PDA

View Full Version : Dymondwood water resistance

Requiax
April 2nd, 2008, 05:12 AM
So exactly how water resistant is Dymondwood? My first Ketylos came in the mail yesterday, and I was wondering if it would be ok to put the dymond one in my very damp hair. I don't want to ruin it, but really want to wear it today!

Alaia
April 2nd, 2008, 05:17 AM
I had a dymondwood stick that I put in wet hair, and I noticed the texture change after a couple of attempts at this, despite the fact that they are supposed to be water resistant.

I don't use them in wet hair any more, just to be safe, I use metal and/or plastic ones. :)

Nini
April 2nd, 2008, 06:29 AM
I use all my wooden hairtoys, dymonwood or not, in very damp to dry hair.

They've all been treated though, with some kind of oil/wax/something. As far as I can tell they all look brand new. My Mamacat hairfork I got back in 2005, and I've used it A LOT!

I try to remember to rub some oil on them once in a while though.

Nini

sapphire-o
April 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
I don't know about texture change, but most of my dymondwood pieces smell strongly of chemicals when they're wet. Slightly damp hair isn't so bad.

eadwine
April 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
My forks smell icky too, haven't smelled my sticks yet though. I haven't seen them do anything weird yet. *shrug*

eresh
April 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I always put my dymondwood sticks and fork in wet hair after showering and very very damp hair after misting, no problems :-)

I only had a problem with 2 sticks getting a white stain on them, but they weren't dymondwoods.

DMARTINEZ
April 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
I have one in a damp bun as I type! Ive had NO problems with damp hair usage.
The chemical or whatever smell has long since disappeared from my fresh Ketylos.
I LOVE THEM! :)

Deb

Cinnamon Hair
April 2nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
In my experience, dymondwood is completely waterproof. There is an odor when newer (or sometimes even older) pieces get wet from the dye injected into them. You can smell it on dry pieces but usually it isn't as strong. To me it smells like children's water based finger paints --the kind that come in a plastic tray. So I don't mind it.

chloeishere
April 2nd, 2008, 09:43 PM
My dymondwood ketylos are what I use when I need to put my hair up in the shower, and I haven't had any problems at all.

They are supposedly completely waterproof, and I'm taking their word for it-- if any of my sticks get ruined from being it wet hair (which I don't think could happen, I've done it with no issues at all), I'll ask the seller about it and see what happens. I really don't think it will ever happen though.