PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever made a list of buns in order of how much length is needed?

karisaf
March 23rd, 2009, 10:26 PM
As I was dreaming of all the beautiful buns and updo's that I will someday be able to do....it occured to me how helpful it would be to have a list of buns/updo's in order of length needed. Is there anything like this floating around? And, if not, anyone want to tackle this? :)

(and, yes, I do know that the specific length needed varies per person due to hair type and thickness, but I am thinking more along the lines of a general list just from least to most)

Arctic_Mama
March 24th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Yes, it would be tough to specify inches.... But maybe a range? Like if each if the three hairtypes weighed in?

A general progression is a fabulous idea and I'd personally love one. I am on the very high side of thick so it takes me at least four inches longer than thinner hairtypes to do the same style, but guestimating what I could wear at what length would at least help with refining my hair goals.

hanne jensen
March 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I would love this, as I can't find a bun for shoulder length hair with lots of %&!! layers.

AprilElf
March 24th, 2009, 02:41 AM
:) I was actually thinking today at work (truly!) of how it might be neat to put together an article on how various buns look with different lengths and thicknesses. Some buns and knots can look quite different depending on how much hair you have.

I was thinking of more of a guide to identification ('Bun Spotting'!), but something like this would also give you an idea of what length you need to do a certain style.

ClareDee
March 24th, 2009, 05:32 AM
It'd be a lot of work for someone.... but yes it'd be cool! My hair is almost 22", and so far I can only do a cinnabun, a french twist (kinda), or a flipped-up braid sort of thing.

I'd love to get some idea of what buns I might be able to do soon. The number of different buns out there is kind of overwhelming, and sometimes I wonder if all of them require waist-length or thereabouts. So yeah, even some vague promise of a no-super-length-needed bun would be great to look forward to. It does get a bit lonesome here in APL territory when you imagine there are no new bun options for many inches to come :violin: :)

Elbereth
March 24th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Let's see how I remember my progress. For general information, my hair is fine and in the upper end of ii in the nape, but there is a LOT of taper along the way.

Shoulder length (barely)

hair gathered up with a claw clip
French braid tucked in (very nice style, I miss this one!)
possibly French twist
peacock twist

Shoulder to around APL

previous styles plus cinnamon bun
Chinese bun

BSL

back to claw clips...most of my previous favorites stopped working
basic knot bun

Waist

figure-8
infinity bun
more complex knots like crochet knot bun
Nautilus bun
log roll
cinnabuns made a comeback and at this length they started to beebutt if I wasn't careful
braided bun is starting to look good
no longer able to tuck French braid in, but can make a French braid + braided bun

Hip
hair too long for basic knot bun (can be modified easily, though)

KnightsLady
March 24th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Currently around bottom of BS and using

The lazy wrap bun (would be a problem for me to wear this if it was much shorter, but I don't like really tight styles so it may work for someone else.) **New style for me***
French twist with extra hair tucked in or shaped around twist.
French braid tucked under. I have plans for this style (there is something I'm curious to try - to see if it works) and all going well, will adapt it as my hair grows.
Plait curled around on the back of my head in an attempt to get a complete circle/rough immitation of braided bun, hoping the gaping hole in the middle will not be noticed. (Complete circle of reasonable size not yet achieved, but it doesn't stop me trying!!:p)

Nightshade
March 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I thought someone had made a huge searchable thing with links to instructions, though it may have gone by thickness rather than length.. :ponder:

Melisande
March 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Maybe it would be a nice added search category to this (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/filter.php?ax=o)wonderful encyclopedia of updos...?

Nightshade
March 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Maybe it would be a nice added search category to this (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/filter.php?ax=o)wonderful encyclopedia of updos...?

AHA! That's what I was thinking of!

Akiko
March 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I thought someone had made a huge searchable thing with links to instructions, though it may have gone by thickness rather than length.. :ponder:

Maybe this hair style dictionary (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/)? You cannot search by thickness or length, though.

My pony circumference is 2.75"/7cm.
When my hair was 25"/63.5cm long, I was able to do...

infinity
figure8
cinnabun
braided cinnabun
gibson tuck
wrap knot bun
lazy wrap bun
gibraltar
french twist

My hair is 28 inches long. I can still do all of them listed above.

ETA: Melisande is a fast typer!

