PDA

View Full Version : How thick would you like your hair?

Michiru
April 2nd, 2008, 02:09 AM
I remember when we had the 'what is your ideal hair type' poll most people said iii for thickness. Just how thick would you want your hair?

I know I wouldn't mind a 6 or 7 inch.

Jeni
April 2nd, 2008, 02:36 AM
I voted 4". My pony tail is only 2.5, so 4" seems really big to me! I would love thick hair, but not too thick, I'd think it would start to get heavy after a while. I once had to try and put a girls hair into a bun (we were in BIO lab and her hands were already....preoccupied), her hair was so thick her bun covered the back of her head......it was just past shoulder length(yea it was not fun to do, broke a few hair bands). I would love to know what her measurement was.....She said she couldn't grow her hair longer then about APL-BSL because it started to strain her neck and cause headaches. Made me feel better about my anemic pony tail, at least for awhile.

Jeni

Guenever
April 2nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
I find really thick hair very beautiful.. especially when in big updos! (uuh.. I get soooo envious :wink:) So I voted 5".. that would mean a 2" circ. increase for me^^

ETA: wow.. just imagine a 10" ponytail... does that even exist? :lol:

AJoifulNoise
April 2nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
I said 6", which is a bit more than I have right now, but not totally unrealistic. I think if it were any thicker than that, I wouldn't know what to do with it!

magda
April 2nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
As thick as possible :)

Alaia
April 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
I'm going for 5".

Don't want it too thick to do nice updos now, do we? I don't want it particularly thick, just ... not like it is now.

Guenever
April 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
I said 6", which is a bit more than I have right now, but not totally unrealistic. I think if it were any thicker than that, I wouldn't know what to do with it!

If you're close to 6" (and wow.. that's some thick hair!) How come you've set yourself as an ii/iii?

BlndeInDisguise
April 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Probably 4 or 5. I'm afraid that if I had any more than 4 I'd end up with headaches, though. :(

Rosepatrice
April 2nd, 2008, 08:45 AM
I voted 4, but I've changed my mind....I say, the more the better!!

Iylivarae
April 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I've about 3.5'' now, so I'd go for a 5'' or 6''.

foxym
April 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
I said 2-3" I know this sounds crazy to some people but my hair is stupidly thick and I cannot do a thing with it, it won't go up in nice buns or anything because of this and poofs out like a bush:mad:, I have always envied people with lovely straight thin hair that looks lovely when put up or left down!

khyricat
April 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
I voted 4", but I am only at 2, anything more would be too much I think, but to be honest, I'd be happy if I was still a 2 and didn't taper... though a bit more would be nice..

jel
April 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
I voted for 4", as I'm close - 3.75" - and would love to be able to put ii/iii in my profile! :p

Honestly, I would be wary of the weight of much thicker hair, especially at my goal length of tailbone.

AJoifulNoise
April 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
If you're close to 6" (and wow.. that's some thick hair!) How come you've set yourself as an ii/iii?

I am around 5", though I get something different everytime I measure. I just feel like a cheat putting iii because my hair thins out as it gets to the ends. :(

peachy.pudding
April 2nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
As thick as my arm

karenpetal
April 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
I am about 4 - variations whenever i measure though - I voted for 6
I like thick long hair - updos look awesome + I love the look of a thick braid

squiggyflop
April 2nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
i voted 5 inches because i wouldnt want my hair to be too heavy...

eadwine
April 2nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
I know what HELL it can be to have thick hair, so I am staying nicely the same. Currently 2 5/8" I think, I can opt for 3, but no more!

For those who vote 10+.. grab a measuring ribbon, measure off 10", put it in a circle.

That will be your pony tail. Bit much ey? ;)

Anje
April 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I said 5". Since I'm sitting around 2.5" now, it would be a major increase in volume, but I think I could still do many of the styles I know now, at this length. Probably not in "cut your hair off because it's too heavy to hold your head up" territory, either.

lilalong
April 2nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
as thick as possible
]

harley mama
April 2nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
I loved my pre-chemo hair. It was just over 4" in thickness.
I hope to fill in again once I am done with all the meds.

spidermom
April 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
I picked 4, which is about what I have. It's perfect.

Snowblood
April 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
I also picked 4! Damn..9-10 inches option?? That must look like an unreal hair monster, no room for face. :D

Carolyn
April 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
I'd love to have 5". I'm barely getting 3 1/2" so that sounds really good to me. That would make a killer braid! :D

vindo
April 2nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
As thick as my arm

As thick as my thighs! Ha! Beat you to it! :p

Ok just kidding..I honestly wouldnt know. I would want it to be a little thicker than now but how much I would only know if I wear it..:confused:
I have a friend with 4" thickness and very little taper which looks perfect to me.

I would be completely satisfied with less taper though :)

zift
April 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
I didn't like this poll. Has weird options like 7" 9"10"?? How can anybody have that circumference other than dreadlocks or curlies? And what is it going to show ,that everybody wants thick hair? Like we don't know that allready somebody needs to poke it in our eyes again.
Sorry I wouldn't want any hair other than mine.

Just_Isabel
April 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM

Good for you. ;)
I like everything about my hair, except the thickness - that's the only thing I'd love to change.

I voted 4, but I'd be happy with 3 too. I know I'll never have a 4 inch ponytail, but I had 2.7, so almost 3, before my hair started shedding like crazy. I'd be happy with what I had before.

Now, 10 inches - that's just crazy. I can't imagine the neck pain from long hair that thick, oy! - Is it even possible?

