PDA

View Full Version : Self-trimming and hair shape

wahmof9
March 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Ok I have decided no more hair salons for me. I discovered the Feye's self trimming method.

At this point I am not trimming but will do it myself when I need to.

I have lots of layers....how do you cut these when doing a trim?

I want to get rid of them but when they get hicky then what do I do?

What shape have you picked? U, blunt or V.

Feye's says V is great for weavy hair which I have...

So what is your opinion??? Hummmm?

Qamar
March 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Do you want to keep layers, or grow it all to one length?

If you want to get it to one length, just keep trimming the bottom layer and the other layers will catch up as they grow out. I trim mine to a very shallow U shape because I like it better than the V hemline and its more flattering than the blunt cut I used to have. My hair is straight though, and not all that thick. A V cut is beautiful on curls. Really, its about what you like though.

Rebelkat
March 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I've been doing a very slight V shape. I must not be leaning my head forward enough when I trim lol. I'm not sure what to do about the layers, to be honest. My layers have all grown out (or been cut off?) from when I had them about 5-6 years ago. I was still going to salons until about a year to a year and a half ago, so I'm not sure what they did for them. I'm afraid I'm not much help there. :o

But, FWIW, I think a V or U would look best on your wavy hair. :D

Anje
March 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I suspect you may need to section out the layers and trim them individually, or just S&D them when they get a bit wonky.

For my slightly wavy hair, I go with a U-ish hemline, but I've been doing it a bit differently than Feye's method. I tend to part it down the middle like you would for a V, then ponytail the hair at my chin. I slide the scrunchy down, and trim it like I would for a blunt cut. The difference is that the ponytail was secured in front, so the front hairs end up shorter.
Hope that makes sense to anyone other than me.

Jules diamond
March 24th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I've got wavy hair like you do and It's V shaped right now. I'd like to see pictures of some U and blunt cut wavies too though, since I'm considering growing the layers out starting next year.

Asha
March 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
My hair is aslo wavy and layered. I want a U shaped hemline at some point but my hairs a little shorter than yours. I have been doing my own trims for a few months now and I use a few ponytail holders to do this. I have been trimming the longer layers back slowly and only "dusting" the shorter ones, because I want them to keep healthy ends as well but its taking a while.

wahmof9
March 24th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the imput. I'll trim my own hair from now on. I think I may try the "soft" V. Although I do like the U.

Does anyone know why the V is "recommended" for wavy hair.

My hair is actually pretty curly on hair washing day and would as well in another climate. Where I live it is very dry.

Jules diamond
March 25th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to bring out the wave the best. I was told blunt cuts are too heavy for wavy hair and don't show waves properly. Take that with a grain of salt though, I've seen some great blunt cuts on wavy girls.

jessie58
March 25th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I'm not sure about others but I had the darndest time using Feye's self trim method on myself. I cut it all crooked and I think my hair was about 26 inches at that time. I think that those with longer hair find it easier to use this method. Than again, I could just be inept.

Pixna
March 25th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I've used Feye's method for short and long and everything in between. I've also done blunt hem, U-shaped, and V-shaped. My hair is currently TOO blunt, so I'm not trimming for the entire year. When my hair was growing out from a pixie, I had layers all over. I just kept trimming the hem (NOT the layers), and little by little, the layers just grew out and I was at all one length. Doing so sacrificed length, of course, but it is making the "getting back to long" process a lot easier now. My recommendation is to go that route -- it just depends on whether you are willing to sacrifice quantity (i.e. length) for quality (i.e. no layers).

I don't think there is any good way to trim layers if you want them to grow out. Just let them go and focus on trimming ONLY the bottom hemline. Sure, there will be a few wonky weeks, but my suggestion is to just grin and bear it and they will pass quickly enough. Cutting them in any way is only going to delay the agony and stymie your progress.

The hemline shape is really a matter of personal preference. I like a U or V on wavyheads, including on myself (I'm a wavyhead), because I think it shows off the waves more attractively. I don't care for a blunt hem with wavy or curly hair (even though I've at times had a blunt hemline when my hair was long). It's really what YOU like that is most important.

wahmof9
March 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Thank Pixna, this is very helpful! :)

Feye
March 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Hi there! Pixna is more of an expert on trimming these days than I am myself :grin:
I have personally never trimmed my hair any shorter than APL, and Pixna has made an excellent job with her latest blunt cut.

I am growing out layers this time around myself, and I plan to ignore them and let them catch up eventually. They are currently damaged from three bleaching sessions and five color jobs, so they break off a lot. I go through them as often as I can with scissors to snip off split ends, and I plan to grow a little and trim a little, so that I can both gain length and let the layers catch up at the same time. But that is just a personal decision. If the ends are breaking off too quickly, perhaps waiting at a certain length (BSL is when self-trimming is starting to get more easy) and let the layers catch up before growing longer.

The U-shape is really a combination of the V-shape and the Straight-across shape. If you start out with a V and you don't like it, you could always ponytail it like the straight-across instructions and snip off a little bit of the end of the ponytail. Just make sure to start out with very small trims, so that you don't end up cutting too much off.

I hope that helps! :)

lynnala
April 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I started with a V shape, now I'm going for more of a U. My hair is very thin and fine and it doesn't hang well with a straight cut, although I love that look.

Pixna
April 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Lynnala, isn't it great that you can make that decision without having to go to a salon? I love being in control of my hemline, and being able to shape it any which way I want.

spidermom
April 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Having tried twice and gotten a slant from left to right, with the right about 1-inch longer than the left, I've decided that I'm crap at self trimming. So I go to a hair stylist. She's very good. I love the U-shape, not so much the V, least of all the straight across, although a V shape looks beautiful on un-trimmed hair I've noticed.

danacc
April 4th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I have too much taper for a blunt hemline to look full, and I prefer a V or U shape for fairytale ends. I usually self-trim in a U, but I had cut in some long fringe, and it finally grew to shoulder length. On my last trim, I trimmed a V shape on the sides to blend in the fringe (the middle in the back is still a gentler U shape).

As others have said, which hemline shape you choose is aesthetics. Although I find that the tapered ends at my current length work great with up-dos.

sandigirl
April 4th, 2009, 07:05 PM
My friend trims my hair. He cuts it straight across and then forms a gentle U up the sides. Free, fast, and easy.