment as well!

SimplyLonghair
March 24th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I don't know why it seems as if many people these days think that someone has made them a style guru, but they do.

You so rock Islandgrrl! :thumbsup:

I hope it makes them think twice the next time that they think about making such a snarky comment!

:rockerdud

lynnala
March 24th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Great comeback! You rule!

Juneii
March 24th, 2009, 11:22 PM
whoo! good one :]

BranwenWolf
March 24th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Gyms seem to bring out the really rude people, for some reason.

Your remark was awesome, I wish I could come up with stuff off-the-cuff like that! Usually I'm so angry I just stare at them.

spf4214
March 24th, 2009, 11:50 PM
That was a fantastic comeback.

Elenna
March 25th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Great comeback. They certainly need a lot of make up to make up for all of that hair glue.

SpecialKitty
March 25th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Islandgrrrl - I think the next time you go to spin class you should wear your hair in a bull whip braid (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22362&highlight=bull+whip) :twisted:

templeofvenus
March 25th, 2009, 01:44 AM
hahaha looks like you got the bitches! they would have been speechless that was awesome what you said :D

shayly-fyanna
March 25th, 2009, 01:48 AM
you rock! :p best come back i've heard in a while.

I've been having the same problem at work lately, people keep making comments about me growing my hair and keeping it always in a bun or braid. i ignore them but fume like a steam engine sometimes.

You go girl, don't let anyone get the best of you. ultra long hair rocks!

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Best retort EVER!!!
I'm in stitches! You go girl!!!

DecafJane
March 25th, 2009, 04:42 AM
You are a legend!

Drynwhyl
March 25th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Bravo, Islandgrrl, bravo! :D

Chrissy
March 25th, 2009, 04:45 AM
LOL!!!! OMG!!! You are too funny! I'm glad you said it. Fooey on them. It wasn't mean, just right. I haven't read the replies yet but will do it now. So what if they are in your yoga class? Who cares. I think what you did was perfectly fine.:twisted:

Lady Verity
March 25th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Yes!

You rock. :toast:

Chrissy
March 25th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Oh and it is a good thing you didn't respond right away. It gave you time to think and come up with something that perfect! Oportunity!!!!

Phalaenopsis
March 25th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I loved it! I had a big grin on my face when I read your comment :D

marzipanthecat
March 25th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Wow - excellent reply!

I probably would have just ignored them and been all depressed for the rest of the day...

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Oh yes yes yes THIS! 100x this!

You MUST do this.....and announce loudly to the class that "these poses may be challenging for people of a certain age" WHILEh STARING RIGHT AT THEM!! Muwhahahahaha.

Hehehehe....I would SO do this...except almost everyone in my class is my age or older. I've got people in their late 70s and early 80s in my class....and believe me, it's NOT an easy class to start with!

taliarose
March 25th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Islandgrrl you just made my morning! Great comeback!

rach
March 25th, 2009, 06:49 AM
nah they're just jealous , you've got lovely hair. too old to have hair that age.......... blah, i idolize women who who are mid to old age who don't give into the comments "but shorter hair makes a person look younger" :steam . i personally don't think this ever since i saw this 80ish year old woman with silky pure white hair down to her bum and my god did it make an impact. it was amazing!!!! that to me made her look young! and very Jealous

Pixna
March 25th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Frickin' BRILLIANT, Islandgrrl!!!!!!!!:hifive:

NiAosSi
March 25th, 2009, 06:57 AM
That was a nice come back!

Eireann
March 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Ever notice how it's almost always women who criticize other women's long hair? You hardly ever hear a straight man say a woman's hair is too long. No one ever writes poetry about a neat shoulder length bob with layers and frosted highlights.

az_sweetie01
March 25th, 2009, 08:01 AM
:spitting:

.....:hifive:

That is awesome.

Nightshade
March 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM
No one ever writes poetry about a neat shoulder length bob with layers and frosted highlights.

:lol: I like how you put that.

invisiblebabe
March 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Ever notice how it's almost always women who criticize other women's long hair? You hardly ever hear a straight man say a woman's hair is too long. No one ever writes poetry about a neat shoulder length bob with layers and frosted highlights.

LOL. Actually when I had classic length hair (which was in decent condition), I did have a couple guys comment on how I should get it cut. Now I am wondering about their sexuality :whistle:

At BSL or waist, I haven't had any guys tell me I should cut it. I wonder if some people - guys and girls included - are just uncomfortable with anything that falls way outside the norm.