PatGear
April 2nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
I voted 4", anything larger than that is unimaginable to me! I mean I've seen pictures here but don't think I'll be able to handle it frankly.

I would be totally thrilled to have 3" of course. Mine is 2.375".

Alaskanheart
April 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I put 5, I love the way long thick wavy hair looks on women.I dont know how thick mine is in inches, Im not sure how to go about measureing. I do know that it is in the i/ii range though.

Nynaeve
April 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
I voted other because I wish my hair was about 4.5 again.
4.5 hair thickness means a happier, healthier time in my life, so I want that back. :D

girlcat36
April 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
I voted for 4". My ponytail is at 2.5, so 4" would be perfect. I am on the thin side(my body size) so I think anything bigger would be overwhelming.

Michiru
April 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
I didn't like this poll. Has weird options like 7" 9"10"?? How can anybody have that circumference other than dreadlocks or curlies? And what is it going to show ,that everybody wants thick hair? Like we don't know that allready somebody needs to poke it in our eyes again.

I made this survey because when the majority of people said they wanted iii thickness that really only covers 4 inches and beyond and that could mean anything. There really are people with very thick hair. I know that mine's 3 inches and seems very tiny next to some photos of women who can wrap their hair around their necks like a scarf.

Here are some pictures I have on hand from different web sites:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/ru10_image001.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/g3-12.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_111-9.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_091.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_021-6.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_019-2.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_071.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_061.jpg

I really didn't have a serious motive, just fantasizing about having thick hair. :)

girlcat36
April 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Wow, amazing thick hair pics! While all that hair is gorgeous, I would still be happy with a mere 4". Faster drying, easier upodos, less products.....

zift
April 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
I made this survey because when the majority of people said they wanted iii thickness that really only covers 4 inches and beyond and that could mean anything. There really are people with very thick hair. I know that mine's 3 inches and seems very tiny next to some photos of women who can wrap their hair around their necks like a scarf.

Here are some pictures I have on hand from different web sites:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/ru10_image001.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/g3-12.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_111-9.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_091.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_021-6.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_019-2.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_071.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/V_Anderson/db_061.jpg

I really didn't have a serious motive, just fantasizing about having thick hair. :)

Uuum sure there are thick hairs but non of the ladies in the pics have 7" or 8" thickness(not even 6") I mean while people do have beautiful below 2" thickness hair ,it's not amongst the options so I get the idea who would fantasize about thin hair. While there are unrealistic options like 7" 8" 10!
I wouldn't want to be a horrible person to destroy the fun actually,sorry for that. But there is a poll you know and people might get offended from the results I don't know,am I exaggurating this?

sapphire-o
April 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
I would like 4.5", my old ponytail size. It's probably not ever going to happen, but this is fantasy, right? :) At least I don't break many hairtoys now.

kwaniesiam
April 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I voted 5". Before the dreads I had a miserable 1.5"(nothing wrong with thin hair, it can be beautiful, I just didn't like having to deal with it and mine was from hair loss, so not only was it thin in LOOKED thin too), now with them it's around a 4" if not tightly compacted. I hope that goes up even more as they lock up and more shed hairs get caught in the tangles :) Those pictures are gorgeous!

zift, I don't think this was meant to offend anyone. It's along the lines of the polls "What is your dream length/hair etc." and such :flowers:

Naluin
April 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
I voted for 6" because I think my actual measurement is between 5 and 6 inches. That's a guess based on measuring two smaller ponytails I can make out of hair. My hair isn't long enough to fit into one ponytail.

Anyway, I like my current thickness, so if it's about 6 inches, then 6 is my ideal.

Feisty Redhead
April 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
I voted for 6 inches, which is not much more than my current 5.25 inches. I probably wouldn't mind 7 inches either but I have issues enough with my current thickness so 6 would suffice. :D

TheSpottedCow
April 2nd, 2008, 10:39 PM
I put down ten.
Which is admittedly, too much hair. But, I would like to be able to wear it in micro braids and twists without having to add extra extension hair to have the right look.
Other that that it wouldn't be very useful, haha. I do think it would look cool though.

But I'm sure it would be pretty heavy and hard to wear up.

zelah
April 2nd, 2008, 11:50 PM
I put 5". Mine is currently about 2" and I have a hard time getting it to stay up unless I do a ponytail first. I'd like for once just to be able to put in a nice barrette with only some of my hair in it. If I don't put all of my hair in, it falls out. So 5" seems like a great ideal to me! :pray:

socks
April 2nd, 2008, 11:54 PM
I put 5" because while I would like thicker hair, my ponytail is already slightly over 4" and it causes the occasional headache when in a bun. I think 5" is the most I could handle. :(

Rebelkat
April 3rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
I voted 5". My hair is about 3.5" in circumference, so it's fine, but I do wish it was just a little bit thicker. 'Specially towards the ends.

Riot Crrl
April 3rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
I have 3.5" now. (I just measured yesterday when I joined, to put it in my stats.) I think I used to have 4.5 or 5, so I wouldn't mind going back there. But not much more.

Angellen
April 3rd, 2008, 01:02 AM
I picked 5". I had my 4"+ hair up in a mini-beehive (inspired by Breakfast at Tiffany's) and it was so heavy! My cinnabuns are around 4" in diameter, and I'm afraid that too much thickness will be a strain. However, I'd like to be well into the iii range, and I think 5" would be perfect for me. I wouldn't want more than 5.5" though.

