PDA

View Full Version : cindy christian..reality for any of us?

pdy2kn6
March 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Im sure alot of you guys know about cindy christian, a woman from usa who had super long hair a while ago. I don't really know when the video was taken but it looks like it was probably in the 1980's maybe... Anyway, i am starting to think i want a thicker hem and even hair ends, rather than my mixture of so many layers. Do you think it is actually possible to get hair like cindy christians in this documentary ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zisaeGdlaw ). Even it it isnt necessarily floor length, would it be possible to get hair close to that style (ie that kind of hair ends and non-seethrough-ness she has), perhaps at classic length? I know some people on lhc have got hair which is like this but a bit shorter, but i always thought that was just their hair type. Do you think it is possible to get this type style hair and fullness some day for all of us who have got this sort of texture hair (straightish)? I look at my hair now and see the so many different lengths, and fairytaling, and layers, and shorter thinner hairs at the sides of my head, so on and so on, and i just can't imagine it ever being possible, however many years i grow it... If so does anyone have any recommendations on how to go about it ? ie regarding trimming
Do you think its only possible for example if you had long hair as a child and then let it grow? Cindy christian said in that documentary she started growing after her hair was cut short at 12. Hair often tends to be more resilient at younger ages.

aisling
March 23rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
Have you ever seen pics of Lady Godiva's hair (as in the LHC member)? She has gorgeous, straight and very, very long hair with a nice, thick hemline.

pdy2kn6
March 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Have you ever seen pics of Lady Godiva's hair (as in the LHC member)? She has gorgeous, straight and very, very long hair with a nice, thick hemline.

yeah, she was one of the one's i was particularly refering to when i said some of the people on lhc have this type of hair. Im just meaning, it really doesnt seem like a possibility looking at my hair now, i could never imagine, however long my hair grows, i cant imagine it being like that (as in all even lengths and not see through). Would all my layers need cutting out? But then again i think if i get all my layers cut out, by the time i let it grow again I will have the same problem by the time it reaches the length it was before trimming

LadyLongLocks
March 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
That is my favorite hair video!!Cindy Christian is such an inspiration :)
I have long blonde hair that is currently 54" and reaches my knees. I have a blunt hemline.(thinner than hers, but fair volume)
The only layers I have are my bangs that are now at my elbows. I have trimmed so much to keep the hemline blunt. I was trimming so much in the last 2 years that I gained only a few inches in length! People have asked me to grow my hair to the floor, but I have no desire to grow it much longer!
It appeared that Cindy also blow dried, I do too. This makes my hair straighter and smoother.
Hair that is well cared for and healthy is beautiful even if it is shorter. Most people can't grow it as long as her. I guess I am one of the lucky ones that have the genetics to grow it a bit longer.
I do hope everyone views the video since it is so amazing! She did cut her hair after this video, but it was done by George Michael. He did it with respect and love. It was still past her shoulders.
I wish there was more info on Cindy. I would have loved to know her hair care routine and just know her as she seemed like a sweet person.
:heart: Thank you for the inspiration Cindy!

Debra83
March 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Did she really have it cut?

spidermom
March 23rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
pdy..., since you prefer a thicker hem, you will need to start trimming and let the layers catch up to the bottom. You could, for example, have 1/2 inch cut off the bottom every 3-4 months with maybe lightly dusting the ends of the layers if they get dried out and splitty. A good way to do this yourself is lean forward, put hair into top-of-head pony, then slide the pony-holder down to make the ends splay out, then very lightly nip the ends 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch. But only if they really need it.

I intended to keep trimming my ends until I realized that I didn't like the thickness at the bottom - it makes my hair look even bushier to me because it's so much wider at the bottom than it is at the top (where it hugs my head); also it's heavy.

Igor
March 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Ugh, I knew I shouldn’t open that video but I did anyways
I always cringe at her long hair scraping on the asphalt. And her hair “getting caught” in places shudder: (Totally staged. I hope)

But I will say the first and most important step to grow it as long as hers would be to put it up!