I prefer my hair at BSL for now, it is easiest for me to maintain, and looks thickest on the ends. I liked it at classic when I had it that way (ages 14-18 ), though.

DarkChocolate
March 25th, 2009, 08:27 AM
That was so high school of them! Great comeback:)

JamieLeigh
March 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Wow. That was so uncalled for, and that was such an awesome comeback! I soooo hope the lady who made the remark was among the ones who got to hear you. Normally, I'm all about a polite reply, but sometimes things just make you angry! :cheese: I hope they either leave you alone, or come out of the closet and admire your hair (like they're probably secretly doing...). ;)

melrose1985
March 25th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Kudos to you!!

MsBubbles
March 25th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Good for you. That kind of poison is better out than in. I think you're better off getting that out of your system. :D Actually, I don't think I could have shown as much restraint as you did.

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2009, 10:32 AM
First of all....

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you! I appreciate all the support you've offered up to me. It means more to me than you can ever know.

I do have a very brief update.

None of the three of them attended my yoga class this morning, nor did I see them in the gym. Spin class is tomorrow....so we'll see what happens.

I did, however, get a fantastic compliment after yoga today. A woman attending the class following mine stopped me and told me that I have beautiful hair and she wished hers looked like mine! Wooohooo!! :happydance: I might point out that she has very, very short glossy nearly black hair that she totally rocks. Looks amazing on her.

Anyway, thank you all again. I cannot believe how huge this thread has gotten!

punkgirl89
March 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Awesome comeback! Btw, you have gorgeous hair and I envy you :-) they're probably horribly jealous!

iriska
March 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM
hahahahaha :) )))
you rule ! ;)

btw, your hair looks absolutely gorgeous, and it's not the first time i noticed it on your avatar pic :)

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2009, 11:01 AM
You are my hero!!! (((hugs))) And I had no idea that you were that age! I thought you were late teens, early twenties!

Really? :D:D:D I've got this same stupid grin on my face right now.

I am truly in my late 40s. I will be 49 in May. The 40s don't get any later than that!!!

Thank you!

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Thank you for the hair compliments!:o

Tabitha
March 25th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I am truly in my late 40s. I will be 49 in May. The 40s don't get any later than that!!!

As a fellow middle-aged lady (horrible horrible phrase) - 47 next month - I can't help but approve of your considered come-back!

In general, the older I get, the less I care what others think but deliberate pointed rudeness is another matter.

dor3girl
March 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM
At least you had the chance to say something! I usually don't come up with good comebacks until MUCH later... And by the way, You are so beautiful, they were probably just jealous!

Pixna
March 25th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Really??? I'm 55 and here I was thinking I was in my late 40s. Boy, did I get that wrong!! :smirk:

I must say, Islandgrrl, you are looking fabulous (from behind at least!)!!

hippiechick1976
March 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM
how truly wonderful:)

Fencai
March 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
AHAHAHAHAHA! That's AWESOME!!!!

I know when we belonged to the "Y" the people were really just there as a social event, so I made sure to go at 5am, so it was just the hardcore people.

DH and i couldnt stand it and ended up switching gyms, and its soooooo much better!

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Really??? I'm 55 and here I was thinking I was in my late 40s. Boy, did I get that wrong!! :smirk:

I must say, Islandgrrl, you are looking fabulous (from behind at least!)!!

Why, thank you! :silly:

pointydog
March 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Haha that's funny.
I had a similar (but probably benign) comment a few weeks ago.
Standing in line at the bagel shop with my hair down (unusual for me, it's normally up) when the older lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder and told me I had lovely hair.
She then asked why I didn't cut it off and donate it to some charity that makes wigs. She even had a card from the charity with her!

I was very suprised, to say the least.

I told her that they make very nice synthetic wigs at very reasonable prices and anyone who wanted a wig could easily afford one, even if they had cancer.

Then I did some hunting and found out that many people sell their long hair, there are classified online listings just to put buyers and sellers in touch. Wow.

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Haha that's funny.
I had a similar (but probably benign) comment a few weeks ago.
Standing in line at the bagel shop with my hair down (unusual for me, it's normally up) when the older lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder and told me I had lovely hair.
She then asked why I didn't cut it off and donate it to some charity that makes wigs. She even had a card from the charity with her!