MerryKat
April 3rd, 2008, 01:25 AM
I voted 5 - mine is currently 3 3/4 so that extra 1 1/4 would make better looking braids without being too much to handle.

Arniky
April 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
dont know how manty inhes but real thick would be nice.

tuuli
April 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I want my ponytail circumfence I once had. 5.3in. Now it's 3,9in.

zift
April 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
zift, I don't think this was meant to offend anyone. It's along the lines of the polls "What is your dream length/hair etc." and such :flowers:

You're right probably,if nobody is getting offended, I'd just shut up.Wouldn't want to act like a troll and destroy the fun. I just overreact sometimes,and when I couldn't see the 1" option and lots of other ones I felt bad ,even if it wasn't meant to offend anyone it gave me the idea that we're not supposed to dream of thin hair,because we can't pick it. :shrug:
Anyway :flowers:

tiny_teesha
April 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
As thick as my whole head would be awesome! ;)
But seriously....the thickest would be great... like say about 15 cm or so? I think i'm 3"...so i want about 7" ? I'm not too good at math.

HeartfulofHope
April 4th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Since having a recent hair/scalp castastrophe, just having my normal 3" back would be really good. I voted 5 though... think it'd be great to have it that thick!!!:)

vindo
April 4th, 2008, 09:46 AM
As thick as my whole head would be awesome! ;)
But seriously....the thickest would be great... like say about 15 cm or so? I think i'm 3"...so i want about 7" ? I'm not too good at math.

My cousin has 12 cm/ 4.7", I think thats perfectly fine..not sure about more when I think of grabbing and styling her hair. You would be surprised how much difference 1 cm can make ;)

16cm = 5.9"

I honestly found the thicknesses here unrealistic as well but didnt take it too serious.

Blueglass
April 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thick is good but too thick, hair takes forever to dry. Too thick, you may have too much volume. 3 or 4, at most.

Ohio Sky
April 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Ar you guys serious? I know thick hair is beautiful, but anything thicker than like 5" would just be absurd, and even that, I think, would be ridiculous depending on the length. I had a friend once who probably had around 41/2-5" of hair, and she could never grow past BSL because it gave her headaches.
No thanks, Id be happy with 4.

Jason
April 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I'm on the lower end of the ii scale and have always been envious of very thick hair so I put 6 inches. I can only imagine how awesome that would look braided!

Wanderer09
April 4th, 2008, 06:57 PM
My thickness is 4.5" and I'm happy with it, but sometimes when it gets poofy and looks like it's about to eat my head I find myself wishing I had thinner hair. 3", maybe?

moon-flower
April 6th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I voted 5 inches! For me, that would be plenty thick, for my knee length+ hair.
My hair is fairly thin, at 2.5-2.8 inches in diameter. And I always wanted thicker hair. Then I could do really big buns, without it looking limp or hollow. Also, I wouldn't feel weird with it down and being constantly reminded to cut my hair cause it's thin at the ends.
I feel bad when I girl with thick shoulder lenght hair can have a bun as big as mine.
But my hair is thin and fine, but I'll make the best I can out of it.

willowcandra
April 7th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I would just like my hair as thick as my nape all the way down.

Vela
April 7th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I just qualify as iii, so maybe 5"-6", it'd be nice, but I'm fairly happy with how it is now. :)

jojo
April 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM
ive just realized im officially a thick head! i voted for 5" im just over 4" at present, but i can always do with a bit more thickness, just gotta love a braid in thick hair

Nevermore
April 8th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I haven't voted yet, but I'd love 5 or 6 inches. I enjoy my hair how it is now, but thick braids make me very happy and my braids aren't quite as thick as the ones I envy most.

Lizbot
April 8th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Once upon a time I was at about 6". Then I shaved my head, and my hair texture changed a bit. I wouldn't mind going up an inch or so again...

artemisjade
April 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I put 6". Then I cut some string and saw how big that was...I still want 6". I want big, fat, juicy braids. Ah well.

Ms Monnie
April 8th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I would just like my hair as thick as my nape all the way down.

I agree. Although, maybe 4 inches would be nice to try... :shrug:. I think what's missing on this poll is half and quarter measures, an inch in circumference is a huge leap.

Sarahmoon
April 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I voted 3. I have 2.something myself. Thick hair looks nice but I'm affraid it would be very havy and difficult to do updos.

Elizabeth
April 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I voted for 5". My hair is pretty fine, so I doubt I would ever see 5" even if I used every treatment possible! :)

honeybunch
April 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I voted 8. :D

rhubarbarin
April 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I have barely 3", I would like 5". Anything more than that, I don't know how I would handle it.

rubyann
April 11th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I'd like lovely think hair, but not so thick it becomes difficult, so 4 inches it is.

AlleyKitten
April 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I'm right at 4" now (well, a couple months ago when I measured last) and I'd like it a bit thicker, but not a huge amount, because I think it would get unmanageable. So I voted 6", but I was on the fence between 5 and 6.

I'd also like less taper, while we're at it -- if my braid were just at thick at the end as at my nape, I'd be pretty happy!

Druid of Alba
April 13th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I have about a 4" now, and I said 5". Any more would be too much hastle. Imagine trying to dry it!

michelle99
April 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
My hair is already pretty thick. I voted other because I am looking for LENGTH.

HollowHannah
April 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Mine's 4inches right now but if i could I'd have it really thick. Not ridiculously so but just so there's plenty of it to mess around with. I'd say 8 or 9inches.

tennies
April 17th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I would love anything thicker than my scrawny mayby one inch thick ponytail.

