PDA

View Full Version : Oh hi you guys

Riot Crrl
April 2nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
I have been silently lurking since the board came back up after its downtime. I will now out myself. I already know a couple of you from another forum or two.

I have 3a hair. I cannot imagine life without gobs and gobs of conditioner in it. I couldn't even before I was CG. I admit I feel slightly out of place here because my true goal isn't really to grow it as long as I can, but more to have it in better condition and have it look decent. By the standards of most people (in the US where I live anyway) I still have fairly long hair, though.

Here is a rough timeline of what I have done with my hair recently.

Last 15 years or so: wore hair very long and out every day. Used Pantene and Feria religiously, and brushed it. It looked kind of dull and gross, and wavy at most.

December 2007: cut from waistish/tailboneish a few inches off the longest layer, and also cut shorter layers. Realized for the first time in my life that maybe I had curly hair. Panicked and decided to check the internet for curly hair care. Read CG and started to implement the methods, but didn't quite do them all at once, lol.

February 2008: became a henna-head, and cut to BSL with more layers!

It does get nicer and curlier the more I baby it and treat it like curly hair. I'm joining for the babying tips. :)

I certainly do not think there is anything at all wrong with having goals of knee length and beyond if one wants to, I just personally don't want to, at least at this time.

My goals are to grow out the Feria, and just keep henna over natural. One inch down, 25 to go.

By the way, I think I broke like 7 hairs using the stupid metal tape measure to get the stats for my profile. :)

I would also like to learn more updos and get more updo accessory tips for the summer. I am currently hopeless in this area (which is pretty sad considering I've had long hair for 20 years), but I think I can learn.

I have a lot of experience (good and bad) with home color jobs, and what seems to be a newfound natural curiosity for researching ingredients so hopefully I can be of some help in these areas.

shell78
April 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hi Riotcrrl!

I came from the same board you did and joined here for mostly the same reasons. (except the henna) I'm relatively new to my curls too and I can't stop reading about keeping hair healthy! lol - anyway, welcome!
:cheese:

wolf girl
April 2nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
:DWelcome to both of you!! This is a great place to learn about hair care. Trial and error (yours and others) will also teach you alot. Happy Growing!

dancingbarefoot
April 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
I admit I feel slightly out of place here because my true goal isn't really to grow it as long as I can, but more to have it in better condition and have it look decent.

Don't worry - there's no single reason why people are here. Some are trying to grow as long as possible, some just want to have the best hair they can at their current length, etc. Lots of reasons!

Welcome! :waving:

Riot Crrl
April 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks everyone!

Hi Shell, there I've put my same avatar like you so we can recognize each other better. LOL

Lizbot
April 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Hey, Riot Crrl!

I am definitely in the same boat regarding finding out new updo's for summer. It's about to get ridiculous here...

Riot Crrl
April 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Liz!

Yeah, it doesn't really get too hot where I live most of the time. My issue is more that I like to get my hair wet every day so in the winter I use heat a lot. (But only on low for five minutes.) In the summer I want to have it up more just because I can put it up damp and go, and not catch pneumonia. So I should take advantage.

Lizbot
April 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Oh, I never thought of that! At least that explains how many times I got sick this past winter. Hahah.

I know you have curly hair, but usually what I do is put my hair up in a loose bun with a couple of clips and let it dry as such. When I let it down, my waves are better behaved. With a tiny bit of finger combing, it looks very nice.

Riot Crrl
April 2nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
I can get that too and get kind of a longish pageboy type of look, IF the planets align exactly right. In practice, I am so bad with updo "tools" that I usually end up with some kind of super funky looking crease or something. If I could get it to stay up securely with just a stick or something, I could probably maximize that capability.

zift
April 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hello Riot Crrl:waving:
I can't imagine life without gobs of conditioner too:D
I hope you like LHC.Welcome:flowers:

justgreen
April 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Hi and welcome to the boards, lucky you with curly hair!

Riot Crrl
April 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Justgreen, I'm very happy with my hennaness now but if my blonde hair had looked anything like your sig I would still have it!

Blueglass
April 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
When measureing in the future always use cloth measureing tape.

Riot Crrl
April 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah good call! I guess I will have to buy one. :)

Shypii90
April 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
hey RiotCrrl

I have curly hair too but I think it's a bit curlier than yours.
Being a boy I never had long hair in my life, but "there's always a first time!"

It's nearly 5 inches long so I'm passing through this 'awkward stage' where hair is poofy and sticks out everywhere basically. Since it's so curly it does look like an afro on normal days :P

I love conditioner! I use Herbal Essences; it smells great :D

I think it's cool that you want to improve the health of your hair, and aren't necessarily looking to grow it. As long as the interest in your hair is there! :)

Welcome. (So am I new, haha)

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Hi Shypii, welcome to you too!

My advice is add more conditioner! You can't have enough, it's like cowbell! :)

(Actually I do overmoisturize my hair quite grossly at times. Then I use a vinegar rinse which fixes it immediately. Vinegar rinse is a miracle product.)

Malta! I have never been there but I have seen pictures, it looks like such a beautiful place!

Shypii90
April 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
lol.

It's nice, for tourists.
Don't live here. Seriously.

I never tried a vinegar rinse! Maybe I'll try one next week if I feel a bit luxurious on my 18th birthday :confused:

Yeah sometimes you can condition a bit too much..
..that and your conditioner will run out!
Not such a good thing for the bank account! :p

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Part of the miracle of vinegar rinse is that it is the cheapest thing ever. We always have a gallon or so of the cheap white vinegar lying around for other purposes. A small splash of it in a pint of water, it's like they practically pay me to put it in my hair! :P