PDA

View Full Version : aloe vera shampoo recipe?

ahbuddha7
March 23rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hi All, first time poster, I tried to read and search to make sure I am not reposting a question, I hope it is not reduntant. Anyway, I have scalp psoriasis and have been SLS free for years, unfortunately my favorite shampoo maker has raised their prices outside my budget:(. I am now trying to figure out how to make my own soap free shampoo. I see many recipes on the internet that use castile soap as a base, I would like to avoid this because I am sensitive to ANY soap. The ingredient list on the shampoo I had been using is aloe vera, does anyone have a recipe for an aloe vera based cleanser?

My hair is moderately curly, neither fine nor coarse, oily base with crispy ends

I have tried ACV and a couple tea rinses but my hair doesn't feel clean and feels flat and stringy.

Thanks in advance for any advice:)

CurlyCare
March 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Abuddha7,

This is my first time posting in a looooong time. I don't have a great recipe for you, but I can tell you that I have "washed" my hair with nothing but aloe vera gel (either the watery kind you buy at a health food store, or the "gel" kind you get at a drug store for sunburn). I just rub it into the scalp (usually on dry hair, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on wet hair), give a little massage, and rinse out. I've never adopted this as my main cleaning routine, and I don't have psoriasis, but it has worked for me on occasions when I had an itchy or dry scalp.

--CC

Sia
March 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hi. I'm a new member too (but a long-time lurker!).

I'm sensitive to shampoo but what works for me as a substitute is:

-HES shampoo (mixture of honey, egg (and AVC)). If you look around the boards you'll a find a great many recipes.

-I've also used rhassoul clay which left my hair VERY clean. Some mix it with oil and/or egg to avoid potential dryness and produce milder results.
I haven't tried it myself, but if you'd really like to use aloe vera, you could try adding it to the above 'shampoos'.
Some use baking soda to wash as well.
Hope you find something which works for you!