Saranne772
June 2nd, 2008, 04:18 AM
7.5 Inches!

Periwinkle
June 2nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
My hair is 6.5" and I voted 4". I hate it being so thick.

Phalaenopsis
June 5th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Just my old thickness back (about 4.25/30 I think) and I'll be fine :)
My hair thickness was just perfect. Maybe not for all hair toys, but hey, you can't have everything ;)

Stagecoach
June 5th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I voted 5" To me that seems ideal.. not to thick and not to thin.

Tarí Felagund
June 5th, 2008, 06:43 AM
As thick as possible :)

oh that would be great:inlove:!!

darl_in1
June 5th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I voted 4". My hair is actually over 5.5". I'd have less......it's funny that so many people said they'd have extreme thickness...I don't think people would like it in reality though!

There are lots of things you *can't* do with very thick hair and lots of toys you can't use. The thickness of my hair is a big part of the reason that I decided to cut it. 44" of very thick hair can be like living in a hair swamp!!

Forever_Sophie
June 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
4" sounds good to me :)

holycannoli
June 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
I voted for 4" though I haven't been able to successfully measure my own ponytail yet...

But I have seen a photo of Dianyla's ponytail that is 4.65 inches and I must say, that looks about perfect! When she wears two dutch braids, they're about the same thickness as my single braid...can you say jealous? :bowtome:

Laululintu
June 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
I voted for 5 inches. Much thicker than that, and I'd be really scared of injuring someone if I thwacked them with my braid by mistake.

Duchess of Erat
June 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
I voted 4 inches, it's 8-9 cm now (between 3 1/8 and 3 1/2 inches) and I'd like a few cm more (like between 4 and 4 1/2 inches).

JessTheMess
June 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'd say somewhere between 4 and 5 inches :)

Robbi Dehlinger
June 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
My hair is prably about a 4 or 5 right now, so 6 to 8 would be wonderful! A bit warm in the summer, I suppose, but wonderful:)

flapjack
June 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
I have 4 inches around at the moment and I wouldn't want more than an inch more hair. After 5 inches, the weight would probably be very uncomfortable as I'm not the biggest person around, I have always had a thin, weak neck. So nah, I don't want super thick hair, honestly.

burns_erin
June 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
My hair is prably about a 4 or 5 right now, so 6 to 8 would be wonderful! A bit warm in the summer, I suppose, but wonderful:)

That's me too, so i picked 7. My hair used to be thicker than it is now and even when it was short it would hold a frenchbraid much better than it does now.

zanne
June 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm at 3.25 to 3.5 now, and I would love a good solid 5.

Starr
June 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I voted for 5", my hair is about 4.5 now.

MusingFrog
June 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
4" here. I wander between 3" and 3.25" right now and a tad thicker would be nice. To be honest, my perfect thickness would probably be 3.5" with no taper.

cherryblossom
June 24th, 2008, 11:27 AM
my thickness is just under 5" and is layered from chin length down! And this is really heavy when i put it up into a high(ish) ponytail (nose height?), so mush so that it pulls the skin on my forehead and scalp back so i really would not want any thicker than 5" though i guess 6 would be the top for me.

chrissy-b
June 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
My hair is just over 2 inches right now and I'd be happy with 4 inches. Hopefully, once all the layers, bangs, and thin spots even up, I'll be almost there (almost).

Morag
June 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I voted for 5, but if I can get to 4, I'll be in heaven.

Right now I'm at 2.5" right on top of my head (where I can get most of the layers together) and about somewhat thinner at the nape. When I CO and my hair is straight and slippy, it's closer to 2".

starfire
June 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I voted 6" - then I could cut in heavy bangs and lots of layers, while still having lots of hair (like in animes!).

Millielie
June 26th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I'd go for 5".

I used to have 4" but now I've only 2.8" due to layers and hair loss. :(
I hope the shed hairs regrow and all the layers will fit into the ponytail soon.

Eolan
June 26th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I have about 4" now and I'm happy with that. My hair is really straight and smooth so I think it would bequite hard to do updos with it if it got thicker than this.

gthlvrmx
March 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Im a 2.5 right now, id rather have like 8-10 or something like that. They make pretty buns on top of the head.

Avital88
March 19th, 2012, 02:35 PM
my hair is getting thicker all the time,the last time i measured it was over 6 inches, the thickness just has to grow down, its mostly between shoulder and apl,i gained a lot of new hair since joing lhc,i voted for 10 because i like crazy thick wild hair:)

Amber_Maiden
March 19th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm past 6in right now, in turns of thickness. I'd rather it be at 5.

eicamawa
March 19th, 2012, 03:12 PM
maybe 6, depending on where on my head the extra hair goes. Preferably on the sides of my head, an not around the crown :)

zombi
March 19th, 2012, 03:23 PM
My ponytail when measured at its thickest point comes in a little under 2 inches. I voted for 5.

Henrietta
March 19th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I am at 4 inches, I could want it to be 5 but certainly not more as I am afraid it would be too heavy soon ;)

Shepherdess
March 19th, 2012, 03:32 PM
My hair is about 7 inches thick right now (including my bangs), but i would love to have it 10 + :)

pink.sara
March 19th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I voted 10, but only for a day! Just to see what it's like.