Wow....she had a card from the charity??? Crazy long hair stalker lady.....wonder if she actually works for them....hmmmm.

That's really a little creepy.

I'm glad you set her straight!

LittleOrca
March 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
The song "Stupid Girls" by P!nk comes to mind. :lol:

Presto
March 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I just found this thread! :D
Great comeback! You must update tomorrow if they are in spinning class. And of course, give them your biggest friendliest smile when you see them, and watch for a trio of matching cat butts to appear. :lol:

Real beauty is innate, not overprocessed and ironed within an inch of its life.

AmandaPanda
March 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Islandgrrl FTW!!!

hennared
March 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Love your response to those 'cats' (no offense to true felines :) ). I swear - if my 24" long hair survives the thinning I've been experiencing (at 42 yo), NO WAY am I cutting it... I relish my hair long and am now even more in awe and respectful of women in their older years with long hair. (Then again, I've always wanted to have really long hair 'when I grow up', and always appreciated really long hair on really old women; it's cool!)

What really got me about your story was how the comment was made within clear earshot of you. How disgustingly rude. The woman who commented *knew* you would hear her. What's the point of that, other than to hurt you? ugh. Just plain ugh!

MimiKeki
March 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Ahhh! I'm so proud of you. I'm so glad you gave her a taste of her own medicine.

Susana
March 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
THAT IS SOOOO AWESOME!!!! Good job. I am seriously impressed....and laughing:cheese::D

flowers-n-waves
March 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
hehe that's horrible but i love the comeback.

It kind of sucks that most people don't have long hair anymore these days. It's cos nobody has the time anymore to keep it in shape and if you don't, it's like why do you bother with it then?? I'm happy with my dead ends thank you very much and for someone who only trims 1" off once a year, it's actually in pretty good shape! ok...had to get that off my chest :P

I was telling my friend that my hair (back then) was 27" and he says "eww and you like that??". Listen buddy, how is my hair bothering YOU. Of course i LIKE it. I'm not too cheap to buy scisors lol

some silly things people say ;)

longhairedfairy
March 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I was telling my friend that my hair (back then) was 27" and he says "eww and you like that??". Listen buddy, how is my hair bothering YOU. Of course i LIKE it. I'm not too cheap to buy scisors lol
some silly things people say ;)

And she probably likes (eeewww) chopped, shredded, bleached, and fried hair?

Presto
March 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM
So, how was spinning class?
:D

Islandgrrl
March 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Okay, I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=520102#post520102). Posting for your reading enjoyment, now!

Okay, here's today's update.

One of the three of them was in spin class again this morning. I was already on the bike warming up when she walked in and took the bike next to mine (where she'd already placed her stuff before I came in). She looked a little nervous and really I paid her little attention.

As luck would have it, everyone else in the class were long time regulars and I know them all pretty well. I kind of felt sorry for the woman sitting next to me because she clearly didn't know anyone else.

Class rocked, the instructor and I were paired up in our instructor training and we've known each other a long time. I broke a personal best this morning and made over 500 calories burned, which means I have to bring cinnamon rolls to the next class. As class was ending, I told everyone I'd bring cinnamon rolls on Tuesday, and I looked right at the woman next to me and said, "Hope you'll all be here!"

Class ended, I walked out and into the locker room. She followed. And APOLOGIZED for what her friend had said. Told me that she and her friends were here for some kind of retreat for a week and they would be leaving on Sunday. Her friends were too intimidated to come back to spin class - they thought *I* would be there and *I* would be mean to them (as if!). And that she thought my hair was "just fabulous."

longhairedfairy
March 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM
That's so cool that she apologized! I really respect it when someone is mature enough to do that:)
Your hair IS fabulous!:)

Islandgrrl
March 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I don't know how fabulous my hair is ( it's being 100&#37; obnoxious today ), but I did appreciate the apology. She seemed genuinely embarrassed and maybe a little afraid. I hate it when I scare people.

JamieLeigh
March 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Haha! I'm so glad you got an apology!! And the mean part of me is glad to hear that you intimidated the other women although I hate that they chose not to return because of it. Your hair IS gorgeous, and they definitely realized they were out of line commenting to the contrary! :D Kudos!!

Pixna
March 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!! How fabulous is THAT???!!! You handled it so well, Islandgrrl. You are my hero! :bowtome:

Euphony
March 26th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Very nice!

