PDA

View Full Version : Hemline question, going longer...

frodolaughs
March 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM
When I first joined I thought I wanted hip length hair and a blunt hemline. Just a few minutes ago I wrote a post describing my length as 'almost waist,' then realized I'm really somewhere between hip and tb. (?!?) (uh, constant bunner, no good bathroom mirror). I haven't trimmed in ages and ages, and I've noticed that my hair stays much more firmly in a bun now than it used to. Since I'm pretty much at my goal, I guess I could start trimming to thicken my hemline, but would that make it harder to twist up into a bun?
Also, I'm tempted to just keep going lengthwise, to tailbone, classic or beyond. Does anyone have perspectives to share on the differences between waist and hip length hair vs the longer lengths? I've had every length from pixie to waist, but am now entering totally uncharted territory. Is there anything I should know/consider ahead of time?
Thanks everyone!

Anje
March 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'm not that far ahead of you, but I think my buns stay better at tailbone than they did at waist, which is quite nice, though I suspect that the end thickness is about the same at this point, or only a bit thinner. (I'll probably always have taper, but it seems to be moving downward, based on braid thicknesses.) I have also heard (but can't personally say) that thinner fairytale ends tend to hold better in buns than thick blunt ends do. Others, like Ursula, have said that the technique for securing buns with thick ends has to be a bit different, like tucking the ends through a loop, rather than winding them around the base.

joyfulmom4
March 24th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I do think that it's easier to secure buns when the ends taper more. The thing about securing ends is definitely true. The other thing is balancing the updo. With a thick, bulky pony or braid, you can't wrap around as many times and you end up with an obvious "thick side" and a "thin side" iykwim.

Because of this, I like to split my hair into two sections for many bun styles like cinnabuns and braided buns. That gives me two ropes to work with so I can make the buns more symmetric (the smaller diameter braids wrap around more and I can wind them in opposite directions so the look is balanced). I can also secure the ends better.

One larger ponytail or plait results in a bun that is often quite assymmetric and it can be hard to hide the tassel well or secure the bun.

For this reason, I've quit my regular trims and am allowing my ends to become more "fairytale" like. Probably won't let them go completely tapered and fairytale, but definitely choosing a less blunt hemline.

frodolaughs
March 25th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like tapered hair works better for buns. I think I'll have to look into those split-bun and end-tucking techniques. Although I wear my hair bunned probably 360 days of the year, on those occasions when I really want to flaunt it I think my hairtype looks best with a blunt cut hemline. Unless I went for terminal... Then I wouldn't have a choice, right? Isn't that tapered by definition? Has anyone actually reached terminal, or is that like finding the end of the rainbow?

JamieLeigh
March 25th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Quite a few people here are at terminal. EdG comes most readily to mind, because I talked to him about terminal length not long ago. :) I just now hit thigh length, and I chose blunt over fairy tale for right now (since I don't have much taper at all yet, I feel I can hold out for a little more thickness and fairytale somewhere lower on my body, if that makes sense?). My buns hold up a lot easier now than they did around waist or hip, for the most part, and my hair is not very thick, which means some bun styles I can't do because my hair has to wrap around so many times that it just looks ridiculously bee-butt. :p Many say on this forum that fairytale ends are easier to get tucked into updo styles.

LHGypsyRose
March 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I wear my hair up in a bun all the time and I don't notice having a bulkier and smaller side, maybe it also depends on length and how many times you can wrap it?? It isn't hard for me to secure my hair at all. I've never had very tapered ends, but I have had a slight taper before and I didn't notice a difference in securing it either way. I do it the same way by gently tucking the ends under the rest of the hair and cliping, pinning, etc.

misstwist
March 25th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Call me crazy, but I just had an idea.

If you wear your hair down only 5 times in any one year and your hemline isn't very tapered (I don't know if it is or not) couldn't you maybe do a small trim to blunt up the hemline in the morning when you are going to wear it down?

You could try this once so you get the satisfaction of a hemline that you think is pretty then see how it wears for you in a bun for the next two months or so. If it worked out well you could try another tiny trim the next time you want to wear it down, or leave it alone if it still looks pretty blunt or if it made bunning a pain for you.

Just an idea from the peanut gallery.

frodolaughs
March 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Misstwist, thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of that. It makes sense though.

misstwist
March 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Your welcome! My husband makes "obvious" suggestions when I'm having hair problems, it helps to be farther away from the issue.

Rebelkat
March 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Personally, I'm starting to find that the more fairytaled my ends become, the easier it is for me to get them to stay in my bun. The buns have a tendency to look more lopsided, depending on the type of bun, but the ends definitely are easier to keep in the bun. All I have to do is oil them and slide them underneath the bun and they'll stay all day!
:cheese:

Rebelkat
March 25th, 2009, 05:44 PM
My buns hold up a lot easier now than they did around waist or hip, for the most part, and my hair is not very thick, which means some bun styles I can't do because my hair has to wrap around so many times that it just looks ridiculously bee-butt. :p
I know EXACTLY what you mean. Even when my hair was thicker, some buns looked ridiculous on me!