Mainly because although I have tons of hair it's so poker straight it doesn't look like it's superthick, it's only when people touch it or see it up they realise there's lots :shrug:

I'm at 5.5 inches right now and have only just managed a cinnabun with 5 spin pins at 25 inches long!! And it's so heavy already I have to take it down and redo it several times a day... and as for how long it takes to dry :rolleyes: I think realistically 5.5 is enough :)

Capybara
March 19th, 2012, 03:46 PM
3 inches in circumference would be my preference I think :)

MissManda
March 19th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm about 4.25" at the nape and my hair does not taper that much. Adjusting to having little taper from thinned-out layers was a huge shock for me. At almost 28" long, I can barely get a cinnabun, LWB, and a pencil bun (among a few other styles) to work properly. I probably won't be able to get full-on nautilus to work until tailbone length or more. I get 4.5" circumference on top of my head, which would be pretty cool if that thickness grew down to my nape, but I don't think I could handle anything thicker than that. Anything much above 5" would mean my ponytail would be bigger than my wrist! I'm already small-boned and petite enough as it is, plus getting my hair shampooed properly is a royal pain.

I really like the way mega-thick hair looks, but I'll just have to say no thanks. My current thickness is more than I ever could have asked for when I started growing my hair out in 2008, so I am content. :)

battles
March 19th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I would love to have a 5" ponytail. :D Mine went from a 3.75" back to a 3" somehow. Drat.

StPaulaGirl
March 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I'd be happy with 5 inches.

pepperminttea
March 19th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I voted 5", but I think 4.5" would be my ideal. :) Always just a little bit more...

lapushka
March 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I voted 4". It is 4.25 inches, actually, so I like my volume and thickness. :)

Orangerthanred
March 19th, 2012, 05:26 PM
2 inches. I have thick, poofy hair so some nice, controlled, flat thin hair would be a dream. :D

Diamond.Eyes
March 19th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I voted for 5. Right now my hair is about 6" thick, and it is so heavy. My arms get tired just from wrapping it into a cinnabun. I do like how the thickness makes my braids look though. 5"-6" is just fine with me. But, I would love it if my hair wasn't so heavy.

Vanilla
March 19th, 2012, 09:14 PM
My hair is solidly 3.5 inch ponytail. I'd like just a little more thickness to 4" to give my hair a little more volume at the crown.

sfgirl
March 19th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I'm solidly at 3", not including my layers or bangs. I would love five inches.

Alva
March 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Mine is somewhere between 2.75 and 3. Guess I would like 4 inches.

ingvild
March 23rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
Wow, I can't even imagine having 6 or even 5 inches thick hair. I voted 4". My hair is about 3.6"-3.8" now depending on when/how I measure it. Since I'm not growing my hair out so long, I wouldn't be able to do a whole lot of hairstyles with too much thickness. I'd like a solid 4" though.

However, if I could have less taper at my current thickness, I'd definitely take that before more thickness at the nape!

TiffanieJean
March 23rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
I said 6''. My hair measures a little under 3'', so to double that would be ideal. My hair is fine so having it very thick would be PERRRFECT lol

I had i hair after I had my son. I lost around half of what I had. Just to get back to where I am now, I am happy.

nobeltonya
March 23rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm somewhere b/w 3.5-4" at the top, which I like. I wouldn't want it any thicker than that.. but the bottom is only like 2.5", so I would like the same thickness throughout the entire length. I've been micro-trimming my ends every few weeks for a little while now, and it's thickening slowly as the various lengths are catching up... *sighs*

TheMechaGinger
March 23rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
I voted for 8, that's a little over twice my thickness now. I doubt that'll ever happen but hey a girl can dream right?

Zesty
March 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I'm right at 4" now, and I'm pretty content with it so I voted for that. :) I like that my hair is thick enough to be thick (and have a pretty sizeable bun), but not so thick that it gets annoying or that I have to wait an excessive amount of time to do updos. If I had to pick my ideal, I'd probably go for 4.5, maybe 5 at the most.

Sunshineliz
March 24th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I'm at 2.5 so I'd definitely like it thicker. Not too thick though--I tried to do my niece's super-thick hair the other day and it was a pain!

I voted 4 inches, but really I think I'd prefer 3.5" or so.

auburntressed
March 24th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I would like 7" though I doubt it is plausible for my hair to gain 2 inches of thickness at the nape. I feel like it could be possible to gain one extra inch, because my pigtails equal an inch thicker when added together than my pony does alone. But I have a pronounced taper, and I don't think all those extra flyaways will ever reach my nape.

I notice that 10 or more is a pole option. I would like to SEE 10 hair, definitely. I wonder if there is anyone out there like that?

Apriori
March 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM
4''. I think that would be thick enough to look full, but not so thick that it would become troublesome.

BrightEyes
March 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I voted for 4". That would be almost double the thickness I have now.

Bedhead
March 25th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I voted for 5", but really 4.5 would be perfect. I'm at 3.25" right now, but that was after loosing a lot of hair, so I think with all these baby hairs, I might increase my thickness to at least 4". We'll see. For me it's not about aesthetics, but more about my health, so if that happens I'll be ecstatic!

hototogisu
March 26th, 2012, 02:21 AM
What's average in terms of thickness? I just measured my ponytail and it's a sad, sad 7cm, or 2.7" I'd like to double that, so I put down 4" (or I guess 5 would be double my thickness?)