JamieLeigh
March 24th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I know there are a lot of styles that I was probably NEVER able to do, having had long hair all of my life, but only in the past 5 months discovering all the cool styles for shorter "longhairs". :( So I can do a lot of the more intricate-looking braided styles, thanks to my length, and I know the one that I found recently starting from a ponybun (or cinnabunny) with a braided tail cannot be done on shorter than tailbone-length hair, unless it's not very thick. At least, not all at once. Sections can be done this way and it looks cute. :)

Igor
March 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I like the idea but if your hair thickness is above or below the average, the list will look very different for you. For example, I had to wait until almost tailbone length to be able to make a stabile, functioning cinnamon bun

ClareDee
March 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Maybe this hair style dictionary (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/)? You cannot search by thickness or length, though.

My pony circumference is 2.75"/7cm.
When my hair was 25"/63.5cm long, I was able to do...

infinity
figure8
cinnabun
braided cinnabun
gibson tuck
wrap knot bun
lazy wrap bun
gibraltar
french twist

My hair is 28 inches long. I can still do all of them listed above.

ETA: Melisande is a fast typer!

Akiko, your list has given me hope! :toast:
I don't have so long to wait (approx 6 months) until I can maybe do everything on your list. That's definitely encouraging :thumbsup:

Akiko
March 24th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Akiko, your list has given me hope! :toast:
I don't have so long to wait (approx 6 months) until I can maybe do everything on your list. That's definitely encouraging :thumbsup:

ClareDee, yes, you probably don't need to wait too long for these buns and twists!:cheese:

I can already tell my french twist will quit working before I hit waist. My goal is the maximum length for a french twist. It's coming in a few months. I am pretty happy with buns and twist I can do now.

In a few months, you will be able to enjoy all nice toys you already have... And more to come.:eyebrows:

Samikha
March 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
The Hair Style Dictionary that's already been linked to is supposed to contain a list of that eventually, but I guess ChatoyantLocks is busy or something, or maybe everyone just forgot about it:lol:

If it ever gets finished, it would save everyone a lot of time:cool:

lapushka
March 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM
What about an article with pics of all the buns (+ length indicators) and links to other articles explaining them. Kind of a meta-article. Or one could try to do this on an html page somewhere.

AprilElf
March 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM
That's kind of what I'd been thinking of lapushka (see my post on page 1).

I'm willing to have a go at putting together an article, if members are happy to submit pictures of their updos. :)

It wouldn't be an exhaustive list by any means, but rather a 'rough guide'.
I'm thinking I'd select 12 or so updos and have maybe 9 pictured examples of each: 3 thicknesses / 3 milestone lengths.

I think I'll start another thread in order to get some feedback and do some brain-storming.
:blossom:

darkwaves
March 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM
To create a list of styles by length would require calculating some magical mathematical average among us -- but our variations are so huge that this would be meaningless at the individual level.

Both here and on the old forum (which is worth checking for styles), there are many updos posted by members with BSL hair that I still can't do at hip length. (For example, a Figure 8 remains a totally unreliable style for me.)

For me, what works better is to find members with my hair type/thickness/length, and see what they could do at various lengths. Also, over the years, there have been many style trials, which are amazing resources.

ChatoyantLocks
March 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM
The Hair Style Dictionary that's already been linked to is supposed to contain a list of that eventually, but I guess ChatoyantLocks is busy or something, or maybe everyone just forgot about it:lol:

If it ever gets finished, it would save everyone a lot of time:cool:

Yep, I've been unexpectedly busy. I haven't forgotten about the project, though.

karisaf
March 25th, 2009, 01:57 PM
That's kind of what I'd been thinking of lapushka (see my post on page 1).

I'm willing to have a go at putting together an article, if members are happy to submit pictures of their updos. :)

It wouldn't be an exhaustive list by any means, but rather a 'rough guide'.
I'm thinking I'd select 12 or so updos and have maybe 9 pictured examples of each: 3 thicknesses / 3 milestone lengths.

I think I'll start another thread in order to get some feedback and do some brain-storming.
:blossom:

That would be awesome. I totally understand how different hair/thickness can do different styles at different lengths. But I guess what I would be interested in is a list/article that names the most popular buns/updos and maybe just lists them in the order that MOST people are able to do them in. I'd love to know what styles are on the horizon for me ;)

goodenough
March 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I have extremely thick (and slippery ) straight hair. I could do cinnabun at apl, and I really don't do much more than that at past-waist-haha. I can do a figure eight barely now that I'm approaching hip. I kinda feel like it's unfair--I never could do the apl and bsl looks (peacock, ponytails, etc), because my hair was too heavy.

But to agree--I think a list in order would be more helpful, since thickness and weight come into play.