Grace, style and beauty all rolled in to one!

Nightshade
March 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know how fabulous my hair is ( it's being 100% obnoxious today ), but I did appreciate the apology. She seemed genuinely embarrassed and maybe a little afraid. I hate it when I scare people.

I doubt you actually scared her scared her, it's just hard to come back when you know you've made an ass of yourself and were put in your place.

I give her props for apologizing as I'm sure that wasn't easy, and you props for accepting it so gracefully.

And congrats on the personal best! :flowers:

WritingPrincess
March 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Oooh, that's bad! But such a good comeback!

Dreamernz
March 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
You go girl!!!! Right on!!!!! An inspiration to all of us!!!! :D:D:D

ktani
March 26th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Okay, I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=520102#post520102). Posting for your reading enjoyment, now!

Okay, here's today's update.

One of the three of them was in spin class again this morning. I was already on the bike warming up when she walked in and took the bike next to mine (where she'd already placed her stuff before I came in). She looked a little nervous and really I paid her little attention.

As luck would have it, everyone else in the class were long time regulars and I know them all pretty well. I kind of felt sorry for the woman sitting next to me because she clearly didn't know anyone else.

Class rocked, the instructor and I were paired up in our instructor training and we've known each other a long time. I broke a personal best this morning and made over 500 calories burned, which means I have to bring cinnamon rolls to the next class. As class was ending, I told everyone I'd bring cinnamon rolls on Tuesday, and I looked right at the woman next to me and said, "Hope you'll all be here!"

Class ended, I walked out and into the locker room. She followed. And APOLOGIZED for what her friend had said. Told me that she and her friends were here for some kind of retreat for a week and they would be leaving on Sunday. Her friends were too intimidated to come back to spin class - they thought *I* would be there and *I* would be mean to them (as if!). And that she thought my hair was "just fabulous."

Good for you with what you did to begin with. It made all 3 of them think about cause and effect and how unkind comments can come back to bite them.

I think that you handled the whole thing beautifully, including making that woman, who did show up, not feel unwelcome.

EtherealJane
March 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Oooooh, cinnamon rolls! I want some. :flower:

In all seriousness though, I'm glad she came and apologized. It shows great maturity--no wonder she looked so uncomfortable throughout class!! And shame on her friend, who couldn't be responsible and the bigger person to come apologize for her own actions.

InTheCity
March 26th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Perfect comeback!

lynlora
March 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
You rock girl !!!!! :applause:bowtome:

going gray
March 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM
You should be proud of yourself, perfect way to handle those stupid women.

AutumnSky
March 26th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Wicked burn!!
Longhairs: 1
Bitter Hags: 0
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

intothemist1999
March 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

intothemist1999
March 26th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Her friends were too intimidated to come back to spin class - they thought *I* would be there and *I* would be mean to them (as if!).

Oh lordie, they were worried YOU'D be mean to THEM??!! Sheesh, the skewed view some people have of their little world!!

Igor
March 26th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Oh lordie, they were worried YOU'D be mean to THEM??!! Sheesh, the skewed view some people have of their little world!!

Yea I feel pretty embarrassed on behalf of those two other cats. Just because you didn’t sob and slink away, but actually paid them back, they can’t handle the risk of meeting you again? How pathetic

30isthenewblack
March 27th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I haven't read all of the thread but I would have just walked away especially if this happened at my workplace. By making a snide comment back, all you do is lower yourself to their level.

LittleOrca
March 27th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I haven't read all of the thread but I would have just walked away especially if this happened at my workplace. By making a snide comment back, all you do is lower yourself to their level.

But you can only walk away so much! I have a little sister, trust me on this one! :lol:

Kuchen
March 27th, 2009, 03:50 AM
The apology really is wonderful. Give her the nicest cinnamon roll!

30isthenewblack
March 27th, 2009, 04:15 AM
But you can only walk away so much! I have a little sister, trust me on this one! :lol:

Haha! Don't worry, I have a brother too ;) I just laugh these comments off. I personally think when you make a retort back to someone, it validates their comment and it says to them that your comment affected me in some way. It hurts people more just to walk away and dismiss them as being insignificant :)

Islandgrrl
March 27th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I doubt you actually scared her scared her, it's just hard to come back when you know you've made an ass of yourself and were put in your place.

I give her props for apologizing as I'm sure that wasn't easy, and you props for accepting it so gracefully.