Not sure that will ever happen though :(

AcornMystic
March 26th, 2012, 03:45 AM
I voted "other" because quite frankly, I like my thickness. When I first joined I was less than 2 inches because I was growing out an orchid bob. I could only get the crown hairs into a ponytail to measure the circumference. Now that the back hairs and the majority of nape hairs reach my pony (just need the bangs, some side hair, and a bit of the crown) it is 2.5 inches. I imagine it will only get thicker. With my individual hair strands being so thin and that I don't have a whole lot of hair on my head (perhaps the auburn gene in me gave it to me?:p) I don't imagine it will be too great of a difference, but I like the look of hair that just kinda lays against you and teases those around you with a hint of what is underneath and as a backdrop for your hair being displayed on. You know? I know what I mean and I just find it pleasing. Plus, it's going to be so much easier to run my fingers through my hair whenever the desire strikes me on a whim. I also want to grow my hair down to my knees+. As impressive as extremely thick hair that length would look, the migraines would overwhelm me, as I have a history of that in my family, crippling migraines. I'm happy with my hair, but I will admit, I wouldn't mind trying it super thick with some more length for a day, like one other person commented. Maybe go the whole 10 inches. Just to try it out as I am a very curious person. :D

Mesmerise
March 26th, 2012, 04:27 AM
I picked 4". I do sort of go :bigeyes: at super thick hair... but from some of the comments I've read from thick haired LHC'ers I also think if it's too thick it can be a hassle. For example... time detangling. I don't NEED to detangle my hair (seriously). If I hit a knot after showering, I'm actually surprised by it lol. If I wear my hair loose all day it'll get a bit knotty, but nothing a few goes through with a brush can't handle. My daughter has thick but very fine hair and her hair knots like CRAZY... it's barely shoulder length with an undercut and it gets tangles that take minutes to work out!!

Also, the weight... I've read that it can be really heavy having long thick hair, and can actually hurt your head/neck wearing it up. I can imagine this, because when I henna I get a big neck ache just from the added weight of the henna piled up on my head (plus towel).

It's funny, because I think when I first came to LHC I'd have said I'd like 6" hair :D but now I'm starting to see the advantages of thinner hair. Don't get me wrong, I'd still like it thicker than it IS (not quite 3" but it's hard to tell potential due to lots of shedding).

Also bear in mind folks, that 4" is NOT twice 2"... it's actually a lot more, because it's circumference being measured not diameter!! I worked it out somewhere (in another thread long ago and can't be bothered doing it again lol) but 4" of hair is probably about twice the volume of 3" of hair!!

Sunshineliz
March 26th, 2012, 08:52 AM
What's average in terms of thickness? I just measured my ponytail and it's a sad, sad 7cm, or 2.7" I'd like to double that, so I put down 4" (or I guess 5 would be double my thickness?)

Also bear in mind folks, that 4" is NOT twice 2"... it's actually a lot more, because it's circumference being measured not diameter!! I worked it out somewhere (in another thread long ago and can't be bothered doing it again lol) but 4" of hair is probably about twice the volume of 3" of hair!!

Exactly mesmerise. hototogisu your hair would be at twice it's thickness somewhere around 3.5" At 5" it'd be around 4x the thickness you have!

And that's why I said I'd want around 3.5--it's about twice my thickness, I always seem to admire the thicker ii hair the most, and it doesn't seem too heavy or hard to work with.

Shepherdess
March 26th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I would like 7" though I doubt it is plausible for my hair to gain 2 inches of thickness at the nape. I feel like it could be possible to gain one extra inch, because my pigtails equal an inch thicker when added together than my pony does alone. But I have a pronounced taper, and I don't think all those extra flyaways will ever reach my nape.

I notice that 10 or more is a pole option. I would like to SEE 10 hair, definitely. I wonder if there is anyone out there like that?

I would like to grow my hair thicker too. Oh I really want to see someone with 10 or more thickness! I think that would be so neat! I wonder how I could grow my hair thicker, or if my hair is already thick as it can get.

molly_grue
March 26th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I voted 4" because that's what I am and I'm happy with it.

PrairieRose
March 26th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I voted for 4. I am at 2 now, so twice as thick would be nice!

2peasinapod
March 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I'm going to go against the LHC grain and say a number thinner than my actual thickness. I am at 4.5 - 5 (I had layers when I measured), and it comes with it's own problems. I like the fullness, but not the thick and heavy part, so I voted 4. 3 to 4 seems to be a good compromise.

MissManda
March 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM

I read somewhere around here (or it might have been the German hair boards since I lurk there, too) that 7 cm is actually supposed to be the average ponytail size for Europe. There are supposed to have been studies about it, but I haven't actually seen them.... I'd really like to see these studies and would appreciate it if someone could point me in that direction. From my observations in real life, I think I agree with it.

And yes, when talking about ponytail size and doubling thickness, you need to find the area in order to double it or add two different ponytails together (ie: estimating thickness including bangs/fringe/etc.). It works out to something like this (please correct me if I am wrong):

2" circumference is approximately twice as much hair as 1.5"
3" circumference is approximately twice as much hair as 2" and four times as much hair as 1.5"
4" circumference is approximately twice as much hair as 3" and four times as much hair as 2"
6" circumference is approximately twice as much hair as 4" and four times as much hair as 3"
8" circumference is approximately twice as much hair as 6" and four times as much hair as 4"

I have a hard time imagining what 8"+ hair circumference would be like. :bigeyes:

PixxieStix
March 26th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I would want a nice happy medium of 4.5 inches (so I voted other!). I'm at 3.8 inches, measured after washing and air drying with almost all of my hair in my pony. I feel like I'll never get full thickness back on the crown of my head and I must have hair anorexia, other people tell me it's thick but I always think it's so thin! :(

Jing
March 27th, 2012, 01:53 AM
4.5-5 inches is about the thickness of ponytail that makes me go "amagads I wish my ponytail was that thick" when I see it, so I voted 5". :p I currently have exactly 3", and man does it feel thin.

auburntressed
March 27th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I would like to grow my hair thicker too. Oh I really want to see someone with 10 or more thickness! I think that would be so neat! I wonder how I could grow my hair thicker, or if my hair is already thick as it can get.I think that really depends on whether most of your hair reaches your nape or whether you've had any massive sheds recently. There is a pre-set number of hair follicles already on your head. Whether or not you can get thicker would depend on if all of those follicles are being used at optimal performance right now - or whether they are stalled.

