PDA

View Full Version : A good hairstyle for everyday!

LovingLife
March 22nd, 2009, 06:18 AM
Ok I have been wearing my hair up in a ponytail quite a lot and I know this is going to damage my hair, so I wondered about a hairstyle which I could wear everyday and therefore protect length. I was going to do a beautiful horizontal sideways french braid that I saw on a Dreamerzn's siggie, however because my hair is quite long in the back (APL) and only 13 1/2 inches in front the extra length was ruining the braid. I would perfer something that would be deemed as quite socially acceptable, and I'm not too good with my hands yet.

Also; First post wooohooo!!!
And, should I post some length pics?:D
Thanks for the help!

kdaniels8811
March 22nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Yes to posting length pics, we love pictures - smile! I wear either and orchid bun or cinabun, I am so boring! My hair is near BSL so the orchid bun works great for me all day and I am fairly active. You can search for it, I never learned how to attach links... Let me know how it works for you.

LovingLife
March 22nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Thank you so much! I wonder if anyone will comment on my pics though...

kdaniels8811
March 22nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Just keep posting. Someone will comment, we are a pretty vocal group here. Welcome to your long hair journey!

LovingLife
March 22nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Thank you so much! How kind!

goldenbrunette
March 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
:O are ponytails reall damaging? cos i put mine in a ponytail to keep it out of the way. should i wear it down??

Evie
March 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Ooooh yes - pics please! Will look forward to seeing them :drama:

mugglemomof3
March 22nd, 2009, 08:42 AM
Ponytails are damaging due to the rubberband used to secure them. From what I gather, that is.

Yes, please post photos. We love them!

Welcome to the Boards.

I was going to link to a thread on a super updo for "short" hair (neck to BSL) but it's in the old archived forum. Basically you do a brad without putting your hair into a ponytail holder first and then kind "fold" or wrap the braid into a "bun" and secure with one hairstick. Super easy once you get the hang of it, and this is how I wore my hair alot the first few years of my LHC adventure. I'll try to get the original poster of that thread to make a new one here. If she does, I'll post a link later in your thread.

AmyJorgensen
March 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Well, damage has degrees of course. I'm sure that putting your hair up in a ponytail is not as bad as flat ironing, but yeah, elastics that hold the pony tail are considered damaging...also securing the hair in the same place all the time contributes to damage there. I don't know if your hair is long enough for this, but if not, later you could try a ponytail bun, where a ponytail sticks out through the bun.

mugglemomof3
March 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
OK. Found it.

Here's the link, which may or may not work. :confused:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47518

LovingLife
March 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Oh my!
I didn't think i would get this many thanks so much!

LovingLife
March 22nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
:O are ponytails reall damaging? cos i put mine in a ponytail to keep it out of the way. should i wear it down??

Well I think you can get away with it sometimes but it pulls on hair and causes it to receed and break off! So you know... if you want to try changing the position so there in not much pressure!

:cheese: don't worry :cheese:

LovingLife
March 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks so much for all of your ! You are lovely all of you!

Also I love that archived updo I will definetly try and post it

LovingLife
March 28th, 2009, 06:56 AM
More please! By the way I don't have any chopsticks as of now!

paper
March 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
OK. Found it.

Here's the link, which may or may not work. :confused:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47518

That is really cute! Thanks for posting it mugglemomof3. I've been looking for something different to do with my short hair. I love too how the ends stick out, cute!

joyfulmom4
March 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I think a french twist is a great style for hair that is layered and growing out. You may find that it slips and falls out all over if your hair is shiny clean, so try it when you have slightly dirty hair or try oiling first or applying a product like aloe vera gel. It will behave better. I can put my dd's apl, somewhat layered, very fine, straight hair into a very cute french twist. But only when she hasn't just washed it. Fresh washed? Forget it.

Another style that's great for layers and shorter lengths is the french braid. I used to french braid a lot when I was growing mine out. Again a little oil or gel with make it behave better. French braids really hold the layers secure. And they're always pretty.

Consider some of the simple "messy bun" styles too. Imo, it's easier to pull off the messy look when you have shorter and layered hair. I love this look too, so "carefree" and chic. But my hair doesn't make a nice messy bun at all.