And congrats on the personal best! :flowers:

You're right, of course. I'm sure I didn't really SCARE her. She was just embarrassed. Took some real guts to do what she did. I admire that. We all do stupid stuff.

Thanks.....:)

Islandgrrl
March 27th, 2009, 06:21 AM

Ya know, most of the time I agree with this. I really do. I usually walk away and forget about it.

But for whatever reason, I just couldnt do it this time.

AutumnLeaves
March 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
That was awesome. I think your hair is beautiful!

hennared
March 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM
It IS great one of the women apologized; but I extremely highly doubt she would have, had Islandgrrl not made that comeback. It woke someone up to recognize their own petty cruelty.

justgreen
March 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Yeah, you stooped...but at least AT YOUR AGE, you were able to get back upright again with no problems and your face didn't slide off (make-up wise) from the altitude difference . (I can tease you about your age since I'm your Grandmother)

I might have said something like 'who uses a blow dryer in this day and age, what a dinosaur', or 'are you crones still here? I thought when you had short hair you could get ready to go faster than us long-hairs'.

But you said JUST the right thing and if they do show up in your yoga class, have fun smirking!:p

ETA: How nice for ONE of them to apologise, the one that didn't make the remark?

Carolyn
March 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM
You said just the right thing to them if the one woman came back and aplogized. That means they heard you and that they had to have talked about it. You made them consider what they had said and they realized how rude and shrewish their words were. You raised their consciousness. Kudos to the one who came back. That took guts. I would hope that all three of them would consider what they say in earshot of someone in the future. They will probably wait until they are in the car :rolleyes: Sometimes you just have to say something. You have to do it for you. I don't think that's stooping to their level.

skay
March 27th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Well done, Islandgrrl.

As Kenny Rogers said,

"You gotta' know when to hold them and know when to fold them."

Sounds like you've got the right amount of balanace.

Great job.

I admit, I was in one heck of a snarky mood this morning. Still am, if you want the truth.....

So, I did spinning class today, and there were 3 new women in there I've never seen before. All about my age, roughly - mid to late 40s. All three had "fashionably" short hair, streaked, probably product laden.

After class, I walked out into the lobby, and pulled the Ficcare out of my hair and shook it all out. Plan: take a shower, get it wet. As I walked past these three women, who were standing and talking near the front desk, I overheard one of them say to the others (apparently thinking I must be stone deaf), "Would you look at that! No one needs hair that long. Especially not at HER age."

Shocked, I kept walking. I work there and have to be polite even when I just want to walk over and smack someone upside the head. Went into the locker room, grabbed my stuff for a steam/sauna/shower experience and figured I'd get on with my day.

Um. No. Not. I was pissed off.

I just couldn't let it go. After steam and sauna, I took my shower, rinsed my hair and put it back up & got dressed. I was still kind of fuming over having not responded, though, and was thinking of all the wonderfully snarky retorts I could use next time, when the fates smiled upon me. Truly. Big grin, even.

As I was walking back through the locker room, I noticed these 3 ladies at the counter. One was still blowdrying her hair, the other 2 were in the process of applying makeup.

I took my hair down again and as I walked past them quietly said, "No one needs to wear that much makeup.....certainly not at YOUR age....you aren't fooling anyone!" And I walked out of the locker room to shocked stares from those three.

Now I just hope none of them show up in my yoga class in the morning!

Eireann
March 27th, 2009, 01:33 PM
That's great that she apologized! She must have been mortified by her friend!

Trinka
March 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I usually only think of appropriate answers like that when I wake up two weeks later, out of a sound sleep, and think of what I should have said.

I love it that the lady apologized, and you were able to handle it with grace. What a nice ending!

marla
March 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Ugghhh look at this article, presupposing that after 40 you will naturally want your hair short:

http://newhairstyleswomen.com/women-over-40-hairstyles/

susiemw
March 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM
. No one ever writes poetry about a neat shoulder length bob with layers and frosted highlights.

oohhhhhhh, this would be another good comeback!

susan

Aditi
March 28th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Bravo!!!! that will teach them to mind their own business

vindo
March 28th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Great Timing! I can only imagine their faces! :lol:

LovingLife
March 28th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hahaha!
Perfect! Let that show them!