Venefica
March 27th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I have 4 inches but I would not mind 7. I am happy with the thickness I got, but I am thinking that if I had 7 I could have even bigger buns and then I might reach knee without the ends of my hair getting to thin. I am a little past classic now and the ends are still good, but I would really like to get to knee with thick hair all the way down.

Aeltt
March 27th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'm somewhere between 4 and 5 inches and i like it so 4 :)

Firefly
March 27th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I know I'm in the minority but I'm not a fan of really thick hair. I like hair in the 3-4" range of thickness. I wouldn't mind a tad more for myself though-- I'm currently 2.5"!

jeanniet
March 27th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I voted 4". My hair's in the 4.5" range (or at least it is when it's nicely smoothed down) and that is plenty thick for me. I still can't do a lot of buns yet, and I'm at hip. Maybe it's thicker than I think; I'm not that good at measuring circumference. Anyway, thicker isn't better in my book, especially when it's longer. Too hard to manage.

Lady Neeva
March 27th, 2012, 05:35 PM
4 in, because that's my circumference now. The weight will break my neck if it was that thick.

morrigan*
March 28th, 2012, 02:24 AM
I voted 4'', it's around 3.5'' now and i would like just a bit thicker :D

Hiriel
March 28th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I voted 4. My hair used to be slightly above 4, now it's very slightly below. I preferred it slightly above, but it's still thick at slightly below. Significantly thicker, and it'd just be a bit too much hair to handle easily. At 4" circumference and TBL, I already have reasonably massive buns, and pretty decent braids.

melusine963
April 21st, 2012, 02:23 PM
I'm just under 3", but I would like to be 6". My braids always look pathetically skinny, especially the lower down they get.

leslissocool
April 21st, 2012, 02:27 PM
I just went from a 5 1/2 ponytail circumference to a 4 1/2 because of chicken pox :( I hope it goes back!

I love thick hair. My hair is heavier than my BFF's who's about 6- 7 inches. It has more to do with how coarse it is. My hair is SUPER coarse, you can floss with one strand and it won't break :p!

Nedertane
April 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM
Since some people on here with iii thickness have said it's too much for them, I'd rather go with just 4" or maybe even just 3.5" thickness. It's only about a 1" (or .5") difference from mine, so who knows, maybe LHC will help me get there! Although I do feel like since my hair is fine, that won't stop people from saying it's "thin". :rolleyes: Ah well.

Othala
April 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm 4.1 inches now and if I had a choice I would go for 10 inches....I'll take all I can get, LOL.

Kwantslonghair
April 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM
I said 4". I am about 2.75. I hope it gets thicker. I do see new hair growth. Yay

Lucky_Lucy
May 24th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I am about 5" without bangs(I kind of regret cutting them :( ), and I used to be 5.5" so I voted 6", because I really wish my hair were just a little thicker :D

meteor
May 24th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I said 2-3" I know this sounds crazy to some people but my hair is stupidly thick and I cannot do a thing with it, it won't go up in nice buns or anything because of this and poofs out like a bush:mad:, I have always envied people with lovely straight thin hair that looks lovely when put up or left down!
Well said. I love my 5'' hair and I wish I went back to having even more thickness as a kid, but updos hardly hold and if I put my hair down with no product, I can't see in front of me (hair always just frames the nose and looks like a bush unless tamed with product or hair-ties) :eek: Thinner hair looks great in sleek updos.

Ticky
May 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I am perfectly happy with the thickness I have now, which is 4 inches.

LadyTheta
May 24th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Ditto. I am pleased with 4 inches.

ladylowtide
May 24th, 2012, 03:18 PM
My hair is 3.5" right now, so I would love to have hair that was 4 inches IRL, but my fantasy thickness would be around 5" I think.

Freyariane
May 25th, 2012, 02:15 AM
I voted 5 inches and y pony tail is 3.1" ^^

Freyariane
May 25th, 2012, 02:20 AM
For those who vote 10+.. grab a measuring ribbon, measure off 10", put it in a circle.

That will be your pony tail. Bit much ey? ;)

Haha taht's soooo true!

Kittykins
May 25th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I'm currently at 3.5". I won't mind being 4" which considering the fact I'm growing out layers and side bangs, could happen.

Tisiloves
May 25th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I voted 5", which is what my circumference probably was when I was younger, but I wouldn't want my hair that thick until it was a bit longer (mushroom head).

longhairedlady
May 25th, 2012, 03:05 AM
I voted 8, but only for a day or two!

lastnite
May 25th, 2012, 04:32 AM
when I was kid and in my early teens my hair was twice as thick as it is now (really, I have pic of me in pigtails for halloween and just one of those pigtails is now almost equal to my just 1 ponytail today) , and it was really curly... so naturally I hated it back then, I had no idea how to manage it. Now I know how to care for my hair I wish I had that thickness and curls back... so I'd be happy just having the thickness back I used to have, I'm guessing it was a 5-6 back then.

