PDA

View Full Version : Help with shortie measuring

*BelievingAgain
April 1st, 2008, 08:44 PM
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how I'm meant to measure my hair if it's short.
Do I still do the tape-measure from my front hair-line and over the top down the back of my head, even though the lengths of my hair (I'm growing out a pixie-ish type of cut, so lots of layers) are extremely varied & only about 5-10cm?
I've looked everywhere trying to find a suitable answer but haven't found one, so I'm REALLY sorry in advance if this has already been discussed somewhere on the boards.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D
Jess :flower:

BrianaFineHair
April 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM
Yes, from the front (forehead) hair line to the tip (end) of your hair line at your nape. At least that is how I understood it.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :shrug:

Anje
April 1st, 2008, 09:06 PM
There are a lot of folks who will argue that until you get most of the hair to close to the same length (say, a bob-like style), the standard measurement style isn't particularly relevant. If you'd rather, post the length of the longest strands until the other method makes more sense. No one will think that your head is so small that it's 4" from hairline to nape!

Naluin
April 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
I keep track of both the longest strand lengths and the length from my hairline over the back of head to the bottom of my longest layers.

The first measurement makes it a little easier for me to figure out my growth rate since I last cut my hair, but the second is easier to measure on a regular basis because of my hairtype.

Delilah
April 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
You're starting about where I did :)

I say just measure the longest hairs, people will know what you mean and you will be able to track progress easier that way.

*BelievingAgain
April 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks so much for such quick replies!
From those responses, I think I will just measure a certain section until my lengths meet up with each other a little better. Thanks again!!

Teacherbear
April 1st, 2008, 10:05 PM
People tend to measure their hair to be aware of how much they are growing. Whatever method you use, be consistent with it. If it makes more sense to you to measure differently, then do that. Just know that most people here measure using the over-the-head method. Some people measure dry, some measure wet. Pick what woks for you.

And happy growing! :cheese:

*BelievingAgain
April 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
Thank you!!! Tehehe CheesyCheese busting some moves for you all...:cheese:

suicides_eve
April 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
i was measuring just my bangs until i got to the point were i could almost even my layers up (15 inches in the back side 13 on my front sides) now i go over and down the back of my head

RoachTippy
March 20th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I hope it's ok that I resurrect this thread to ask a measuring question. My hair is all one length and when I part it down the middle and measure the length down the side I'm at 19" but when I do it from the front down the back, like this sight recommends, I get 23". Doesn't doing it this way result in a false measurement?

Roseate
March 20th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I hope it's ok that I resurrect this thread to ask a measuring question. My hair is all one length and when I part it down the middle and measure the length down the side I'm at 19" but when I do it from the front down the back, like this sight recommends, I get 23". Doesn't doing it this way result in a false measurement?

Neither one is "false", you're just measuring from two different points on your head.

Many people like to measure from their hairline to the back because it's easy to know that you're always starting at the same place. Your hairline won't move. If you start from a middle part, you could be parting it in a slightly different place next time, and therefore not get as accurate an idea of your growth rate.

RoachTippy
March 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Thankyou......that makes sense.

Mesmerise
March 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM

I was confused about this at first too! I started by measuring my longest hairs which were about 22" and I was surprised how short my hair was when so many others on the site were getting much longer lengths for BSL+ lol. When I looked up how to measure I ended up with 26" and now I go with that because that's the standard, even though none of my hairs are ACTUALLY that long!

The point is you are gauging how far your hair is getting down your back, not measuring the actual length of the hairs. This way if you continue to measure from the hairline and down, you'll be able to keep track of your hair growth in a consistent way.

Back in the day, I used to keep track of hair growth by measuring the growth of my fringe that I was growing out, so I think there's no real right or wrong way to keep track of hair growth. However, using the site's standard I think, makes sense for putting in your profile as everyone else sort of has an idea of how long that is (if you know what I mean).

RoachTippy
March 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I do know what you mean. And I like the thought of having 23"of hair over 19". :)