Pixna
March 28th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Ugghhh look at this article, presupposing that after 40 you will naturally want your hair short:

Easier to maintain, less time-consuming, and more cost effective???? Uh, I don't think so! Coming from pixie length in 2007, I can tell say with certainty that I spent a significantly large amount of time and money taking care of short hair, and had I wanted to keep it that way, I would have spent even more on salon appointments. I can't understand how this myth continues to get perpetuated, and so many of us women believe it.

noelgirl
March 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM

I feel that age is one aspect of the person, and not vice-versa. The fact that you've hit the big 4-0 isn't all you're about all of a sudden. And articles like that feel out of touch, in light of how many over-40 stars have long hair and youthful wardrobes these days. If you're going to talk fashion, at least be up to date!

rchorr
March 28th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I LOVE it! It reminds me of a comment my sister's mother-in-law made to me (and yes, I was pms ... not a good day to make such a comment ;^)

She said "Don't you think you're getting a little old for hair that long?" My reply ... "Maybe, but I'm too young for your hairstyle." I think I took my sister by surprise, but she didn't say anything. Neither did her mother-in-law! LOL!

RCHORR'

WritingMum
July 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Island, you were creative in your comeback. There are many times when we wish we could come up with the right thing to say. Is there any chance that the woman who was the original snark was the woman who was blowdrying her hair?

This isn't going to be a popular view, but I can't help thinking that there was at least one other woman there who did not say anything about you at first who was probably hurt by the revenge makeup comment. I find that sad.

WelshLocks
July 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM
You're my idol!I told my mom this story(she's roughly your age)and she said "You go girl"(she doesn't have long hair but appreciates it and is cheering me on in my journey)

:)

Tom Steinberg
July 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Haha that's reall good! Serves them right! People who comment like that reveal so much about themselves, and it's not all flattering...

DMARTINEZ
July 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM
LOL, Classic!!!!

Deb

CherrySilver
July 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Good for you, you *really* made my day!!!!!!

Alun
July 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM

So true!:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese: :cheese: :cheese::cheese:

teela1978
July 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Fantastic :) Thanks for sharing!!!

redneckprincess
July 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I would have turned around and thod them that you heard them loud and clear, and mentioned something not quite so nice about their apperance. and told them they are just jealous to never be able to grow their hair so long. but then again Im not so nice

young&reckless
July 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thank goodness you ran back into them, a good comment like that should never go unused.

thankyousir74
July 28th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Dude, that's awesome. I always hate myself afterwards for not thinking quickly enough to say something. I usually just play over the "would be situations" but you actually fought back! Awesome! :D

islesgirl
July 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM
We have to learn not to let their problem become ours. A good friend tried to teach me this life-lesson. However, being the overly sensitive person I am, I was inwardly pretty upset by a "friend's" comment about my freshly grown in grey hair this spring. She said it "needed some color". Just a few words - but just enough to get me doubting my own judgment - again. Has happened so often in my life in so many different areas of my life. I seem to attract bullies. I added color to it again. Perhaps jealousy enters into this? Then again, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, and we just don't all see things the same way. When we don't however, we must learn to be very careful to not be so "opinionated" that we hurt someone. I bet your hair is just gorgeous. Can't wait to be allowed to see all the photos on this forum - aw, but I'm just a newbie here.

ladylibra
July 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Yes!!! :D

I know this was back in March... but that was one of the greatest comebacks ever! ;)

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM

That is the best thing I have heard in a long time!! Kudos to you for having a pair big enough to not take it lying down!

Medievalmaniac
July 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Don't mess with the redheads! You go, girl! I'm thrilled it went so well for you in the end, and I loooove the idea of making your yoga class harder and then modifying it for the "older bunch"! lol

kmouse43
July 28th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Bravo!! They sure had some nerve!

MandaMom2Three
July 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I must admit, I :bowtome: as well :D .

Bunnyhare
July 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM
YOU ROCK! that is great! your hair is beautiful! if they do show up at your class in the a.m. just be your lovley self!
sugar is better than vinegar!

FullMoonTrim
July 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I like it! I am glad you said something to those women. How nasty of them to make a comment like that ....and for you to hear on top of it! I'm glad you twisted it around and threw it right back at them. I hope it stung! There is no reason for us to have to remain silent or swallow every thing that is said to us. Maybe they will keep their mouths shut next time! Beautiful hair by the way!

InTheCity
July 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Perfect comeback!

heatherdazy
July 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
You're a woman after my own heart! That's exactly what I would have said!

bahannas
July 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Brilliant! Hahaha. Girl, you got nerve!