Cirafly24
May 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I voted 4". I think I'm at 3" now, so that would be 33% more hair!

Sunshineliz
May 25th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Actually Cirafly24, if my math is right, it'd give you about 78% more hair.:flower: (Area isn't the same as circumference)

Cirafly24
May 25th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Actually Cirafly24, if my math is right, it'd give you about 78% more hair.:flower: (Area isn't the same as circumference)

Foiled by math again! :demon:

Perhaps I should have said it would have been a 33% increase in circumference. But hey, I'd love to have 78% more hair!! :D

naira-m
May 25th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I have 5inch circumference hair, which is pretty thick I guess. To dispel some myths about the weight, I don't think my hair feels particularly heavy, even though it is thick, a lot of it depends on the cut and length which changes the volume of it. Mine is currently at elbow length with long layers, but when my hair was at tailbone length it was obv heavier with the same long layers, it only felt particularly heavier when being washed :)

Octave
May 28th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Definitely not any thicker. It's already difficult to put up my hair in a bun. Let's not talk about my ends...almost impossible to tuck in. :(

ejking2
May 28th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I voted 4", which is about what I have (3.75" not counting my bangs). I don't want my hair to take the entire day to dry. Thick hair may look nice, but it's a pain.

Thinthondiel
May 28th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Right now I have an undercut on both sides of my head, and my current circumference is 3 inches... which is enough for me. I don't know what my circumference was before the cut, but it was definitely an iii. I'm actually happier with the amount of hair I have now, and my hair still looks quite full.

Cinnamoon
June 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I voted 4. My hair right now is a bit over 5, and although I love it, the thickness is a bit annoying. I'm at waist, and I've only just been able to do a cinnabun, and that only barely. The only other bun I can do is the lazy wrap, because my hair is just too thick for anything else. None of the other buns in the articles work for me, because my hair won't wrap enough times. If I do a crownbraid, it looks like a snake is eating my head. Although I like getting comments on my hair's thickness, I wouldn't mind having a little less! :D

henné
June 10th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I have about 3.5 inches now and I would be happier with 4, which it was at before the birth of my daughter. Thicker than that? I don't see a point of having thicker hair than that and I can imagine it being a bit annoying ... I would generally be happier with thicker hairline ... I hate my hairline :demon:

moralita
June 10th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I would love to have much thicker hair. 6 would be ideal!

Astraea
June 13th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I love thick hair. My hair is heavier than my BFF's who's about 6- 7 inches. It has more to do with how coarse it is. My hair is SUPER coarse, you can floss with one strand and it won't break :p!

You nailed it!

I love and have thick hair but mine is light. I've always envied lustrous, very coarse, heavy hair whether thick or thin but especially love the combination thick like my sister's 3a hair. I've come to realize that despite a c.5" circumference my strands are more fine/medium and pretty easy to handle.

I vote as-thick-as-possible!

bionicpaws
March 30th, 2022, 11:28 AM
Probably about 4'' since I get headaches very easily.... Also, paired with the volume I get from the curls, I think 4'' would be perfect :).

I have about 3'' right now....

alewyn
March 30th, 2022, 11:35 AM
I'm fine with my current ponytail circumference (3"), I just wish I didn't have so much taper. I'm only at MBL and my braid tapers down to a teeny little tassel already. I'm hoping with really intentional care that I can bring some of the thickness down.

I love the look of thick hair, but it seems like it would be so much more difficult to care for! I would enjoy not having to worry so much about hair loss, because having a higher baseline would make a difference, but overall I still think a medium thickness is the happy zone for me.

cinamio
March 30th, 2022, 12:49 PM
I have slightly low density hair in certain areas. I would like to have slightly above average thickness, without the hassle of having thick hair. I suppose that I could thin my hair if it were too thick.

Shug
April 3rd, 2022, 12:20 PM
I voted 10, I want some extra weight for when I slap someone with my braid

Bri-Chan
April 4th, 2022, 03:34 PM
I've voted 4 inches.
So, I think my "ideal" would be around 4.5 inches. But I would be super happy with a 3.5 too.
I'm 2.88. I have some area with true low density.

SandyBottom
May 12th, 2022, 08:13 PM
My circumference is currently just about 4" but I have a lot of taper. I voted for 6...love thick hair.

rosenester
June 11th, 2022, 08:46 PM
I would love thicker hair in a way, but I am a actually content with my ponytail circumference, it was just under 4 last time I measured and exactly 4 the first time. My head gets soooo hot with this amount of hair already, so I don’t want more hairs, just slightly more coarse individuals hairs, as opposed to the baby fine ones I have. I guess I’ll vote 4 since I don’t wish for anything drastically different than what my tiny small head already holds, and have no idea how to guess what ‘M’ hair would measure with my current density, but probably still under 5?

Glitch
June 14th, 2022, 03:03 AM
I voted 10, I want some extra weight for when I slap someone with my braid

Hahaha, this answers slaps :p Love it.

Me, I'd love thicker hair but not to where it would start to take me ages to detangle and what not. Pros and cons!

GoatLady
October 15th, 2022, 08:20 AM
Mine is pretty close to 4", right now. If I didn't have bangs, it would be, I think, But I'd like it to be just a bit thicker, so I'm going to vote for 5".

tuanyiji
October 15th, 2022, 09:04 AM
I’m currently 10cm, that’s around 4 inches, I voted 5 inches because that’s what my hair would have been if I didn’t experience the big shed from helping my dad fight cancer over the past year, I am slowly recovering and hopefully I will reclaim this thick ponytail circumference by 2023.