JessTheMess
March 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Wow, her hair is quite lovely. I too was cringing when it was dragging on the asphalt and getting caught. Ouch.

burns_erin
March 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
I think it would depend on how thick your hair is. I see you are a i/ii. Lady Godiva is a iii. So it is likely she just has more hair over all.

Does not mean your hair can not be thicker, or long and still beautiful, just means a complete lack of see through may not be possible.

Your hair is lovely and wavy nevertheless!

Elbereth
March 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
I tend to agree with burns_erin. You can't change your hair type, just take care of your hair to your best ability and learn to love it. Every hair type has its pros. Yes, regular trims will decrease tapering, but if you don't have very much hair to begin with, you will likely get see through ends fairly soon. If your hair is a i/ii, you may well be able to grow it classic length, but the ends will probably be fairytale at that point.

BlackfootHair
March 23rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Now I'm curious! I'll have to wait till I'm home to see her hair! Youtube is blocked on this computer.

Debra83
March 24th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Unbelievable!

Heavenly Locks
March 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I cringed when it got caught on things, scraped the asphalt and when they showed her buying a hair dryer! LOL Too much LHC for me. Her hair must be really resilient :) It's beautiful!

I think the key to fullness at the ends with a blunt hemline, is regular trims to even up anything that is thinner. When I reach my goal, I will be maintaining for a blunt hemline.

SimplyLonghair
March 25th, 2009, 12:29 AM
The video reminded me of a lady that I once saw living in Ft Worth TX, she had hair that dragged on the ground by at least a foot and looked like a dust mop on the ends!!!!! O_O :p

The thing is that the rest of her hair looked great. She was an Indian lady with very thick hair. I wished that I knew why she let it drag like it did though. :shrug:

It was the longest hair that I have ever seen though, probably around 6ft long.

Arctic_Mama
March 25th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I would hazard Cindy is likely a ii, her hair does not actually look very thick, just with an abnormally long terminal length. But the braid, itself, is not ridiculously huge. I think you can definitely have a lovely blunt hemline, but maybe just at a shorter length. That is truly an impressive terminal length she has!

Igor
March 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I was thinking she must have an abnormally low shedding rate. Her hair barely tapers at all
/Envious

I would hazard Cindy is likely a ii, her hair does not actually look very thick, just with an abnormally long terminal length. But the braid, itself, is not ridiculously huge. I think you can definitely have a lovely blunt hemline, but maybe just at a shorter length. That is truly an impressive terminal length she has!

Feye
March 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM
It will also depend on the growth cycle of your follicles. If they are programmed to fall out at 5 years length or 10 years. She probably has a long growth cycle, or very fast growing hair.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 25th, 2009, 12:35 PM
wow, wow, wow!!! :D I'd KILL to have hair that smooth, colourful and LONG!

well, actually i'd rather have it waist length :3

Lady Godiva
March 25th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Holy carp, that could be me bending over the dishwasher. Seriously, that's how my kitchen counter and sink are lined up, with the dishwasher to the sink's immediate right. My hair's been caught in the dish rack's tines (or whatever they're called), but never while closing it.

It's so cool seeing someone else do the things I do. Her hair and mine are so similar, except for the color, but we're both stick-straight 1a types. So that's what my hair looks like from behind, especially when she pulls it over the sofa back, when she ascends the stairs and grabs her hair behind her, when she lifts it when she's on the scale (inaccurate method of weighing hair, BTW), when she pulls it out of her raincoat, and when she gets in the car. That's how I'd do it if I wore it down while driving. I used to do that when my hair was knee length, sometimes...

I rather wonder if it's not very representational of her regular days, though. You just can't let it drag on the floor that much without some damage occurring. Especially the concrete. I find myself wincing when I see that.

Really fun to see!

ETA: to the OP, I answered your Visitor Message. :)

AmyJorgensen
March 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Well, it can't hurt to give it a try to grow it like that. In the meantime...enjoy what you already have...as well as the journey toward your aspiration.