Gingevere
July 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM
:whip: You're my idol! No, really- I've always wanted to be one of those women who can stand up for herself, rather than suffering in silence.

It seems I can only think of fitting comebacks after the fact. And I just can't seem to confront people about personal attacks, even when I'm fuming.

Orchid_28
July 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
OMG your comeback was so good! THat was so rude of them to think that...there is no age limit as to how long your hair is suppose to be. Your hair in your avatar is gorgeous by the way!

NickalNack
July 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hahaha, sometimes you really do need a little revenge now and then. I don't think I'd be brave enough to do that though. I've only ever been ball-z enough to do subtle, unspoken comebacks. Just a couple of days ago I was a restaurant with some friends, and out male waiter kept saying "Thank you, sir" and "Is this what you want, sir?" despite my high-pitched voice and mannerisms. I was wearing a big hoodie that didn't show off my curves at all, so the first couple times the waiter came around he only saw me in that. Then after a while my friends and I decided that I should take off my hoodie and show off my, um, attributes. When he came back around he did and extreme double-take as he was taking our food away. It was golden. Classic.

Oh well, I'll cut him some clack, it was a little dark in there.

launna
July 29th, 2009, 02:23 AM
OMG your comeback was so good! THat was so rude of them to think that...there is no age limit as to how long your hair is suppose to be. Your hair in your avatar is gorgeous by the way!

That's what I think!

Well done, Izzy. :D

Evie
July 29th, 2009, 05:47 AM
:rockerdudYou rock. Really.

That is an awesome come back....

Maddy25
July 29th, 2009, 06:24 AM
OMG your are an inspiration! Be confident and stand up for yourself! I love it!

Wicked Princess
July 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM

All hail, Islandgrrl! Defender of long locks, and a true "Long Haired Knight" (love those signatures, by the way, ladies).

I have to add:

I really respect that woman for being the only one out of the three to come back and apologize to you. It is one thing to say something mean, but once you are called out for being rude, it takes a great deal of courage to admit that you were being rude and apologizing for it.

Aer
July 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM
You have beautiful hair, so their motive was probably jealousy. Which means that on some level they may have meant for you to hear that nasty comment. It's good that woman apologized, but that doesn't erase what was said. My mom is in her late sixties, and has long hair, and it makes her look younger than when she had shorter hair a few years back. Why do you have to have a hair length for your age? Thats like someone telling you, " she really shouldn't have dark sable hair at your age, it should be completely gray, even if it is natural". Although silver hair is gorgeous, any color or length is your choice, and in my opinion long hair generally brings out peoples best assets and features.
Great comeback by the way!

Gingevere
July 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Hahaha, sometimes you really do need a little revenge now and then. I don't think I'd be brave enough to do that though. I've only ever been ball-z enough to do subtle, unspoken comebacks. Just a couple of days ago I was a restaurant with some friends, and out male waiter kept saying "Thank you, sir" and "Is this what you want, sir?" despite my high-pitched voice and mannerisms. I was wearing a big hoodie that didn't show off my curves at all, so the first couple times the waiter came around he only saw me in that. Then after a while my friends and I decided that I should take off my hoodie and show off my, um, attributes. When he came back around he did and extreme double-take as he was taking our food away. It was golden. Classic.

Oh well, I'll cut him some clack, it was a little dark in there.

That's awesome. A few years ago, some girl asked my friend if I was a guy. I was wearing a pink sweater, miniskirt and kitten heels at the time, but my back was turned to her and my voice was extremely low and scratchy because I was sick. I guess she thought I was in drag or something. :lol:

tigerlily896
July 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Nice! what sweet sweet revenge! I totally hope they heard you.

By the way your hair is beautiful, I don't care what age you are!

longhairedfairy
July 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Nice! what sweet sweet revenge! I totally hope they heard you.

By the way your hair is beautiful, I don't care what age you are!

Yep, they heard her. Check page 16 for their reaction.:flower:

hydrangea
July 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hearing your story of revenge made my day! Thanks for sharing. :D

ZadenWillowfyre
July 30th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Perfect come back!

keight425
July 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
AWESOME!! :agree::agree::applause:applause:bowtome:

LuXious
July 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM
people who have subscribed to limiting beliefs/lifestyles are often bitter when they see someone who isn't "following the rules". Just because they think that they can't "get away with" long hair doesn't mean it doesn't look beautiful on you. RIGHT ON! Good for you, IslandGirl. Some people...

CavyQueen
July 30th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I'll keep that line in mind next time some one tells me to layer or cut my hair because I look unprofessional. Stay the way you are; you are a long-haired beauty!!!!!!!

EynaraWolf
July 31st, 2009, 12:41 AM

But sometimes it’s the side come back that allows these people to open their eyes and see how hurtful their behavior is. Those kinds of comments hurt and infuriate. Hopefully she has opened the eyes of these ladies so they can see that what the say and do does have consequences. Sometimes the retaliation isn’t a well delivered snarky comment and can lead to something far worse.

Island, you were creative in your comeback. There are many times when we wish we could come up with the right thing to say. Is there any chance that the woman who was the original snark was the woman who was blowdrying her hair?

This isn't going to be a popular view, but I can't help thinking that there was at least one other woman there who did not say anything about you at first who was probably hurt by the revenge makeup comment. I find that sad.

It is sad that the other women’s feels might have been hurt, but they also didn’t do anything to stop the bullying behavior. The only way bullies are stopped is by someone willing to stand up to them and it is my personal opinion that those who allow the bullying to happen/continue are just as much at fault.
The good news is, these women have been shown how their behavior can hurt. No one was physically injured and an apology was made and gracefully accepted. I can only hope my children learn life’s lessons so easily and from a teacher who isn’t mean spirited.

Islandgrrl Kudos on how you handled the whole situation from bad beginning to amicable ending. :)

krn2891
August 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM
That was a good comeback.

Ice~Cold~Wind
August 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hahah, nice comeback. I wouldn't have the guts to say that!!

dernhelm
August 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM
:hifive:

Good for you! Your comeback made me LOL.

blondecat
August 2nd, 2009, 02:30 AM
But sometimes it’s the side come back that allows these people to open their eyes and see how hurtful their behavior is. Those kinds of comments hurt and infuriate. Hopefully she has opened the eyes of these ladies so they can see that what the say and do does have consequences. Sometimes the retaliation isn’t a well delivered snarky comment and can lead to something far worse.

It is sad that the other women’s feels might have been hurt, but they also didn’t do anything to stop the bullying behavior. The only way bullies are stopped is by someone willing to stand up to them and it is my personal opinion that those who allow the bullying to happen/continue are just as much at fault.
The good news is, these women have been shown how their behavior can hurt. No one was physically injured and an apology was made and gracefully accepted. I can only hope my children learn life’s lessons so easily and from a teacher who isn’t mean spirited.

Islandgrrl Kudos on how you handled the whole situation from bad beginning to amicable ending. :)

Absolutely !!

It was only by standing up to the bullies, that they gained lnowledge into how they affect others.

Well Done Islandgirl :)

Rentlle
August 2nd, 2009, 06:12 AM
just great answer!!!
they deserve it!!!!!

justme
August 8th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Brilliant! :bowtome:

What she said! :D

Ryanne
August 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'm glad one of them apologized, and I think you handled it very graciously the next spinning class. It was nice comeback though.

Lady Mary
August 8th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Very nice comeback! :laugh: I'm glad one of them apologized to you, it's funny to me that the others were too afraid to come back to class for fear of your vengeance.

shaybabe8604
September 10th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I've just gone through the whole thread and am happy for your opportunity to get back at them (mean vindictive girl in me loves it) but I am also happy that at least one of them had the maturity to apologize. Usually when I am in a situation like yours I can think of a million clever things to say after the fact. I will keep your story at heart and live vicariously through your comment :smile:

vindo
September 10th, 2009, 03:58 AM
And if they do show up just let your hair down and smile :D

If my hair is still long by the time people will start making age comments it won't be fun for them, guaranteed ;)

Little_Bird
September 10th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I think you deserve an aplause! I loved it! :D

3azza
September 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Islandgrrl you rock!!!! Good on you :)

Thinthondiel
September 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Islandgrrl, that was an awesome comeback! And I'm glad one of those ladies had the decency to apologise.

Btw., you wrote in your post that you sometimes fall asleep in that sauna... do you know what the temperature usually is in that sauna? Because over here, the temperature in saunas is usually around 80 degrees Celsius (176 degrees Fahrenheit) - way too hot to fall asleep in!